Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
about abbys friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjBspxuUmU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Maybe given the rise of fandom and online communities people genuinely do feel that the fans own the characters as much as their creators/IP holders.

They might have a point, but writing stories aiming to please fans of characters never turns out well - and especially wouldn't work in The Last of Us, a franchise about people making morally ambiguous emotional decisions and then struggling to cope with the fallout.

I think it's just a very human response.

Even many people in this thread (some more tongue-in-cheek than others) seem to treat it as "Team Abby" versus "Team Ellie" (or the reponse to calling out Owen being to call out Joel above). As though you must pick a side and make concessions to excuse questionable behaviour of your "chosen" character/side. I'm not above this, I got pulled into this kind of thinking during the game, especially when you're thrust into Abby's shoes.

EDIT: Also, for example, you can prefer one character over the other without it being an endorsement of their actions. You can prefer Ellie as a character (for any reason, really), while still believing Abby is the more moral/justified of the two. Just like the villain of a peice of fiction can be your favourite character.

Phrakusca fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 29, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

makes you think

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Seedge posted:

There's no way that character would get surprised in a cutscene! They should have used the Totally Real Power Of Hearing Through Solid Walls To See Enemy Silhouettes to avoid it! PLOTHOOOOOLE

It does get a bit absurd how many times a cutscene starts with you going through a narrow passage or noisily opening a door, just to be ambushed.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Akapursch posted:

I think it's just a very human response.

Even many people in this thread (some more tongue-in-cheek than others) seem to treat it as "Team Abby" versus "Team Ellie" (or the reponse to calling out Owen being to call out Joel above). As though you must pick a side and make concessions to excuse questionable behaviour of your "chosen" character/side. I'm not above this, I got pulled into this kind of thinking during the game, especially when you're thrust into Abby's shoes.

Yeah, and the game's conscious of players feeling like that and works hard to overcome it, and working through that process is the game making its thematic points. I also think it's something you need to have actually personally played through to get rather than passively watch, which might be why so people who experienced the game through streams seem to hate it.

I thought the switch in perspectives was a really elegant bit of storytelling. That so many people react with incandescent fury to it kinda proves the game's point about the dangers of purposefully blinding yourself to reality for emotional reasons.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 29, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's very "gamey" but I would like there to be a way to (spoilers for stuff in the second half of the game) play as the other character in respective characters sections. Obviously not changing the voices, story or anything, basically just a skin/abilities/guns change. I just want to play as Ellie with her abilities and guns in the latter Abby sections cause it felt like, due to Ellie being the first half of the game, she never gets the amped up encounters Abby has. Would be fun to do the reverse as well, play that big seraphite encounter from the E3 showing as Abby and loving them up big time.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 29, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Akapursch posted:

He cut in line for his burrito

I'm not sure if that's a normal thing people do when they've got an assignment, or if he's a douche and does it and excuses himself by saying 'I have an assignment'. I think it's option 2 but it's not really clear in-game. Abby sighs and says something like 'come on, wtf dude!' but immediately leaves the line and cuts too. I think not everyone goes on missions so most of the people in the line are like "ugh... but... ok"

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

No the entire game is basically a 30 hour version of this scene (in the best possible way)

https://youtu.be/ukE7qnsLuwA

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

ymgve posted:

It does get a bit absurd how many times a cutscene starts with you going through a narrow passage or noisily opening a door, just to be ambushed.

It's always worth remembering that Listen mode is purely a gameplay conceit and it's absolutely fine if people get ambushed while doing something else.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is anyone doing a non-violent run through the game? How is it coming along? I'm about to give up because it seems almost impossible

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Is anyone doing a non-violent run through the game? How is it coming along? I'm about to give up because it seems almost impossible

Couldn't you just run to the exits to the combat maps and lob stun/smoke grenades behind you?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Seedge posted:

It's always worth remembering that Listen mode is purely a gameplay conceit and it's absolutely fine if people get ambushed while doing something else.

Yeah, but after the third time your main character really should be like "Narrow passage? Better throw a nail bomb down there first just to be safe."

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

ymgve posted:

Yeah, but after the third time your main character really should be like "Narrow passage? Better throw a nail bomb down there first just to be safe."

Oh dear, the noise of the explosion brought an army of infected down on you! Now you're ambushed!

That, or you blow yourself up when a random infected catches you and the bomb at the same time.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Seedge posted:

Oh dear, the noise of the explosion brought an army of infected down on you! Now you're ambushed!

That, or you blow yourself up when a random infected catches you and the bomb at the same time.

I would prefer that to the fifth instance of "grabbed straight at the start of the cutscene" in the game, honestly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I appreciate that in a bagel shop they have accurate Hobart mixers

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Anyone who considers this game progressive hasn't played it.

Edit: or if one does, he probably has a baby brain, I guess.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 29, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The more I play through the 2nd half of the game the more it becomes apparent that this should have been the first half of the game. There’s something incredibly loving morbid of going through Abby’s story and running into people I’ve already brutally murdered. Like there’s this big story playing out with Owen and Mel but I already know how this poo poo ends so why do I care. Vita girl seemed nice. Hell, even Alice the goodest of girls is the dog that attacks Ellie when she falls from the air ducts, right? So the one dog we’re 100% forced to kill just happens to be the good dog you take with you on the first Abby mission?.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 29, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

I played it and thought it was progressive.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Necrothatcher posted:

I played it and thought it was progressive.

Cool.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's progressive in the liberal representative 50%👏OF👏PRISON👏GUARDS👏SHOULD👏BE👏WOMEN way. Like how Rainbow 6 Siege features the world's most racially and sexually diverse antiterrorist squad. The Brazilian operators feature a woman who tortures and kills for intel and a black man who uses warcrime phosphorous gas.

For a AAA mainstream game, gently caress it, I'll take it.

Not everything can be DOOM +ETERNAL about the horrors of corporatism and colonial exploitation.

Or Barret talkin about complicity.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bewilderment posted:

It's progressive in the liberal representative 50%👏OF👏PRISON👏GUARDS👏SHOULD👏BE👏WOMEN way. Like how Rainbow 6 Siege features the world's most racially and sexually diverse antiterrorist squad. The Brazilian operators feature a woman who tortures and kills for intel and a black man who uses warcrime phosphorous gas.

I dunno if that maps onto TLOU2 that well, the LGTBQ characters here aren't deifying real-life authoritarian death squads like the ones in Rainbow 6 are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

What are the regressive mistakes this game makes?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

JBP posted:

What are the regressive mistakes this game makes?

The main one that people complain about is a trans character that exists just to have a tragic trans storyline, also the bad guys deadname them

For those of you that have seen all the pre-release rumors but not played through the game yet: No, Abby is not the trans character.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 29, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Probably should have been left at the
"Do you want me to ask about it?"
"No not really"
conversation.

From a certain point of view, many of the bad things that go down on that Day 3 are also a result of that character's stubbornness and I feel like that could've been written differently somehow.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ymgve posted:

The main one that people complain about is a trans character that exists just to have a tragic trans storyline, also the bad guys deadname them

Honestly if the problem is that there's a kickass trans character (voiced and mocapped by a trans male actor) who is constantly presented in a good light and who the rest of the games' characters accept without question, don't deadname and use the correct pronouns throughout in the process of helping them overcome explicitly transphobic villains it feels a bit strained.

I feel like a lot of the original anger was based on incorrect assumptions from the leaks.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 29, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Holy poo poo everything from the sky bridge to the hospital double boss fight is insanely intense. They couldn't have put a nice breather in there? Not even a giraffe?

An achievement popped telling me I've opened all of the safes (only 6% of people have done that, huh) so I'm guessing this is the home stretch? Please?

stev fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 29, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I want them to take this edgy brand of darkness to a new ND Dino Crisis type game.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

stev posted:

Holy poo poo everything from the sky bridge to the hospital double boss fight is insanely intense. They couldn't have put a nice breather in there? Not even a giraffe?

An achievement popped telling me I've opened all of the safes (only 6% of people have done that, huh) so I'm guessing this is the home stretch? Please?

You have about 3-4 hours left

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

precision posted:

Lmao remember how there were goons that were like "Abby looks so unrealistic, nobody could look like that in the post apocalypse, she'd have to like, I dunno, have access to a gym and be in a militia or something"

a lotta people dont know you can get ripped on plant based diets and its kinda funny. (tbf, ripped depends on your definition of ripped) also ripped cavemen and women didnt have gym membership either. like during lockdown i see people whining they cant wait to get to the gym and its like, buy a bucket and fill it up with water for fucks sake. or fill a lot of water bottles and put it in a carry suitcase. put books in bag. you just need resistance and unless you live in a ikea white sterile penthouse, its real simple to do, rest is just diet and commitment/correct and adaptive techniques and not a lot of people, nevermind just goons, know jackshit how to get the best out of it because thats where the modern controlling elite fash wants you at, weak in body, mind and spirit.

most in the post-apocalypse of tlou, unless they are hold up in big camps like jackson, would need to go hunt for their food and return to hunter gather mindset, all the lifting and moving of old world shutters and dumpsters, all the rope climbing combined with having to hunt and gather (unless provided) making them do some kind of intermittent fasting without realizing it, alot would be gonna be ripped as hell. unless its something like The Road, then again (lol road spoilers) bet theres alot nutrition in a baby.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 29, 2020

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
abby is on steroids

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FF7R had squats and pull up mini games but we don’t get a deadlifting mini game?

Bullshit trash game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
but anyway

https://twitter.com/LackingSaint/status/1276998450480066561

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

a lotta people dont know you can get ripped on plant based diets and its kinda funny. (tbf, ripped depends on your definition of ripped) also ripped cavemen and women didnt have gym membership either. like during lockdown i see people whining they cant wait to get to the gym and its like, buy a bucket and fill it up with water for fucks sake. or fill a lot of water bottles and put it in a carry suitcase. put books in bag. you just need resistance and unless you live in a ikea white sterile penthouse, its real simple to do, rest is just diet and commitment/correct and adaptive techniques and not a lot of people, nevermind just goons, know jackshit how to get the best out of it because thats where the modern controlling elite fash wants you at, weak in body, mind and spirit.

Working out with free weights like a bucket of water or a carry suitcase is going to get you injured fast unless you know exactly what you're doing and have amazing form. Gym machines have restricted ranges of motion so you don't have to worry about form that much. I've got a bar bell at home but it's nowhere near as effective in building muscle as a decked out gym.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

if your point is that abbys upper body looks just as buff as a world record holding powerlifter on steroids, who is also quite short and whose entire life revolves around lifting, then yeah, good point

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

am0kgonzo posted:

if your point is that abbys upper body looks just as buff as a world record holding powerlifter on steroids, who is also quite short and whose entire life revolves around lifting, then yeah, good point

funny that ultra-chiseled hunk of muscle male leads in post-apoc games never raise an eyebrow amongst players while a woman character who is explicitly into deadlifting and says precisely how much she can lift is some kind of unrealistic pandering

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

funny that ultra-chiseled hunk of muscle male leads in post-apoc games never raise an eyebrow amongst players

RE5 is not post apocalypse

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

funny that ultra-chiseled hunk of muscle male leads in post-apoc games never raise an eyebrow amongst players while a woman character who is explicitly into deadlifting and says precisely how much she can lift is some kind of unrealistic pandering

i don't know who you're talking about, but that would also be silly, yes

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

am0kgonzo posted:

i don't know who you're talking about, but that would also be silly, yes

pictured: a man who subsists on dog food and has a busted leg

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, and the game's conscious of players feeling like that and works hard to overcome it, and working through that process is the game making its thematic points. I also think it's something you need to have actually personally played through to get rather than passively watch, which might be why so people who experienced the game through streams seem to hate it.

I thought the switch in perspectives was a really elegant bit of storytelling. That so many people react with incandescent fury to it kinda proves the game's point about the dangers of purposefully blinding yourself to reality for emotional reasons.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at in my earlier posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

pictured: a man who subsists on dog food and has a busted leg

they should have made him look like mel gibson, i agree