Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sonic 2 is the best one so yeah.

I never liked Sonic 2. Aside from Chemical Plant, all of it's music sucked. Yes, even Mystic Cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

O_O

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

now that the forums are dying can we finally agree that sonic mania kind of peaks with press garden.

that's not metallic madness zone

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

blue sphere fan, here. i like half pipes the most when theyre actually 3d though. actually maybe i like mania's the most, i havent thought about them in a while

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Katsuma posted:

I never liked Sonic 2. Aside from Chemical Plant, all of it's music sucked. Yes, even Mystic Cave.

:blastu:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArfJason posted:

stairmaster is a known troll who spends all his days in a weed cloud talking poo poo about leftists on a podcast so id take his opinions on sonic games with a grain of salt and several live rounds.

Can't even deny this

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sonic 2 is right up there with Super Mario Bros. 3 as my favorite childhood games. I'm still really fond of the ending.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Katsuma posted:

This is the worst post I've ever read in the entire history of this forum

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Blue Spheres own actually and are the best special stages.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

The memorization thing never made any sense to me Sonic 2 is designed to be played multiple times why is it a problem that you have to learn the special stages to get the emeralds.

Like the biggest flaw in Sonic 2 imo is that the final bosses don't give you a chance to learn their patterns because there's no rings. You get hit once then have to try again. Pure memorization. At least the halfpipes don't kick you out the instant you hit a bomb with no leeway.

When it comes down to it, I don't have fun with S2 special stages in contrast to S3 ones. The memorization it asks of you feels way more particular, rather then blue spheres mostly being a puzzle with a solution that you can generally figure out without failing a few times. I also kinda just don't like how S2 stages play because they want precision while offering you something very imprecise?

Granted, maybe it's all just because I played much less S2 then S3, and I was also just generally not great with accessing special stages in S2 since it takes a lot more care then it does in S3.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love Sonic 1 and 2 but I can’t go back to them unless it’s the Christian Whitehead versions. The M2 ports are good but I loving need that widescreen.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

S2 special stages also entirely gently caress you if you're playing with AI Tails. That alone is an immediate point against it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you aren't collecting the requisite rings as Sonic then what are you even doing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kaethela posted:

Blue Spheres own actually and are the best special stages.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hot take: I liked the Sonic 4 special stages.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hot take: I liked the Sonic 4 special stages.

Weren’t they just the 1 stages but you totally control the rotation of the stage?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, and the second one had half pipes where Sonic and Tails had to work together. I really liked the teamwork elements of that game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i am struggling to believe people enjoy going at predetermined awful speeds that constantly gets jarringly interrupted by a fixed turning animation as you move in a fixed grid and the most efficient method to pick up collectables is boringly draw a square around them except some instances where it doesnt but others where its not a square but it works because of bad programming

it is insanely tedious and repetitive and mania is much worse for having them, though thankfully they are optional

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

ArfJason posted:

i am struggling to believe people enjoy going at predetermined awful speeds that constantly gets jarringly interrupted by a fixed turning animation as you move in a fixed grid and the most efficient method to pick up collectables is boringly draw a square around them except some instances where it doesnt but others where its not a square but it works because of bad programming

it is insanely tedious and repetitive and mania is much worse for having them, though thankfully they are optional

Plugging S1 into S&K after finding out about S2&K was the biggest disappointment of my early gaming career.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you aren't collecting the requisite rings as Sonic then what are you even doing.

IIRC having Tails along increases the amout of rings required.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ArfJason posted:

really kinda says just how bad/lame all other special stages are, huh?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ArfJason posted:

too bad I do like it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

really kinda says just how bad/lame all other special stages are, huh?

after being invited to a discord with a bunch of srb2 vets i finally relented and played srb2 for the first time in close to a decade and holy smokes, the nights special stages really *are* some of the best special stages in sonic history lol. i dont think they're that great but they sure are better than another loving tube or blue spheres. Anyway the game sigsegv'd on DSZ2 so some things never change lol

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1276804127155093504?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I always play Sonic Alone in 2. I only ever had Tails when my brother and I played together.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tangle fits right in with the rest of the Sonic cast. Whisper... does not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Tangle fits right in with the rest of the Sonic cast. Whisper... does not.

The cast that includes an ageless mutant alien hybrid hedgehog, a thief/government spy bat, a detective crocodile with musical powers, and a shapeshifting watery god of destruction, all of which are playable in Hardlight’s games

Yeah I think she’s fine

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

The cast that includes an ageless mutant alien hybrid hedgehog, a thief/government spy bat, a detective crocodile with musical powers, and a shapeshifting watery god of destruction, all of which are playable in Hardlight’s games

Yeah I think she’s fine

I meant design-wise. I think the eyes and mask are what do it. Though it feels like her backstory doesn’t fit in well either, because it’s actually decent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I meant design-wise. I think the eyes and mask are what do it. Though it feels like her backstory doesn’t fit in well either, because it’s actually decent.

Both of those are points of characterization shown through design. She’s very guarded and doesn’t show her feelings easily. I think they’re fine.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Both of those are points of characterization shown through design. She’s very guarded and doesn’t show her feelings easily. I think they’re fine.

I’m not saying the design is bad or anything, I just think it looks a bit out of place with the rest of the usual Sonic cast.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Alright, fair enough

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why fight about 2 and 3’s special stages when Sonic 1’s were worse, had fewer opportunities to retry them than 2 or 3, and worst of all: no reward beyond a very weak extra ending.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I like Sonic 1's special stages and whenever people talk about the Whitehead version they neglect to mention that they broke the special stages in that version

I never disliked the halfpipe but it's been done to death.

The worst is probably Sonic CD's, I feel like Mania and even Advance 2 are much better versions of the same thing.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Dabir posted:

E: the best special stages are the nights special stages in SRB2 though

My man :hfive:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

almost ten years later and i still got it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
thread question: Which sonic bonus stages are worst?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic Heroes

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic Rush

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Discendo Vox posted:

thread question: Which sonic bonus stages are worst?

Sonic 2, definitely, out of the classic games. I haven’t played the Advance or Rush games so I don’t know if any are worse. Christian Whitehead version fixes them by making them rendered 3D. They’re miserable otherwise imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The CD ones are improved a lot in the Whitehead versions as well with smooth scaling on the sprites and high-resolution mode 7, making it much easier to judge your movement/distance. (also they work better in widescreen)