Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked Fujiko. Dark Lupin is a bit weird but Dark Lupin works sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

I liked Fujiko. Dark Lupin is a bit weird but Dark Lupin works sometimes.

I liked it too. I actually have the fancy hardcover-book DVD sets of that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fujiko was a cool, stylish show that was dramatically elevated by the final twist. so it started out good and got gooder.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'll try pretty much anything by okada, i like her writing style a lot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didn't love what i watched of mayoiga but i appreciate it for clearly understanding what it was going for and somehow it still taking almost the entire cour for some people to realize it was supposed to be goofy. def better than kiznaiver

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I will always love mayoiga for being balls to the wall insane but not presenting itself like it's aware that's the case

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its intentionally stupid but it trusts the audience to pick up on that rather than elbowing them in the side constantly

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Okada's name attracted me to it much less than seeing Junichi Sato's in one of the director positions, but A Whisker Away def feels like an Okada script thru and thru. A real first draft-feeling script too, there's a bunch of stuff in it that gets sidelined or just nothing really comes of it. But it's sweet and positive and emotionally frank and has tons of cute cat animation, from realistic to fanciful. Been a great last few years for these kinds of pretty good magical realism anime films.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i forget that people thought mayoiga was serious when the opening 10 minutes features the tour bus scene and three girls having the same nickname so the resolve it with calling them Yuuna, Yuune, and Yuuno

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

I like Mari Okada, but there’s some stinkers that are worth avoiding if you want to check out other things she’s written. Kiznaiver sucked, don’t ever watch Kiznaiver.

...So, which ones would you recommend? Fujiko Mine blew my mind and I already finished all of Sayo Yamamoto's shows, I'd be down for checking out the rest of the team's works.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Viola the Mad posted:

...So, which ones would you recommend? Fujiko Mine blew my mind and I already finished all of Sayo Yamamoto's shows, I'd be down for checking out the rest of the team's works.

Mari Okada is a writer and doesn’t really have a specific team but does have some people she occasionally works with.

I’d highly recommend checking out AnoHana and Hanasaku Iroha as I feel those two shows are what started to get her noticed (I wasn’t aware of her name until around that point at least)

As for movies, Anthem of the Heart reunites her with the AnoHana crew is a good movie (not as good as A Whisker Away I feel). Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms is her first work as a director and is really gorgeous and has an interesting premise but I think falls a little bit flat on the characters being interesting but it’s still work checking out.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Erg posted:

i forget that people thought mayoiga was serious when the opening 10 minutes features the tour bus scene and three girls having the same nickname so the resolve it with calling them Yuuna, Yuune, and Yuuno

Anyone who hadn't caught on by "catacomb assbound" was probably just dense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I enjoyed Whisker Away well enough. Not one of my favorites or anything but the script is cute and functional enough for a really strong production effort to carry things through. Studio Colorido's putting together a nice little streak lately.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
mayoiga has that one really good scene with the bus driver that I remember

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It was obvious from the start that Mayoiga was ridiculous on purpose. I was expecting/hoping it to be the sort of series where everyone dies (it had a similar vibe to Another I thought), but I enjoyed what we got.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Viola the Mad posted:

I was typing a list up, but instead just read The Black Stones' post twice or something

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Qwertycoatl posted:

It was obvious from the start that Mayoiga was ridiculous on purpose. I was expecting/hoping it to be the sort of series where everyone dies (it had a similar vibe to Another I thought), but I enjoyed what we got.

well. same director

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

https://twitter.com/DuderMcBrohan/status/1276951756715499528

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you like mari okada's work i really recommend her autobiography, she's had an interesting life and writes about it in a really captivating way

warning that when i say 'interesting' i also mean 'kinda hosed up tho'

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Viola the Mad posted:

O Maidens in Your Savage Season is a series which I have somewhat mixed feelings about but overall is worth checking out. I liked the manga version a bit more than anime though

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i vaguely recall saying, when mayoiga was airing, that this was going to be the kind of show where either absolutely everyone dies, or absolutely no one dies. no in-between

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

i vaguely recall saying, when mayoiga was airing, that this was going to be the kind of show where either absolutely everyone dies, or absolutely no one dies. no in-between

Following the threads for it on reddit was amazing. There was someone keeping track of character statuses so they could record each death and they steadily got more unhinged as the series went on and no-one died before completely cracking when the single death in the series turned out to not have actually happened so they just wrote their own death scenes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Iron-Blooded Orphans is Okada writing Gundam, and it's a wild, wild ride.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Darth Walrus posted:

Iron-Blooded Orphans is Okada writing Gundam, and it's a wild, wild ride.

This was a stunning show. Easily one of the best Gundam shows in ages with really different suit designs. Also now dubbed on Netflix.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
IBO didn't do much to impress me. Japan got some quality memes out of it, though, so it's not a total wash.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I love IBO, but I’m not huge enough into Gundam that I didn’t check out the discourse to see what others though. The people I know that watch anime at work all loved it though. So if you like Giant Robots it’s easily one you can add to the list of things to watch.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

The people I know that watch anime at work all loved it though.

What kind of job do these people have that they get to watch anime at work? I need to change careers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nipponophile posted:

What kind of job do these people have that they get to watch anime at work? I need to change careers.
Working from home?

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Nipponophile posted:

Working in tv will let you do this too ;)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibo has some ups and downs but the ending is fantastic (and also having a gundam series end with a married lesbian couple) is the most okada thing of all

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nipponophile posted:

I phrased that poorly, I meant there’s a bunch of other people who I work with that are also anime fans and we usually talk about the current season and what we’re watching. However, I do watch anime at work when on lunch, decent headphones and CR means I watch stuff I wouldn’t bother watching at home.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

Work from home computer toucher.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nipponophile posted:

Same one that allows you to exercise, eat, play and run an illegal dog cafe at your house. :colbert:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just a heads up- I've been procrastinating on making the Summer thread, but seeing as shows start airing in a few days I'll try to get it up Monday night EST, Tuesday at the latest.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

Just a heads up- I've been procrastinating on making the Summer thread, but seeing as shows start airing in a few days I'll try to get it up Monday night EST, Tuesday at the latest.

Just blame COVID.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Shows I watched this season, in approximate order of how much I enjoyed them:

Kaygua-sama S2: The same spirited direction and wonderful voice acting that made the first season great, plus they were at a point in the source material where the original premise was increasingly abandoned in favor of solid character development and more varied plot setups. My only complaint is a slight decrease in Konomi Kohara noises.

Wave, Listen To Me!: Grounded in relatable characters and relationships, but not afraid to get completely absurd when needed. Anime series centered around adults are far too rare, and anime series in which adults actually act like adults - as opposed to overgrown high-schoolers - even more so. Some regrettable homophobic jokes, but they weren't prominent enough to ruin it for me. The lead VA is awesome, I hope we'll hear more from her.

Princess Connect: Originally dismissed this as a generic harem-y fantasy isekai, but it turned out to be a lot funnier and more wholesome than I expected. Making the supposed main character a largely mute dolt was a great comedic move, and also completely disarmed any possible harem or power fantasy aspects. The more serious episodes didn't work as well for me, but there's only two or three of them. Check it out if you're in the mood for well-made, low-stakes fantasy comedy fluff.

Railgun S3: Not sure if I should even consider this show part of this season, it feels like we only got a handful of episodes since April. Still, what we did get concluded the current arc in a satisfying way. Here's hoping the production stabilizes somewhat during the next arc.

Gleipnir: I expected this show to be horny, edgy trash, and while it's definitely horny as hell, it's less trashy and edgy than I expected. Far less grim and gory than the first couple of episodes made it seem, and the latter half of the season actually did a pretty decent job of fleshing out the core group of characters. Not sure if I'd call it a good show, but it's unique and watchable enough that I ended up sticking with it.

Kakushigoto: Expected a family-centered comedy with occasional manga asides, but got "Kumeta complains about the manga industry and society in general, with occasional grade-schooler". Some of the bits were really good, others completely bombed for me. The time-jump teases and their eventual resolution were well done though, so it ended on a high note at least.

Sing Yesterday For Me: Man, this was a frustrating watch. I suppose the lack of progress is part of the point, but I am genuinely having trouble remembering what, if anything, happened in the middle eight episodes. The final episode did offer a somewhat satisfying conclusion, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to anyone, even to fans of the genre. Also, spoiler, nobody sings Yesterday, or even requests it.

Bakarina: It's okay, I guess. Light-hearted and wholesome, but never particularly funny or well-written, and the production quality wasn't anything to write home about either. The manga, which suffers from all the same problems as the show, took a real nose-drive in quality after the end of this season, so I don't think I'm going to bother with the second season.

Delayed:

Houkago Teibou Nisshi: Not a huge loss. Cute enough, but otherwise didn't really hook me (haha, get it, because it's a show about fishing). Might still check it out when it starts up again.

Watched and dropped:

Tower of God: An endless tournament arc with boring stock characters. Colorful and decently directed, but not for me. Dropped after four or five episodes.

Gal to Kyouryuu: No substance, no actual jokes, just three different funny faces repeated ad nauseam. Dropped after one episode.

Still to watch: SNAFU S3 and Re:Zero S2, plus BNA once it escapes from Netflix jail.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Ibo has some ups and downs but the ending is fantastic (and also having a gundam series end with a married lesbian couple) is the most okada thing of all

Pretty sure they're a married bi triad where one of them just happens to be dead. I get the impression they'd very much resent the idea that their relationship only involved two people.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

cave emperor posted:

Still to watch: SNAFU S3 and Re:Zero S2, plus BNA once it escapes from Netflix jail.

To be fair, Snafu s3 and re zero s2 both got delayed to summer before their first episodes aired :v:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

kaguya is the best comedy anime there has ever been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It isn't even the best one this season my dude.