Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MagusofStars posted:

Might have been easier to accept if it wasn't named Chrono Cross, very clearly linking the games. The marketing of "last game, you traveled through time; this game, you're traveling through dimensions" probably didn't help either.

Oh, and maybe don't have ghost Crono, Marle, and Lucca show up halfway through and complain about how your actions affect Chrono Trigger.

Yes but it wasn't meant to be a direct sequel. I think they should've kept the name Radical Dreamers from the SNES Satellite thingy game Chrono Cross was based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

TommyGun85 posted:

theres another series by the same developer that uses the same name but arent sequels....i forget the name of the series though.
not sure what point you're trying to make here because Cross is more than just tangentially a sequel to Trigger.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

As a kid I thought Guile from Chrono Cross was the biggest badass around. Today, same.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

As a kid I thought Guile from Chrono Cross was the biggest badass around. Today, same.

Well he is Magus, the biggest badass from CT.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got a PS3 so after I finish FFXII I can play through all three FFXIII games and read the novels

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

I got a PS3 so after I finish FFXII I can play through all three FFXIII games and read the novels

Enjoy! They're both good! Unlike this derail!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What the gently caress, is Balthier wearing open backed shoes?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I think the first fight with Magus in CT is the perfect JRPG boss fight.

He's real tough, but he has a gimmick that's not impossible to figure out. He hits hard but not unreasonably so. It feels climactic. And it has absolutely sick music.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gripweed posted:

Ivalician Crocs, my man

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

zakharov posted:

I think the first fight with Magus in CT is the perfect JRPG boss fight.

He's real tough, but he has a gimmick that's not impossible to figure out. He hits hard but not unreasonably so. It feels climactic. And it has absolutely sick music.

He's got a very final boss feel too. As far as the party knows, that's the final battle, and I've known a few people that thought the same.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally got some time to put some time into FFXIII. The first 5 hours kinda sucked but now they've actually opened up the combat system and started throwing out enemies that require some actual strategy the battle system is really starting to click and its a lot of fun. Some nice OG FF nonsense has started showing up as well like dancing frogs (:3:) and sentient chili peppers. It also helps that I haven't had to play as Snow for a very long time though the game keeps dangling him over me. The characters are starting to come out a bit more now as well which is nice!

Nice character moment: Lightning snapping at Hope revealing that she is just as freaked out as everybody else and the two eventually bonding over a mutual hatred of Snow.
Weird character moment: Suds' son looks like a cabbage patch doll and he freaks me out a little.
Boring character moment: Every Snow flashback.

One thing I found really interesting though is I've been playing in Japanese and Lightning says Snows's group Nora is named after stray cats (nora-neko) but the English localization apparently makes it into an edgy circa myspace/livejournal acronym. I'm not sure which is lamer but that's some fine localization work at least.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Gripweed posted:

It was something I only noticed when I got that set in FFXIV.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hooray, now I can stay here and post my bad Final Fantasy opinions

forever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

And now there's an unruly child in thigh high boots. Strange footwear choices in this game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If I weren't on mobile I would gladly spring luso.jpg on you.

So someone else please do it, thanks.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This loving guy.

He looks at all RPG classes and decides he can do them all, no problem.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That owns. That is the best outfit I have ever seen.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Hooray, now I can stay here and post my bad Final Fantasy opinions

forever.

Gonna include my forums account in my will, on the condition that my child continues the tradition of talking about how good X-2 is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I maintain if you ever get sucked into an RPG world you should immediately start dressing like this to establish yourself as the main character. He might be a genius to be honest.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It looks more complicated than it is. overalls, giant beret, tights, elbow guards, gloves, ankle wraps, kitten heels. Then a two belt system to hold the sword and pizza book, and a scarf tied underneath that to keep the pizza book from wearing a hole in his pant leg. Its not that impractical.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You put those clothes on only once.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

gigglefeimer posted:

Gonna include my forums account in my will, on the condition that my child continues the tradition of talking about how good X-2 is.

The dril "i will never log off" tweet except it's me talking about how good SNES-era Squaresoft was.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I feel like this image is this thread's equivalent to goatse. Every time I see it I'm like "hello old friend".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

no part of that outfit is anywhere as bad as Thancred's sandals

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gripweed posted:

That owns. That is the best outfit I have ever seen.

The heels as a little cherry on top. Beautiful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The best part is Luso didn't choose that outfit. As soon as he joined Cid's clan, a judge showed up and changed his clothes to that, and Luso's laid back enough to roll with it.

gigglefeimer posted:

I will play it one day. That job and battle system seems awesome as hell.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Luso is just very prepared

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Luso is my favorite isekai protagonist

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mega64 posted:

The best part is Luso didn't choose that outfit. As soon as he joined Cid's clan, a judge showed up and changed his clothes to that, and Luso's laid back enough to roll with it.

Did he do it one ridiculous accessory at a time, like outfit Buckaroo?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Gripweed posted:

no part of that outfit is anywhere as bad as Thancred's sandals

Aren't those just weird full leg caligae with armor on them?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
His feet will get wet when it rains.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FFXII has too many jobs. I don't know what to make Ashe. All the others had jobs that felt reasonably thematically appropriate, but I don't know know what to do with her

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

FFXII has too many jobs. I don't know what to make Ashe. All the others had jobs that felt reasonably thematically appropriate, but I don't know know what to do with her

Black Mage/Red Mage

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Ashe is a displaced autocrat from a previous regime who has decided that the way forward in her life is through anarchic destruction of the conquering nation.

Machinist/Foebreaker. Guns and explosives, baby.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
From personal experience Ashe does very well as a Black Mage/* (I eventually settled on Bushi so I could have her melee through trash fights to conserve MP).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I already made Fran a Black Mage because she's dressed in a black lady wizard type outfit, and Balthier a machinist because he's Han Solo so he should have a gun. Guess I'll do Foebreaker

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Mr. Locke posted:

Ashe is a displaced autocrat from a previous regime who has decided that the way forward in her life is through anarchic destruction of the conquering nation.

Machinist/Foebreaker. Guns and explosives, baby.

A real Edgar Figaro, one might say.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gripweed posted:

I already made Fran a Black Mage because she's dressed in a black lady wizard type outfit

Is that what that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Luso is such a fuckin Legend.