Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

So close to finally 100%ing this again. Just need Tonsil trinket and Dad's Ring. So annoying getting the secret room pool. Maybe Chaos can do it in the shop or something.

Breaking greed mode is always the best way to do your item hunting. Get the D20 and a shop with a battery, kill everything in the room so it's full of coins, use the D20, open the gold chests that come forth, pick up just enough coins to buy a battery to recharge the D20 and keys to open all the gold chests, reroll for infinity. Eventually you'll get through every item in the gold chest pool and it'll start filling those chests with items from ANY item pool.

I think there's some variance. I'm not positive, but I remember reading that there are a limited number of items available for each run, so it won't generate absolutely everything before it starts generating Breakfasts. May take a couple of tries. It's still way faster than playing regular and wishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

PostNouveau posted:

Breaking greed mode is always the best way to do your item hunting. Get the D20 and a shop with a battery, kill everything in the room so it's full of coins, use the D20, open the gold chests that come forth, pick up just enough coins to buy a battery to recharge the D20 and keys to open all the gold chests, reroll for infinity. Eventually you'll get through every item in the gold chest pool and it'll start filling those chests with items from ANY item pool.

I think there's some variance. I'm not positive, but I remember reading that there are a limited number of items available for each run, so it won't generate absolutely everything before it starts generating Breakfasts. May take a couple of tries. It's still way faster than playing regular and wishing.

Ok thanks I'll try that if I can't get it in a couple runs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I broke the game in a whole new way for me: summons. I'm definitely turned into guppy, and maybe also Bezelbub, I'm not sure on that. I can summon armies of giant blue flies very easily with Guppy's Head. I also have meat boy running around and a rider courtesy of 7 seals. So that's all insane and just that combo obliterated It Lives within moments of entering the fight, I didn't get a chance to fire one of my ridiculous tears.

Again they're in the form of coins, this time giant coins cause I got money = power and I'm sitting on 97 coins. My shots also stick to enemies for a DOT.

I'm in the cathedral and I've never been poised this well to win. Assuming I can persevere and get to Isaac, I'm holding an I'm Drowsy pill to counter his bullshit bullet hell. If I'm all well and powerful, is there any reason I shouldn't just fight Isaac if I find the boss room quickly? I always gently caress up in the cathedral and blow half my hearts. I'd like to just fight this son of a bitch and get it over with, regardless of outcome.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

That's also a good way to do greedier mode completions for troublesome characters. Just keeping D20ing with a strong character until you have an unstoppable build and are holding 2 algiz runes, then transform into a different character on the second to last floor. I only actually did this for The Lost using the missing poster, but you could do it for any character by using the clicker (or Judas, Lazarus, and ??? using their revive items).

Also, for the record, rerolling into an item with the D4/D100 counts as collecting it so rerolling your item pool out that way is another good way to finish your collection.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 28, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wildtortilla posted:

I broke the game in a whole new way for me: summons. I'm definitely turned into guppy, and maybe also Bezelbub, I'm not sure on that. I can summon armies of giant blue flies very easily with Guppy's Head. I also have meat boy running around and a rider courtesy of 7 seals. So that's all insane and just that combo obliterated It Lives within moments of entering the fight, I didn't get a chance to fire one of my ridiculous tears.

Again they're in the form of coins, this time giant coins cause I got money = power and I'm sitting on 97 coins. My shots also stick to enemies for a DOT.

I'm in the cathedral and I've never been poised this well to win. Assuming I can persevere and get to Isaac, I'm holding an I'm Drowsy pill to counter his bullshit bullet hell. If I'm all well and powerful, is there any reason I shouldn't just fight Isaac if I find the boss room quickly? I always gently caress up in the cathedral and blow half my hearts. I'd like to just fight this son of a bitch and get it over with, regardless of outcome.

Yup. Unless you're going for something specific on the floor killing the boss is all you need to do. This is why the Emperor card is so useful sometimes.

Also lol no- that's not anywhere close to 'breaking' the game. That's just what we'd call that run being 'won'

Breaking the game is when it goes so nuts that you're not sure your computer is about to crash because every room is just an incomprehensible mess of sprites and colors and explosions

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yup. Unless you're going for something specific on the floor killing the boss is all you need to do. This is why the Emperor card is so useful sometimes.

Also lol no- that's not anywhere close to 'breaking' the game. That's just what we'd call that run being 'won'

Breaking the game is when it goes so nuts that you're not sure your computer is about to crash because every room is just an incomprehensible mess of sprites and colors and explosions

Yeah, as a rule of thumb your run isn't broken if you can still see Isaac after firing a tear.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

One time I kept taking One Makes You Small pills until I was just a pixel

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

And also because fighting the boss on a floor first is a greater chance of a devil room - nothing says you have to leave the floor after fighting the boss, just go back and clear the floor afterwards with your new power.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

That's also a good way to do greedier mode completions for troublesome characters. Just keeping D20ing with a strong character until you have an unstoppable build and are holding 2 algiz runes, then transform into a different character on the second to last floor. I only actually did this for The Lost using the missing poster, but you could do it for any character by using the clicker (or Judas, Lazarus, and ??? using their revive items).

Also, if you just want to become death, destroyer of worlds, it's a very reliable way to make it happen. By the time the chests are only spitting out Breakfasts, you should be murdering waves of enemies in a second.

D100 is a great way to get all the transformations too. Unless you get unlucky and nerf yourself, you get like 3 or 4 on a D100 greed mode run.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Lee posted:

And also because fighting the boss on a floor first is a greater chance of a devil room - nothing says you have to leave the floor after fighting the boss, just go back and clear the floor afterwards with your new power.

Not really true. Taking red health damage from an enemy or hazard (including cursed room door and sac room spikes) will harm your deal chance, otherwise you can save the boss for last just fine. In fact, bombing keepers (shop or secret rooms) and beggars can raise your deal chance so it can be worth clearing to find those and bump up the odds a little.

Beyond that, going into the boss immediately is ultimately a gamble. There are some very nasty bosses but there are also some very nasty rooms. If you've got bare red health you'll have to do some calculus on which option is better in that case.

W/r/t Cathedral in specific, no, you can pretty safely skip through it. It has some mild advantages that can be relevant - easier to spot marked rocks, blue fires to bomb, your standard compliment of special room types (challenge, cursed, sacrifice) - but otherwise it can be full of truly tedious rooms, lots of mini/bosses, and usually has an obnoxious layout no matter what. No item room, no shop, no devil deal.

Womb 1&2 are the same, though you can force item rooms and/or shops to spawn with specific trinkets. (And you do get deals.) There are also some fantastic, though rare, womb rooms. Like one with 2 free rerollable items at the cost of spike damage.

Also another great way to fill out your item collection is to combine Chaos with MissingNo.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 28, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

flatluigi posted:

there's a few mods i have that are just "i'm gonna look this up anyway so just tell me" sort of mods and one of them puts a cheatsheet for what the dice do in every dice room

if you've got a poo poo memory like me i highly recommend installing a bunch of info mods like that

Which ones are you using? I tried installing this one but it just bugs the menu and/or makes the game crash. (I don't have +, just AB)

e/ just realised I messed up and downloaded the wrong version, I'll give it another go later.

Wildtortilla posted:

I keep getting Tammy's Head as Azazel lately, which is absolutely gamebreaking because you can nuke every room and one-shot every boss before Satan/Isaac, and clearing the room recharges it instantly. It's ridiculous :allears:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 28, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
A note on Tonsil; the way to get it on your items collection is to get the trinket and then proccing it by getting hit a bunch of times. this is because the orbital generated is an actual passive item that doesnt exist in pedestal form

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

ArfJason posted:

A note on Tonsil; the way to get it on your items collection is to get the trinket and then proccing it by getting hit a bunch of times. this is because the orbital generated is an actual passive item that doesnt exist in pedestal form

Yeah, that one was a pain in the rear end for me. I just never picked up the trinket since it didn't seem to do anything, then I discovered it was one of the last two things I needed and it proceeded to not show up for 20ish runs, didn't unlock, then didn't show up for another 20ish runs. I finally got it and the unlock for marbles (which I didn't have the card for despite already having the item in my grid?) and finished 1,000,000% though!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

John Murdoch posted:

Not really true. Taking red health damage from an enemy or hazard (including cursed room door and sac room spikes) will harm your deal chance, otherwise you can save the boss for last just fine. In fact, bombing keepers (shop or secret rooms) and beggars can raise your deal chance so it can be worth clearing to find those and bump up the odds a little.

Yeah, but even if you're a decent player, going through a entire floor and then the boss is more likely to make you get hit than just fighting the boss. [Citation needed], yeah, I don't have any data, but beyond like absolute top-tier players, I'm pretty confident in the assertion.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah with only red I'd rather boss first. Fewer chances for something to go wrong.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Tonsil is a real pain. I'd look out for ways to damage yourself infinitely/a lot (eg Keeper with Swallowed Penny) whenever you find it because it's one of the few items you won't necessarily pick up when you break the game with a D6.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1277293689677639680
Repentance status + 2.75 seconds of each new music track

https://twitter.com/FixItVinh/status/1275461394914295815

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I started dabbling with greed mode today. Is there any reason I shouldn't be farting around with it having only played ~30ish hours and cleared the game <15 times?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

So I started dabbling with greed mode today. Is there any reason I shouldn't be farting around with it having only played ~30ish hours and cleared the game <15 times?

Just play it!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Just do it. Although, don’t do it with Isaac unless you have beaten the Cathedral with ???, thus unlocking Isaac’s starting item.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I got 1 million percent!! But I didn't ever pick up Dad's Ring! The Tonsil activation gave it to me and I even checked my collection page and still had a question mark where Dad's Ring was. I thought I had to pick up everything. Oh well. I'll get to it. It feels a little hollow without it :D

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Jedit posted:

Yeah, as a rule of thumb your run isn't broken if you can still see Isaac after firing a tear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfcW-65j38k&t=3664s

"Fair... bit of damage here."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It should just open up the route to Delirium when you melt the final boss like that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

So Christmas the earliest.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Lee posted:

Yeah, but even if you're a decent player, going through a entire floor and then the boss is more likely to make you get hit than just fighting the boss. [Citation needed], yeah, I don't have any data, but beyond like absolute top-tier players, I'm pretty confident in the assertion.

To me your original post didn't read as "do boss ASAP if you only have red health because you're less likely to lose your deal" but "do boss ASAP because mechanically you'll have a higher deal chance" hence my confusion.

But honestly I still disagree unless you're truly desperate or have some kind of ace up your sleeve (High Priestess, forex). If you take damage outside of the boss room, you'll hurt your deal chance but it'll bounce back up. (I think repeated damage can shave it down to lower and lower percentages?) Whereas if you take a single hit against the boss, boom, enjoy your unavoidable 1%.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Better, but iirc not as good as a no-hit. Much like all the bad items that proc on taking damage, don't get hit. A 33% chance is no where near as good ad the 100% that you can get from not taking damage vs the boss.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
"Just perfect the boss" starts to break down when you consider the multitude of truly poo poo bosses/boss variants you can pull, even on floor 1 or 2. That's why I said it was a gamble. Maybe it's vanilla Monstro, maybe it's loving Rag Man and he brought 10 goddamn spiders along with him for good measure. :gonk:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 29, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If I'm following things correctly, not taking damage on the floor and/or boss increases the chance of a special room after the boss fight? I've been wondering if there were bonus goodies for playing well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

If I'm following things correctly, not taking damage on the floor and/or boss increases the chance of a special room after the boss fight? I've been wondering if there were bonus goodies for playing well.

Yeah, your chance of getting a devil deal after killing the boss goes down to zero if you take red heart damage at any time on the floor.

If you turn down a devil deal, the devil room in the future has a chance to be an angel room. If you use the hud that displays the game stats, these are the last two stats on the bottom.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Yeah, devil deals are a huge deal and turning on the stats display really helps you understand how to get them. Upside down cross is your chance of getting a devil deal. The rightside up cross is the chance that IF you get a devil deal it will be an angel room instead.

The main thing is to not take red heart damage, but there are lots of things that can affect your chances. Also if you get a devil deal don't leave boss room without entering it because the door will probably despawn when you come back to the boss room.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I had a hilarious Boss Rush fight. I was using Samson, and had managed to get a blank card, The Habit, and a Strength card. I popped the blank card when I entered the Boss Rush room, and after a few boss spawns I was absolutely huge, taking up nearly a quarter of the screen. Fortunately my hearts and damage climbed so much I was able to melt bosses immediately because my hitbox meant I was going to tank every hit. I couldn't even properly see the items that spawned after I finally one.

My girlfriend was watching me play (I'm playing a PS4 copy right now and she's interested in starting a profile for herself) and was cracking up at this giant, red naked baby basically stepping on the monsters.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Woo! Just cleared my first greed run! I unlocked a bunch of poo poo at the end, so it was a very worthwhile endeavor. What's the deal with all the closed, golden doors at the end after the Ultra Greed fight? Also, can I do anything with the golden statue he turns into?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Woo! Just cleared my first greed run! I unlocked a bunch of poo poo at the end, so it was a very worthwhile endeavor. What's the deal with all the closed, golden doors at the end after the Ultra Greed fight? Also, can I do anything with the golden statue he turns into?

Those are just there to open during the fight and let the swarm in to attack you.

Can't do anything with the golden statue. Be sure to donate all the money you have to the greed machine after you win.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, your chance of getting a devil deal after killing the boss goes down to zero if you take red heart damage at any time on the floor.

If you turn down a devil deal, the devil room in the future has a chance to be an angel room. If you use the hud that displays the game stats, these are the last two stats on the bottom.

Not to continue being a tedious :spergin: but it doesn't go down to zero. In fact I'm not sure you can actually get a 0% deal chance outside of having already been in the devil room and then exited and it closed.

Protip for learning about devil deals: They start appearing on Floor 2, where you'll begin with a 100% chance no matter what. So if you want to take a walk on the wild side, practice perfect-clearing Floor 2 (or protect those squishy red hearts with soul hearts; try looking in the shop for those).

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Not to continue being a tedious :spergin: but it doesn't go down to zero. In fact I'm not sure you can actually get a 0% deal chance outside of having already been in the devil room and then exited and it closed.

Protip for learning about devil deals: They start appearing on Floor 2, where you'll begin with a 100% chance no matter what. So if you want to take a walk on the wild side, practice perfect-clearing Floor 2 (or protect those squishy red hearts with soul hearts; try looking in the shop for those).

There's a few bad boss room layouts (usually slim rooms with obstacles or some The Gate boss rooms), that are unable to spawn devil/angel doors. Otherwise, even if you take red heart damage from the boss, you always have at least a 0.25-1% door chance on floor 2-8.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does this game come up with seeds that are especially challenging for the character you select or am I losing my mind in a series of 10+ stupidly unlucky runs.

I'm trying out Magdaline. I've played floors 1-3 across ten runs and haven't gotten a single +damage item, but I've gotten an absurd number of items that make me move even slower, give me more red hearts, and/or slow down my rate of fire. Even the enemy spawns seem extra designed to gently caress me. Fiery basements with stupid fast enemies, every run has had a GIANT room filled with tiny poops and several big poops that zip and zoom after me. Every miniboss has been a variant of Lust that moves at stupidly fast speeds. It really feels like this characters schtick is to walk around and barely damage high speed enemies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Does this game come up with seeds that are especially challenging for the character you select or am I losing my mind in a series of 10+ stupidly unlucky runs.

Just getting unlucky

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think picking up the Eden's Blessing item is the only thing that will effect subsequent runs (not counting unlocking new stuff, of course).

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm trying out Magdaline. I've played floors 1-3 across ten runs and haven't gotten a single +damage item, but I've gotten an absurd number of items that make me move even slower, give me more red hearts, and/or slow down my rate of fire. Even the enemy spawns seem extra designed to gently caress me. Fiery basements with stupid fast enemies, every run has had a GIANT room filled with tiny poops and several big poops that zip and zoom after me. Every miniboss has been a variant of Lust that moves at stupidly fast speeds. It really feels like this characters schtick is to walk around and barely damage high speed enemies.

Personal opinion: don't take pills unless you have Ph.D and know for sure they're going to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, there’s a protip: try to find boue hearts on the first floor (bomb any boue rocks you can) and if you find any, make picking them up the absolute last thing you do before moving on to floor 2.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Personal opinion: don't take pills unless you have Ph.D and know for sure they're going to help

Personal opinion: take every unidentified pill immediately.