Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«55 »
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

Welcome to The AutoZone,

a place where we all try to get along despite the ravages of the world. A reprieve from the breakdown of civil society, from disease, from unrest, poverty, zero-sum contests for material advantage, treks through ideological quagmire, and the brutal grasp of violent institutions.

No, I’m not talking about COVID in the year 2020; I’m talking about Cordyceps in the year 2038, one quarter century after the disastrous global Brain Infection event depicted in the award winning 2013 videogame The Last of Us. This is a thread for discussion of The Last of Us pt II.

Release Date: June 19th 2020

So here we all are: after years of intense development, fan speculation/argument, numerous delays, studio labour drama, industry scrutiny, real world political turbulence, hastening climate change, the passing of an entire videogame console generation, studio leaks, further INDEFINITE delay, and plenty of time for everyone to digest one of the most talked-about endings in the medium of interactive entertainment.

We must all have a penchant for abuse because we’re here to get hyped all over again, discuss, bond, and maybe even appreciate what looks to be one of the most significant videogame releases of the decade. Back in 2013 The Last of Us garnered over 250 game of the year awards and would go on to sell over 20 million copies across both Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 platforms, so expectations are running pretty high for its sequel. Nevertheless, the series is no stranger to controversy and heated exchange.

PLEASE NOTE / THREAD RULES

The review embargoes for TLOU2 at this point have expired and the general impression from people who’ve played it early has been phenomenal, however, this is a spoiler free zone until actual real-life-not-fake goons get their hands on the game and have had some quality time with it. We’ve had continual toxic posting drama about this game in other threads during the past 6 months and I expect this particular thread to avoid such posting pitfalls.

Use spoiler tags generously and often for the time being; discuss the first game at your leisure but put new plot related poo poo in spoilers, however innocuous it might seem. Report abuse or lovely behavior to VideoGames. I’d like this thread to be a place where people feel comfortable talking about difficult topics if they need to, not a place where we tear each other down. The world’s hard enough as it is, and all signs point to this game’s story being just as emotionally draining as the first game's, if not moreso. If you want to post unbridled crap or spread hot takes around take them to the PS4 general thread (politely), or to the The Leaks of Us spoilerchat contamination thread that VG was nice enough to set up a while ago. This thread is the babby zone where everything is gay. Do not post vitriol in here.

If you’re posting in here you’re agreeing to do so in a constructive fashion, that is: not egregiously loving with people, intentionally or unintentionally spoiling plot elements, etc. This game, like its predecessor, supposedly deals with some rather heavy poo poo and everyone’s going to be doing the best they can to process it at a time when the real world is already pretty chaotic, dramatic, violent, and hosed up. The game may not be your cup of tea, that’s fine. If that’s the case you are welcome to post your impressions, within reason. But if you’re the type who absolutely hated the first game and are purposely getting in the mix in here to stir up poo poo with other goons please be advised that it will not be tolerated.

With that out of the way!

TLOU2 (otherwise known by real humans as 2LOU), is a third-person, cinematic, stealth/survival game developed by Naughty Dog, a studio regularly lauded by industry types for its excellent motion capture work, impossible attention to detail, and technical prowess in the AAA gaming space. Continuing the story 5 years after the events of the universally acclaimed first entry...we’re bound to see some gnarly, hair-raising poo poo go down, including but not limited to: cruelty to animals, hatecrimes, extreme violence, etc. This is not a game series for the faint of heart, nor does it fit the traditional bill of ‘fun’, as many have commented over the years. It is highly engrossing and immersive however, and its many thematic/design features have been discussed at length with respect to their interactive complexity and ingenuity, despite the rather normal genre trappings of the plot.

If you'd like to know more about that please watch this excellent 15 part series The Rootwork Building (contains spoilers for the first game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoslgGRRhA

Several long gameplay trailers have been shared online over the course of years of development and publicity, of which I will simply post the early stuff because I’m avoiding knowing too much about the story beforehand. Many gameplay mechanics are making their return, including makeshift crafting and perhaps even the dreaded ladder/dumpster/pallet puzzles, but we’ll know for sure when we get there. Principles of game design have changed a lot in the last 7 years and it remains to be seen what lessons ND has incorporated into their design process during the rather long and troubled development period. That said, 2LOU is sort of a swan song for the 8th generation of videogame consoles; it's expected to be a technical showpiece and maybe even brick () a few legacy PS4s.

Conspicuously absent this time around, however, is the fan favorite Factions Multiplayer. Late into development it was quietly confirmed that though Naughty Dog was in fact working on a future multiplayer ‘project’ of some sort …2LOU would not ship with the Factions component so loved by its community. Project scope and limited development resources were the reasons cited, but my guess is that ND felt like the multiplayer conflicted with the image of delivering a game about serious subject matter. Anyways, a number of people in this thread rank the original Factions pretty high on the scale of multiplayer greatness, so there’s bound to be a little salt about its absence. Who knows tho, maybe we will see something in the future, but for now 2LOU is strictly a single-player affair.

Umm, I got nothing else for the moment. Thanks in advance.

Have a few trailers.

------

PSX 2016 reveal teaser crowd reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uuBwWUcvhQ

Paris Games Week 2017 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkmWigbq9Y

E3 2018 Trailer/Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btmN-bWwv0A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Here to support this great thread. I cannot want to play The Last of Us, Too on my PS4.
The bigoted chuds over on r/TheLastOfUs2 having a total meltdown because the game is getting really great reviews gives me the strength I need to post in this thread.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will outlast the Chinese government's buying of fat lady avatars with the true grit of the greatest generation

Here's to Druckman. He's done it again!

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Excited to tee off this thread.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

heavy hangs the head of the druck man, nobody to help him complete a dumpster QTE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

Waiting patiently for 2LOU/BUGSNAX crossover DLC

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We've never been into punk. It was too traditional.

Cheers everyone. I am pumped for this game.

factions. I pray that you resurrect someday, like video game multiplayer Jesus.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's called the Post ITT button !!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I did read one review that was spoiler free and I hate to break it to everyone, but they got rid of the pallet floating sections. I know this is devastating news.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will outlast the Chinese government's buying of fat lady avatars with the true grit of the greatest generation

I heard in this one you tie dead dogs into a raft and float it by their weeping owners to earn style points.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

Narrator: Ellie never did learn to swim

Krazyface
Jul 15, 2011

A: to get those sweet first-place bonus points

Hair Elf

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Narrator: Ellie never did learn to swim

Good. I'm replaying the first one, and I really hate it whenever they make me go underwater.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

hope i can finish the first game once again before the 2nd drops through my letterbox. gonna be tough cos i got online classwork to get done before thursday or im outta the class and im trying to balance everything like a uni student who doesnt need sleep.

im up to the hunter stuff after the bill section and i had to drop from grounded to survivor because i forgot you have health bars and how to basically play the game. also forgot about the loving bloater and thought i was doing well up to that point, i only had 1 death til then and now i have 50.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

Passing out pieces

the revelation that the reason Ellie is immune to the fungus is that she’s actually a pre-apocalypse experimental robot called LE-9 was a bit much, but I enjoyed the brutal battle royale against the eight prototype LE units

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

casual lamer

Thanks for the OP, it was informative and a pleasure to read. Can't wait for my physical edition to arrive on Friday.

That said, my disc of TLoU Remastered arrived yesterday so I'm actually going to replay the first game this weekend because I've only played it way back when I didn't even have a job not to mention a console, and played it on my brother's PS3 and never played the DLC either.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just beat the first game and its DLC. I was able to do so only killing a few dogs.

Does a more detailed list of the graphic and intense story/cutscene content exist anywhere that can be used to mentally prepare? Not full-on spoilers, mind you, just generic "a man does [hosed up thing] to another man"-type of thing.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 13, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

univbee posted:

Just beat the first game and its DLC. I was able to do so only killing a few dogs.

Does a more detailed list of the graphic and intense story/cutscene content exist anywhere that can be used to mentally prepare? Not full-on spoilers, mind you, just generic "a man does [hosed up thing] to another man"-type of thing.

I'm not exactly sure. I imagine that some goons will be giving loose heads-up type warnings in here as they progress through the game's scenarios, which is fine as long as they spoiler that poo poo.

WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

AI CUNT CREW
FOUNDING MEMBER
there's a certain depth in things like "The fucken dealership cross threaded my bash plate bolts and hit em with the rattle gun, it was an absolute cunt of a job to get them off again" that you just don't get with other words.

I cant wait to never play this game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

Then get out of the thread!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

AI CUNT CREW
FOUNDING MEMBER
there's a certain depth in things like "The fucken dealership cross threaded my bash plate bolts and hit em with the rattle gun, it was an absolute cunt of a job to get them off again" that you just don't get with other words.

Okay bye

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

univbee posted:

I have watched everything that ND has officially released and have seen absolutely nothing that isn't totally in line with the first game. Maybe it hits home harder because the graphics are so much better now, but I am completely confused by the "gone too far" people.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

veni veni veni posted:

but I am completely confused by the "gone too far" people.

Lately I've been hearing from friends that it's the dogs thing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I will admit It was a weird decision for them to make all of the dog enemies Corgis and Pomeranians

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

They are a studio with a reputation for dog discipline

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Lately I've been hearing from friends that it's the dogs thing

to be fair they are some very Naughty Dogs

I'm not going to have any time because I have a two-month-old but I'm hella excited for it to come out this Friday and to pretend I'll be able to play it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I have watched everything that ND has officially released and have seen absolutely nothing that isn't totally in line with the first game. Maybe it hits home harder because the graphics are so much better now, but I am completely confused by the "gone too far" people.

fwiw I had a visceral reaction to the trailer with the woman being held down and her arms being smashed. It's not the type of thing I'd want in a cutscene just before going to bed, or at least have a better indication in advance that it's going to happen. If things are otherwise in-line with the first game then I don't have any real worry (I don't personally have an issue with the dog stuff, but I know my brother will likely never get to play this game because his girlfriend is the most animal-sensitive person I've ever met).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

bok bok bok

College Slice

veni veni veni posted:

I will admit It was a weird decision for them to make all of the dog enemies Corgis and Pomeranians

I’ve played Tokyo Jungle enough to know that you do not gently caress with a Pom.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

Dewgy posted:

I’ve played Tokyo Jungle enough to know that you do not gently caress with a Pom.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I would 100% buy a Tokyo Jungle remake for the PS5, even though I was absolute garbage at it. it's got the Katamari Damacy vibe of being so bizarre as to be endlessly intriguing.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

The Last of Us: Sudden Brainworm Event

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Here to support this great thread. I cannot want to play The Last of Us, Too on my PS4.
The bigoted chuds over on r/TheLastOfUs2 having a total meltdown because the game is getting really great reviews gives me the strength I need to post in this thread.

Why is this game giving chuds an aneurysm?

I hate Joel because of the implied horrors he committed in the first game.

Wulf
May 7, 2008

This is probably gonna be good enough, but what I am really waiting for is the even grittier reboot to the series in 15 years or so.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Protons posted:

Why is this game giving chuds an aneurysm?

I hate Joel because of the implied horrors he committed in the first game.

Probably because the player character is gay and a woman, but with them anything is possible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

univbee posted:

the player character is gay and a woman

Bingo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also she is buff they don't like that either.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

Ellie's character development might be one of my favorite things in all of videogames.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Also she is buff they don't like that either.

Actually that's a different problem. There are two women in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BUT SATAN'S BOY
I COULD NEVER BE!

Pork Pro

JBP posted:

Actually that's a different problem. There are two women in the game

Oh, the one from that first full trailer that's rumored to be Ellie's mom?

Yeah, but Ellie's pretty jacked, too imo

«55 »