Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

SiKboy posted:

After far too many hours in Isaac, the Dice Room is pretty much the one thing I still always have to look up. I remember what a 6 does, but can never keep straight what the other numbers do.

You can see the dice/effect in one of the corners of the pip-rug, but that requires knowing what the different dice do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Psychedelicatessen posted:

You can see the dice/effect in one of the corners of the pip-rug, but that requires knowing what the different dice do.

I dont understand what you mean? I'm looking at screenshots of the dice room now to see what I've been missing, but I dont see anything in the corners of the pip-rug? Are you sure this isnt the effect of a mod you've forgotten you installed, or am I just being blind?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My troubles were caused by a six. What's apip rug?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Pip rug means the rug on the floor of the dice room, which shows a number of pips on it, similar to dice. On the corner of that rug, there's a picture of a die with a certain number of sides. I've circled it here:

That icon corresponds to the various dice items in the game. The One room for example, has a D4 icon. The D4 will re-roll your run, which is what the One room does. Here's a full explanation of all the dice rooms:

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Dice_Room

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Wildtortilla posted:

Painfully I just learned what a dice room is in Sheol. Had a loving awesome run and was a killing machine. Then I found a dice room that turned me into a floating legless hobo clown that shot coins but I couldn't just shoot, instead I dropped the coins and could put a bunch down... then when I released the right stick they scattered uselessly at anything except enemies. I have no idea how I was supposed to control that bullshit.

Satan was insurmountable.

I'm furious.

I had an awesome run and used the Bible to kill Mom and Mom's Heart. I then used it to kill Satan. Yeah, don't do that.. Shortly after that I decided to install the items explained mod.

I had an awesome Lost run going and got double-tapped by a brimstone shot. Nothing could be done.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Pip rug means the rug on the floor of the dice room, which shows a number of pips on it, similar to dice. On the corner of that rug, there's a picture of a die with a certain number of sides. I've circled it here:

That icon corresponds to the various dice items in the game. The One room for example, has a D4 icon. The D4 will re-roll your run, which is what the One room does. Here's a full explanation of all the dice rooms:

Huh! Wiki says it was added in Afterbirth+, and I just never noticed! The screenshots I was looking at were from here: https://bindingofisaac.fandom.com/wiki/Dice_Room and must have been taken pre-ab+.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Painfully I just learned what a dice room is in Sheol. Had a loving awesome run and was a killing machine. Then I found a dice room that turned me into a floating legless hobo clown that shot coins but I couldn't just shoot, instead I dropped the coins and could put a bunch down... then when I released the right stick they scattered uselessly at anything except enemies. I have no idea how I was supposed to control that bullshit.

Satan was insurmountable.

I'm furious.

Sounds like anti-gravity plus head of the keeper.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Sounds like anti-gravity plus head of the keeper.

It definitely was partly head of the keeper, I got it again on my current run. Except this run is 1000x cooler than the one I hosed up last night. I'm currently a flying bat with 10 hearts, all a mix of soul and black, shooting long range, shotgun spread, giant coins. I have a helper than collects red hearts and turns them into soul hearts. A swarm of flies occasionally fly out to attack my enemies too. This game rules.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
If I got all of the achievements from the PS4 version and its expansions (1000000%) is it worth getting it again for PC and the mod support? Looking at stuff on the steam sale and wanting to hit $30 to get $5 off and I plan on getting the command & conquer remaster.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Schremp Howard posted:

If I got all of the achievements from the PS4 version and its expansions (1000000%) is it worth getting it again for PC and the mod support? Looking at stuff on the steam sale and wanting to hit $30 to get $5 off and I plan on getting the command & conquer remaster.

Being able to turn off curses with a mod is a big QoL improvement. If you fiddle around with the versions, you can get the big Antibirth mod working, which is supposed to be amazing.

Antibirth is getting turned into the next expansion, and it will certainly be out on PC months before any other platform.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

SiKboy posted:

After far too many hours in Isaac, the Dice Room is pretty much the one thing I still always have to look up. I remember what a 6 does, but can never keep straight what the other numbers do.

Unless you're going for Boss Rush/Hush, always take the 5 pip dice rooms AFTER you kill the boss of the floor. They reroll the entire floor, meaning you get a treasure room, shop, floor loot, boss item and maybe a deal with the devil twice.

I do the same with any trapdoors I find. I save them until I clear the floor* in case it's a path to the next level then dive in hoping for an item, pile of loot or black market.

Anything that gets you extra free items can make you an absolute monster for the rest of the run.

*By that I mean forget them 50% of the time until I jump through the trapdoor in the boss room screaming "drat it!"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wildtortilla posted:

It definitely was partly head of the keeper, I got it again on my current run. Except this run is 1000x cooler than the one I hosed up last night. I'm currently a flying bat with 10 hearts, all a mix of soul and black, shooting long range, shotgun spread, giant coins. I have a helper than collects red hearts and turns them into soul hearts. A swarm of flies occasionally fly out to attack my enemies too. This game rules.

Dark Bum is a top tier familiar imo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dark Bum is a game-breaker

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Wild T posted:

I do the same with any trapdoors I find. I save them until I clear the floor* in case it's a path to the next level then dive in hoping for an item, pile of loot or black market.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a trap door that leads to a 2d room or the black market will always have a ladder, while one that leads to the next floor has no ladder; so saving those for the end should not be necessary.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Carpator Diei posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a trap door that leads to a 2d room or the black market will always have a ladder, while one that leads to the next floor has no ladder; so saving those for the end should not be necessary.

Yup.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

On a related note, if a bedroom has a clean bed it will have a crawlspace under the carpet, but if it has a wet bed it will have a trapdoor to the next level.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

It’s a neat idea but it’s only useful if you remember what all the different dice items do, which I do not and never have.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
dark bum means you win the game basically. remember when dark bum did a 1 to 1 payment with no spider chances? god that i could go back

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I still am on the same run as this morning - dark bum rules. I've won every game I've had him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got Dark Bum on one of the first floor item rooms on one of my ultra-hard attempts. That was just cruel.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I play this on Switch and just noticed all the stats displayed in screenshots (along the left of the screen) on the back of the game case. I've seen all that info in screenshots online but I always assumed it was coming from a mod on PC. Is it possible to display that info on Switch?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not a mod, it's built into the game. Check the options menu, it's there somewhere. Might be called something innocuous. There's an additional option to show the last 10 (passive) items you've picked up at all times too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It used to be a mod called "spidermod," then there was an item put into the game that was a robot spider that did the same, and then it turned out that it was too nice to have to be locked behind an item so it was just put into the options

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
That run really delivered! Dark Bum was a major asset. My shotgun coun tears eventually became enormous and hit like trucks. I became Guppy for the first time. Made a giant swarm of flies. Got 99 bombs (all the secret rooms are mine!!!).

What a wild ride. I think I understand how it's possible to post this game for hundreds of hours. It's full of the weirdest, weirdest poo poo, and it feels really good to become a badass.

I think the highlight was finding a secret room that had four golden chests while I was holding a Jera rune. Happened just after I hosed up a whole bunch and got down to two hearts. Those chests contained so many red hearts and Dark Bum did what he does. :D

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Send help I can't stop playing this game

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Wait until you unlock Greed(ier) mode. It's not... fun.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think Greed mode is plenty fun. Greedier mode less so, but you onky have to complete one Greedier run per character, right?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yup, but it's much easier to max out the donation machine in Greedier mode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think I wound up cheesing the Greed machine with a blue hourglass exploit that may have been since patched.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Yup, but it's much easier to max out the donation machine in Greedier mode.

How come?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

I think I wound up cheesing the Greed machine with a blue hourglass exploit that may have been since patched.

It did, yeah.

Count me as someone who actually enjoys Greed mode. Just for the sake of some variety + different strategies and ways to break compared to normal runs. It's sometimes volatile and lovely, but so's the main game.

Speaking of, getting a bit weary of hitting double digits on my Eden streaks only to be served up an unwinnable plate of poo poo. Bad stats plus a rock-filled Fistula boss room. Oh, it turns out Fistula does 1 full heart of contact damage because ???????? gently caress off, game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ready for the next expansion!!!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Wildtortilla posted:

What a wild ride. I think I understand how it's possible to post this game for hundreds of hours. It's full of the weirdest, weirdest poo poo, and it feels really good to become a badass.

Now you're getting it! Soon you'll be able to watch NorthernLion's very first gameplay video and have an utter conniption about all the stuff he misses. Fast forward 2,000+ vids and he still makes stupid moves but at least recognizes it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Ariong posted:

How come?

The donation machine in Greedier has a lower chance to jam compared to Greed mode.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Filling up that stupid machine was probably the least fun I've had with this game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
So close to finally 100%ing this again. Just need Tonsil trinket and Dad's Ring. So annoying getting the secret room pool. Maybe Chaos can do it in the shop or something.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Would going for Boss Rush to Hush and/or Chest give the most chances you could find the items you're looking for?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Waffle! posted:

Would going for Boss Rush to Hush and/or Chest give the most chances you could find the items you're looking for?

Breaking Greed probably.

Ariong posted:

I think Greed mode is plenty fun. Greedier mode less so, but you onky have to complete one Greedier run per character, right?

Not even! As long as you can accept the unlocks aren't worth it. I've got like 4 characters that still need greedier and it just ain't gonna happen.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
No red hearts, only two still hearts. I have endless nameless and a jera rune.

I find a heirophant card. Endless nameless procs three times while using the heirophant. I get excited and grab all those soul hearts while forgetting I'm holding jera.

Goddammit.

Another lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

The donation machine in Greedier has a lower chance to jam compared to Greed mode.

You get so few coins in Greedier though! Surely it would still be more efficient to do Greed runs with different characters. The jam chance is tracked seperately for each character, right?

Some Goon posted:

Not even! As long as you can accept the unlocks aren't worth it.

I cannot.