Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That Jungle Yacht fuckin' rules btw, concerns of colonialist incursions aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Safety Dance posted:

All the aerodynamics of a brick, steering column in your chest as you burn to death in your sheetmetal tomb after a minor fender bender... Those were the days.

That strawman might have been valid if any one of those stopped the ability of car designers to make a car that doesn't look like a bucket of poo poo thrown over a box

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Memento posted:

It looks dope as hell but I have trouble believing that it could do anything useful in the unexplored jungles of Africa. Reminds me of the giant Antarctic truck that was a piece of poo poo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Snow_Cruiser

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That strawman might have been valid if any one of those stopped the ability of car designers to make a car that doesn't look like a bucket of poo poo thrown over a box

I... what?

Classic cars are gorgeous, but for all their throaty V8 rumble car manufacturers struggled to make 150hp without throwing the biggest truck motor they could find at the problem. That's probably good though, because braking and turning were mere suggestions.

I get it. Economy cars all evolved to look like the first gen prius. But the circlejerk around classic cars just winds up lowering the resale value because you damaged the clearcoat scraping cum off of some dentist's Galaxie.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

I... what?

Classic cars are gorgeous, but for all their throaty V8 rumble car manufacturers struggled to make 150hp without throwing the biggest truck motor they could find at the problem. That's probably good though, because braking and turning were mere suggestions.

I get it. Economy cars all evolved to look like the first gen prius. But the circlejerk around classic cars just winds up lowering the resale value because you damaged the clearcoat scraping cum off of some dentist's Galaxie.

I don't think they were in the 150HP range until the malaise era, and who cares about those. For example, the non-performance 327 that came in my Impala, which was the middle-spec motor in an unremarkable car for its time, made 250HP from the factory. Plus, it's a lot easier to add power to an attractive car than it is to add beauty to a modern one. I can drop in a 450HP motor with very little work, but I can never fix e.g. a 2020 Impala to make it cool.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I admit, I cherry picked the F85 Cutlass with the 215ci V8 (155 hp).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

I admit, I cherry picked the F85 Cutlass with the 215ci V8 (155 hp).

I'm also ignoring my other running vehicle, which has a 146HP V8. But it's not a muscle car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Every modern car is a goddamn ultra-exotic compared to any performance car deep into the 80s yet the DeLorean is cooler than a modern Supra. A Bricknose is insanely radder than any modern F-150, and a dinky AZ-1 will always pull way more 'oh man SO COOL' than any new Lambo.

In time modern stuff might be cool, but that time isn't today and I don't care how fast a new Mustang can go down a drag strip or into a crowd of people :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KakerMix posted:

In time modern stuff might be cool, but that time isn't today and I don't care how fast a new Mustang can go down a drag strip or into a crowd of people :colbert:

You'd probably care if you were in that crowd :colbert::colbert:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Safety Dance posted:

https://youtu.be/YyD4Y4-E98M

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The only thing stopping a car company making something that performs like a 2020 Lexus but looks like a 1940 Buick is A: it won't sell B: pedestrian safety regulations.

Maybe we can put enough active safety measures into cars that you negate the need for passive pedestrian safety measures, then we're left with asking manufacturers to go back to offering chassis so we can get our cars coach-built again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Safety Dance posted:

I... what?

When I was specifically referring to styling, yeah sorry but saying that they didnt perform and they are unsafe in a crash wasnt really relavent.

KakerMix posted:

I'm gonna say it. The Mustang is one of the better looking cars out there right now (Didnt say it was a good looker, just said it's better than a pretty sorry bunch). And that is very much as they tried to make it look retro.

quote:

The only thing stopping a car company making something that performs like a 2020 Lexus but looks like a 1940 Buick is A: it won't sell B: pedestrian safety regulations.

Imagine that hidieos front end on the new BMWwhatever was changed to look more look like an E36. Well don't have to imagine, there's enough photoshops out there that prove 5 minutes and some no name on the Internet comes up with a massive improvement within the confines of pedestrian design than a bunch of BMW "artists" wasting years and millions. It *can* be done. Hell, the 1940 Buick's bonnet is so tall you could try a retro design within 2020 parameters with it. And would it sell? Who the hell knows, car makers are hell bent on not trying.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This is decidedly not awesome

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you can't appreciate the comprehensively 90s SciFi prop car styling of the current gen Prius Prime I don't even know what to say.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What pedestrian safety things in particular? Seems like modern trucks and SUVs would be similar to a Bel Air shape.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I am less annoyed by current car design due to making things large and high to move
Impact points up and push pedestrians onto the hood than I am that regulations killed popup headlights.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjdI687yyKQ
twincharger go whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

taqueso posted:

What pedestrian safety things in particular? Seems like modern trucks and SUVs would be similar to a Bel Air shape.

There’s a bunch of stuff around the front crush structures and how much distance you need between the bonnet and hard unyielding engine components.

Like many other standards though, “light commercial vehicles” like trucks are frequently exempted. Smaller SUV’s are likely to be made to meet standards, “shape” doesn’t matter, impact performance does. For example, the above mentioned bonnet to hardpoint distance thing - you can get around that by engineering in other tricks, like the last Jag XK which uses airbag style pyrotechnics to pop the bonnet up a few cm to absorb the impact and reduce the risk of head injury.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/06/2jz-rwd-ae92-toyota-corolla-gti/

:flashfap:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Oh my god everything about that is perfect.
Even the dash is just A M A Z I N G.
Oh those hood scoops.
Jesus, even the floor paint is :kiss:

quote:

There are still a lot of plans for it; next up is to make molds so I can redo all of the body panels in fiberglass or carbon fiber.
STOP I CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oof, that thing is hard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I'll second this. The SBC in particular. It gets a shitload of credit because you can make a lot of power with it and there were millions upon millions built so they're cheap and plentiful.

But, I would wager that for every SBC built that made more than 255hp* (real horsepower, not the wildly inflated '60s numbers), there were probably 10, if not 100 built that didn't make more than 200hp at the crank. There are only three factory SBC heads that even have the capability to make good horsepower - pre-emissions camel-hump / fuelie heads, the heads on the L98 tuned-port engine, and the Vortec heads from the L31. Trying to make good horsepower with any of the other heads is an uphill battle. The absolute best factory SBC heads are equal to the absolute worst factory LSx heads.

The SBC aftermarket was huge because the factory heads and intake manifolds were poo poo.

*yes, I picked that number because the L31 is probably the only Good SBC produced in volume, compared to stuff like the OG LT-1 that only showed up in top trims of certain models.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I am currently working with a 1974 Pontiac 350 with an amazing 7.5:1 compression and was rated with 190hp. That was the high performance option for the GTO trim :hurr:

To get anything close to 300 you need a cam, heads and intake which to do you need to modify or replace the pistons so they don’t hit the valves with higher lift cam. By the time you have done all that why would I not just throw an LS in it?

Oh right because I am a contrarian idiot.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll second this. The SBC in particular. It gets a shitload of credit because you can make a lot of power with it and there were millions upon millions built so they're cheap and plentiful.

But, I would wager that for every SBC built that made more than 255hp* (real horsepower, not the wildly inflated '60s numbers), there were probably 10, if not 100 built that didn't make more than 200hp at the crank. There are only three factory SBC heads that even have the capability to make good horsepower - pre-emissions camel-hump / fuelie heads, the heads on the L98 tuned-port engine, and the Vortec heads from the L31. Trying to make good horsepower with any of the other heads is an uphill battle. The absolute best factory SBC heads are equal to the absolute worst factory LSx heads.

The SBC aftermarket was huge because the factory heads and intake manifolds were poo poo.

*yes, I picked that number because the L31 is probably the only Good SBC produced in volume, compared to stuff like the OG LT-1 that only showed up in top trims of certain models.

Man, there's 5 L31s in my local yard but the you-pull-it service is closed due to COVID. With next week off I could probably go pull the lot of intakes and heads and make some money on craigslist. I could even install a set myself but I'm determined to spend the absolute minimum amount of money on the Targetmaster in the Nova. Still be fun to swap it all after I yank it for the last time... Stupid virus! :argh:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am6wXtLaNf4

Fury Road is the car movie that keeps on giving.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
To add up to the vid above
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L67BiENzYs and like 5 out of 8 vids on his channel are on topic of Fury Road

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Today I learned that Honda got legendary sci-fi concept designer Syd Mead in to do some work for them :allears:

https://twitter.com/D1C0MM/status/1278823201745760256?s=19

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That kicks rear end.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Memento posted:

I want one for mobile DJ events.

I mean...obviously

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

I am currently working with a 1974 Pontiac 350 with an amazing 7.5:1 compression and was rated with 190hp. That was the high performance option for the GTO trim :hurr:

To get anything close to 300 you need a cam, heads and intake which to do you need to modify or replace the pistons so they don’t hit the valves with higher lift cam. By the time you have done all that why would I not just throw an LS in it?

There's merit in keeping the Pontiac engine in a Pontiac, just like I'm keeping the Olds in my Cutlass. At least for now. I don't want or need ultimate power, just a bit more oomph than stock. At least my Olds is factory rated at 310 HP (in 1970, so "gross" HP rather than SAE "net"...) Reality is about 200HP/300 lb.ft. to the rear wheels, dyno tested, BTW, and that's with headers, Edelbrock dual-plane intake, and a mild cam, but no carb tuning.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This rules so much

https://twitter.com/noonbase/status/1280007423927951360?s=19

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Moderately curious why there’s a Gemini capsule behind it...

Owns either way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Why WOULDN'T you put one there?

Checkmate.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

BigPaddy posted:

My 1968 Mercury X-code 390 was rated at 280 horsepower and 427 ft-lbs, but you can safely multiply that by .75 to get realer numbers. At least yours was rated in SAE horsepower. It has 10.5:1 compression, though! I have installed a 4V Edelbrock 650 carb and a Performer RPM intake, so it’d probably close to claimed numbers now, and it’s 60 pounds lighter. That cast-iron intake weighed a legit 80 pounds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

Why WOULDN'T you put one there?

Checkmate.

I mean when you say it like that, great point.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

MrYenko posted:

Owns either way.

Maybe they were twins? I couldn’t find any info one way or the other.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MrYenko posted:

Owns either way.

Houston Space Center is down the road in Texas miles from where Don and Roy Gay lived.

Rockets were the fastest machines around, NASA was filled with engineers and pilots of which I'm sure more than a few enjoyed fast cars.

They were brothers, the inventors of the funny car, and their father was a Pontiac dealer.

The marketing potential is too big to miss.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 7, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ thank you for the explanation!

https://twitter.com/vwdasher/status/1280462236473933824?s=19

The way the graphic on the side meets the rear lights is just :kiss:

https://twitter.com/QuirkyRides/status/1280460085404319746?s=19

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Wow this is so restomod like. This is the future I would love to live in, sadly we live in a different timeline where prius happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wasabi the J posted:

Houston Space Center is down the road in Texas miles from where Don and Roy Gay lived.

Rockets were the fastest machines around, NASA was filled with engineers and pilots of which I'm sure more than a few enjoyed fast cars.

They were brothers, the inventors of the funny car, and their father was a Pontiac dealer.

The marketing potential is too big to miss.

This makes way more sense, I didn’t realize they were from Houston. Thanks!