Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gambina and Sorbus were very cheap alcoholic beverages sold by the Finnish national alcohol store, Alko. They were very popular with winos and hobos, as well as kids looking to get drunk cheap.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

"The fat in these cookies is greatly reduced," I said, being a normal human being who speaks normally,

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm amazed Ed didn't start an argument like "Reduced in comparison to what?"

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

The swears were censored in the original and I decided to leave it like that, I felt it's kinda funny.

Pajatso is a Finnish gambling machine, humppa is a form of fast-paced music, already old-fashioned in 1980.

I got nothing on Zango! ("Kill Him!"), but Kutusumppu ("Wildest secrets revealed!") might refer to an actual movie. Kutusumppu might be translated as "fuckpad".

The greaser is a new character, Raimo "Rami" Kukkula, son of mail-lady Aune Kukkula. He's a bit strange as a character, having a major part in this mini-arc and then he just disappears. Other kids we have seen before, boy in Mämmilän Mullistus-jacket is Atte Syrjänen, girl in glasses is Tiina Santanen and the little boy is her brother Rauno "Rane" Santanen. Boy in blue jacket is some rando, but the blonde girl might be Anu Eronen who is a major character much later. As far as their ages go, I can fairly certainly say that in 1980 Atte is 9, Rauno is 6 and Tiina is 14.

LazyQ fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 11, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I love how we can read through the censoring anyway.

Language is about as I remember it at that age. Kids talk the same, all over the world.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

Duck

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

**** does Cuno care?!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Security in the dreamscape was never the same after Flip did Slumberland 9/11

Old School Peanuts (Nov 19, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 14-15, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby

(Mar 22, 2016)

(Jun 10, 2020)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 25, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/26/00

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 8/17/41

Wodehouse readers will be familiar with the term "soup and fish" for men's formalwear, which derives from the fact that you usually only wore it to fancy multi-course dinners.

Smokey Stover 3/22/36

A small change in Smokey's design here, as Holman starts drawing him with his helmet tied onto his nose.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

At least family circus' insufferable "look at these cute kids" gimmick vaguely resembles the behavior of real children.

Rose is rose really is the worst

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

When I say that Team Evans may be trying to portray making nice with her abuser as the "right" thing for Tiff to do, I am not saying that I think the power of Tiff's kindness will make Anne come around, or that her dad will suddenly realize that Tiff is nice and Anne is mean and dump Anne, or that Team Evans will make it come out well for Tiff at all. Team Evans HATE giving Tiff nice things.

What I think is more likely is that Tiff will become that person who exists in far too many families in real life. Constantly shat upon. Constantly the scapegoat. Grimly continuing to put up with abuse and never ever cutting the person off. Not because they are unable to get away, but because they are trying to be the grown-up and do the right thing and because saying they will no longer put up with the abuse would hurt the FAAAAAAAAMMILY. And what I fear is that we, the readers, are supposed to look at this and think, "Wow, that Tiff. It's so sad what she goes through to keep her FAAAAAAMMILY intact. She's so brave. Wow, she's grown up so much." When actually it's bullshit and she should head for the hills. (And again, no shade whatsoever to people who find themselves in this very real situation IRL. My objection is if Team Evans are trying to say that voluntarily subjecting yourself to abuse so your dad doesn't feel bad is a good and proper thing for an adult young lady to do.)

Of course, it is still possible that Tiff will get sick of this poo poo and tell Anne Eiffel to kiss her rear end, and I hope she does. But it's Team Evans writing this and they seem to love watching Anne grind Tiff under her heel, so I don't know...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hey while you’re here you should post your comics of your avatar using dismembered women as toilets. those were real cool

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That is really the absolute worst Rose is Rose comic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1978 Comics to make up for yesterday.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how did Cultist-chan manage to get newspaper syndication in the first place

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

That is really the absolute worst Rose is Rose comic.

It feels weird to say this but I hate that baby.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hwoof

like, I usually try to give writers and artists the benefit of doubt, but there is absolutely no way that "female attributes in a male = falsehood which correctly thinking society cannot tolerate to exist" isn't the 100% intended message that's encoded here, I'm pretty sure I'd think that even if I didn't know what Detorie is generally up to.

e: on June 27th, no less. I had the tiniest bit of doubt left about it being intentional but nope. He must have thought about how to sneak that in for a while.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 27, 2020

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hwoof

like, I usually try to give writers and artists the benefit of doubt, but there is absolutely no way that "female attributes in a male = falsehood which correctly thinking society cannot tolerate to exist" isn't the 100% intended message that's encoded here, I'm pretty sure I'd think that even if I didn't know what Detorie is generally up to.

e: on June 27th, no less. I had the tiniest bit of doubt left about it being intentional but nope. He must have thought about how to sneak that in for a while.

What is the significance of that date? (ps gently caress transphobes)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Day before the initial Stonewall riots. Well it kicked off in the night of 27th to 28th so depending on how you look at it, day of the initial Stonewall riots. Probably a few anniversary events happening this week and specifically these days, I imagine.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 17, 1939)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I've never been so worried about Mordock's comment(s) for the day.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ikanreed posted:

At least family circus' insufferable "look at these cute kids" gimmick vaguely resembles the behavior of real children.

Rose is rose really is the worst

ill say it

oh baby! is better than rose is rose

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Up next: The Tinkersons get botulism!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EBB posted:

ill say it

oh baby! is better than rose is rose

It's more interesting, if nothing else.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

1. Holbrook what the gently caress is it with you and pregnancy??? Holy poo poo???

2. There are plenty of AMAB folks who would gladly carry a baby to term if they could, so doubleplusfuckyou.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 17, 1939)

You can't just have another guy named Cesario. We already have one!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

Hobbits don't wear shoes. This is like the number 2 fact about them after being short

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (featuring Good Ol' Mr. Sack) (June 30, 1973)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 27, 1937)

Out Our Way (August 30-September 1, 1934)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It feels weird to say this but I hate that baby.

I once had a rant to my friends about that goddamn baby. Easily the thing I hate the most in newspaper comics, but try explaining that to someone who doesn't follow comics like us.

Conan the Barbarian Aug. 6th- Aug. 12th, 1979

Oh no, not Ysabela. :geno: Yeah, sure she's attractive Conan, but she's kinda awful.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

catlord posted:

I once had a rant to my friends about that goddamn baby. Easily the thing I hate the most in newspaper comics, but try explaining that to someone who doesn't follow comics like us.

worse than Ed Kudlick?