Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Think wicked or don't think at all. No room for virtue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Give me the all the psp games in english Atlus!

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
whatever comes next is going to be a 480x360 port of the ios smt1 or something equally inexplicable

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
https://twitter.com/y0w0suke/status/1276366851610759168?s=20

someone actually did it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

bitch I did it! max social links on NG P4 golden!

Y'all were really exaggerating how impossible that was. I had (exactly) enough time to also get everyone's third tier personas, and I absolutely did not manage my time 100% optimally or really plan things out much. Just made sure to spend the minimum amount of days possible on not advancing a social link, and to get the maximum points for everything when I can. had plenty of days where i had no choice but to do something suboptimal when the people i needed to hang out with weren't available or something like that.

and actually I even deviated from the maximum points once when adachi was telling nanako to cheat on her homework and the only way to get points was to agree with him. that is just over the line!

feels like if you fully planned it out, there would be like two weeks of empty time left over in a maximally optimal playthrough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yukiko has some real competition now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

NikkolasKing posted:

Yukiko has some real competition now.

You mean the entire rest of the cast?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Drakenel posted:

You mean the entire rest of the cast?

All Chie's are bastards,
Yukiko is a small business tyrant
Rise is Rise.
Naoto you have to basically be the shittiest to to get her to romance you

It's Ai and Yosuke.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All Chie's are bastards,
Yukiko is a small business tyrant
Rise is Rise.
Naoto you have to basically be the shittiest to to get her to romance you

It's Ai and Yosuke.
I’ll agree with you about Chie and Naoto, but don’t go talking poo poo about Yukiko, Rise, and the Culture girls.

Edit: Though the best Social Link with a girl not named Nanako is Death

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 27, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

For some reason I'm playing Persona Q2. That first boss was an absolute motherfucker of a fight, and this second zone seems to be REALLY pushing for me to use Haru since half the drat random encounters are weak to Psi and only Psi, which I still can't get on a sub-Persona. Overall a pretty good game so far though, liking it more than PQ1. I'm going to have real trouble once the P3 cast is added to the available player characters though because I'm gonna want to make a party that's probably really bad (Akihiko, Chie, Makoto, Kanji and Joker (because I have to have him since I'm playing on Risky since I hate myself evidently)). I just want to play as team MARTIAL ARTS. Kanji is there to represent wrestling. Problem is they're all frontliners...

The battle themes are all really freaking good too, which really helps ease the pain of grinding.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
PQ2 has that issue where the later characters are generally better. Like I think the P3 cast just stomps the P5 cast other than maybe Koromaru. Joker still ends up holding his own endgame but that's more because of Rebel Vanguard than anything.

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: Though the best Social Link with a girl not named Nanako is Death

I think you mean Ai Ebihara.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 27, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think you mean Ai Ebihara.
I know what I said. :colbert:

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

chie is a child victim of copaganda and until she gets a badge she's free of sin

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Chie might want to be a cop but she flies off the handle and gets aggressive for no reason which would make her a terrible...oh wait no she'd be a perfect cop, gently caress

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Varinn posted:

chie is a child victim of copaganda and until she gets a badge she's free of sin
Just one more item on the list of why Nanako is perfect: Is, at best, reluctantly tolerant of her father's career, and that's at the end of the S. Link.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
God remember when people thought makato was an older nanako

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

God remember when people thought makato was an older nanako
I still sometimes see fanart of Makoto and Sae's parents being Minako and Akihiko.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So here's a neat thing I learned today. P5R spoilers, because apparently people found a cut ending scene.

Apparently, there was going to be an intersection of the bad 'perfect world' ending and the 'cheated on every girl' scene, where they all turn up but are apparently cool with it and it's deliberately kinda creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gb4dJzV0U

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Varinn posted:

Her no-stats starting accessory is a badge :smugdog:

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
All of the love interests you're talk about mean nothing to the real and best one.

Kanji.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

so am i missing something or is the intended strategy in the hollow forest for you to guard for 500 turns in every battle to replenish SP

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Amppelix posted:

so am i missing something or is the intended strategy in the hollow forest for you to guard for 500 turns in every battle to replenish SP

That's the new dungeon right? Iirc I ran past pretty much most encounters and used whatever SP restoring items I'd been hoarding. There's a few floors where you can't run past enemies but eh.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Use items and Victory Cry.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

victory cry, which i definitely have

i guess it's as good an excuse as any to fuse lucifer though

E: wait i'm not even at the level to do that yet lol

but yeah I guess you don't actually need to stall forever to go through. I still very much resent that the ~optimal~ strategy for this place would actually be to leave one weak enemy alive and mash that guard button for ten minutes in every battle

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 27, 2020

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Once you get the better accessories you’ll be able to consistently cast your spells regardless. Going back up to full is pointless since it cuts your current sp in half every turn.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

not every turn, every battle. theoretically going back up to full in every fight would be optimal because that would allow you to start every battle at half SP.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Dug up my vita and I’m thinking of doing a blind play through of both P2s, I’m excited to see what led to P4 probably my favorite goat. Once I get the ability to take screen shots I’ll get started, but any hard and fast tips? I got some on the discord but any bit helps cause I’ve heard it gets kind of esoteric in the mechanics? Or am I crazy?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sandnavyguy posted:

Dug up my vita and I’m thinking of doing a blind play through of both P2s, I’m excited to see what led to P4 probably my favorite goat. Once I get the ability to take screen shots I’ll get started, but any hard and fast tips? I got some on the discord but any bit helps cause I’ve heard it gets kind of esoteric in the mechanics? Or am I crazy?

Okay so everyone in this game can get any Persona they want mostly. Some restrictions apply but most of them can be taken by anyone. You get Personas via accumulating Tarot Cards which you then use to buy/summon the desired Persona that is associated with the Tarot Card. You want 50 Lovers Cards to get Pixie Persona for a random made-up example. You get these via Negotiating with Demons in battle. This part is explained in the game pretty well.

Personas rank up and if they are attached to somebody they have an affinity with, they rank up faster. That is how they get all their abilities. They start off with just one or maybe two abilities and then learn more as they rank up. Also sometimes a Personas can mutate and learn new abilities it wouldn't get from normal ranking up but I have no idea how that works.

The real damage is from Fusion Spells which you have to discover all on your own. You set the order your characters do stuff and if you get the right order, you'll discover a Fusion Spell. Ex: Tatsuya's Persona uses Earth spell and Lisa's Persona uses Earth spell gets you a Fusion Spell that is strong Earth attack.It gets a lot more complicated than that as some Fusion Spells require a specific ability + an element and you might never figure that out. There are dozens of Fusion Spells. There is an optional area where you can play loads of Blackjack to get points to buy special items with your winnings and one of the items you can get from there is an Accessory that will tell you if you can learn a Fusion Spell with your current equipped Personas. It's helpful but I still went through both P2's without learning many very useful ones. But maybe I'm dumb.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 27, 2020

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Awesome tips

Thanks very much! Yeah definitely sounds different then what I’m used to but should be interesting

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Important note: P2 is very very very easy. You pretty much don't even need to interact with the entire system of swapping out Personas if you don't want to.

Edit: I beat the second dungeon of PQ2 and maaan I don't know. The battle mechanics are way better in this game and the characters feel more like themselves and less like one-trait jokes, but the dungeon design took a serious nosedive compared to PQ. Admittedly the original PQ didn't show it's true teeth until dungeons 3 and 4, so I still have some hope, but not that much. I guess I'm the weirdo that gets really really hype for puzzle dungeons. I'm probably the guy they designed Strange Journey's Eridanus Sector for. It was me. I will accept all your hatred for this fact.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 27, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Important note: P2 is very very very easy. You pretty much don't even need to interact with the entire system of swapping out Personas if you don't want to.

True but it's easiness is only matched by its boringnesss.

I love Innocent Sin but it is not a game anybody plays or recommends for its combat. At least switching things up geives you something to do while meandering through dungeons.

Also I thought Eternal Punishment was a lot more challenging. It refined the battle system about as well as you could hope.

sandnavyguy posted:

Thanks very much! Yeah definitely sounds different then what I’m used to but should be interesting

I hope you enjoy yourself. It's novel and EP is actually kinda fun I thought.But these games are played for the music, stories, characters, etc..

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The npc dialogue changes everytime the story advances, trhoughout all locations in the game. Your party will have different dialogue in every locations.

This is a lot of text.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

The npc dialogue changes everytime the story advances, trhoughout all locations in the game. Your party will have different dialogue in every locations.

This is a lot of text.

I’m a sucker for text heavy games. Feed me that lore!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I tried to do the math once but I'm lazy and bad at math but there are 5 sections of the city in P2. Each section or ward has I think 6 stores. In each store there are, say, 5 NPC's. These NPC's + your party members will all say new stuff after every story event, or almost every story event. That means there are over 100 characters to get new dialogue from after each event.

Thankfully it wasn't all the time but "making the rounds" to talk to people after Plot is a big part of the game. Most of it is just flavor but sometimes you encounter important plot stuff or your party members talk about important details you won't hear otherwise.

You don't get access to all five sections of the city at first, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

In Innocent Sin, you probably could just get by using your default Personas, then use them until you get the upgraded default Personas, then use them until you get the ultimate Personas as part of the story.

Eternal Punishment on the other hand kind of demands you get new Personas regularly since it's a lot tougher and your defaults just won't cut it.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay so everyone in this game can get any Persona they want mostly. Some restrictions apply but most of them can be taken by anyone. You get Personas via accumulating Tarot Cards which you then use to buy/summon the desired Persona that is associated with the Tarot Card. You want 50 Lovers Cards to get Pixie Persona for a random made-up example. You get these via Negotiating with Demons in battle. This part is explained in the game pretty well.

Personas rank up and if they are attached to somebody they have an affinity with, they rank up faster. That is how they get all their abilities. They start off with just one or maybe two abilities and then learn more as they rank up. Also sometimes a Personas can mutate and learn new abilities it wouldn't get from normal ranking up but I have no idea how that works.

The real damage is from Fusion Spells which you have to discover all on your own. You set the order your characters do stuff and if you get the right order, you'll discover a Fusion Spell. Ex: Tatsuya's Persona uses Earth spell and Lisa's Persona uses Earth spell gets you a Fusion Spell that is strong Earth attack.It gets a lot more complicated than that as some Fusion Spells require a specific ability + an element and you might never figure that out. There are dozens of Fusion Spells. There is an optional area where you can play loads of Blackjack to get points to buy special items with your winnings and one of the items you can get from there is an Accessory that will tell you if you can learn a Fusion Spell with your current equipped Personas. It's helpful but I still went through both P2's without learning many very useful ones. But maybe I'm dumb.

Just to expand on a couple things,
It's best to prioritize getting lots of the "Free Tarot" cards that can be converted into any arcana you like at the Velvet Room. This can be done by forming contracts with demons (the game explains how to do them). In general in negotiation you try all the contact skills and then just keep spamming the one that works on that particular demon. (They are funny the first time you see them but quickly get to be tiring)

Doing fusion spells will also make your personas rank up faster through triggering "Mutations" so it's good to just do them all the time. This involves a lot of shuffling around of your characters' turn order in combat

In general the game isn't that hard though the encounter rate is ridiculous.

Also rumors are the main way that shops become available, and new items become available in shops. There is iirc one rumormonger in each section of the city so it's important to visit them often and spread rumors. Also you can get rare rumors by giving a lot of money to the cat statue in Kuzunoha Detective Agency.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm probably the guy they designed Strange Journey's Eridanus Sector for. It was me. I will accept all your hatred for this fact.

:hfive: Eridanus is straight up my favourite regular sector. People always bag on it, but Grus is straight up terrible and awful and just the worst.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dragonatrix posted:

:hfive: Eridanus is straight up my favourite regular sector. People always bag on it, but Grus is straight up terrible and awful and just the worst.

I feel like the people who complain about Eridanus just never get to Grus to complain about it :ssh:

I ended up just deciding to play Strange Journey Redux again. Maybe this time I'll finally actually try the Law path instead to diverting to Neutral at the last second cuz Law sucks. I hear the Redux additions to Law make it WAY less of an obvious suckers choice, which I'm curious about since SMT always makes Law suck real bad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My problem with Law in Strange Journey is actually that it makes a pretty alright case for itself, until you hit the point of no return where it takes a turn for the 'oh god no nobody is happy with this'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

My problem with Law in Strange Journey is actually that it makes a pretty alright case for itself, until you hit the point of no return where it takes a turn for the 'oh god no nobody is happy with this'.

Eh, Law is always pretty iffy. In SJ it has a nice face but it doesn't really hide the uncomfortable aspects that much. I think people are just more prone to look favorably upon some of Law's stuff than Chaos's stuff because Chaos is almost universally the biggest type of pure rear end in a top hat who wants to kill the weak whereas Law at least vaguely waves its psuedopod at being good to people (as long as they remain docile and obedient.)