Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
My tips for big daddy Dong:

-Lu Bu can defeat entire garrisons by himself.
-Lu Bu can defeat entire armies by himself.
-Zhang Liao's Resolve of the Righteous affects the entire army.
-Sell off Dong Min ASAP
-Spend your Intimidation before you get into a bunch of fights. Intimidation caps very easily and wasting resource is drat easy.
-Use Coerce to bully money out of the Han when your intimidation is overflowing.
-Everyone will be at war with you forever. You are surprisingly porous for how narrow the chokepoint is.
-Once Dong croaks your bar empties out. Be careful. Raze a city or two to refill.
-Razing gives a massive trust.
-Strategic razing can completely cripple enemy economies since they'll want to reclaim that land and spend oodles of cash to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm at 101 and Dong isn't dead despite the event for pissing Lu Bu off firing lol. I've got most of Western China up to the southern river but its been quite a fun campaign. Balancing my public order has been tricky but its enabled me to crush uprisings for XP and Intimidation. I ended up disposing of the Emperor after turn 80 or so.

Thanks for the replies all, I'm enjoying it but I had kind of hoped Dong would be dead by now, I got rid of his brother who is now working for Liu Bei at least.

My go to main army is Lu Bu, Lu Ji and Diaochan and its just brutal, and they murder everything whilst supported by heavy crossbows.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 28, 2020

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

All right, there's a Steam sale and I MAY buy either Napoleon or Empire. They're $6.24 each. Which one should I buy? (or neither?) Attila is probably my favorite but I'm really loving 3k, for reference.

Both have absolutely dreadful AI but Napoleon's scenario campaigns are very fun (the general campaign is terrible).

Empire ist just disappointing, Darthmod makes it slightly less so.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The administrator of my neighbor's rank 10 Chang'an dumped the keys to his city across my border, said "lol, gently caress this j.o.b.", and disappeared into the political wilderness. His former lord doesn't seem to notice or care. Neat! Thanks, uh, guy-I-never-met? Wait, what's that...

Oh god, why is my food at -23?! Kong Rong, you devil, this was your strategy all along, wasn't it?! Even combined, everyone around me doesn't have enough spare food to sell off and you're going to take me to the cleaners! Fine, you might have taken all these clay pigs and poo poo-armors today, but this city will stay mine and I won't forget this trickery!

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
First serious Lu Bu 194 run and auto resolving a farmland attack and seeing him have nearly 2400 kills. :eyepop:

Him + Dian Wei who i was able to hire, they just completely demolish armies by themselves, jesus. I decided not to follow the story and just took over most of Cao Cao's land, but now i'm just at war with so many people that it feels like i'm just playing a tower defense Dynasty Warriors game every turn.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 28, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm going to give that Lu Bu campaign a go as I do enjoy playing him and those characters, any tips on how to manage the satisfaction maulus as him? Everyone seems to (suitably) hate him.

Roumba posted:

The administrator of my neighbor's rank 10 Chang'an dumped the keys to his city across my border, said "lol, gently caress this j.o.b.", and disappeared into the political wilderness. His former lord doesn't seem to notice or care. Neat! Thanks, uh, guy-I-never-met? Wait, what's that...

Oh god, why is my food at -23?! Kong Rong, you devil, this was your strategy all along, wasn't it?! Even combined, everyone around me doesn't have enough spare food to sell off and you're going to take me to the cleaners! Fine, you might have taken all these clay pigs and poo poo-armors today, but this city will stay mine and I won't forget this trickery!
Kong Rong went OFF on one in my Dong Zhou campaign, he owned a good quarter of China at one point which I found really unusual. Utter terror.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

I'm going to give that Lu Bu campaign a go as I do enjoy playing him and those characters, any tips on how to manage the satisfaction maulus as him? Everyone seems to (suitably) hate him.

:shrug:

So far my solution has been to just burn it all down and keeping his momentum high.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The first time I ever fought Lu Bu in this game, he was heading an army with maybe 10% strength against my full elite stack. He killed 1200 men by himself, wounded two of my generals, and I barely won.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Chocobo posted:

The first time I ever fought Lu Bu in this game, he was heading an army with maybe 10% strength against my full elite stack. He killed 1200 men by himself, wounded two of my generals, and I barely won.

McTimmy posted:

Had my first encounter fighting against Lu Bu.

He killed over 600 guys and forced off an entire retinue of fresh spears.

Had to mob him in swords and bows to just barely eek it out.

And that was him going against two armies because I was helping out bandit queen against him.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I think my next campaign will be Lu Bu with one of those AI commander mods, so I can play as only Lu Bu and let the AI handle the rest *Chen Gong sighs*

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So what does 'Guarantee of Autonomy' do, exactly?

In my last Cao Cao game I had Liu Bei as a vassal, and under my protection he expanded and committed severe border gore as he has territories all around me. I fought Ma Chao who had the Emperor for some reason and took the Emperor, giving me enough Fame to kick off the Three Kingdoms. Liu Bei, as the second most powerful dude also became an Emperor and went rogue.

I reloaded. Instead of taking the Han Emperor, I annexed Liu Bei (w/Guarantee) instead, giving me the territory to kick off the Three Kingdoms, and hit me for -45 trust.

I reloaded after that and annexed another vassal that I was certain didn't have the Guarantee, and I still got hit with -45 trust. Then the Lu Bu expansion came out so I put the game down for good. (I went with just eating Liu Bei, which was the best option as he didn't really care after a few turns.)

Is there any difference between having guarantee or not?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

without the guarantee, you can annex a vassal after 10 turns with only a -20 hit instead of a -45. I think if you are playing a vassal with a guarantee you have a bit more diplomatic freedom then you otherwise would buuut it has been a while since I did that so I may be making it up.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Just started a Gongsun Zan campaign and recruited Lu Zhi at turn 8 with a retinue of Destroyers of Treachery and Defenders of the Empire. Okay then.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

They are his units, and it's not like you can get any more without mods. Enjoy them!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Was steamrolling my campaign, and then decided that I wanted to re-assign one of my inspectors to a frontline province. Couldn't find an option to do it, so I dismissed her with the intention of re-assigning her to another province in the next turn. She ragequit my faction when I ended turn. I would have sworn she was a happy camper. Fuckckckckck.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

The Doomhammer posted:

without the guarantee, you can annex a vassal after 10 turns with only a -20 hit instead of a -45. I think if you are playing a vassal with a guarantee you have a bit more diplomatic freedom then you otherwise would buuut it has been a while since I did that so I may be making it up.

Yeah, I forget who it was but it may have been before 10 turns was up. That makes sense, thanks.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there a reference or icon for what units can fire on the move? I know Yi units can and the White Horse units from Gongsun Zan, can any others?

Chocobo posted:

Just started a Gongsun Zan campaign and recruited Lu Zhi at turn 8 with a retinue of Destroyers of Treachery and Defenders of the Empire. Okay then.
I started one too and got the same situation going on, may keep those units handy!

I also somehow have Cheng Pu, who has some really weird art.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Just hit the three kingdoms era in my Liu Bei game, and this is the first time Wu hasn't been one of them, to my pleasant surprise. Instead it's Shu-Han, Zhou (Dong Min), and.... Tan???? Points for whoever can ID that one without looking it up.

It's Wang Lang, of all people, who IIRC is pretty much a footnotes in Romance of the Three Kingdoms as one of the warlords Sun Ce dunked on when he was carving out Wu.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How the hell is he one of the 3 Kingdoms lmao.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In the 190 start, if Yan Baihu doesn't get off the ground that area ends up as basically Unimportant Faction Thunderdome. Some good luck coming out on top and I can see it snowballing a little.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how every one of the Troy lord trailers just had the Lord waving their arms and practicing inarticulate shouting.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In my last game loving shi zie (probably spelling it wrong, but the governor in the far far southwest) ended up balling out of control with his emperor seat on the border of yunnan. At that point i just gave up, you earned it buddy

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fuligin posted:

In my last game loving shi zie (probably spelling it wrong, but the governor in the far far southwest) ended up balling out of control with his emperor seat on the border of yunnan. At that point i just gave up, you earned it buddy

i get shi zie or ma teng emperors every other game

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Just double checking, where Nanman solidly confirmed as the next 3K DLC? Given Troy releases in August, we probably won't see the next 3K DLC until September/October-ish?

I need my Nanman fix :(

If it's not Nanman it'll probably be Guandu I'd imagine. Yuan Shao needs some fleshed out unique generals after all.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Who's to argue with the mandate of heaven

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I hadn't realised that both of Yuan Shao's generals are only unique with MTU and I still felt a bit stung that his wife and firstborn weren't unique. Cao Cao and him both need some more!

Shi Xie often can end up emperor if Wu never takes off down south. I usually try to interfere there if I can to stop it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In my experience the central
plains/Hebei rarely consolidate unless I'm the one doing it, so the game never has an appropriate Wei-esque endgame opponent. Also it's kind of hard for characters to actually die so by the end you find Gongsun and Yuan Shu et al. serving as ministers in random peripheral factions. When a lord loses their territory they and most of their retainers should prolly die.

Basically the nanman will be nice but I hope the next patch focuses on cleaning up the endgame and kingdom management a bit. And a character finder would be a godsend

E; even in the interim though this is easily my favorite tw since the original rome. I just find it compulsively playable

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 1, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm predicting some kind of naval combat with a red cliffs start date, I think nanman might be free dlc which would rule

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I love 3K but it is the dumbest poo poo in the universe that Zhang He isn’t unique but someone like Zhang Hong is.

I get Yan Liang and Wen Chou not being unique, even though that’s dumb too.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I've enjoyed the game most with both Make Them Unique and Puzzle Illustrations active, but the workaround I had to use them both broke with a patch and I haven't looked into whether I need to gently caress around at all to make it work now. With both those mods, I think pretty much every notable character had a great unique portrait.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

MTU and Puzzle work together out of the box, in fact I think Puzzle requires MTU now, so it should be fine, might just need to edit your load order (or check you don't have an old version.)

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 2, 2020

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Fuligin posted:

In my experience the central
plains/Hebei rarely consolidate unless I'm the one doing it, so the game never has an appropriate Wei-esque endgame opponent. Also it's kind of hard for characters to actually die so by the end you find Gongsun and Yuan Shu et al. serving as ministers in random peripheral factions. When a lord loses their territory they and most of their retainers should prolly die.

Basically the nanman will be nice but I hope the next patch focuses on cleaning up the endgame and kingdom management a bit. And a character finder would be a godsend

E; even in the interim though this is easily my favorite tw since the original rome. I just find it compulsively playable
Yeah, to use Yuan Shao as an example...
Wen Chou and Yan Liang died in the various battles leading up to Guan Du.
Zhang He, Gao Lan, and Xu You defected during or immediately after Guan Du.
Yuan Shao died after Cangting.
Shen Pei was executed after the fall of Ye(he was given the option to serve Cao Cao but refused)
Yuan Tan and a few of his followers were put to death.
Gao Gan died defending Bing.
Yuan Shang and Yuan Xi were murdered by Gongsun Kang to appease Cao Cao.

Generally speaking, captured officers were allowed to choose between serving their captor or dying for their lord. The lords themselves and their families were either extinguished(Gongsun Zan, Yuan Shao and his kids, Lu Bu, etc.) or deported far from their power base(Liu Zhang, Zhang Lu, etc.), a courtesy extended only to those who surrendered. A scant few managed to escape and serve elsewhere(Wang Lang to Wei, Yuan Shu’s son Yao also supposedly wound up in Wu, Kong Rong fled to Cao Cao’s court, Liu Yu’s son Liu He to Yuan Shao’s, that’s about it).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Puzzle does indeed require MTU now, which has caused a lot of grumbling as MTU has included more and more non-art changes. Personally I dislike their concubine system, the new class type they added for the female strategists, the random scripts and new events and poo poo they added(editing character salary costs and other stuff). I actually made a version of MTU that strips out everything except the new characters, the new art, and any new characters unique skills. Most importantly, this allows you to use Puzzle Illustrations 1.5 (which is what I really wanted). Should work fine with the current live version on steam (no 3k beta patch needed).

Let me know if there are any problems. Make sure you load Puzzle ABOVE this MTU replacement mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2134484981

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 2, 2020

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Generally speaking, captured officers were allowed to choose between serving their captor or dying for their lord. The lords themselves and their families were either extinguished(Gongsun Zan, Yuan Shao and his kids, Lu Bu, etc.) or deported far from their power base(Liu Zhang, Zhang Lu, etc.), a courtesy extended only to those who surrendered. A scant few managed to escape and serve elsewhere(Wang Lang to Wei, Yuan Shu’s son Yao also supposedly wound up in Wu, Kong Rong fled to Cao Cao’s court, Liu Yu’s son Liu He to Yuan Shao’s, that’s about it).

then there's my favourite minor warlord, Zhang Xiu, who killed Cao Cao's son, nephew and top bodyguard and yet got to surrender, was granted high rank and rewarded for meritorious service against the Yuans. Always try to recruit him if I get the chance.

quote:

the new class type they added for the female strategists

Gotta admit, haven't noticed this change. What did they do exactly? I know Wu-Kingdaiisance has some weird class thing with female generals but hadn't noticed it with MTU.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 2, 2020

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Captain Beans posted:

Puzzle does indeed require MTU now, which has caused a lot of grumbling as MTU has included more and more non-art changes.

Oh dang that kinda sucks. I really respect the effort they put into the art side of it but it feels like a weird decision to stealth in their gameplay changes when it's not at all what people are subscribing to it for. It's trivial to just make a second mod.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Koramei posted:

Oh dang that kinda sucks. I really respect the effort they put into the art side of it but it feels like a weird decision to stealth in their gameplay changes when it's not at all what people are subscribing to it for. It's trivial to just make a second mod.

:agreed: It's still worth it to me to play as Lu Bu and evidently have a literal vampire as my daughter though!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

The Doomhammer posted:

MTU and Puzzle work together out of the box, in fact I think Puzzle requires MTU now, so it should be fine, might just need to edit your load order (or check you don't have an old version.)

Yeah just spent a minute setting it back up, they are an incredible mod duo. Look at that sexy Zhang He.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The MTU art is better than a lot of the vanilla ones.

Do people here use the We're Different Generals mod much or prefer the puzzle ones? The puzzle ones seemed okay from the previews but I've not looked into them much.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah, I use all three. They're all compatible and flesh out the remaining generics a fair bit. Female general are maybe glammed up a little much but I prefer it to everyone having the same two faces. Also adds aging portraits to a few notable characters, which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The male portraits for WDG seem to be a really low resolution the last time I used it. So I've been using just the female one for now.
The women ones are definitely a bit glam but I like the variety. It fits and blends with the art which is nice.