Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/MairghreadScott/status/1275576589946744833

That's just depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I know I've asked this before but why the gently caress are chuds so obsessed with this woman?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Polaron posted:

I know I've asked this before but why the gently caress are chuds so obsessed with this woman?

She posts about them being chuds.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Vincent posted:

Add one more to the pile. Not egregious, but certainly harassment.

https://twitter.com/lorua_/status/1275440509465444352?s=21

Her story is absolutely hilarious in a way, and terribly terrifying. Here is a grown man that thinks he has some much cachet because he works in a marginalized entertainment medium that is a blip in the grand continuum of pop culture, that he thinks he can swoon a woman half his age to spend the night with him. That and offering some comic books in exchange for sexual gratification?! That is so bonkers and lame, it would be something the comic book nerd from Simpsons would come up with. It is like these people think they are rock stars.
The terrifying part is that he probably succeeds some of the time.

I am sure that in a few years they will make a romantic comedy about it, how one man's determination and never accepting defeat won him the love of his life (NOT!).

I feel bad for the victims of his harassment, and possible dreams and careers he derailed or ended with his unprofessional behavior, and hope this systemic bullshit will go away, because it really makes me start hating the whole comics industry.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't think there's anything on the level of Chester Brown's vigorous apologia of Don't Ask Don't Tell style barely legal sex trafficking but I think it's clear that lives a highly stylized and peculiar life that indicates his life and his work dovetailing down into the same nostalgia-hole.

And I think just a general obliviousness, a sense that the hermetic quality of his approach to his own work shelters him from having to think about the ethical ramifications of it. There's a TCJ interview from around when the big collected Clyde Fans came out where he talks about revising here and there, and making a doll that a character buys more clearly a racist "golliwog"-style toy that was just kind of like, astonishing that he not only looked at his initial drawing and thought "mm, needs more racism" but also felt this to be a fit factoid to share publicly. Not a giant gaffe or travesty but just dumb stuff from desiring to write, draw, and construct a life within a snowglobe that for better or for worse is aggressively rooted in whiteness and nostalgia.
That makes a lot of macro sense (and I now remember but had completely forgotten about the golliwog quote/apologia) but glad to know he hasn't quite devolved/degenerated to a Paying For It level. There's one critic in particular who reserves a particular place of spite for Seth in a way that I've always found disproportionate, and I was worried I had a blind spot regarding like criminal levels of bad behavior from Seth. I think you're spot on for the general analysis/pathology though.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://twitter.com/1horseshy/status/1275511610627391488?s=21

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just putting this in here in case someone needed to find out still.

Watch out, that thread gets very NSFW very fast.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IUG posted:

Just putting this in here in case someone needed to find out still.

Watch out, that thread gets very NSFW very fast.

Yeah. I clicked on the last page at the time to see if anything new had been added and realized A) that no, there wasn't and it's pointless to look and B) it's good once in a while I live alone.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The industry terribleness is coming from inside the forums! :smith:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow. While not as relevant to the forum, that's also bad news about Myke Cole whose novels I've heard good things about.

Myke owns up to his fuckups, at least.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MykeCole/status/1275580398135914497

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And the guy who shut him down was his friend Sam Sykes, which makes me feel a whole lot better because Sam is my favorite fantasy author going right now.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
https://twitter.com/ShawnaGore/status/1275921105773969410
https://twitter.com/NotLasers/status/1275927639807660034
https://twitter.com/artofmmignola/status/1275929084351049728

First two tweets are threads. Not the first time for Scott Allie, but I believe the first time people have spoken out about how widespread it was at work on the record.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Oh hey, Mignola finally disowned him.

Only took ten years or so.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Good loving god. That's beyond the pale.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

And the guy who shut him down was his friend Sam Sykes, which makes me feel a whole lot better because Sam is my favorite fantasy author going right now.

https://twitter.com/MeganEOKeefe/status/1275940451300765696?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Do these people get into the industry for the purpose of going to hotel bars at conventions and harassing women?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

Do these people get into the industry for the purpose of going to hotel bars at conventions and harassing women?

I had no idea writing comics was that hot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not funny, dogg.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No really, do people swoon at xmen writers?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Rhyno posted:

You should go find where Lowtax is hanging out and ask if the women he abused let him do it because they thought he was hot. He could probably do with a chuckle.

I'd tell you to learn to read the room but you've always been a loving creep and I don't think anyone has ever bought into your performative hand-wringing.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 26, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rhyno posted:

What's your loving problem?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

Dig up.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

Predatory behavior doesn't happen because predators are super sexy, it happens when people with power leverage it over people without power, in direct or indirect ways. It happens when people know that they have status or professional privileges that allow them to get away with things they otherwise couldn't-- either from people looking the other way, enforcing a culture of silence, or just not giving a poo poo. This is especially prevalent and pernicious in industries where the line between fan and pro is permeable and blurry-- when getting a big break means having ties with established people and the fostering of new talent is predicated on mentorships that are often unofficial and poorly documented/held to vague standards of accountability. It makes it very very very easy for people with bad intention to groom naive younger people that may be convinced that if they speak out or say no they'll be throwing their career away.

It's something I saw over and over again in academia and in poetry culture and it breaks my heart to see again in comics. It's really not something to joke about.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Predatory behavior doesn't happen because predators are super sexy, it happens when people with power leverage it over people without power, in direct or indirect ways. It happens when people know that they have status or professional privileges that allow them to get away with things they otherwise couldn't-- either from people looking the other way, enforcing a culture of silence, or just not giving a poo poo. This is especially prevalent and pernicious in industries where the line between fan and pro is permeable and blurry-- when getting a big break means having ties with established people and the fostering of new talent is predicated on mentorships that are often unofficial and poorly documented/held to vague standards of accountability. It makes it very very very easy for people with bad intention to groom naive younger people that may be convinced that if they speak out or say no they'll be throwing their career away.

It's something I saw over and over again in academia and in poetry culture and it breaks my heart to see again in comics. It's really not something to joke about.

I would hope by now everyone is aware the specific industry doesn't matter anywhere those power structures exist there exist abusers at some level. Kind of the core issue with male dominated industries; people say just hire more women/minorities but the missing context is they have to play by the institutional "bro code" or they get tossed in favor of the next capable person and so on.

Even for non sexual assault stuff 99% of the time its "Well I saw/dealt with worse when I came up you should be able to deal with this" so for all kinds of horrible behavior and verbal abuse you either accept it or they bounce you for not fitting in.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cole and Sykes's twitter accounts are nearly as bad as Chuck Wendig's so lol

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

How Wonderful! posted:

I'd also add here that convention culture has been a snake pit since at least the '70s, in every industry that hosts one. The entire environment is a breeding ground for bad decisions and predatory behavior, particularly once the show's over and people start getting drunk.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I'd also add here that convention culture has been a snake pit since at least the '70s, in every industry that hosts one. The entire environment is a breeding ground for bad decisions and predatory behavior, particularly once the show's over and people start getting drunk.

Yeah. After I quit drinking I began to notice how much of the networking at professional conferences and stuff I went to was explicitly oriented around people doing high-pressure and stressful stuff at weird hours and then immediately being expected to go and get drunk with strangers holding institutional power over them. Individual abusers are absolutely unquestionably responsible for their own bad behavior but American professionalism is also 100% structured in such a way as to facilitate predatory behavior.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah. After I quit drinking I began to notice how much of the networking at professional conferences and stuff I went to was explicitly oriented around people doing high-pressure and stressful stuff at weird hours and then immediately being expected to go and get drunk with strangers holding institutional power over them. Individual abusers are absolutely unquestionably responsible for their own bad behavior but American professionalism is also 100% structured in such a way as to facilitate predatory behavior.

The Natural Products Expo West is referred to as Expo Sex because its mostly just people getting drunk and loving the whole time; all the serious business connections and deals are done at Expo East in Germany.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

How Wonderful! posted:

It's a phenomenon I've also seen in academia and creative writing, along with the local standup scene here, and what's particularly sad in the cases I know is how everyone else puts so much effort into those fields for *free* or *peanuts* but someone always has to turn what should be an amicable community into power games and ego trips.

Sometimes the question pops up if canceling and divestment are worth losing the genius talents of our time when the real question should be, are they worth kicking so many other people out?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Space Fish posted:

It's a phenomenon I've also seen in academia and creative writing, along with the local standup scene here, and what's particularly sad in the cases I know is how everyone else puts so much effort into those fields for *free* or *peanuts* but someone always has to turn what should be an amicable community into power games and ego trips.

Sometimes the question pops up if canceling and divestment are worth losing the genius talents of our time when the real question should be, are they worth kicking so many other people out?

Yeah, like every single one of these, one writer or artist being an rear end hat to women has cost the community a bunch of other creators.I liked Northlanders, but how many other books don't exist because Brian Woods thought getting drunk and trying cheat on his pregnant wife was a brilliant idea?

Fake Edit: Obviously not the worst part of all this, but I loving hate that the Warren Ellis stuff came out immediately after I got a bunch of issues of Injection but before I read it, so now it's just sitting there, unread and making me feel guilty.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How Wonderful! posted:

I noticed this in gaming conventions. I enjoyed going to gaming conventions and playing a bunch of in person games because I don't get to do a lot of that normally; I also enjoyed hanging out with my friends. My friends all seemed to enjoy sitting in a hotel bar whose ambient sound level was at 80 decibels and drinking twelve dollar margaritas. So I often would move on because I do not drink much (especially at those prices) and the entire experience just became vaguely gross, like people needed to spend money on liquor to visit with their pals.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Fake Edit: Obviously not the worst part of all this, but I loving hate that the Warren Ellis stuff came out immediately after I got a bunch of issues of Injection but before I read it, so now it's just sitting there, unread and making me feel guilty.

What is there to be guilty about?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Good thread by Gail

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1276207466661863425?s=20

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hey all, I'm unstickying this for the time being since it isn't as active as it used to be. I still think it's a valuable resource and a really unique discursive space and above all a good centralized space for informing and disclosing abuse and other bad behaviors in the industry, so if you feel strongly that it should remain stickied let me know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a monumentally bad post on my part and I apologize to everyone for being a tone deaf idiot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1278075147375849473/photo/1

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The longer I stare at it the more confused I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
How can someone's communication with their printer be that bad?