Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 9: King for a Date

Nimbasa has the first TM shop, very useful ones here, Thunder Wave for catching, that'll go on Corazon, while Return is a good strong move for those in happiness. Also, uh, for Corazon. We're not made of money, so we'll come back and buy the rest later.

Nimbasa City

Nimbasa City: Lit by the Flash of Lightning!
From nimbus, rain cloud, and cumulonimbus, clouds associated with thunderstorms.
Raimon City: Shining city where lightning sparkles.
From 雷文 raimon (meander), a decorative border from a continuous line, and 雷 rai (thunder).

This is the kind of poo poo I have to work with if I want full view city images, ones that were uploaded in 2012. But since this city has a lot of big landmarks, it's fine I guess, especially when the B2W2 images, which are nice and big and clear, start looking a lot different.

A Pokemon that can use Strength can push a big rock even when it is not fighting! If you want to push some rocks around, go to Route 16! Thump! Thump!

Remember to check random houses for HMs that aren't necessary, but are still super helpful.

Oh, my! Your Swoobat seems to like you! That's so nice to see. Makes me want to give you this!

Bit pointless now, but Corazon will still hold it to keep Return at a good damage, especially when we start feeding everyone Revival Herbs because I am a reckless bitch.

Sun Stones are stones that make certain Pokemon evolve! I gave it to Petilil as a present!

Bicycle

Hamlet prefers this over Take Down, for sure. Since we have the biiiiiiicycle, let's quickly pop to older places, mainly to revive the fossil, but there's one other thing.

How is your Pokedex coming along? Can I see it? Let me see... oh, you've seen 51 Pokemon in the Unova region! It seems like you are meeting Pokemon at a good clip! Here! This is a gift to thank you for all your hard work!

False Swipe is a move that is very helpful for catching Pokemon, because it keeps the target from fainting! Keep up the good work!

It's a little awkward coming here now since we get a TM for seeing 60 Pokemon, but by the time that happens it'll be too far to bother with, it's only for Protect, which isn't something for the story anyway. We could've gotten this TM after seeing 25 Pokemon, which was around when we first arrived in Castelia.

Alright, haven't been back since the theft, let's see how peeps are doing.

From the outside, you can't see their functional, efficient design. It's almost as if it is an embodiment of their former essence... so fascinating!

I think they're fine.

This is Tirtouga! Please take good care of it.

Our fifth team member already, boy I wonder who will be next? This was suggested by Funky Valentine.

A different vein of fossil compared to Skulletor, but Gamera is starting off strong with a perfect nature and the right ability, hot drat! With 21/23/13/17/27/4 IVs, it'll be super loving slow, but Aqua Jet helps with that, and it'll hit drat hard!

Ah, I found the other fossil in my other pocket, go figure. Archen is suicidally strong, but healing and team support makes it a great choice for story, go with your heart for which one to go for.

"Restored from a fossil, this Pokémon can dive to depths beyond half a mile."
"Said to be an ancestor of bird Pokémon, they were unable to fly and moved about by hopping from one branch to another."

It lives again, Tirtouga isn't as impressive as Archen, but it's a bulky and dependable turtle that also puts in a world of hurt. It starts off a little weak with Aqua Jet and Ancientpower, but they're both perfectly serviceable moves. It's a bit of a while before evolving and its stats will feel mediocre at that point, but Brine and Smack Down aren't the worst options. Around when it evolves and gets a good host of TMs and HMs is when it'll really shine, but until then, you have to make due with, ugh, Rock Tomb, Return and Bulldoze for the time being. Still, with Solid Rock, high Def and good Atk, it'll be a smooth journey.

Think this bird isn't a good choice? Not with that attitude! Archen is a little tricky to use due to Slaking syndrome, where it's a little over the top, but would've been pretty good without a godawful ability loving it over, but it has some good points. Unfortunately you get it at too high a level for it to have Wing Attack and Rock Throw, but Pluck and, ugh, Rock Tomb are fine enough. It quickly becomes ridiculous with Acrobatics at 28, giving it an amazing move to spam, as well as nuke if you luck into some Flying Gems. Doesn't get much else until Crunch just before evolution, but uh, all it really needs is Acrobatics. Still, it can get Bulldoze and Return, and while its ability is a pain, it's fast enough and hits hard enough that it should be just fine, you can always heal it, so it works really well in story.

Now we woosh back to Castelia to nickname another Pokemon.

Our shiny needs to evolve before it can become a Musical star, but she still needs a name, like this one suggested by Leraika, I don't want to know how many names they've gotten voted in, but I guess they know just how to please the thread.

With all that over with, it's back to the big city. Uh, the other big city.

I am sorry... it may be too early for you to challenge a Battle Test. Please come back after you finish your journey and build your strength.

Postgame then. That's all the small buildings, so let's take our pick with the massive locations we'll be spending a fair bit of time going over each.

Gear Station has trains where you can battle other Trainers. The Battle Subway! You're a Trainer, aren't you? Please just accept this without a word!

If you have a Vs. Recorder, you can record battles with friends or on the Battle Subway! Anyway, this woman of mystery will go somewhere... that's right! She'll go to the Battle Institute!

The Vs. Recorder is pretty similar to before, but it has some cool new features, you can still save battles and whatnot on it.

Now you can view your Battle Subway streaks no matter where you are and can even see your records and ratings for various online competitions. That are no longer a thing. But they were.

Gear Station

Oh hey it's the battle facility. Wait, already?! Well, kinda, let's see what's on offer.

There's 3 different modes, Single, Double and Multi, but the Super versions are the classic facility battling, we can't do that just yet, but the regular versions are open and available to us, if we're ready for it. Wi-Fi Trains is identical to the Single line, 3v3, but the AI you face use Pokemon from trainers that have used the Battle Subway before! Finally, we can go to Anville Town, sounds like an important location!

At least we don't have to wait until postgame to try for these TMs, though while you can save up before then, no need to do too much. Sludge Wave is probably the best move to go for, but if you're wanting to properly tackle this mode, you'll want most of these moves eventually.

That's a lot of items! Some of those are pretty useful! Why are they so drat expensive?!

With the exception of the Anville line, none of the others go anywhere, so we can't take the Super Doubles line to Unity Tower. Dunno where the heck the Wi-Fi and Double lines are going, there's absolutely nothing out west. Same for the Super Multi and Single lines, though the latter is a little close to the Pokemon League, though not exactly. And then the Multi line goes to the... Dreamyard? Sure.

Wi-Fi train is postgame anyway, but you don't get anything for higher streaks, you can't fight the bosses at the end, unlike the Single line, and only get 10BP each streak.

Best way to show off the Battle Subway is through the Multi line, it's by far the easiest one, though if you don't have a local friend to do it with, what are your options?

We can use our regular team for this, no legendaries or carefully crafted movesets required!

You're challenging the Multi Train for the first time, right? You can't take this challenge alone. You need a partner! Are you here by yourself today? Why don't you team up with me, then? It'll be fun!

OK. I'll focus on Attack! Then, let's begin!

Now, please board the Multi Train.

Choo choo, motherfuckers.

Battle Subway

This track starts off silent and as you go through the seven carriages slowly the instruments get added one by one. With how many times you'll be doing this, you'll get bored of the buildup eventually and just wish they had the proper track in the entire time. If you even play with music on.

Pet Fights on Subways!

So you can quickly see why this is something you can do right now. The regular lines only use Pokemon from Unova and most of them are unevolved at that! You can face some trickier ones as you get towards the end, but all Pokemon are set to level 50, even ones below that level, making it very easy to just jump in with whatever you have. Plus, since your Multi partner uses the same pool of Pokemon in both this and the Super lines, they're ridiculously overpowered, making this line the easiest to grind for early BP.

Corazon will help somewhat, but this is the Krookodile show now. I won't show the entirety of this seven streak, but none of our Pokemon fainted, some battles we didn't even take damage!

Alas, they've also clamped down on the facility trainer dialogue, so it's not as wild as in previous games. Still some gems here and there.

I think we'll be just fine. Hilbert/Hilda have 2 pools of Pokemon, one for Attack and one for Defense. If you select the balance option, they'll pick one each from the two pools, though the order will be random. Defensive Pokemon do have their place in battle facilities, but nine times out of ten, you'll want to pick Attack. Mainly because fast offense works best in these modes, but also a few Defense Pokemon aren't really all that amazing, no matter the mode they will always use Unova Pokemon and some of their choices aren't... amazing. Right now we can go with anything, but the Super lines do not gently caress around and it depends on what you want to compliment your team.

Alright, this is the last battle. Previously this was when you got Pokemon from the next set, which were usually tougher.

That is still the case, but it's much less notable in the regular line. Each trainer has their own pool of Pokemon, but that pool could apply to multiple trainers and the pool can be pretty drat big, sometimes featuring evolved Pokemon. You face specific trainers as you go higher in streaks, but since the regular lines only go to 21 battles, there's not much variety.

But anyway, don't want to go over too much, otherwise there won't be much to talk about when I properly take on this facility!

Since you've won seven in a row, I present you with these Battle Points!

Please enjoy your time here. If you would like to continue your challenge or go back to Nimbasa City, please talk to me.

Ah, phew, at least I can heal my Pokemon here! You reach a stop after every 7 streak and there's really not much here, so let's head back.

Subways are cool, but boy are they unhealthy to stay in for too long, and they're hot as hell!

There's one more stop to make, and this is one you don't want to miss out on!

Anville Town / Anville Flute

Alright! We've made it to... where are we?

Anville Town: Rolling Out the Steel Rails
Refers to cumulonimbus clouds, which have an anvil shape, as well as a literal anvil, and ville.
Kanawa Town: Kanawa refers to intersecting iron rings.
From 金輪紋 kanawamon, a pattern based on interlocking rings and 鉄輪 kanawa (iron rings or iron wheels).

All righty! Let me explain!

It is the fastest long-distance high-speed train in the Battle Subway! This is called a pendulum car. Its body tilts while going around curves, so it can run without slowing down!

Neat. Each day a different car will be at the turntable and we can hear its description. No need to hear them all now, we'll need to do so... much later.

I work as a Depot Agent on the Battle Subway! Have you tried challenging the Battle Subway yet? It's a hot spot for those who want some serious battling action! But some people get too wrapped up in their battles, and there's no end to the lost-and-found items. That's right. Nobody ever came to pick this up, so I'll give it to you!

No worries. No worries. Just take it! It's better for a Trainer to use it than for me to hold on to it. I'm sure the item is happier, too!

A very worthwhile venture, after every streak of 7 you do, another lost item appears and can stack up to ten. You always get a Rare Candy at first, but you can also get Full Restores, Max Revives, Elixirs, and all 6 stat drinks, so it's definitely worth coming here after a long Subway session!

Otherwise, there's really not much to this town until the weekend, when a bunch of enthusiasts come here to trade items. I'd say this one isn't too worth it.

This is the best offer, I think, since you get a free Star Piece every day, and PP Ups aren't the easiest to come by.

No. Those are the only 3 trades that'll ever get offered, you can do them once on Saturday and Sunday, but otherwise that's all Anville Town offers! There's basically nothing there... and that's okay! It's a cool little town to just have a bit of fun in, but we won't return in this LP.

Well that was a fun distraction, I'll clear this place out soon enough, though the bosses at the end of the regular lines use actual teams, so it'll be a bit before I can take them down. And of course we shall return to take on the Super lines with Pokemon chosen by YOU! Later. Weren't we chasing some Plasma grunts or whatever?

The One Who is Captivated by Equations

Alright, I knew I could count on this guy to help stop Team Plasma. I think I'm even starting to like him.

Let's ride the Ferris wheel and see if we can spot them. I love Ferris wheels. The circular motion... the mechanics... they're like collections of elegant formulas.

Okay, this? This is a date.

My first date with a boy was going well, but turns out he is my mortal enemy?!

I'm not his biggest fan, but he tells it like it is.

At least 150 or more to see.

You're safe, sire!

There's no problem. You're part of the people we brought in to help us save the Pokemon. So, you're under my protection, as well. Go, quickly, and let my battle cover your retreat.

Oh sorry, we were pretty close in the pod, so I got distracted by your eyes.

So that's how it is... that's unfortunate. Ah. Then... the future I envision... perhaps I can't beat you here and and now, but I'll battle you anyway to buy time for these members of Team Plasma to flee.

Plasma King N Battle

Well even if he is the leader of Team Plasma, we've beaten him before, we'll do it again!

Of course his team is, again, completely different. Someone went to the Desert Resort. For some reason.

Time for Gamera's debut in a totally legal Dive Ball, don't look at me like that.

Gamera gives no fucks about Darumaka, which is good because they're scary otherwise!

You loving legend.

You're quite strong. But I have a future that I must change. And, for that future...

I'll make all Trainers free their Pokemon! Just try and stop me! If you want to be together with Pokemon, your only hope is to collect the Badges from each area and head for the Pokemon League! Try and stop me there, if you dare! If your conviction is not strong enough, you will never be able to defeat me.

Nimbasa City

Hmm, well he might be trying to change the world, but was that technically asking me on a second date?

Aw man there's still the Gym to cover and we're not even halfway done going over everything.

Hopefully we can catch this mon soon, it's driving me crazy!

Ooh, Touya! Are you interested in musicals? Then, let's go in together!

Alright let's, urp, go to the Pokemon Musical. Sorry, nearly threw up there.

Musical Hall

I'm the owner of this theater. Pleasure to meet you! Ooh! I must say that you two seem like phenomenal Trainers! What do we do here? We use Props to make your Pokemon fashionable and glamorous! Do you want to join in and play Dress Up? To get you started, here's a Prop Case!

This Prop Case lets you store Props for decorating your Pokemon! First off, you need to pick a Pokemon! Then... it's time to play Dress Up!

Alright, uh, well, it's a little early for Camillia to be doing this, but thankfully we're not required to do a Musical to progress the plot. Not that they take long anyway...

Sure, whatever. I could go into detail about this side mode and why most of it is pointless and the rest is incredibly boring, but then I wouldn't have anything to talk about later! And I have a lot of words for this fraction-of-a-Contest later.

Utterly charming! If you have a Pokemon who can play Dress Up, you can participate in the Pokemon Musical! Would you two please join us? The receptionist can explain everything. Let us say a brief farewell! I eagerly anticipate seeing you on stage!

Oh, I don't know what to do! Doing the musical would be totally cool, but there's other stuff I wanna do. OK, that's it! I made up my mind! I'm going to see the sights in Nimbasa! See ya, Touya!

I don't have any Props, so I'll give you this instead!

With the move Echoed Voice, the power is boosted more and more if it's used every turn. Having a group use it might work well!

I apologize in advance if any of our Props don't suit some kinds of Pokemon. Pokemon are individuals, after all!

We shall return... sooner rather than later.

:siren: Unwavering Emotions :siren:

I've come to take you back home, of course! Your mother told me that you'd made it all the way out here. Haven't you gone far enough?

No way! I'm going to keep traveling with Touya and my Pokemon!

Absolutely not! Others do things their way, and we do things ours!

Is that so? Then, how about you do things your way, and I'll do things mine!

My name is Elesa. I'm this town's Gym Leader. I also happen to be a model. You know, there are many people in this world. There are people whose way of thinking may be completely different from yours. Sometimes, this means you may get hurt.

Of course! That's exactly right! It's because I'm worried about that...

But it's important to keep trying, to learn about the differences between yourself and others... to learn that being different is OK. And you shouldn't worry. Trainers always have Pokemon at their side. Pokemon are wonderful. It's not only how cute they can be, but also how much you can depend on them...

I know there's gonna be painful stuff like you're worrying about! I know! Really, I get it! But, like, listen... there'll be tons of nice people, too. Know what else? Since I've been traveling with Pokemon, I've already gotten tougher, I can totally tell. So... please?

Hmm... I guess. If wanting to continue your journey is selfishness on your part, wanting to stop you is selfishness on mine. I'm surprised to find I'm the one being childish--at my age! This Gym Leader's comments helped me wake up. Bianca, I'm sure it's better that you take the path you want to take now. I hope your journey will be fun. Bon voyage! Touya, please... take care of my little girl, OK?

I'm sure he traveled as a Trainer himself, in the past... being a parent must be hard. Did I meddle unnecessarily? You looked troubled, so I decided to chime in. By the way, if you're Trainers, please stop by the Pokemon Gym. I'll teach you a little something about how tough a journey can get.

Nimbasa City

"like Elesa!"

Mm. I wonder how I'll get there. Well, before that, I guess I need to discover what I really want to do! See you later, Touya!

You, who like training, and you, who don't like training! Let's train our Pokemon by giving them these!

A Pokemon's Speed decreases when it holds a Macho Brace, but it grows stronger! It's a tool that is a bit difficult to use, but that's the way it goes!

We'll do some training out on Route 16 before we take on the Gym and while we could similarly do the same on Route 5, we don't need that much training, I have a plan after all. How about we do some F O O T B A L L

I injured my hand, so I can't sign autographs! I'm sorry about that. So, what does the autograph on your Trainer Card look like?

The Big Stadium and Small Court don't really have anything, after all, it's humans doing sport, and that's not interesting, but they're a way to get infinite exp pretty quickly. To begin with, there's only the one trainer, but as you get more badges, more trainers pop up until you get 5 in the postgame. They all scale as well, so even trainers from the start will have level 65 mons at that point, very worthwhile, especially because you get items from specific trainers afterwards! These appear randomly in the postgame and give an interesting variety, from Rare Candy, to Nuggets, and even PP Maxes!

I am training to be the very best with my Pokemon!

S P O R T S

Let's see which option is next door.

Is this handegg? I can't keep these different names straight.

I'll improve by having a lot of Pokemon battles!

How does this keep happening?!

I won't make excuses for losing! Why waste time dreaming up excuses? I'll spend that time getting stronger!

These are the times each sport is available, with the listed time when the areas are closed for actual S P O R T S to happen. This is also where you'd find the Infielder, Linebacker, Striker, Hoopster and Smasher classes in this game.

We'll do a quick lap, that's our exercise for the month, and next time, it's Gym time. Oh joy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The sports dome is pretty cool. Spent a looootttt of time there in the post game. iirc all their dialog updates too, which is cute

also

quote:

My name is Elesa. I'm this town's Gym Leader. I also happen to be a model.
This is probably my favorite line in the game. It's so...silly.... I think she even does a fancy pose for it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elesa's so cool, and Unwavering Emotions is one hell of a musical piece. That scene is very good.

The whole thing with N in the ferris wheel is also very good.

Man, BW were so good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I get what Elesa is trying to do, but it feels a bit presumptuous to hop into a conversation between father and daughter to immediately undermine what the parent is saying.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sending small children on an unsupervised journey with magic animals is so normalized that anyone trying to prevent is is clearly wrong in this world.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Crosspiece posted:

My first date with a boy was going well, but turns out he is my mortal enemy?!

Hey, that's my favorite light novel!

Gamera is looking great in that Dive Ball. It's so strange that there's still no regular way to swap the ball your mons inhibit. Just let me catchGod in a Master Ball and then put it in a Nest Ball afterwards!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

werbear posted:

Hey, that's my favorite light novel!

Gamera is looking great in that Dive Ball. It's so strange that there's still no regular way to swap the ball your mons inhibit. Just let me catchGod in a Master Ball and then put it in a Nest Ball afterwards!

But then how will people know of my wise decision to master ball a patrat or whatever?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Even soccer and basketballs have the Pokeball color scheme.

I love it. :allears:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Unwavering Emotions is one of my favorite tracks from the series. Such a touching piece.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

Crosspeice posted:

BLACK OR WHIIIIIIITE

BUT YOUR HEART ALWAYS KNOWS WHATS RIGHT

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I get the appeal of putting fancy accessories on your Pokemon for shows, but did they really have to call it straight up "Dress Up"? I don't think five-year-old girls are going to be your target demographic here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jade Rider posted:

I get the appeal of putting fancy accessories on your Pokemon for shows, but did they really have to call it straight up "Dress Up"? I don't think five-year-old girls are going to be your target demographic here.

Dressing up Pokemon is a great idea and the game shouldn't shy from calling it what it is.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hi, I'll keep posting here as long as this place still stands, this is where I have an audience after all and, uh, the next update is halfway done. Hopefully there's a really popular offsite that everyone goes to worse case scenario, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, I've invested too much into my next 2 LPs to just stop there, but after that might be the end, who knows. In any case, I'm mostly active on the Etrian Odyssey Discord where I'll post new updates regardless. Hopefully this wonderful community can pry this forum from Lowtax's awful, lovely hands and we can continue like usual!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Hi, I'll keep posting here as long as this place still stands, this is where I have an audience after all and, uh, the next update is halfway done. Hopefully there's a really popular offsite that everyone goes to worse case scenario, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, I've invested too much into my next 2 LPs to just stop there, but after that might be the end, who knows. In any case, I'm mostly active on the Etrian Odyssey Discord where I'll post new updates regardless. Hopefully this wonderful community can pry this forum from Lowtax's awful, lovely hands and we can continue like usual!

My dude, I'm sticking with this LP through thick and thin, this kind of content was why I joined and noone can poo poo on the amazing LP community that has grown here in SA.

And come on, we have to enjoy the biggest curveball when it comes to Gyms in the series, I love the upcoming one.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020
Sorry for my ignorance but I'm new to the SA community, what's going on?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Allosauroidea posted:

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm new to the SA community, what's going on?

Guy who owns the forum has been outed as a serial spouse-beater.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 10: Fun Switch Gameplay

Route 16 Summer

Man five seconds and we're already facing the loving fuzz.

Nothing scares me when I patrol with my Pokemon!

So here's the ugly duckling, doesn't really look that ugly, but anyway it's pretty useful in battle. It's has mediocre attacking stats but gets the right moves, so it's all okay! It starts off with Aerial Ace and Bubblebeam, though it gets Air Slash pretty quickly. It has alright defenses so you can use Featherdance and Aqua Ring to stall, especially when you get Roost later, but otherwise it's a perfectly alright mon that'll do you just fine. It gets Scald and Surf and Fly soon, so it has utility, nothing amazing, but definitely okay!

If you ride a Bicycle, you zip along! If you are with Pokemon, you can do many things. It's fun to do things you can't usually do!

This route is definitely frontloading its fights...

Do Pokemon also feel calm in nature? Or do they also enjoy the glitz of cities?

Thankfully you don't have your HA or these animations would take forever! Minccino is designed around its HA for the most part and is pretty mediocre otherwise. Tail Slap is a pretty alright move, it's a boosted Doubleslap and has around 80BP on average, but it only has 85 accuracy and that will screw you eventually. But after learning that it's free to evolve whenever, though you can wait until 31 when it learns Wake-Up Slap for some coverage I guess. Of course, you can slap Return on it and have lots of special moves, it'll be just fine, but it's missing a lot of potential without its HA.

"They greet one another by rubbing each other with their tails, which are always kept well groomed and clean."

Woahhhhhh, HMs, been a while!

Off the cheery side road and into the creepy forest!

Lostlorn Forest

Hmm, got a waterfall here, but that HM is usually far into endgame, oh well.

Some people enjoy things you might not think are fun... having lots of different values in the world makes it a richer place. That's what I think anyway. I really enjoy traveling around the world and talking with different people, but the woman who lives here seems to think living quietly by herself is important.

Hmm, this seems familiar. Well I'm sure it's not important. Let's catch some Pokemon, gently caress yeah!

"It can return to its Trainer's location regardless of the distance separating them."

There's a couple of Pokemon that can't be found on the nearby route here, so it's pretty important! Though important is not the best descriptor for this mon...

"Forests where Swadloon live have superb foliage because the nutrients they make from fallen leaves nourish the plant life."

Gurl, same. I hope you got what you needed from Sewaddle, as Swadloon learns Protect and that's it! Still, what it had is enough to carry it... to a point, but it can learn TMs just fine and as it gets more and more friendship, Return pays more dividends. It doesn't do much else, could use Payback I guess, but the earlier you get it, the better, since happiness evolutions are always a pain. While it's a big toasty cinnamon bun, it doesn't have any new tricks or excel in any way. The perfect millennial.

Another one, we're done with the forest, so let's see what else is here. You are seeing that right, it already has 105 SpAtk at base, at the expense of basically every other stat. That makes it perfectly usable since it hits REALLY HARD. Unless you catch it in the dark grass, however, it won't have anything to use it with except Hidden Power, but it very quickly learns Psyshock, a fantastic move it'll have for the entire game. It can be pretty survivable too, starting off with Recover, and will even learn Future Sight as it evolves. It definitely needs something to hit Dark types, so uh, hope you got a good Hidden Power! Seriously, it gets sweet gently caress all for special coverage cause it's all locked lategame, the earliest is like Flash Cannon before Gym 7, not fun! But if you need a Psychic nuke that is slow and can't take a hit, here's an absolute monster!

"They drive away attackers by unleashing psychic power. They can use telepathy to talk with others."

A journey to find something new! That is my goal. For example, that big rock! You can push it with the move Strength!

"and I win Pokemon battles!"

Just because you have Protect doesn't mean you have to use it every other turn, I say to myself every single Pokemon game.

Most people don't know this, but coming to Nimbasa and riding a Bicycle is very popular.

Boy I hope we don't have to wait 20 updates to cross this!

Mmm, permanently solved Strength puzzles gives me life.

Curses, my one of many weaknesses!

I keep traveling to forget my sadness... but the sad memory returns every time a season passes.

Woah, some Dark STAB for Liepard, amazing. Speaking of seasons, yes we are now in summer. We were last update, I'm sure you noticed, I definitely didn't!

Ah dammit I need both of these. But of course I'll pick YA BOY first.

"Inhaling the gas they belch will make you sleep for a week. They prefer unsanitary places."

Score, it's even got a Black Sludge for Milli. So here's the trash bag with eyes, what a fantastic concept, I love it. However this guy does have a few problems in this special-based Sludge Bomb world. Indeed, the first physical STAB it'll learn is level 54, so I hope you like... Take Down? gently caress. It evolves kinda late for its stats, so I hope you like base 60 SpAtk, cause it'll be using Sludge Bomb even if it doesn't want to. Still, for physical coverage it has Return and Payback and... that's about it. Early Sludge Bomb will do some damage, even with low SpAtk and Body Slam from the relearner after evolving helps too, so it's passable, but boy is it just on that edge.

"These Pokémon vanish and appear unexpectedly. Many Trainers are drawn to their beautiful form and fur."

Here's the other mon or whatever. That's all we can catch here...

Unless we run up and down like idiots for 10 minutes. Now, hey, I can see the fear in your eyes, I know you don't want to be reminded of this mon, but you have to face it eventually and see that it's pretty good, even if its average mixed stats don't carry it all the way to the end. Shock Wave is a good start, and Electro Ball does the same damage if the enemy is even one point slower than it, so that's nice. Then it gets Acrobatics at 30 and that's when things start cooking, it's always a great move to spam. Otherwise there's not much, Volt Switch later on doesn't work too well in SP, but it has its occasional uses, while Discharge is a great endgame alternative to Thunderbolt. If you were expecting much else, coverage only goes to Pokemon that already have lots of moves already, so Return and U-turn are your best bets, maybe Charge Beam if you're feeling cheeky. And that's all she wrote. Well not me, I'm a he, but it's just a turn of phrase and furthermore

"The energy made in its cheeks' electric pouches is stored inside its membranes and released while it is gliding."

Ah drat I didn't have one of those berries! Oh well, if you want some interesting picks, then get used to running around lots for shaking grass. Of course Audino is the main attraction, but Emolga is a 10% encounter and if you want to save a Shiny Stone, then Cinccino is 5%. This also applies to Lostlorn Forest, where you'll find the drat monkeys again, as well as Unfezant! Leavanny! And Audino... at a paltry 45% rate due to how crowded that place is, you're pretty likely to stumble onto something different at least.

:stare: So what does this one do in comparison to le blob? Well it's not as strong, which is a negative, granted, but it can at least take a hit and do alright damage back. They have very similar movesets, so an early Psyshock will help a lot, but instead of Recover we get Embargo, hrrrmmm. But coverage in Faint Attack! It's not much, but it's there! It'll be pretty similar, though it trades Flash Cannon for Thunderbolt. Either version has their Psychic option, it just depends if you want the bulky one or the nukey one. I know what I'd choose...

That's Route 16 done, pretty small, but hey, do you want to see ANOTHER Relocator event???

Uh, okay, no one taught me how to fight an actual person. Like I'm active, but I'm still a weak nerd.

Man, another Fire legendary already. Entei is a pretty powerful mon, but while Victini has event locked moves, Entei doesn't get much in the way of physical STAB, it only-

NANI?! Well you've done some dumb events, maybe you brought over time fairy or glitter dog, but what is your reward? Well it has all the stats in all the right places and immediately get Night Slash, neat! It doesn't get Night Daze until 64. Not neat! As a fragile Dark attacker, Zoroark is perfectly fine and will trick the AI for years to come, but as far as moves go, it has a fair few issues. It gets Focus Blast soon enough, but Flamethrower and Shadow Ball are far away and that's about all it gets. It can definitely run physical, and it will for most of the game, Aerial Ace, Return, it'll even get Swords Dance. In the postgame. It has the stats to cause a stir but not the moves to do so, and that was something Lucario never had a problem with, so it fell into obscurity, some wondering how the heck it ever got a movie. Shame it's a pain in the rear end to get, but that's what sequels are for!

"Bonds between these Pokémon are very strong. It protects the safety of its pack by tricking its opponents."

Alright, we're finally done with Relocator events. If you transfer over one of the shiny beasts that were given out to promote Movie 13, they do nothing in HGSS, then you can get a Zoroark, so hey it's another way to get this line if you didn't get Celebi. You can't get any of them now so the point is moot, but the shiny beasts are interesting in their own way. And hey free shiny, why not.

Zoroark was using its illusion to trick people and Pokemon. It wanted to keep people away from its lair. I heard this place was suspicious, so I came to have a look, but it looks like I was tricked as well. Zoroark really reacted strongly to the Pokemon you have with you... there must be some history there. A quarrel, or something. Such a beautiful field, in a place like this... it's almost as if this lovely scenery is the illusion!

Yep, if you do this event the back half of the area completely changes. There's no items or anything, it just looks nice, like Route 224.

Woo wild Pokemon. So the legendary beasts were available from Jun 18th to Aug 31st 2010 in Japan and Jan 3rd-9th 2011 in NA for Raikou, 17th-23rd for Entei and Jan 31st to Feb 6th for Suicune. All were shiny to promote the 13th movie and all had fully unique interesting movesets. Let's start with Raikou, who got Zap Cannon, Aura Sphere, Weather Ball and Extremespeed. All moves it didn't have before, and the last three it still uses to this day. Amazing coverage, cheeky weather abuse and fantastic priority. One issue though is that the beasts were nature locked, so Raikou, even if it only wanted Aura Sphere, and it really, really did, would be stuck with Rash, +SpAtk, -SpDef. Mints in SWSH solved this, but if you want to use previous generation Pokemon in official competitions, you need to wipe their moves, so it's a moot point overall. Huh I said that earlier...

ANYWAY, Entei got the absolute loving payload with FLARE BLITZ, which was the best physical STAB it got that wasn't loving Fire Fang until Gen 6 with Sacred loving Fire. It's been a long road, but this event was the best luck it'd gotten in nearly a decade. Uh, right, so it also had Howl, Crush Claw and EXTREMESPEED. Okay they all got that, but drat this was amazing for Entei, two crucially important moves that no longer made it an absolutely joke. It was Adamant locked, but ohhhhh noooooo, how terrible. Lastly, Suicune didn't need much help and it didn't really get any, with Sheer Cold, Air Slash, Aqua Ring and Extremespeed. The middle two were nice, but not a necessity, it only got Gust and Tailwind otherwise, so some nice coverage was, uh, nice, while Aqua Ring was nice recovery if you didn't go RestoChesto Calm Mind Scald route. It was Relaxed locked, +Def, -Spd. So yeah, uh, Zoroark was a cool bonus or whatever.

Enough with the side stuff, we've got to meet our maker.

Pokemon Gym

Would you ever have guessed that this Gym is a roller coaster? OK, let me fill you in... and take this, too!

In this roller coaster Gym, the first step is to get in the car. Next comes the platform! There, you can change where the coaster is going! Sometimes you continue by riding the cars of opponents you defeat. That's how you aim for the Gym Leader! By the way, Electric-type Pokemon don't do well against Ground-type moves...

WHEEEEEEEEEEEE! So time to use our Ground types!

Just kidding, this is hell and there's no escape. If you came here with a Drilbur or Sandile expecting an easy time, well it still will be, Emolga only has Pursuit to do damage, but you'd best use the, ugh, Rock Tomb TM if you want to deal with these bastards, Palpitoad has Bubblebeam so it doesn't care. Double Team and Static will not make this easy for you though.

Thankfully they don't know Electro Ball to completely demolish us. Yet.

Gamera does a lot of damage so he can help out since he's not getting hit by Electric moves. Yet.

Elesa controls an elegant Gym in elegant Nimbasa City. She has an essential elegance. You should be her fan, too!

Two gyms in a row pushing buttons, huh. WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Only other mon in this gym is Blitzle who doesn't know Spark at least, so shouldn't have too much trouble. Yet.

I was aiming for a fighting style that overwhelms you with speed... if I can move faster than my opponents, I will get the upper hand.

GAH!

When you ride a roller coaster, the speed can make you dizzy. I'm going to make your head spin with a Pokemon battle that's just as intense!

Uh, okay.

Your way of battling... it's elegant! You've got style! Even compared to Ms. Elesa! If you press the switches the roller coaster's path will change.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh... WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!

GAH!

But if you don't beat me, you won't get to meet Ms. Elesa. I'm also a Pokemon Trainer who was toughened up by Ms. Elesa. I'll show you power and style befitting this Gym.

Boy am I glad the AI is still random!

It pleases me to be the opponent of a strong and honorable Trainer like you! If you maintain your calm and don't get flustered by this Gym's gimmicks, you'll be able to defeat Ms. Elesa... and any other Trainer, as well!

WHEEEEEEE- hrm, I'm actually not a big fan of loops. I love roller coasters, but I do prefer the level ones.

My beloved Pokemon will be the next one to make your head spin!

Gym Leader Battle

Elesa: The Shining Beauty
From electric and Tesla.
Kamitsure: Shining beauty.
From 加密列 kamitsure (chamomile) and 雷 kaminari (thunder).

Boy oh boy here's a battle a lot of you were waiting for, me included. Volt Switch in the name of the game, letting her deal big damage while constantly switching out. Still, despite all 5 of my team being weak to either Electric or Flying, something I didn't plan for, trust me, I have an idea.

The Emolga are pretty speedy, so cutting their Speed will help a lot. Of course, she could be switching into her ace and have things get out of hand very quickly, but it was still early enough that I believed she would go to her, identical, other Emolga.

Perfect, now for step 2 of the plan, have something Flying weak so she doesn't switch to Zebstrika. Milli is the best candidate to do this since he's pretty tanky and heals with Black Sludge, but they will be tempted to Volt Switch on occasion even when they could spam Aerial Ace.

Alright nice, I'd say we're in a good position, especially if she wastes healing on this and not Zebstrika. We're gonna get paralyzed a lot through Static, so I won't bother healing it off. It's slow, but I've got plenty of healing and Revives, so I'm not worried.

And off it goes, since I tagged both Emolga with paralysis by tempting them with an early Flying type, it means I'm taking less damage when they can't move, though I still need to heal on occasion. This isn't even with Eviolite and Milli is taking hits like a champ!

Wow, what fun. But she's out of healing so it's only a matter of time.

But eventually, we take them both out, whew what a pain.

Leader's Last Pokemon

The last hurdle and it's a real doozy. Zebstrika is your classic glass cannon, it does well with both sides and will usually go before your opponent. Its moves is where it falls short, it has to manage with Spark for a long while, with Wild Charge at 47, though Discharge at 36 will be your best option. Sure, your SpAtk is lower, but a physical Electric type always struggles, so take what you can get. Flame Charge and Stomp will be your best coverage until you get Overheat in the postgame, with Return and maybe even Giga Impact being options. As you can see, it's not much, it makes Zebstrika hard to use, but it has enough to be usable. Faint praise I know, but at least it's fast!!!

So our team can handle Zebstrika fine, but if it came out too early and got enough Flame Charges off, it would've easily outsped everyone and sniped with Volt Switch to not take any retaliation. It would've been a tricky situation since the Emolga would've also still been around, but by making sure Zebstrika never come out, it worked pretty well.

Hamlet gets a bit unlucky with Spark, but Tristan could've taken a couple of hits at least, so that's that! Definitely a tricky battle due to how fast the opponent is and how free Volt Switch usually is, but even with Aerial Ace, Emolga still don't do much against Ground types, and the team is pretty fragile overall. It's definitely tough, but a well played plan and plenty of healing will get you by just fine.

My, oh my... you have a sweet fighting style. I mean, you're a great Trainer! Excuse me, I... uh... oh, here! I want you to have this!

If you have four Badges, including this Bolt Badge, Pokemon up to Lv. 50, including traded Pokemon, will obey you. Also, here's this move I like. Feel free to use it, um, if you want to.

Volt Switch lets the Pokemon switch with a different Pokemon after attacking. Of course, if you don't have another Pokemon in your party, you can't switch. You're going to Driftveil City next? Of course. There is a Pokemon Gym there, after all. Oh... I bet you won't be able to get there. You know what? I'll fix it so you can cross. Wait for me on Route 5.

Man, four badges already. If we do this any faster we'll have to go on an incredibly boring island adventure at the end!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!

But the combination of you and your Pokemon was even more impressive! It was... it was... an emotional roller coaster!

We're nearly done in Nimbasa, so to do the last couple of things, our shiny needs to evolve. Might as well top a couple of the team off with levels, I feel like the difficulty has been pretty good so far.

Goddamn, what a great shiny. And it's our new team member! Ah, just kidding, got your hopes up there lol. I have thought about it, a fair few were wanting to replace Tristan with Camellia, but I decided against it because Lilligant is a pretty boring Pokemon to use in the story. It has godawful coverage, way worse than Simisage, and will barely change for the rest of the LP. So... nah.

But anyway, time to take on Musicals. Not in this update, god now, I don't want to go over it yet.

Wow that was so loving boring. Anyway through Global Link you can download some cool poo poo like C-Gear skins and Pokedex skins. Oh and additional Musicals, but that's not content. Since we're on the topic of C-Gear, now that we're in the middle ring of Unova, here's a button we can now press.

WOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Entralink

Hm? Judging by the look of you, you don't seem to know where you are. This is an island called the Entralink. It's located in the center of the Unova region. The Entralink is a mysterious place where you can connect with someone's world. If you go to someone's world but passing through this island, you will be able to meet an adventurer in the world. And you can help that adventurer. Yes! If you want to help, cross a bridge in this island and go to someone's world. There must be someone who is waiting for you there!

Alright! Here's another outdated feature that has lots to do and barely anyone played! You can still do this mode at least, since it requires local multiplayer, and will be another thing we can't do! You head to another person's Entralink through these walls and accept missions from their Entree. Then you go into the ring of locations around the Entralink and complete those missions. When you complete a mission, you obtain Pass Orbs which can be used to buy Pass Powers which you can use in the Tag Log to give bonuses to yourself and others nearby locally. It is a pretty big mode and by completing missions in a player's Black or White game, your Entree gains Black or White levels, which determine which Pass Powers you have access to. By unlocking and buying all the Pass Powers, you earn a Trainer Card star. We're gonna do none of that, but I will do my usual writeup going over the specifics!

People say dreams come true here. When your Pokemon wakes up from a dream, please come to this forest.

The other important location is the Entree Forest. Pokemon you meet in the Dream World will be available to catch here, in the 6 different sections of the forest, though some specific event Pokemon will appear in a specific place. The Deepest Clearing is where Pokemon go if you choose not to catch them, so you can make room for other Dream World Pokemon, though your forest will grow larger to accommodate new Pokemon. You can use any Pokeball to catch a Pokemon here, but a Dream Ball, a Master Ball skin, will appear in your bag and will disappear if you don't use it. Every ball is an instant catch, so use whatever. Of course the Dream World is dead and so is this area, so let's never talk about it again. Also items you got in the Dream World are given by a boy to the left of the entrance.

Someone's Entralink

Anyway I used an AR code to max out my tree, letting me complete this side mode without ever being able to access it! Neat! It's an interesting enough mode and the Pass Powers are fun bonuses, though you can play the game just fine without them. Here's a video going over everything if you want to see this mode in action.

Farewell, Entralink, let's not return any time soon.

I say Trainer Star but those aren't a thing anymore, you just get a different colour, so yeah, nice and easy to get, totally legit and that, whatever. There's only 2 different Pokedex skins so we'll show them both off eventually. There's a LOT more C-Gear skins, so I'll take suggestions as to which ones I'll have. Like the Poketch colour, it doesn't really matter to you guys but it's really cool to have these skins since the default is empty.

With that we're all done with Nimbasa. We'll return a bit later for Musicals and the regular lines of the Battle Subway, but I hope there's no rival battle coming up!

Cheren Encounter

You've got a Bolt Badge... I've got a Bolt Badge... let's test who's stronger--you or me! This time, I'm going to win!

Rival Battle

What fun, Cheren is 4 levels higher than last time, but until the postgame his team won't change, which is pretty lame.

Only other difference is the monkey now has the type boosting item.

That was some nice experience for Tristan. Oh this wasn't a regular trainer battle?

You have Silver syndrome in that your team kinda sucks rear end.

That's nice, how you're helping each other get better by competing. OK, let's go.

Alder's Theme

Who is this man?

This is Alder, the Unova region's Champion.

Champion?! Why would the Champion be goofing off in a place like this?

I heard that remark. You're quite a judgemental young person, are you not? My name is Alder. I'm the Unova Pokemon League's Champion. Pleased to make your acquaintance. For your information, I'm not goofing off. I'm on a voyage. I know every corner of Unova.

Um. I'm Cheren, from Nuvema Town. My goal as a Trainer is to become the Champion.

Hm. Traveling with a goal in mind is a commendable thing. And what do you plan to do after becoming the Champion?

What else is there other than striving to become stronger? The strongest Trainer--that's the Champion.

Hmm. Becoming stronger... becoming stronger, you say... is that alone enough of a goal? Hmm. It's not that I'm trying to say your way of thinking is wrong... in my travels, I've helped many people learn to love Pokemon. I think that's important, too. If you play with these children, you might gain more of an understanding. Will you two have a Pokemon battle with those two? Hey, you two. Come here for a moment.

But, before that... you need healing. OK, let's battle.

This will be a bit of an uphill fight due to double Intimidate and having a Liepard as a partner.

That's one issue out of the way!

Nicely done! You didn't win, but that was a good battle. Your Pokemon looked like they were having fun.

there are also people who are happy just being with Pokemon. There are many different people and many different answers. When it comes to what a Champion should be, you and I may hold differing views, but so be it! Give it some thought.

Let's roll. The Driftveil Drawbridge is just ahead.

The Champion is the strongest of the strong! That's all there is to it.

It's tremendous that people and Pokemon, each so different, can acknowledge each other and be together!

Cool words, still gonna beat you up later. Next time, we've got a bridge to cross, I hope the next Gym Leader is this friendly!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 03: Critical Catching Changes

Well doesn't this look familiar? The catching formula is the same as Gen 3 and 4, though there are some important new mechanics to go over. Otherwise, refer to my Gen 3 catch rate formula writeup for all the juicy details.

First, a small, but important thing is Sleep and Freeze are now x2.5, making them even better, if still unreliable. The formula also rounds itself down to the nearest 1/4096, so it has a fair bit of accuracy now. Pass Powers are a new factor that gets multiplied to the end, the Capture Power has 3 tiers, which boosts the final rate by x1.1. x1.2 and x1.3, respectively. Technically it's 110, 120 or 130 divided by 100 but it's the same thing.

Next up is a very sneaky one, the grass modifier. This is at 1 in every wild encounter EXCEPT for dark grass, where it's determined by how many Pokemon you've registered in the Pokedex. No matter how many you've caught, the value will always be 1 at max, meaning all it does is reduce your chances of catching something unless you have over SIX HUNDRED REGISTERED. Bit annoying but this is why I've only been catching stuff in dark grass if I happen to encounter it. There's no difference between grass colour, for the most part, aside from levels, so it's usually not worth it early on. If you've caught less than 30, then it's a 0.3 reduction, 31-150 is x0.5, 151-300 is x0.7, 301-450 is x0.8, and 451-600 is x0.9. A super pain, but this is plugged into the formula before most things are divided by 3 x Max Health, so it's cushioned somewhat, status and pass powers are outside of this, so they have the biggest impact.

Lastly, there's a few changes to Pokeballs, though not much. Quick Balls, which were ridiculous before, and now even more ridiculous, being 5x rate on the 1st turn of battle and 1x otherwise. They're basically the best Pokeball in the game now. Timer Balls are also way less poo poo, having a new formula of 1 + (number of turns passed in battle * 0.3), maximum 4. This caps out on turn 11, so they become better than a Dusk Ball very quickly, amazing for longer Legendary encounters. Also the Nest Ball now caps out at 4x rate instead of 3.9x, which makes things much smoother.

Alas, the Apricorn Balls are not programmed into these games, but the icons are still there, so a Pokemon transferred from HGSS will have those Pokeballs displayed. The only new Pokeball introduced is the Dream Ball, which is only usable in the Entee Forest, acting like every other Pokeball in there and instantly catching the Pokemon. They can be hacked into the bag and act like normal Pokeballs.

Now for critical captures. They work in a similar fashion to the Grass Modifier, so become more likely the more Pokemon you've registered in the Pokedex, they have the same boundaries, even. When this occurs, the Pokeball makes a high pitched whistle when thrown, shudders in midair, then shakes just once before the Pokemon is either caught or escapes. How crit catches are calculated is from the modified catch rate at the end of the formula, a, then multiply it by the following number: 0 if less than 30 Pokemon have been registered, 0.5 for 31-150, 1 for 151-300, 1.5 for 301-450, 2 for 451-600 and 2.5 for 600+. Divide the result by 6 and round down, this is c. Then a random number between 0 and 255 is generated and if less than c, a critical capture will occur.

Let's put it in perspective, a 255 modified catch rate, the max, becomes 21 if you have 31 registered Pokemon, making it an 8% chance of a crit catch being triggered. Similarly, even when you get a higher multiplier, because it works on the modified catch rate, even 3 catch rate Pokemon have a low chance of a crit catch, with 5% rate being the best you'll probably get if all the factors are in your favour.

But anyway, the Pokemon is in the crit catch ball, since it only makes one shake check, it has a very high chance of succeeding, again the shake check formula is the same as Gen 3's, so refer to the earlier link. On average, the chance of a crit catch shake check is the cube root of the original shake check, so it works much more effectively for lower chances, as a 5% regular shake check becomes a 37% crit catch shake check. However, since crit catches are pretty rare, don't count of them, you're more likely to catch a Pokemon regularly than with a crit catch.

Finally, there was a small, weird tweak in how shake checks were done for regular catches. There are now only 3 shake checks compared to previous gens' 4, meaning a Pokemon now never breaks out after 2 shakes, only 0, 1 or 3. I don't really know why, but since this only matters when you didn't catch the Pokemon anyway, it doesn't really matter. And that's everything different. Well, not really different, but there are some important new mechanics to go over, they'll be mostly important going forward.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We're back, for how long, who knows?! I have set up shop in the LP Beach, so come along if you want to have a fun, free time with webmasters that aren't history's greatest monsters. I've posted my thread there here and to entice some of you to go there, I will be holding some exclusive votes and the like there, though I won't make it all exclusive. I'm letting you pick out which C-Gear skins I use for the LP, so come on by!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Alder is so goddamn patronising. Yes, Cheren's a jerk, but he's also a kid, maybe don't poo poo on his dreams quite so much.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Probably the hardest electric gym in the franchise. Flying electric types are hard to deal with and Emolgas always appear before your team is fully evolved so they seem super strong. But using them yourself quickly shows how subpar their stats actually are.
Which is a good use of mons like that to be honest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Alder is so goddamn patronising. Yes, Cheren's a jerk, but he's also a kid, maybe don't poo poo on his dreams quite so much.

I don't know if he poo poo on his dreams so much as he told him to think about them more concretely.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020
I actually loved playing in the Entralink with my brothers. Before they got old enough to think for themselves and my Pokeindoctrination fell through...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black Robe posted:

Cheren's obsessed with strength, which is a dangerous path to go through. Alder's trying to stop him before he either finds himself at the top with a completely meaningless existence, or gets broken because his strength isn't enough and goes evil.

An adult should stop children from making mistakes. Alder's being responsible here, not patronizing.

Also I had a lot of trouble with Elesa when I played. She's genuinely a difficulty spike but a really fun one. And I didn't know anything about the Entralink beyond the specific Dream World stuff, wow.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Black Robe posted:

Actually alder is the best and him chiding cheren for only seeking power is good and cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

You have Silver syndrome in that your team kinda sucks rear end.

Aside from Blue/Green/GARY OAK/Alternate Name of Choice in the FireRed lategame and Johto games, do any of the Rivals have good teams?

I'm genuinely asking, because I remember most Rival battles feeling unimpressive, barring the occasional early Pokemon nuke like Hau's Raichu.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I like Adler. After the useless figurehead champions of Steven and Cynthia, seeing a Champion out there mentoring young folk and having a genuinely active role in the world is a nice change of pace. This is like the one time before they really made being Champion mean something in Gen 8 that the Champion of a region has felt like a person and a position and not just the end goal. A lot of the ground Adler lays here in this game gets revisited and greatly improved upon by Leon, but considering the role of the champions who've come before (and directly after him) Adler's a cool dude who's a merit to his title.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Aside from Blue/Green/GARY OAK/Alternate Name of Choice in the FireRed lategame and Johto games, do any of the Rivals have good teams?

I'm genuinely asking, because I remember most Rival battles feeling unimpressive, barring the occasional early Pokemon nuke like Hau's Raichu.

Yeah. Actually up until this point, Rivals generally have had pretty solid teams- Wally and Barry both have very good teams themselves (Although Wally's barely a rival, and Barry suffers somewhat if he doesn't start with Chimchar since Gen 4 is REALLY hurting for useful Fire types.) Silver was kinda an outlier for the Rivals in terms of team quality, but gens 5-7 then gave him a whole bunch of competition for Worst Rival Team out of nowhere cause... hoo boy.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 27, 2020

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

There is the infamous second Brendon/May fight with their decent fire/water/grass line-up. Sadly they just stop being your rival halfway through the game...
Barry is pretty alright since he has a full team of six before the Elite Four with no obvious duds. Double normal type but one of them is normal/flying so it works out.
And Hau in the Ultra games has a decent line-up since he upgraded Komala into Tauros and added a Noivern.

Sometimes rivals have a solid team were every member is either dangerous or hard to take down - and sometimes they are forever settled with the likes of Liepard, Meowstic or Pincurchin...

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah. Actually up until this point, Rivals generally have had pretty solid teams- Wally and Barry both have very good teams themselves (Although Wally's barely a rival, and Barry suffers somewhat if he doesn't start with Chimchar since Gen 4 is REALLY hurting for useful Fire types.) Silver was kinda an outlier for the Rivals in terms of team quality, but gens 5-7 then gave him a whole bunch of competition for Worst Rival Team out of nowhere cause... hoo boy.

What's especially weird about this is that even all of the Gen 5 Rivals have perfectly serviceable teams; but only in the postgame for some reason. For all of the Gen 5 Rivals their two best Pokémon just randomly show up in the postgame rematches despite being in the regional dex and being available around the midgame :psyduck:

Aside from that yeah, Wally is fine and Barry's team is actually pretty good bar Rapidash, and May/Brendan would be fine if they didn't just stop existing past the 6th Gym; Silver is really the only weak link until Gen 5, but especially Gen 6 on.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020

While his team wasn't good , I do really appreciate Hop's team for being constantly changing, it really felt like a rival trying out new ways to try and defeat you rather than throwing the same old stuff at you and hoping it would stick eventually.
I don't think that's happened since Blue and his infamous Raticate.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So yeah. Imagine you picked Snivy, got to evolve to to Servine after getting mauled to death by every Bug imaginable and the constant onslaught of the fire monkeys and you hit this gym and go "Finally, a place for my starter to shine!"
Ow.
Double ow once you're weary of Emolgas and the Zebrastika comes in so you go "okay this thing doesn't fly and it's pure electric - okay now this is a chance for my Servine!"
But no, Flame Charge. WHY?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Technician Cincinno is definitely a lot of fun to play with too, I just used one in my most recent run

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kikas posted:

So yeah. Imagine you picked Snivy, got to evolve to to Servine after getting mauled to death by every Bug imaginable and the constant onslaught of the fire monkeys and you hit this gym and go "Finally, a place for my starter to shine!"
Ow.
Double ow once you're weary of Emolgas and the Zebrastika comes in so you go "okay this thing doesn't fly and it's pure electric - okay now this is a chance for my Servine!"
But no, Flame Charge. WHY?
Kikas, you know the answer to that question. It's ye olde "Because gently caress you, that's why."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The date with N was really nice for young closeted Solumin. :kiddo:

Also l like this electric gym better in B2W2, though this one is pretty fun.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Solumin posted:

The date with N was really nice for young closeted Solumin. :kiddo:

Also l like this electric gym better in B2W2, though this one is pretty fun.

The date was nice, until I looked at a few things and learned Hilbert/Hilda are around 14/15 and N is 20. That kinda soured me on the date. B2W2 has stronger gyms in general I think, partially because there are more Pokemon they can choose from. Though this gen does have some solid ideas. The Stration Gym failed in execution, but I liked the idea it tried.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

The date was nice, until I looked at a few things and learned Hilbert/Hilda are around 14/15 and N is 20.

Oh wait what? I think N was also a young teenager. :sigh: so much for that then.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I thought it was B2W2 he was 20 in.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leraika posted:

I thought it was B2W2 he was 20 in.

It's unclear. The interview that had his age given wasn't clear whether it was in BW or B2W2. Quoting here, from Google Translate,

"Bulbapedia reference posted:

According to this, the age of "N" is 20 years old, and he has a baby face.
 Also, the age of "Chelen" is 14 to 15 years old.

However, neither "N" nor "Chelen" is clear at the time of B2W2 or BW.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
oh hey, this is a thing!

i really need to keep better track of LPs here, I always seem to come in a while after new ones start. ANYWAYS. Gen 5 is great. Nowadays I prefer BW2 over 1 for various reasons, but these games are still very solid. Everything's fast paced! The sprites are animated! Literally every pokemon is something I'd never seen before. Seriously, coming in blind made this game an absolute treat.

Also, I know it was a couple updates ago, but :rip: Zorua. It's one of my favorite designs, but it got screwed over at basically every stage. I love it a lot, but also, would not recommend using it until, uh, gen 7 or 8. (and even then, in swsh you need DLC to get it, and an egg move to make it good.)

Also also: I'm very mad about the Zoroark event because I got multiples of each of the shiny johto 'mons, (due to being a 14 year old with every gen 4 game and also: no life) but I didn't know about the relocator. So I couldn't do the event. (IIRC, it literally doesn't work if you transfer them in with the postgame transfer lab!! why, gamefreak!!? :argh:)

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's unclear. The interview that had his age given wasn't clear whether it was in BW or B2W2.

Yeah, I felt it was best to err on the side of caution and assume that was his age in BW. Partially because 'Chelen' and Hilbert/Hilda look like they're 14 in BW so it makes more sense to me for the article to be referencing their B/W ages. N feels older to me, but I also headcanon him to be on the autism/Aspergers spectrum so that may make him appear younger to other people. Mentally at least.