Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

What are some quick rules of thumb for ship design?
How do I know if I want to use railguns, lasers or missiles?

Play with different designs and see how they go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Honestly, I usually go with just researching lasers since you start with level 1 lasers, then switching to carrier battleships. It seems to work fine. The AI isn't exactly a genius at designing ships anyway :shrug:

I'm not sure they react to your build whatsoever.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Anti-shield weapons like energy siphon just kind of suck
Energy siphons aren't terrible I think, unlike the void beams they have no penalty to hull while still melting shields. If you get them early it might be a good idea to make corvettes with one energy siphon and two lasers. You need level four kinetic guns to surpass their shield damage (unless my math is off) with the same range, accuracy and tracking.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Is there an up-to-date mod that lets you keep your organic portrait with synthetic ascension?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

Cancelling my patreon donation. Wish he’d just sell the forums to some collection of goons or something and we could keep it rolling / losing us money for a few more years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jeffrey From YOSPOS, the admin, said he'd be willing to buy the forums, so that would be very cool.

lowtax could also just as easily shut the whole thing down out of spite, he's not posting or saying anything on the forums but is apparently posting on facebook while all this is going on so, you know, it's that sort of situation

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Cancelling my patreon donation. Wish he’d just sell the forums to some collection of goons or something and we could keep it rolling / losing us money for a few more years.

I have also mashed the cancel button. There is now a list of women who've alleged this kind of behaviour. SELL THE FORUMS, LOWTAX!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Affi posted:

Wish he’d just sell the forums to some collection of goons or something and we could keep it rolling / losing us money for a few more years.

Seriously. A goon posting cooperative that operated the forums would be cool. I'm also now very curious if Lowtax was drawing a profit from this place.

(Paradox bring back Collectivism)

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I mean it's basically being run by Mods and Admins. He does get money from Patreon though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I mean it's basically being run by Mods and Admins. He does get money from Patreon though.

...substantially less than he started the day with, and right before the end of the month too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

T-man posted:

Do we have a lifeboat Discord yet?

screw it, I made a channel in Video Games Discord Chat.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 25, 2020

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Time to upvote epic border gore pics on Reddit;

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

CapnAndy posted:

Do we have a lifeboat Discord yet?

screw it, I made a channel in Video Games Discord Chat.

Wheres the info on the general video games discord? I'm not seeing anything in the forum stickies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ZypherIM posted:

Wheres the info on the general video games discord? I'm not seeing anything in the forum stickies.
There was a thread about it where you had to PM pragmatica for an invite, which I did and got one, so you can do that. But now it's gone (or I hallucinated it???) so I don't know, apparently there's competing ones? This is a clusterfuck.

I can just make a drat Paradox chat discord, it wouldn't be the first Discord I've made today.

edit: if the link can get slung in the ck2 thread it can get slung here too https://discord.gg/AXZDACJ

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 25, 2020

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mapgoons:
https://discord.gg/f9Sg95

Grognard goons:
https://discord.gg/7sgWHb

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't know who's channel this is, but there's a smaller discord here of other goons for Stellaris:

https://discord.gg/QFHaxQ

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DJ Dizzy posted:

Anyone know how to fix this?

I guess I'd start by not naming classes after battles won by the Treasonous Rebellion In Defense Of Slavery?

But "you do you" (as the kids say these days)!

E: The answer for non-trash people is that switching all the ships to a new fleet gets rid of the -1 build/upgrade things, though.

E2: I guess I'd accept that class name if accompanied by authenticated and forensically-dated statements that it was conceived as a celebration of the battle that killed Stonewall Jackson (by he own slaverbois :laugh:)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 25, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How do federations work? I have friendly relationships with some corporate aliens on my borders but they won't federate with me.
Also I made friends with this hive species and they somehow hopped a construction ship over my borders and captured 3 systems behind my back.
Now I have an isolated pocket of territory inside my own vast territory that belongs to the hive aliens and I have no idea how I'm going to get those systems back short of declaring war.

Can I fight a small scale claim war with these hive aliens and then somehow restore friendly relations with them so I don't have to worry about problems later?

Also I've settled a LOT of territory I'm not sure how wide is "Too wide" but I really need to slow down and start fortifying my poo poo.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you care about pretty borders your best bet is to close borders until you've backfilled wherever you want to expand because the AI will absolutely go one or two systems deep to get something they want. The AI will eventually get over you stealing a couple of systems from them normally but a hive mind will be much angrier about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The AI won't ever trade systems, so if you want those systems it's war or nothing.

Also there is no amount of wide that is too wide by itself. The only determinant is your relative fleet strength (including the fleet strength of your allies) vs. a potential attacker.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Just cage the hivemind, the instant any gestalt entity gets uppity it gets reminded that the greatest good for the greatest number means one intelligence no matter how many bodies it has matters less than two random pops. This is also why it's moral to de-cyber those poor fools who go for Tech ascensions. Oh sure, they say they're perfectly happy as members of the Omninet but once you rip them out of it and introduce them to an egalitarian utopia they quickly recant.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I've never looked under the hood in a paradox game because it would lead me to cheating, so sorry if this is naive or thinking too much:

Is the market in single player a real thing or just reacting against you to hobble min maxing? Like if I tank or choke the market price on goods does the AI get affected by price? Can I hurt an isolated system and maybe antagonize them into strategic wars by buying so much alloy they cant afford ships rebuilding, or make say motes so cheap their friends all cancel trade deals? I'd love to play banker like that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The AI does participate in the galactic market (for those that have regular access to it already), but whether you can actually manipulate them into doing anything is dubious.

If you really broke their economies they would most likely just sit around doing nothing.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
The AI seems to be buying alloys at least when going to war. Beyond that? I have no clue.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ran into the same problem the player probably does - never having enough alloys while always having too much of everything else.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've noticed (at least on Grand Admiral) that the AI seems to have too many alloys if anything. They are desperate to get their hands on strategic resources, and you can usually trade 4-5:1 alloys:strategics (which is especially nice if you have space based collection of the latter) by trading directly with the AI.

Market prices reflect this; I generally see food/minerals around 0.5 energy each, alloys for 3e each, and strategics for about 24e each.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That is a nice UI mod.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Bud Light or Miller Lite don’t last long when I play Stellaris. Suboptimal naming!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I've noticed (at least on Grand Admiral) that the AI seems to have too many alloys if anything. They are desperate to get their hands on strategic resources, and you can usually trade 4-5:1 alloys:strategics (which is especially nice if you have space based collection of the latter) by trading directly with the AI.

Market prices reflect this; I generally see food/minerals around 0.5 energy each, alloys for 3e each, and strategics for about 24e each.

I wasnt sure if it was the game being a dick and simulating it or if it was a real galactic economy, but I've totally noticed alloys ramping up in conflict. You can notice if you trade with fallen empires early they won't accept even a fraction of initial trade deals for things other empires dont have tech to exploit so theres something there. Of all the games that have superfluous spreadsheets and graphs, the one that could do with them is lacking and you just have to feel in the dark for it. It would be cool to bottom out their best trade resource and make alloys and food so high you starve them into desperate actions, but yeah the AI might not be there, even if the numbers are.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah, I have definitely noticed the same thing happening when a major war breaks out. There is absolutely room for speculative alloy trading at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I conquered or vassalized the entire galaxy but the game isn't ending. Does it not end prematurely if there's nothing else to do? I have eighty years left lol.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Relevant Tangent posted:

Just cage the hivemind, the instant any gestalt entity gets uppity it gets reminded that the greatest good for the greatest number means one intelligence no matter how many bodies it has matters less than two random pops. This is also why it's moral to de-cyber those poor fools who go for Tech ascensions. Oh sure, they say they're perfectly happy as members of the Omninet but once you rip them out of it and introduce them to an egalitarian utopia they quickly recant.

Hey, my machines live in an egalitarian utopia already! We decided to convert everything to a Gaia world just because we were bored!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mean I know I've already won and all so I'm not going to wait for something to spring unless the crisis happens in a few months here since I doubt it'd pose a threat now, but it'd be cool to see some charts and graphs and stuff like in Civ. Unless Stellaris doesn't do that either?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

e: yeah you might be disappointed. It literally just shows the empire ranking you can see in the situation log.

RBA Starblade posted:

I conquered or vassalized the entire galaxy but the game isn't ending. Does it not end prematurely if there's nothing else to do? I have eighty years left lol.

It'll splash the victory screen if you're the only empire left (and the end game crisis has ended). So just integrate all those vassals!

just quit, and remember to set the victory year to 2425 next time

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean I know I've already won and all so I'm not going to wait for something to spring unless the crisis happens in a few months here since I doubt it'd pose a threat now, but it'd be cool to see some charts and graphs and stuff like in Civ. Unless Stellaris doesn't do that either?

Trigger the crisis manually. Hit tilde to drop down the console, and type:

event crisis.10

That'll trigger off the "natural progression" of the Prethoryn Scourge, which is the "default" crisis. If you're heavily robotised it might be more thematic to use event crisis.2000 which triggers off the natural progression of the Contingency, and if you're all psionic you might want to do event crisis.1000 to trigger off the Unbidden.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow that's super lame lol

I'll trigger the robot crisis since I'm all robot to see what happens and gear up for a new game. This time I'll be some boring ol meatbags so I can't just ignore half the mechanics :v:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
The AI is so stupid in this game its kind of ruining it for me.

I had an ai join me in a war. They sent a fleet to where I was going to invade, which seemed like a great start. Then it just sat there. I was invading by myself. And since their fleet was sitting in the far reaches of my territory they was no fleet to stop my enemy from beelining through my ally's territory to go straight for my home worlds.

The kicker to all this? My ally closed their borders to me so I have to go all the way around which is probably going to cost me the war and the game.

It's really souring me on the entire game

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The great Khan happened right next to me but he's just moving his fleet back and forth between his two systems, for years. Is this a bug or is there a timer before the expansion starts? I don't think I've seen this before but I've never bordered the great Khan when he first rose so I'm not sure.

This is my first game playing fanatic spiritualists, and my first time getting the head of zorqlon. The spiritualist FE showing up saying basically they work for me now was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Best Friends posted:

The great Khan happened right next to me but he's just moving his fleet back and forth between his two systems, for years. Is this a bug or is there a timer before the expansion starts? I don't think I've seen this before but I've never bordered the great Khan when he first rose so I'm not sure.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-2-6-2-e132-great-khan-in-circular-move-order-lock.1364668/