Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

So that new Kevin Bacon Amanda Seyfried movie You Should Have Left stinks, if you couldn't have guessed. A totally predictable, unoriginal story, completely stale scares, blandly unlikable characters, it really doesn't have anything going for it. Just a total nothing of a movie.

The house needed to be like 10 times weirder.

The best part was the shop keeper character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

MacheteZombie posted:

The house needed to be like 10 times weirder.

The best part was the shop keeper character.

I really can't get over how lame most of the attempted scares were. He turns all the lights off and then once he leaves the room a lamp turns on by itself. He looks back over his shoulder for a second yet his reflection remains staring straight ahead. There's a bunch of Polaroids of nothing in particular tacked to the walls. Some generic Pottery Barn artwork appears and disappears as the scene cuts between camera angles. One of the walls isn't perfectly level when measured with a triangle. This must have been a money laundering scheme or contractually obligated for everyone involved or something. Just totally stale and inept.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Whoever recommended Gretel and Hansel ... thanks, that was really very good!

Does anyone have anything to recommend that's along the same feel of A Dark Song that I might not have heard of? That was my favorite horror movie of the past 5 years, though I wish the ending were a bit different.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BisonDollah posted:

I love the streaming idea, if it's set up for some films I can't find from the Horror Directors World Cup I'll have to make the effort to stay up late into the cold Scottish night and hang out with y'all.

I watched all the Hatchet movies and they just stink of Horror fanboy with not a lot else going for them. Brutal kills are fun gifs, maybe? The last one where they switched from giving some old horror actors a paycheck to show how awful they are at acting; to casting a bunch of comedians and Felissa Rose was the best of them. Jonah Ray's marriage proposal was very funny.

I can't figure out if Robert Englund's 3 minutes of excruciating screentime or Zach Galligan's painful Southern accent was the series lowpoint.

I haven't actually watched any of the sequels, but I have a soft spot for the first Hatchet, because I feel like it actually really nails the whole "modernized 80s slasher" thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I increasingly hated Hatchet which each movie I saw and then I watched Digging up the Marrow and I just had to stop because I hated the guy too much so I never got to Victor Crawley.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dead Hands Dig Deep is a weird little horrific documentary. Christian Death fans might like it. Weird movie ngl. Still unsure if its about Cool Corn or not.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

STAC Goat posted:

I increasingly hated Hatchet which each movie I saw and then I watched Digging up the Marrow and I just had to stop because I hated the guy too much so I never got to Victor Crawley.

You missed the "highlight" of the series.

I watched all the Wrong Turns before this and have Underworld lined up next, the Horror World Cup may have been justified in kicking these films out super early. ...why am I a completionist POS? Oh, suffer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I basically did the same thing you're doing back in April for the Franchise Bracketology. Hatchet really might have been the low, which is saying a lot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BisonDollah posted:

You missed the "highlight" of the series.

I watched all the Wrong Turns before this and have Underworld lined up next, the Horror World Cup may have been justified in kicking these films out super early. ...why am I a completionist POS? Oh, suffer.

i would never, ever call the Underworld movies traditionally good but four out of the five are fun as gently caress, the only real stinker of the bunch is Evolution

e: like, if the concept of something simultaneously being the dumbest thing you've ever seen in your life, but also immensely entertaining, is familiar to you then you will love Underworld

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 28, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Underworld Blood Wars, the fifth and so far final one, is a movie in which, at one point in a battle sequence, two dudes unload uzis into each other and then go RAAAAAARGH at each other so hard that the bullets all just go "nope gently caress this i'm out" and flop onto the floor

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Underworld movies are stupid, stupid movies but its a brand of stupid that I can see someone enjoying if they REALLY liked the Matrix or played White Wolf games or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best thing Adam Green ever did was his podcast. It’s sincerely helpful.

Digging Up the Marrow is pretty good, he played a lovely version of himself on purpose.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Underworld and Resident Evil are both guilty pleasure series and we are worse off for no longer having them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man that new Child’s Play is pretty lousy. Did not feel it at all.

It wasn’t important to the original, but I liked that the first film took place in Chicago and used its varying locales to great use. The new one was way too generic in its broad strokes about consumerism and felt more like a bad political cartoon than a horror movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Underworld has Kate Beckinsale in skin tight vinyl, what's not to love?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I just rewatched Autopsy of Jane Doe and it got me thinking, are there any other movies like it and Prince of Darkness where the scares come from a bunch of experts doing their job and finding out poo poo that’s impossible? I really love that tone in horror.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Underworld is just so good. Then they get dumb but I still love them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lumbermouth posted:

I just rewatched Autopsy of Jane Doe and it got me thinking, are there any other movies like it and Prince of Darkness where the scares come from a bunch of experts doing their job and finding out poo poo that’s impossible? I really love that tone in horror.

The Stone Tape.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Europa Report is kind of scifi, but fits.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

Quatermass and the Pit

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I watched the Maniac Cop trilogy last night for the first time in decades and had remembered nothing. The first was a solid low budget B movie. Nonsense plot, but fun enough, with a good cast. Part 2 was a big jump up in quality, and was an excellent genre pic. Sleazy, far better cinematography, the set pieces are great, Robert Davi owning it, and it's got a nice weird streak to it. Too bad they couldn't bring back Tom Atkins. The plot was still nonsense but who cares. Part 3 was a snoozer that forgot to include the Maniac Cop in a movie called Maniac Cop 3.

This got me hankering for some good night in the big city horror films. You know, deserted sidewalks under the streetlights, grimy alleys, dingy bars, seedy clubs, the flash of a blade under a neon sign, maybe synth on the soundtrack. Maniac, Maniac Cop, NY Ripper type poo poo. I know Basket Case is NYC horror, but I remember it mostly taking place inside an apartment building. Anything else notable?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's the name of that French? Film set in a post apocalypse and its all underground , was a low budget I believe movie. Anyway that's good but I forgot the name.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

I watched the Maniac Cop trilogy last night for the first time in decades and had remembered nothing. The first was a solid low budget B movie. Nonsense plot, but fun enough, with a good cast. Part 2 was a big jump up in quality, and was an excellent genre pic. Sleazy, far better cinematography, the set pieces are great, Robert Davi owning it, and it's got a nice weird streak to it. Too bad they couldn't bring back Tom Atkins. The plot was still nonsense but who cares. Part 3 was a snoozer that forgot to include the Maniac Cop in a movie called Maniac Cop 3.

This got me hankering for some good night in the big city horror films. You know, deserted sidewalks under the streetlights, grimy alleys, dingy bars, seedy clubs, the flash of a blade under a neon sign, maybe synth on the soundtrack. Maniac, Maniac Cop, NY Ripper type poo poo. I know Basket Case is NYC horror, but I remember it mostly taking place inside an apartment building. Anything else notable?

Deadbeat At Dawn

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Deadbeat At Dawn

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Kvlt are you okay

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Q is the single movie that most captured the feel of NYC to me but I think its set entirely in the day and in midtown.

Basket Case is very sleazy NYC and only half of it is in an apartment. But that's a very NYC sleazy apartment.

The Addiction is NYC as gently caress. Super arty and Greenwich Village NYC though.

After Hours is a movie I haven't seen in forever and I'm not even sure if I remember it correctly as horror, but I definitely remember it being NYC as gently caress.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The new York ripper also

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Underworld Blood Wars, the fifth and so far final one, is a movie in which, at one point in a battle sequence, two dudes unload uzis into each other and then go RAAAAAARGH at each other so hard that the bullets all just go "nope gently caress this i'm out" and flop onto the floor

STAC Goat posted:

The Underworld movies are stupid, stupid movies but its a brand of stupid that I can see someone enjoying if they REALLY liked the Matrix or played White Wolf games or something.

Okay I am officially on the Underworld hype train. I sleepy watched the first one when it was first out on home release... but yeah, this might be what I need.

CelticPredator posted:

The best thing Adam Green ever did was his podcast. It’s sincerely helpful.

Digging Up the Marrow is pretty good, he played a lovely version of himself on purpose.

I'll be checking that podcast out but I really liked Frozen and think it shoulda been a bigger deal. (It has more going for it than the catchy theme song and doll merchandise).

Origami Dali posted:

WOLFEN for New York... but maybe not very dingey as far as I remember it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Iron Crowned posted:

Underworld has Kate Beckinsale in skin tight vinyl, what's not to love?

drat. Once again the reminder that makes me add "try and watch the Underworld series" to my list again.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Kvlt are you okay

I am actually home from the hospital today! ty everyone for the well wishes it meant a lot fr thank a doctor or a nurse those ppl are loving heroes

also i love the hatchet movies idk i always thought they had some kind of charm like they're not perfect or even good but they felt like a good effort and are fun and there's some fun kills

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

What's the name of that French? Film set in a post apocalypse and its all underground , was a low budget I believe movie. Anyway that's good but I forgot the name.

Are you thinking of Delicatessen?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd rather rewatch all the Underworld movies than like Friday the 13th.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

insularis posted:

Are you thinking of Delicatessen?

No this is a recent film where its all underground and just this one dude in thi weird hosed up world its like 10 years . It may not even be french.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I enjoyed Paul Schrader's DOMINION: PREQUEL TO THE EXORCIST. It is way better than Renny Harlin's version anyway. The Brits vs the Africans is a little one-note, it runs half an hour too long and there's a Holocaust connection that is pretty crass BUT the demon and the weird janky arthouse effects made me loving poo poo myself. The connection between colonialism, christiandom and white supremacy/SATAN was kinda metal and the cheap-terrible CGI began to work for the film. I mean I wouldn't go out of my way to see it but it's sure something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Whichever one has the opening with the field of impaled crusaders gets my vote.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Hollismason posted:

No this is a recent film where its all underground and just this one dude in thi weird hosed up world its like 10 years . It may not even be french.

A Boy And His Dog maybe? Though that's not particularly recent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

I think you're thinking of The Night Eats the World. Its not underground or 10 years but its a dude holing himself up alone in an apartment building during the zombie apocalypse. And its French.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

Basket Case is very sleazy NYC and only half of it is in an apartment. But that's a very NYC sleazy apartment.

I'd expand that to most of Henlotter's films. Brain Damage and Frankenhooker are pretty old sleaze NYC.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BisonDollah posted:

Okay I am officially on the Underworld hype train. I sleepy watched the first one when it was first out on home release... but yeah, this might be what I need.

I'll be checking that podcast out but I really liked Frozen and think it shoulda been a bigger deal. (It has more going for it than the catchy theme song and doll merchandise).

WOLFEN for New York... but maybe not very dingey as far as I remember it.

So a word of, maybe warning for the podcast. It’s very whiny. But I guess it clicks for me because it’s things I’ve been frustrated with on micro levels of film production so it’s kind of cathartic to hear it’s not just micro level films that struggle with these dumb issues.

It takes a bit to sorta warm up to it but honestly once I did, it became one of my favorite things. The amount of help it’s done for me is tremendous and I’d love to meet Adam one day to thank him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kvlt! posted:

Deadbeat At Dawn

Dude, I gotta thank you for the most fun I've had watching a movie in a long while, holy poo poo