Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think Sonic Colors was a step in the right direction but it traded the bugs for tedium. I just didn't find it fun to play for the most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MikeJF posted:

I'm often reminded with sonic about the story how during the very early development of Mario 64, after they had the basic movement and engine in-place, they made a simple little garden maze environment and then Miyamoto spent many months doing nothing but controlling Mario around that garden, chasing the golden rabbit and interacting with objects and obstacles and fine-tuning and experimenting with the movement system over and over and over until the movement in 3D space felt natural and proper. Trying out ideas, using what worked, discarding what didn't, so on.

It feels very much like over at Sega, on the other hand, when they got around to making Sonic 3D with Adventure they just threw sonic into a 3D space with how they expected it to work and that was kinda that? And when they come up with later ideas, like with Lost World, it very much feels like they just timeboxed the time spent on movement and then an exec dropped in and went 'okay, put a lock on that, move on to the rest of the game'.

Eh, I’ll give them more credit then that. They clearly tried with Adventure 1 and it was fine for a first shot. It’s just that the later games haven’t improved much more as they should have.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Eh, I’ll give them more credit then that. They clearly tried with Adventure 1 and it was fine for a first shot. It’s just that the later games haven’t improved much more as they should have.

They tried with Adventure, but it was more that they tried everything with adventure, instead of refining heavily on one thing. Adventure is seven first drafts instead of one final draft.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They refined it down to three playstyles in SA2, and it still sucked so I dunno.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

that's cause they actively made two of them and the camera even worse though

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1270824351772729345?s=21

I am super happy that Alex Kidd is getting a new game :)

Hopefully the years he spent as a Cashier in Segagaga didn’t embitter him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MJeff posted:

Sonic Team's refusal to iterate is their most frustrating habit.

Silver has interesting gameplay that doesn't work because his game is blatantly unfinished? Never use him again.
The Werehog is kind of shallow, looks stupid and is dragged down by medal collecting so people are cold on it? Never use it again.
The Storybook games are kind of flat after two tries because their on-rails gameplay isn't being well-received? Never make another one.
Parkour isn't perfect the first time we try it in Lost World? Never try it again.

All of those were concepts that could've worked if they'd just tried to improve on them, but they threw them all in the garbage. But people liked wisps and Classic Sonic once, so we have to shove them into EVERY SINGLE GAME. Also, Zavok, for some reason!

I'd suggest the problem is to Sega Sonic is first and foremost a brand, and not a series of coherent gameplay concepts. Whereas Mario has always been defined in 2D or 3D by its tight controls and intuitive platforming, 3D Sonic never even tried to carry forward to gameplay philosophy of the original games and really just zeroed in on the aesthetics and anime plotting. So there's no mechanical foundation for these games to exist on, Sonic's core gameplay has been heavily revised several times and honestly has never been good enough to hang a game on and Sega rather than going back to the drawing board and actually trying to reinterpret the classic 2D gameplay into a 3D environment and work from there just keeps throwing out gimmicks and shallow reinventions.

In the other hand, Robo Blast 2 owns. Kind of funny some rando fans hit the nail on the head way back in the 90s whilst Sega keeps going 'uh okay... what if Sonic were a vampire now?!?'

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 11, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I partly blame the failure of 3D Sonic on not using the villain's proper name anymore.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

I partly blame the failure of 3D Sonic on not using the villain's proper name anymore.

His name has always been Eggman in Japan so this doesn't even work as a joke :v:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

So what are the Japanese lines for that initial exchange in Sonic Adventure?

"I am DOCTOR ROBOTNIK!"
"Whatever you say, EGGMAN."

Because that obviously doesn't work if he already calls himself Eggman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdsaHO-nUG4

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Nostalgamus posted:

"I am DOCTOR ROBOTNIK!"

It's the same. In Sonic Adventure they combined the two so Ivo Robotnik is his actual name and Eggman is his alias/nickname

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m fine with them using both names now like they do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol the shirt

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

"I am DOCTOR ROBOTNIK!"

I believe in the Japanese version he calls himself Dr. Eggman and Sonic’s comeback line is something different. However, in SA2 his grandfather is called Gerald Robotnik in both versions.

Therefore, you could say that both names are canon (his real name is Robotnik but he goes by Eggman).

On a similar note, the whole “Dr. Robotnik!” “Nobody calls me that anymore” exchange in Generations was also changed in the Japanese version. Instead I believe it goes something like this:

Classic Tails: Two Eggmans?!
Classic Eggman: You seem confused, allow me to explain...

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 11, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic's like "Doctor Eggman!" and he says something "That's super genius Dr Eggman-sama!" Boring and trope-y as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g91eoeHM2c&t=859s

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/movies-and-tv/collection/top-deals-gamer-flicks-up-to-40-off/fs_gamerflicksale

If you buy any of the featured movies on this Microsoft sale, they'll send a code for an Xbox copy of Sonic Mania.

The cheapest ones were things like The Last Starfighter, The Wizard, and Street Fighter for $5. Listed prices on the sales page in most cases are the cost for a rental. The Sonic movie is on there for $12.99

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Aaron Webber has moved on from the position of Sonic Social Media

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1273660121986420736

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

He went a bit overboard on the memes sometimes but he’s a good guy who did wonders for the brand. I wonder if his new position within Sega is a creative role? He had a hand in getting Mania and the Hesse shorts made after all.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic no....

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the boost gameplay. I thought the classic Sonic sections of Generations were actually the weakest parts so I’ll give it a shot.

In that case you may not like Colours, most of that game is side-view - not classic, because Sonic has all the modern moves and wisp powers and so on, but there's not a whole lot of 3D in that game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah that's Colours' equivalent to the werehog padding between 3d boost bits. Just, they all actually play really well and feel like a natural part of the game, and it can shift back and forth between the two easily, it's not some entirely different Thing cronenburged onto the good bits.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

now that the forums are dying can we finally agree that sonic mania kind of peaks with press garden.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I am optimistic about the forums future and thus will fight you over the idea that any aspect of Mania could be less than perfect

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

now that the forums are dying can we finally agree that sonic mania kind of peaks with press garden.

it peaks with me listening to metallic madness act 2 on repeat forever

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Titanic Monarch is where the level design kinda falls to its worse impulses regarding stage length. I have never died from time in a Sonic game until that stage.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sonic 3 and Knuckles is better than Sonic Mania, which is just a lovingly crafted imitation.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sharrrk posted:

it peaks with me listening to metallic madness act 2 on repeat forever
I think I might like Act 1 more, but yeah.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is better than Sonic Mania, which is just a lovingly crafted imitation.
Yeah, but Mania is better the Sonic 1, CD, and probably even 2.

You don't need to put it down just because it couldn't surpass the highest peak.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Titanic Monarch is where the level design kinda falls to its worse impulses regarding stage length. I have never died from time in a Sonic game until that stage.

The end of the game had less refinement time than the earlier levels during development, I think. Maybe next time they'll work backwards. Or outside-in.

Also I think the time thing specifically in titanic monarch came about because it's almost easy to forget that time is a thing in Sonic games. And then they were making levels that were long enough that it was a factor, but because they were familiar enough with them, they didn't realise it.

If Mania 2 were to ever happen, it wouldn't surprise me if they just dropped the time limit altogether for everything except the scoring. Or just go to three Sonic-2-sized acts instead of two Sonic-Mania-sized ones, although that might not play nice with the way that they tend to have substantial art and setting changes between each act.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 27, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Screaming Idiot posted:

This is true but it’s still very good.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oxyclean posted:

I think I might like Act 1 more, but yeah.

Yeah, but Mania is better the Sonic 1, CD, and probably even 2.

You don't need to put it down just because it couldn't surpass the highest peak.

Not putting it down, but S3&K was a masterpiece and I will use all my political clout to oust the vagabond who dares to suggest otherwise.

Also, it's not hard to be better than Sonic CD.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
stairmaster is a known troll who spends all his days in a weed cloud talking poo poo about leftists on a podcast so id take his opinions on sonic games with a grain of salt and several live rounds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I would pay a lot of money for a Sonic 3 Complete style release with widescreen.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mania would be better than 3&K if it wasn’t 2/3 retreads of older zones.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I was playing some Mania yesterday and i think that game's Lava Reef Act 2 might be my favorite stage in the series from an aesthetic perspective. the cooler colour palette combined with the music is so good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pants Donkey posted:

Mania would be better than 3&K if it wasn’t 2/3 retreads of older zones.

I love Mania but I’m not sure they would be up to the task of making a game of entirely original levels to that standard. Mania also has a really weak final boss imo compared to 3K.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lava Reef certainly had the best music in the game.

And that's not like a backhanded compliment that the original stuff doesn't measure up or whatever. The music and the aesthetic as I played Lava Reef, I just felt genuinely so happy as I played that level. It was incredible.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I would pay a lot of money for a Sonic 3 Complete style release with widescreen.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sonic 3 AIR is basically the definitive version of the game for me now

https://sonic3air.org/