Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Shadow225 posted:

I'm gonna copy paste something someone else said in response to the thought that I think sums it up well.

yeah, don't let perfect be the enemy of good here, you gotta get rid of him somehiow

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Basically this. It's come up in another of my Discord, and a few people are having real misgivings about buying him out, but...it means we get what we want, and he has even more incentive to remain gone.

A buyout is not "alimony." I am fine with a buyout and in fact expect it is the only way SA exists without lowtax short of him dying and having left the site to someone in particular in his will. I do not expect anyone to part with their primary income source for free, much less a cantankerous, lazy dipshit of an rear end in a top hat with no marketable skills.

However, I am not fine with him maintaining any sort of partial or nominal ownership of this site, or receiving any longterm or indefinite and/or percentage based installment payments. If I am to continue posting and contributing as a Unique Daily User (something that contributes to this site's profitability regardless of adblock) then I want to know it is without him involved financially in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Poirier's headlining a loving fight night??? :psyduck:

he's gonna crush hooker like a walnut i think, unless the khabib loss made him weird again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah my moral compass has landed on being okay with a moderate buyout and zero licensing or royalties moving forward. Whoever said we’re looking for a “good not perfect” solution said it best imo. There’s no lowtax gets nothing the people get everything solution. Discord sucks because the forums aren’t a chatroom and while I have no problem migrating to a new site it’s not going to be the same and all the same people are not going to migrate over.

The domain and user base hold the most value and I even wonder if Jeffrey should just rebrand the thing and have the domain forward to it for symbolic reasons. Who am I kidding this lovely codebase probably can’t handle that.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brut posted:

The next PPV isn't in the US and is also featuring 3 title fights so yeah he'd either be at least 4th on that card, or have an event with his name on it.

Meanwhile we just had 250 and that god awful fight night card with Jessica Eye headlining.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Dustin Poirier isn’t a champion. Being the main event of a fight night is fine.
poo poo, Faber would “headline” prelims. They get paid the same amount either way.

e: If you’re a champion who weighs in at 135 or less, though, sometimes you gotta headline a fight night.

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 26, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bluedeanie posted:

A buyout is not "alimony." I am fine with a buyout and in fact expect it is the only way SA exists without lowtax short of him dying and having left the site to someone in particular in his will. I do not expect anyone to part with their primary income source for free, much less a cantankerous, lazy dipshit of an rear end in a top hat with no marketable skills.

However, I am not fine with him maintaining any sort of partial or nominal ownership of this site, or receiving any longterm or indefinite and/or percentage based installment payments. If I am to continue posting and contributing as a Unique Daily User (something that contributes to this site's profitability regardless of adblock) then I want to know it is without him involved financially in any way.

According to Anathanos, Lowtax will get nothing from the site's revenue going forward.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Latest Helwani worth a listen in its entirety. Apparently Platinum Mike is having his girlfriend corner him (and no one else) because she doesn’t what a coach should, sits back and enjoys the show’

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Is that the same girlfriend as before? Blonde lady? Weren’t they an on/off couple or do I have my PMP gossip wrong?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Meanwhile we just had 250 and that god awful fight night card with Jessica Eye headlining.

I mean for 250 he still wouldn't be headlining cuz there was a title fight on there, and I'm not sure what your point is with the other fight night, unless you wanted Dustin to headline both fight nights :shrug:

It's not like he would've gotten PPV points or paid more in any way really, from being on a PPV.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Foul Fowl posted:

i don’t think anyone who posts here actually pays for UFC PPVs

I certainly don't want to give ufc and dana white any money.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

rest his guts posted:

Latest Helwani worth a listen in its entirety. Apparently Platinum Mike is having his girlfriend corner him (and no one else) because she doesn’t what a coach should, sits back and enjoys the show’

He's got a new gf since the divorce or separation from like a month ago?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

He's got a new gf since the divorce or separation from like a month ago?

You've got that timeline backwards.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
What about Renee and Burt who covered for Lowtax? Has anything been said about them being removed?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brut posted:

I mean for 250 he still wouldn't be headlining cuz there was a title fight on there, and I'm not sure what your point is with the other fight night, unless you wanted Dustin to headline both fight nights :shrug:

It's not like he would've gotten PPV points or paid more in any way really, from being on a PPV.

I don’t care about Dustin. I just would have liked if they spread some good fights into those garbage cards.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
In an ideal world I would make sure a bigger % of what went to the ppvs goes to the fighters and avoid giving the UFC anything. But my lizard brain likes fights so occasionally they get my $

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i have found streams to be pretty good these days. Fight Pass is an absolutely awful value with the ESPN deal now.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

jase1 posted:

What about Renee and Burt who covered for Lowtax? Has anything been said about them being removed?

there's threads in gbs and qcs posted by users demanding they be removed, no official word or response on anything yet. also go there and make your voices be heard.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

leftist heap posted:

i have found streams to be pretty good these days. Fight Pass is an absolutely awful value with the ESPN deal now.

ESPN+ works poorly sometimes, and doesn't show you poo poo happening between rounds, either one of these on their own is a dealbreaker for me. I pay $9 for fightpass instead of $5 for ESPN, the difference is like...less than a sandwich, and I also get to not watch ads for random products.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

end of an era rip

https://twitter.com/HeidiFang/status/1276542320217690114

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

jase1 posted:

ive talked to jeffery before enough to feel 100% sure theyll be gone in probably a week or less when the business is done

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i am also 100% sure that yoel romero is going to win every fight he does too though

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I thought I was paying at least SOME attention to the weigh in stream, and I've now scrolled through the whole thing like 3 times looking for this, and I still can't figure out when this picture is from.

Oh wait I just looked at the timestamp, this was posted 15 minutes before weigh ins started so I guess that's just a test, they didn't end up needing it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Brut posted:

ESPN+ works poorly sometimes, and doesn't show you poo poo happening between rounds, either one of these on their own is a dealbreaker for me. I pay $9 for fightpass instead of $5 for ESPN, the difference is like...less than a sandwich, and I also get to not watch ads for random products.

Yeah sorry I worded that badly, I don't think ESPN+ is good, it's just with the deal and now even Fight Nights not being on Fight Pass it's really not as good a deal these days. Their geoblocking seems to have gotten smarter too.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

leftist heap posted:

Yeah sorry I worded that badly, I don't think ESPN+ is good, it's just with the deal and now even Fight Nights not being on Fight Pass it's really not as good a deal these days. Their geoblocking seems to have gotten smarter too.

To be clear I'm US-based and watch all fight nights in full, and all PPV prelims on fight pass. But yeah if I couldn't do that it's not like I'd be paying for fight pass to watch Titan FC or whatever.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I didn't realize Fight Nights were still on US fight pass. In which case it is TSN's fault that Fight Pass is useless.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I dumped FightPass when I realized I didn't watch any of the extra content, and it was easier to make pirate streams work than fight with getting it to stream correctly and then have to hop devices/protocols when going from prelims to main cards or whatever.

I have paid for things when I have filthy casuals over, because they're not gonna put up with janky streams or stream hopping as they go down or whatever. My fight degen friends are used to that poo poo from the days when we watched streams the size of postage stamps and got mad when torrents of PPVs weren't up an hour after airing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

leftist heap posted:

I didn't realize Fight Nights were still on US fight pass. In which case it is TSN's fault that Fight Pass is useless.

They're not.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The explanation of the anti cheat measure seems extraneous.At most, it was fighters resting their hands on the top of the towel or trainers' hands, right?
Now, it'll be obvious if they touch the frame. And sure, it'll be a more obvious if they try to pinch the cloth, but I wasn't aware anyone had been accused of that?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Korean Zombie made a really interesting video about it, by the way

kimbo305 posted:

And sure, it'll be a more obvious if they try to pinch the cloth, but I wasn't aware anyone had been accused of that?

Just recently Calvillo and Joanne Calderwood accused Jessica Eye of pinching the towel

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

The explanation of the anti cheat measure seems extraneous.At most, it was fighters resting their hands on the top of the towel or trainers' hands, right?
Now, it'll be obvious if they touch the frame. And sure, it'll be a more obvious if they try to pinch the cloth, but I wasn't aware anyone had been accused of that?

There were multiple incidents of suspicious weigh ins, most recently last week when Cortney Casey weighed in with the hoop for Flyweight at 123.5 lbs, a full 2.5 lbs below the allowance, those are some heavy underwear.

chaleski posted:

Just recently Calvillo and Joanne Calderwood accused Jessica Eye of pinching the towel

Yeah also that.

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 26, 2020

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

it should also work as a privacy thing for when fighters need to strip too so its a pretty convenient solution to a couple of problems. although im a fan of "veteran moves" like dc pulled so its bittersweet for me

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

the real solution is to stop the entire need for cutting weight, everything else is just patching up a hole with duct tape.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

piratepilates posted:

the real solution is to stop the entire need for cutting weight, everything else is just patching up a hole with duct tape.

I don't see how you do that, even if you have weigh ins at fight time that just means that some idiots will be fighting dehydrated.

Please don't cite ONE FC as doing anything but hiding their weigh ins, it just looks silly at this point.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Brut posted:

I don't see how you do that, even if you have weigh ins at fight time that just means that some idiots will be fighting dehydrated.

:emptyquote:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you want to watch teh fights on US or Canada fight pass the best way is to move your router to japan and then close and reopen your browser before going to fight pass.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think forcing people up a weight class if they cut too much is an OK solution TBH.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

If you want to watch teh fights on US or Canada fight pass the best way is to move your router to japan and then close and reopen your browser before going to fight pass.

How much does it cost to ship my router to Japan

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

piratepilates posted:

Cutting weight will always happen as long as there are weight classes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That doesn't mean it can't be improved you weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

leftist heap posted:

How much does it cost to ship my router to Japan

about $3/month