Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Stan Taylor posted:

I humbly request that you post tortoise.

Thurston says hi with a beer for scale.

I think I'm getting the roof figured out. I'm the type that usually takes a few trips to Home Depot after I think I have everything I need so I'm really trying to figure out all the supplies I need. It's going to take longer to put this list together then it is to build the damned thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That tortoise looks old enough to drink that beer legally.

I’m the same when it comes to hardware store trips, but I’ve been working really hard to make sure I have everything on my list these days. I suppose it takes less time than driving to the store, but it doesn’t feel like it.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

shovelbum posted:

Lowtax livestreaming with alt-right guys and "live-banning" trans ppl

Jesus gently caress. ok you folks are lovely, but I am never reloading this site again. Say hi if you hop over to b&r.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Can we keep it to woodworking in here? I had to check what thread I was in.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

I presume woodworking and tortoises was taken as read? :kiddo:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbbL_moQN9c

Rapulum_Dei posted:

that's a great tortoise, it's turtles all the way down, yo

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I hope, I have questions about this tortoise now. Does it just hang out like a really slow dog? How fast is it, will it run off with your beer if you set it on them?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
It does bring up the question, oil or paste wax for best Tortoise shell shine?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The junk collector posted:

It does bring up the question, oil or paste wax for best Tortoise shell shine?

Turtle wax, obviously.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Finally building babies first real workbench, going with a pine laminated top and think I've got the legs and stretchers sorted out. Still trying to decide how to attach the top though, I'd like to be able to break it down of I ever move so thinking not doing a glued mortise and tenon like I otherwise would. Thinking of just screwing it down from stretchers underneath, but has anyone used the approach of a free peg or tenon where it's not a hard fixed joint, just tight and the weight of the top keeps it down. Or am I just overthinking this and screw it from the bottom?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bob Mundon posted:

Finally building babies first real workbench, going with a pine laminated top and think I've got the legs and stretchers sorted out. Still trying to decide how to attach the top though, I'd like to be able to break it down of I ever move so thinking not doing a glued mortise and tenon like I otherwise would. Thinking of just screwing it down from stretchers underneath, but has anyone used the approach of a free peg or tenon where it's not a hard fixed joint, just tight and the weight of the top keeps it down. Or am I just overthinking this and screw it from the bottom?

You can make it so the legs/bottom frame bolt into the laminated top but you'll need to figure out how you want to do it before laminating.

obvious not really to scale but should give the general idea.

As long as your frame is well cross braced that should hold everything solid without glue.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bob Mundon posted:

I built my bench from Chris Schwarz's Knockdown Nicholson plans. The top and aprons are attached using bolts thread into brackets screwed onto the inside of the leg assemblies. When you need to disassemble it, you just unscrew the bolts and take it apart.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Got a few projects coming up where I need a cabinet saw.

I do not own a cabinet saw nor have the money for one.

Bodge job incoming.

1 sheet 18mm ply
1 sheet 12mm ply
4 castors with brakes.
1 comically small clamp (check the dimensions people)

Built for £75 all in.

Still got some drawers to add in and its very agricultural, but it will do the job until the workshop has been built. Table top comes off as it has to be portable to get through doorways right now since we're renovating the entire house.

Would you believe the hardest part was getting the acrylic to bend and screw in without breaking? The fence is absolutely rock solid and i'm really impressed with it. A few refinements I'd do if I made it again but its good enough.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Very creative use of one of those generic amazon hold down clamps.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

serious gaylord posted:

Got a few projects coming up where I need a cabinet saw.

I do not own a cabinet saw nor have the money for one.

Bodge job incoming.

1 sheet 18mm ply
1 sheet 12mm ply
4 castors with brakes.
1 comically small clamp (check the dimensions people)

Built for £75 all in.

Still got some drawers to add in and its very agricultural, but it will do the job until the workshop has been built. Table top comes off as it has to be portable to get through doorways right now since we're renovating the entire house.

Would you believe the hardest part was getting the acrylic to bend and screw in without breaking? The fence is absolutely rock solid and i'm really impressed with it. A few refinements I'd do if I made it again but its good enough.

Bhyo this is masterful. That fence alone is impressive.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Bhyo this is masterful. That fence alone is impressive.

Thanks, I can't take credit though as its a popular design on youtube builds. As always I just found someone that had already done it and made it work for me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Found out today that my local Rockler keeps Sawstops in stock despite the website saying otherwise so it looks like I’ll be picking up a 36” professional this week

Woo

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
That's a cool diy conversion I might do similar

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Bob Mundon posted:

I have some 3/4" dowels sticking up out of the top of my bench legs (sticking out about an inch) and with corresponding holes in my benchtop it doesn't go anywhere. The weight is enough to keep it in place.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I have some 3/4" dowels sticking up out of the top of my bench legs (sticking out about an inch) and with corresponding holes in my benchtop it doesn't go anywhere. The weight is enough to keep it in place.

Think a 3" pine top will be heavy enough to hold itself down? Seems like a pretty good option.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 29, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yellow pine is around 30 pounds per cubic foot. If your bench is 6'x18"x3" (not a small bench, but not particularly large) then it has a total volume of 2.25 cubic feet and weighs around 70 pounds.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Bob Mundon posted:

Think a 3" pine top will be heavy enough to hold itself down? Seems like a pretty good option.

Yeah, I can't think of too many woodworking actions that put an upward force on a benchtop, usually its lateral or downward forces.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Big question, do you bolt your workbench to the ground?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I had some red oak boards that have been in my garage for a few years. I needed to build a quick frame to replace a box spring and holy poo poo it's harder than I expected. Am I doing something wrong or should my drill bit come out smoking?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

I had some red oak boards that have been in my garage for a few years. I needed to build a quick frame to replace a box spring and holy poo poo it's harder than I expected. Am I doing something wrong or should my drill bit come out smoking?

You might want a sharp drill bit.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jhet posted:

You might want a sharp drill bit.

I had wondered if that was part of the issue. I've never bothered to get actual high quality bits, I just have a bunch and don't use them very frequently so I assumed it was probably still sharp.

E: So I just inherited a bunch of antique furniture and there's one item that I can't figure out. Any chance you all can identify bizarre antique furniture?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 29, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

I had wondered if that was part of the issue. I've never bothered to get actual high quality bits, I just have a bunch and don't use them very frequently so I assumed it was probably still sharp.

It's just rubbing on the wood instead of drilling through it which will make it heat up and start to smoke (like you're starting a fire, because you technically are doing that thing). You can try to sharpen it if you have the equipment for it too. It's just the cutting edge at the end of the bit that should need sharpening.

E: I can't ID furniture necessarily, but there's a lot of people itt that probably would have an idea.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Olothreutes posted:

E: So I just inherited a bunch of antique furniture and there's one item that I can't figure out. Any chance you all can identify bizarre antique furniture?

Bring it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, and don't feel embarassed because I've done this myself, make sure that your reverseable drill isn't spinning the wrong way. I angrily ruined a drill bit by getting it hot enough to turn the tip blue (ruining its temper) because I forgot that five minutes earlier, I'd reversed it to back out some screws.

e, in my defense I was drilling a small hole through a knot in a piece of hardwood and I thought it was just a really tough spot and a lovely drill bit

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spookydonut posted:

Big question, do you bolt your workbench to the ground?

Question for the Australians itt.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jhet posted:

It's just rubbing on the wood instead of drilling through it which will make it heat up and start to smoke (like you're starting a fire, because you technically are doing that thing). You can try to sharpen it if you have the equipment for it too. It's just the cutting edge at the end of the bit that should need sharpening.

E: I can't ID furniture necessarily, but there's a lot of people itt that probably would have an idea.

There were other sorts of wood I was also using, mostly old slats from the bedframe itself, which the bit went through with no issue. It was just the oak that gave it problems. But it probably is a sharpness issue, it's not a high quality bit by any means.

Mystery cabinet:

I know next to nothing about it. I'm 90% sure my grandmother bought it from an antiques store in the Ohio/Indiana area at some point. Beyond that there's nothing. I looked for some sort of mark to say who made it and couldn't find anything. I've never seen anything else like it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Interesting. Looks like a dresser to me, but maybe not for clothes but rather table cloths and such? No soft lining, so probably hasn't been used to store dinnerware.

Sorry for spit-balling, I've no educated guess.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Leperflesh posted:

Also, and don't feel embarassed because I've done this myself, make sure that your reverseable drill isn't spinning the wrong way. I angrily ruined a drill bit by getting it hot enough to turn the tip blue (ruining its temper) because I forgot that five minutes earlier, I'd reversed it to back out some screws.

e, in my defense I was drilling a small hole through a knot in a piece of hardwood and I thought it was just a really tough spot and a lovely drill bit

I admit to drilling wood with masonry bits in the past.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Question for the Australians itt.

I'm Australian.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

anatomi posted:

Interesting. Looks like a dresser to me, but maybe not for clothes but rather table cloths and such? No soft lining, so probably hasn't been used to store dinnerware.

Sorry for spit-balling, I've no educated guess.

No, spitballing is totally fine. I had actually wondered if the soft lining hadn't been removed or lost at some point in the past, it does sort of seem like a place to store your sterling silverware and such.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spookydonut posted:

I'm Australian.

Well now my crappy joke doesn't work :colbert:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Olothreutes posted:

There were other sorts of wood I was also using, mostly old slats from the bedframe itself, which the bit went through with no issue. It was just the oak that gave it problems. But it probably is a sharpness issue, it's not a high quality bit by any means.

Mystery cabinet:

I know next to nothing about it. I'm 90% sure my grandmother bought it from an antiques store in the Ohio/Indiana area at some point. Beyond that there's nothing. I looked for some sort of mark to say who made it and couldn't find anything. I've never seen anything else like it.

I think it is a dining room thing for storing linens and serving vessels like others have suggested. You could call it a server or a buffet or a small sideboard. It's not particularly old. Very likely from the 1940s-60s, but it might be from earlier in the century. It's a bit hard to tell from your pictures, but the drawer fronts appear to be mahogany, thought they are maybe some striped red tupelo or sweetgum and probably veneered as well. The doors/drawer faces that show are some kind of curly wood-again hard to say from your pictures. Maybe mahogany, maybe maple, maybe just some figured gum or something. It was factory made, and looks of decent quality. I would guess it has machine dovetailed drawers and a plywood back/drawer bottoms. If there's a label, it's probably on the inside of a drawer side, a drawer bottom, or somewhere on the back/bottom of the piece, but they aren't always labelled. I don't really know what style I would call it. It's not particularly valuable-$200-500 tops on a good day?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Yeah, I can't think of too many woodworking actions that put an upward force on a benchtop, usually its lateral or downward forces.

Lighter than air jokes aside, was wondering if any lateral racking forces would cause issues for a top not crazy thick. Sounds like not much of a problem though, cool.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Would you need to put no-slip pads under the feet or is just the pure mass of a nice heavy bench enough to keep it where it is?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm gonna put a nice couple of pairs of high heels on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Spookydonut posted:

Would you need to put no-slip pads under the feet or is just the pure mass of a nice heavy bench enough to keep it where it is?
Mine just sits on the plywood floor and hasn't gone anywhere, but I think it weighs about 300lb.

Bob Mundon posted:

Lighter than air jokes aside, was wondering if any lateral racking forces would cause issues for a top not crazy thick. Sounds like not much of a problem though, cool.
You could always run a few screws into the aprons/legs and countersink the heads below the benchtop.