Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

enojy posted:

Whoa! I had no idea that you can (presumably) just use R2 while you have someone in a chokehold to just fire your gun off in their face. Come to think of it, I also never thought of trying L2 to see if human shields are a thing in the game.

They definitely are, enemies will give you a couple seconds to line up a headshot if you have a hostage, but they will gun their friend down once you start firing. Also pulling of a silenced headshot on the guy about to spot you stealth killing another guy never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

stev posted:

It's me, the guy who loved that part and wished there were more areas like that.

Same, when they did that sorta thing in Lost Legacy it was the best part of that too.

I want a TLOU roguelike where they've a fully fleshed out city like that section, where the resources and enemies are randomised every run, and you're trying to survive gradually ramping up threats, trapping areas to have safe zones for sleeping, it could be ludicrously fun to play.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

blackguy32 posted:

Im just venting right now because this game does the very annoying Naughty Dog waves of enemies thing. Like I took out some people silently on one section and then after I did that, like 2 more enemies just came out of a house. It just felt really video gamey. Also, the dogs are irritating as all hell.

It doesn't do waves of enemies in the way I think you mean (at least regarding UC), because most of the time you don't have to kill anyone to progress, you just have to get out of the area successfully.

Also, dogs are annoying as hell in real life, this is just the first game where they are accurately depicted.

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I just got to a part where I dropped down and then the game decided that I needed to get spotted and enemies flooded the house I was in with smoke grenades while people rushed me with weapons and guns.

All of my nitpicks with the Uncharted games are flooding back to this.

That part was very cool imo, but yeah, just throw smoke in their face and stealth out of it. I don't think you're forced to kill any of those dudes. I think most scenarios don't force you to kill humans, unless we're talking about big brutal types.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I found if you get sniffed out by dogs, just lay one of those mines and crawl and lay in some grass and watch as it blows up the dog and usually the handler, one instance I managed to kill the dog and 2 people, it was so awesomely efficient. Another technique is to lay a mine somewhere open and then throw a brick/bottle near it and watch either infected or humans run towards it and get blown up. You can do a similar thing with molotovs.

I felt like for most of the game you don't need to get into a lot of open battles, the bow and silenced pistol are very good for picking off a few people at range if it is hard to get close.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao remember how there were goons that were like "Abby looks so unrealistic, nobody could look like that in the post apocalypse, she'd have to like, I dunno, have access to a gym and be in a militia or something"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

precision posted:

Lmao remember how there were goons that were like "Abby looks so unrealistic, nobody could look like that in the post apocalypse, she'd have to like, I dunno, have access to a gym and be in a militia or something"

lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

precision posted:

I still think Joel looked bigger in the apocalypse than he did in the beginning of TLoU1.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

precision posted:

I admit to being one of those goons at the time and in retrospect recognise it was super silly. In fairness her physique is still not one that could be easily achieved by the vast majority of women (let alone most men) even with the best gym routine and military training

But look I don't need a subplot of how Abby found a stash of supplements or tren or something, I've learned to love my jacked girl

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Even after it was revealed that Abby had access to a world class gym the loving chud nerds were still going apeshit.

E: ugh how does she have a gym in the apocalypse it's so dumb and unbelievable! It's so stupid!

It's a bunch of metal rods and plates with electric lights you loving jackasses

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A very buff woman that is not played for laughs is such an unusual site in a video game I absolutely loved it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The far more annoying thing about Abby's appearance is her braid. It easily ranks among the most impractical hairstyles to have during a zombie apocalypse because it is so easily grabbed. She should have snipped that thing off years ago. The comically evil slavers probably did her a favour in shaving her head.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

A very buff woman that is not played for laughs is such an unusual site in a video game I absolutely loved it.

Playing as huge female Rambo is the poo poo. The momentum skill is mandatory imo. Lay the smack down.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

It's a niche point I suppose but part of my hesitation with that was that there's a fear for a lot of women about getting into lifting that they'll end up "big and bulky" so a presentation of a character like Abby perpetuates that unrealistic hesitation. That and from the leaks I thought she'd be presented as more of a monster than she is when she's actually a super well rounded character. Now having played it I think more people are likely to be like yeah Abby rules maybe I should lift like her, than the opposite

JBP posted:

Playing as huge female Rambo is the poo poo. The momentum skill is mandatory imo. Lay the smack down.

Yes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Women being afraid of getting big is the same as men assuming they'll get big. You can't manage people's misconceptions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

I liked that her play style was pretty close to Joel's and it was bittersweet sort of feeling like I was playing as Joel again after Ellie's more acrobatic stabby style. Also as the person who killed Joel.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's a lot of cars and generators still running in this apocalypse. Isn't petrol/gasoline supposed to go bad after a few years?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just finished this game and I am not happy with it.

Thanks for reading.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tarnop posted:

There's a lot of cars and generators still running in this apocalypse. Isn't petrol/gasoline supposed to go bad after a few years?

More "evaporate" than "go bad", but yeah

It's also probably not a good idea to eat candy bars that are 24 years old, yet here we are

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

precision posted:

It's also probably not a good idea to eat candy bars that are 24 years old, yet here we are

also to develop a vaccine you need multiple trials of fairly large groups of humans and approval from an ethics board (joel (he disapproved))

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Me playing this game: "WOw that's a lot of zombies." Then I think back to Winter with David in the first game when a Clicker just wandered into the room with them while they were making very little noise besides a quiet conversation and huh, yeah, that's probably what they would've done with the PS3 if was that possible.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Candy bars are probably fine

The only thing that goes bad is fats like in milk products or peanut butter, but fat oxidation is more of a taste spoilage and not a health issue. Candy bars are so sugary that bacteria won’t be able to grow in them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Candy bars are probably fine

The only thing that goes bad is fats like in milk products or peanut butter, but fat oxidation is more of a taste spoilage and not a health issue. Candy bars are so sugary that bacteria won’t be able to grow in them.

Your facts and logic can't save you from the ludonarrative dissonance of Abby eating them in spore clogged environments!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Just finished the game and I liked it a lot. Had some issues with the pacing but overall it was great and I'm really glad I didn't read anything at all about the leaks or discussion thereof.

Question about the Scars: Is it ever laid out explicitly what happened to their prophet? I found some documents about her being a prisoner of the WLF but it's unclear how that ended, and how her influence spread so thoroughly.

Tarnop posted:

Apparently it'll go bad within a year, depending on grade and additives. I just figured they'd retrofitted them to run on ethanol or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

Your facts and logic can't save you from the ludonarrative dissonance of Abby eating them in spore clogged environments!

For Abby, just having them in her pockets raises her morale and therefore her health

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

Just finished the game and I liked it a lot. Had some issues with the pacing but overall it was great and I'm really glad I didn't read anything at all about the leaks or discussion thereof.

Question about the Scars: Is it ever laid out explicitly what happened to their prophet? I found some documents about her being a prisoner of the WLF but it's unclear how that ended, and how her influence spread so thoroughly.

As much as I love this game, reading about what was cut -- there used to be five days instead of three and you would go to the Scar island as Ellie -- is something that's really felt in the game with aspects of the Scars being underdeveloped.

I kind of like the air of mystery about them since its basically a theme that Ellie is rushing into a mission with no understanding of what is going on though this is arguably less appropriate to Abby's section.

I know it will be a while before we get anything new of Naughty Dog but man I am so excited for whatever they cook up for the PS5 whether it be more Uncharted, TLOU or a new IP. AlthoughI'd probably be disappointed if it was a new Jak and Daxter which gets rumoured all the time and was actually scrapped to develop TLOU). But my level of trust for this studio is so high, possibly the only thing I have more trust will be awesome is Playdead's new game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's heavily implied that Isaac tortured her to death.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I've had terrible nightmares ever since I beat the game. So I guess mission accomplished, Naughty Dog.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I know it will be a while before we get anything new of Naughty Dog but man I am so excited for whatever they cook up for the PS5 whether it be more Uncharted, TLOU or a new IP. AlthoughI'd probably be disappointed if it was a new Jak and Daxter which gets rumoured all the time and was actually scrapped to develop TLOU). But my level of trust for this studio is so high, possibly the only thing I have more trust will be awesome is Playdead's new game.

I would absolutely love them to tackle hard sci-fi.

edit; HOLY poo poo, imagine if Naughty Dog adapted a sci-fi story with moral grey areas like The Stars My Destination or The Forever War :swoon:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5F9uCifD4

ellies theme for the game basicaly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Me sneaking up on someone and then I pull out my shotgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg1bCXFLKdY&t=92s

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Am I missing something with the chapter select? It lists every chapter and the collectible counts presumably so you can go back to individual parts to collect what you missed but as soon as you play any of the chapters the chapter select list removes everything past that point. Reloading my older clear save restores the full chapter select but it only shows the collectible totals from when I originally finished the game. This makes it seem all but useless.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

chinigz posted:

also to develop a vaccine you need multiple trials of fairly large groups of humans and approval from an ethics board (joel (he disapproved))

It's my head canon that the fireflies were never in a million years going to successfully make a vaccine.

I'm not a doctor, but their method doesn't even make sense. In universe it's made clear that the parasite is in her brain but stopped by some mechanism. There's nothing they can learn dissecting her brain that wouldn't be learned through a blood test or spinal tap. It's not like the structure of her brain is the cause of her immunity and even if it is, you cant make a vaccine that alters brain structure.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just finished the game.

Ellie should have died. She's a bloodthirsty animal who has put her friends in danger and gotten them killed on multiple occasions. I was honestly disappointed that naughty dog didn't have the guts to have Abby kill her. Also, Joel murdered hundreds of people and deserved to die as well. Abby showed incredible restraint.

Also; Santa Barbra, while I enjoyed the location felt quite tacked on and rushed.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 29, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think the idea is that Ellie is not innately immune. She doesn't have some mutation that confers immunity-- rather, she was infected with a mutant strain of the virus, which doesn't cause insanity and death, it just grows around the brain and stops there. Since she's already infected with this benign strain, she can't catch the general one. In other words, taking samples of Ellie does nothing, they need samples of the fungus itself.

There's little to positively support this, but it makes sense.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ratbert90 posted:

Just finished the game.

Ely should have died. She's a bloodthirsty animal who has put her friends in danger and gotten them killed on multiple occasions. I was honestly disappointed that naughty dog didn't have the guts to have Abby kill her. Also, Joel murdered hundreds of people and deserved to die as well. Abby showed incredible restraint.

Also; Santa Barbra, while I enjoyed the location felt quite tacked on and rushed.

Pretty much the point of the game is that anyone you think "deserves" to die is going to have a bunch of friends who disagree with you, and if you go through with killing, then by your own logic you now deserve to die too. Abby is "Isaac's top Scar killer", so no doubt the Scars feel like she deserves to go. Seems like killing in the name of justice is a stupid idea.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I think the idea is that Ellie is not innately immune. She doesn't have some mutation that confers immunity-- rather, she was infected with a mutant strain of the virus, which doesn't cause insanity and death, it just grows around the brain and stops there. Since she's already infected with this benign strain, she can't catch the general one. In other words, taking samples of Ellie does nothing, they need samples of the fungus itself.

I was sceptical of this because I thought the same Infected bit Riley and Ellie but I rewatched the scene and it's two different zombos. I guess it's possible

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It's currently 2020 and a coronavirus vaccine will take a minimum of 1 year with most of the world's resources poured into it, they still need volunteers to test that the vaccine itself doesn't make them sick and also creates the antibodies to prevent the actual virus from making them sick. It would be hard to believe that maybe one doctor and some ragtag equipment could develop and test one timely and find some volunteers to try it without maybe resorting to what those rattlers do.

Even a vaccine wouldn't really solve the world's problems, chances are the battle against the seraphites and other factions would continue with everyone fighting for territory for the foreseeable future, just with some of the being unable to be infected. Hell I bet an immune faction would even try to weaponize the infection against the others.

if they ever do a part III i'd imagine it as Ellie as a grown woman trying to find the last medical community to come up with a cure/vaccine and willing to sacrifice herself because that is all she feels she has left.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Just finished the game.

Ellie should have died. She's a bloodthirsty animal who has put her friends in danger and gotten them killed on multiple occasions. I was honestly disappointed that naughty dog didn't have the guts to have Abby kill her. Also, Joel murdered hundreds of people and deserved to die as well. Abby showed incredible restraint.

umm the only one from Ellie's camp who dies (after Joel) is Jesse, and he came by himself, so I dunno what "she gets her friends killed multiple times" means to you. plus like someone else mentioned, Abby is responsible for the deaths of probably hundreds of Seraphites--those just didn't happen on screen (mostly)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Krazyface posted:

infraboy posted:

It's currently 2020 and a coronavirus vaccine will take a minimum of 1 year with most of the world's resources poured into it, they still need volunteers to test that the vaccine itself doesn't make them sick and also creates the antibodies to prevent the actual virus from making them sick. It would be hard to believe that maybe one doctor and some ragtag equipment could develop and test one timely and find some volunteers to try it without maybe resorting to what those rattlers do.
[/spoiler]

Yeah, also the fact that humans fundamentally understand very little about fungus on the whole, and fungal infections in particular, much less BRAIN FUNGUS.

The Fireflies were straight up engaging in mad scientist poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I just got to a part where I dropped down and then the game decided that I needed to get spotted and enemies flooded the house I was in with smoke grenades while people rushed me with weapons and guns.

Those guys come at you from a very narrow cellar staircase with no exit and you have Molotov cocktails.