Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It is seeming more and more probable that the Evans-approved grown-up way to deal with an abuser is to try to be nice and go-along-to-get-along. So gross.

And I understand fully that there are situations where you can't get away from your abuser and the safest thing to do really is to be meek and quiet and play nice with them until you are able to get away. This ain't that. Not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Angular Cyrus posted:

This site seems to have every Garfield strip at a readable size.

Hah, the trousers in the picture being destroyed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

hi-def Garfield makes me happy

also Overboard pirates wear masks!!!!

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

this took me over 9000 hours in mspaint

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:vince:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

lmao

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 10, 1939)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Julet Esqu posted:

It is seeming more and more probable that the Evans-approved grown-up way to deal with an abuser is to try to be nice and go-along-to-get-along. So gross.

And I understand fully that there are situations where you can't get away from your abuser and the safest thing to do really is to be meek and quiet and play nice with them until you are able to get away. This ain't that. Not at all.
Actually, I'm reading it the opposite way - the Evans suck, but Anne is very clearly meant to suck, and the fact that she's just doubling down after Tiffany decided to give her another chance is a deliberate writing decision they're making. I'm unsure if they realize quite how abusive what they're writing is, but the point seems to be that even when Tiff is trying to 'be the grown up', Anne is going to keep moving the goalposts and trampling her boundaries whenever dear old dad is out of the room.

I could be wrong. I don't have faith in the writing. Anne is gross. But if they were really going to play the 'just get along' card, I'd expect Anne to suddenly and uncharacteristically be tolerable to deal with now that Tiffany has backed down, thus validating that the problem all along was Tiffany. This ain't that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

same

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Cautiously optimistic about last night's news, but it never hurts to have a bug-out bag ready.

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 14, 1933)

Peanuts (June 29, 1973)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 26, 1937)

Out Our Way (August 27-29, 1934)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Nenonen posted:

NO, they aren't!
You know, Hitler thought those were not ways to win internet arguments too.
This is nice.

Also it's his own fault for throwing out his kickin' shoes.

F Minus

Mark Trail

You know, this whole week could have been all this exposition happening over the phone between Mark and his editor rather than the editor talking out loud to no one and that would have made more sense and allowed the artist to draw different things to keep it more interesting, but who am I to criticize?

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Phantom reverts back to his teenage years: "Whatever, Dad! This is totally bogus anyways I am out of here!"

Pooch Cafe

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Did that guy just open a box with a bomb in it or something?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex's face in the first panel. I'd never thought I'd laugh at Rex Morgan MD

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Why is this fat turd making GBS threads on dark chocolate? Is he suddenly a discriminate overeater?

Modesty Blaise

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian Jul. 30th- Aug. 5th, 1979

A slave revolt, a dead slaver, getting an excuse to leave these assholes to their imminent doom... I'd call that a pretty good week.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens Fuckin gross!

Kevin & Kell loving GROSS

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Even for Fastrack this is a terrible strip. Is Trellis actually telling Deathany to bring her books from Deathany's house? She can buy her own drat books!

And if there's no titles on the list, what does the list say? Just "Books"?

Also gently caress that Safe Havens.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FrumpleOrz posted:

This is the equivalent of those people that cut breathing holes in their masks.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Even for Fastrack this is a terrible strip. Is Trellis actually telling Deathany to bring her books from Deathany's house? She can buy her own drat books!

And if there's no titles on the list, what does the list say? Just "Books"?

Also gently caress that Safe Havens.

I also can't imagine that Mrs Trellis doesn't have any books at all and I'm guessing all of Dethany's books are like goth poetry or something.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

MariusLecter posted:

This is the equivalent of those people that cut breathing holes in their masks.

I'm almost certain the strip has shown snake doctors. Surely she could use whatever they use, or at a bare minimum, effectively cut eyeholes in a sock-like mask.

Edit: Yep, a Dr. Caduceus is apparently the GP for half the cast. It doesn't appear that he's ever been depicted wearing a mask, though.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 27, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

curtadams posted:

What really dates this is that it was published a few months *before* 9/11. OBL was a known terrorist, but not a major figure at the time. It's an amazing coincidence that McGruder picked *him* for the punchline.
I remember reading these strips in one of the printed collections but never realized this miniarc was before 9/11, holy poo poo.

Transmodiar posted:

Why is this fat turd making GBS threads on dark chocolate? Is he suddenly a discriminate overeater?
Because he's an obstinate boomer who hates the idea of eating healthy in any capacity.

Also I'll post my comics later but for now I'm saying I'm dropping modern Dick Tracy, because while I don't expect the cop strip about cops to go full ABOLISH THE POLICE, it did go 'it's our job to serve and protect!' a few days ago and that's just nauseating considering the current climate.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Is her problem because she doesn't have ears? Because nobody in the whole strip secures their masks behind their ears.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

catlord posted:

Conan the Barbarian Jul. 30th- Aug. 5th, 1979

A slave revolt, a dead slaver, getting an excuse to leave these assholes to their imminent doom... I'd call that a pretty good week.
The earlier plotlines seemed Conan-y enough but this one has had been so ham-handed it feels like a parody. I was chuckling at the early setup with all the characters acting like stock characters from a grade-B monster movie in a modern setting. The denouement of the plot has been just as bad - if the slaves could get free so easily, why did they wait for a rumor of a werewolf they'd be away from if they left anyway? The werewolf just appears out of nowhere in human form? And why is Ysabella suddenly such an idiot and how does this fit in with her earlier flirting?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Wait, are they protecting their food from Godzilla-sized bears, or regular bears?

Get Fuzzy 6/25/00

Brenda Starr 8/10/41

Smokey Stover 3/15/36

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I hope somebody reading this is assiduously printing out every Smokey Stover and completing their daily cut-up for grown-ups.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

...if the page-long list wasn't of titles, what was even on it?

quote:

Masks are for protecting other people goddammit

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 27, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

curtadams posted:

The earlier plotlines seemed Conan-y enough but this one has had been so ham-handed it feels like a parody. I was chuckling at the early setup with all the characters acting like stock characters from a grade-B monster movie in a modern setting. The denouement of the plot has been just as bad - if the slaves could get free so easily, why did they wait for a rumor of a werewolf they'd be away from if they left anyway? The werewolf just appears out of nowhere in human form? And why is Ysabella suddenly such an idiot and how does this fit in with her earlier flirting?
It was worth it just for the panel of Conan saying that he's not afraid to say slavery is wrong to whoever can hear him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

curtadams posted:

We're not quite at the denouement just yet, I checked the next few Sundays real quick and it looks like we have 3 weeks left of this storyline (it ran from 6/11-8/26), so maybe we'll find out if there's an explanation for any of that or not.

You're not wrong that this is a b-movie storyline, but I could see Howard doing a Conan story that was, in fact, a b-movie monster story with Conan. The God in the Bowl is almost a detective story, Beyond the Black River is a western... but again, you're not wrong that it's been pretty weak. It's not longer than the other storylines, but it does kinda feel like it. Conan fights a werewolf would make the basis for a pretty good story, but this could have been tightened up some more.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I am simultaneously dreading and very hopeful about Billingsley’s take on George Floyd.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Caphi posted:

...if the page-long list wasn't of titles, what was even on it?

"A book

A second book

A third book

Another book besides that

More books

Books

Actually, since I'm not going to be using these except as decoration, just cut the spines off your own library and bring me those"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 25, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

I hope somebody reading this is assiduously printing out every Smokey Stover and completing their daily cut-up for grown-ups.

And playing with the Brenda Starr paper dolls, too.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Toivo Rönkä is landlording, Anja Koskinen tries to run her clothing store and Rauno Santanen wants to get his slingshot in order. All will end up in very strange, but maybe not too surprising, places later in life.

This is a very distressing mammila

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Selachian posted:

And playing with the Brenda Starr paper dolls, too.

I wish I could find it now, but I recently saw a poster or promotional thing for the 1933 adaptation of Little Women that featured paper dolls to put on Katherine Hepburn that reminded me of the Brenda Starr stuff.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Paper dolls were pretty popular for a while there.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue posted:

B Kliban

I just got an idea for a new avatar ...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics later because I'm feeling lazy.

Dick Tracy is cancelled.

BIRD GANG

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nemo - September 16, 1906

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That's some wild perspective for a 1906 comic strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese: Slavin, to quote Homer, bites the dust, or Corto: 'Jesus take the wheel!', or You know, you could have just... knocked Clark out and left him behind...