Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FrenchBen posted:

Did they bring back the Plutonia team or something? Got in after one hour trying to actually make it work and holy poo poo I’m getting my rear end kicked on HMP harder than 2016 UV. Also, Tentacles are bullshit and so is that purple slime. At least the good old grenade attachment for the shotgun is still as reliable as ever.
Good news/Painful hindsight news: Tentacles in slime have bubbles over where they are hiding!

...Except for one or two that don't, which really throws you off backtracking through a level for goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Picked this up on sale finally, the varied gameplay mechanics are...a lot. Like it's overwhelming atm. I'm sure I'll become familiar with them as time goes on but I liked in Doom switching weapons was more of a choice, I could concentrate on just being more adept instead of constantly glancing at my hud to see how low my meager ammunition stores are getting.

With respect to the PC version though, some oddities - what is resolution scaling doing, exactly? I'm playing on GTX 1660 and with most settings on high, some ultra/nightmare, and at 2880x1660 that's where I get a (largely) solid 60. But if I set it to native 4K and drop scaling all the way down to 50%, I still get drops and it looks noticeably blurrier. Is it doing some form of temporal upscaling? It seems far more resource dependent than just scaling with custom resolutions, it's annoying when games represent scaling with just % numbers as well as I don't know if that means per-axis or pixel count.

As well, does dynamic res work well for anyone? I was glad to hear this had it had this as I hoped I would just set it to 4K/Ultra or slightly below and let the game manage the drops, but it barely works. Even setting to an intermediate res like 3200x1800 and setting the dynamic target to something like 70 still doesn't keep it steady. Doom 2016's dynamic res mod actually works far better.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If I might ask, which are the main tweaks to make you say that?

A greater emphasis on the game making you listen to the story instead of just moving on quickly? ( If so, this one probably won't be a problem for me.)
A more "arcadey", a more "videogamey" and less organic feel?
The Marauder enemies take longer to kill and more effort than most people like?
You hold a lot less ammo and can't increase your supply well? (This one could be tricky.)

To me (and this is very early mind you), the 'arcadey' elements of it really stand out, like every level is designed as a jungle gym and you're playing in Doom 2016's arcade mode permanently, and yet the game is simultaneously trying to bounce between grave, serious storytelling and simultaneously read like someone who read the jokes of the first and thought it would be funnier if they were more obvious. It's weird, it somewhat feels if this was farmed out to a very technically competent, but third party studio I guess?

You are basically forced to 'manage' yourself far more in terms of weapon switching/chainsaw/grenade/flame belcher as well, requiring you to constantly switch to survive. That added stress is a positive for some, for me atm it's more annoying. Again though, I'm early.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Picked this up on sale finally, the varied gameplay mechanics are...a lot. Like it's overwhelming atm. I'm sure I'll become familiar with them as time goes on but I liked in Doom switching weapons was more of a choice, I could concentrate on just being more adept instead of constantly glancing at my hud to see how low my meager ammunition stores are getting.
You're going to want to be switching weapons more often than even that -- like after every super shotgun blast or rocket launch or ballista shot. The reason is that it cancels the reload animation and greatly ups your damage. Which in turn is even more important than you might think, as it's a burst of damage that puts demons into glory kill range.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

If I might ask, which are the main tweaks to make you say that?

A greater emphasis on the game making you listen to the story instead of just moving on quickly? ( If so, this one probably won't be a problem for me.)
A more "arcadey", a more "videogamey" and less organic feel?
The Marauder enemies take longer to kill and more effort than most people like?
You hold a lot less ammo and can't increase your supply well? (This one could be tricky.)

The story is both trying to be more serious and also comes off as a joke, and is presented much, much worse.
The level progression is incredibly spotty (and also purple goop sucks), and yeah the videogamey presentation clashes with everything else.
The new mechanics aren't well thought out and the UI and control options don't support their use properly (no center-screen indicators for cooldown abilities, no dedicated binds for grenade and freeze bomb, chainsaw fuel implementation is crap).
And I don't think the permanent dashing adds anything interesting to the game and could have been accomplished by just making the doomguy faster by default (and if you want a character action style resource, give Doomguy a parry instead of a dash). Also the jumping/climbing sections are just....there. They're not horrible, but they could be cut entirely and nothing of value would be lost.

I have no problem with the reduced ammo count, there's an easy, infinite (when the spawns don't bug out) way to get more and I think making people actually pick their shots and switch weapons often is good.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 27, 2020

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ShadowHawk posted:

You're going to want to be switching weapons more often than even that -- like after every super shotgun blast or rocket launch or ballista shot. The reason is that it cancels the reload animation and greatly ups your damage. Which in turn is even more important than you might think, as it's a burst of damage that puts demons into glory kill range.

the training wheels version of this is to just pick two weapons and switch between them by tapping your weapon wheel button. It will get you 80% of the benefit of super-braining all your keybinds for every weapon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've finally gotten around to playing Doom 64 and I gotta say the entire art direction of the game is not working for me. Everything from music to sound design, to texturing to enemy design just doesn't spark joy

Whose loving idea was it to replace the demon active sound effect with the former human alert sound?! gently caress you, guy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

To me (and this is very early mind you), the 'arcadey' elements of it really stand out, like every level is designed as a jungle gym and you're playing in Doom 2016's arcade mode permanently, and yet the game is simultaneously trying to bounce between grave, serious storytelling and simultaneously read like someone who read the jokes of the first and thought it would be funnier if they were more obvious. It's weird, it somewhat feels if this was farmed out to a very technically competent, but third party studio I guess?

I figured that might be the case from seeing the arcadey elements in the preview videos, which did slightly put me off the game.

You are basically forced to 'manage' yourself far more in terms of weapon switching/chainsaw/grenade/flame belcher as well, requiring you to constantly switch to survive. That added stress is a positive for some, for me atm it's more annoying. Again though, I'm early.

That's old hat to me, I've beaten every Serious Sam game on Serious difficulty, single-player, no respawning. I'm well used to frantic weapon switching.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Does anything special happen if you beat the built-in original doom game on the computer?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
...ngl being able to parry a marauder swing and stagger him sounds loving incredible. slayer even has a sickass armblade to do parries with

hugos of id, get on it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

Does anything special happen if you beat the built-in original doom game on the computer?

You'd think that once you beat the big badasses and clear out the moon base you'd win. But there's no fat reward or ticket home. It stinks like rotten meat and looks like the Fortress of Doom. Continue the experience by typing in the secret password in the Doom II box and play the exciting sequel!

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Also, are there any reasons to not buy if I liked Doom 2016?

Doom 2016 feels like a vastly more complete experience, way more balanced in terms of hitting those sweet spots of a amazing video game experience.

Doom Eternal puts all it's attribute points in gameplay and it SHOWS. I don't know if you are a gameplay > all sort of guy, cause if you aren't, I sure don't know if you will like DE more than 2016. But if you are? Eternal, without a shadow of a doubt, is an absolutely masterpiece and a rip roaring upgrade.

Play 2016. If you need more of that gameplay you will love DE and not be able to go back to 2016.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No double dash and needing to use a rune to reliably restore armour makes it hard to go back to 2016 gameplay. Eternal is far more intuitive to play that I had to go back and adjust my keybinds for 2016 because I was getting smoked using the older setup.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Equipment Rune + Siphon Grenade is the Flame Belch of 2016

Not having to use the chainsaw every two minutes was nice, but there still wasn't much reason to use it in 2016 unless you really wanted to delete a big enemy to save ammo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

A.o.D. posted:

I've finally gotten around to playing Doom 64 and I gotta say the entire art direction of the game is not working for me. Everything from music to sound design, to texturing to enemy design just doesn't spark joy

Whose loving idea was it to replace the demon active sound effect with the former human alert sound?! gently caress you, guy.

I thought I was in the minority here. I remember renting it at Blockbuster, and I didn't like doom64s oppressive atmosphere, sucked the life out of everything and I could barely see what was going on.

Pet peeve but one, the gun sound was a stock sound everybody used when people were making super cool stick fights, and two I didn't like how it didn't have the shotgun cocking animation.

I decided to give it one more shot seeing as how it came with Doom Eternal, and while it has better lighting, the oppressive atmosphere and the lack of music was still there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

Equipment Rune + Siphon Grenade is the Flame Belch of 2016

Not having to use the chainsaw every two minutes was nice, but there still wasn't much reason to use it in 2016 unless you really wanted to delete a big enemy to save ammo

But that's two runes you could use to have more fun with, like the combo of speed on glory kill plus savagery plus the one that lets you gk from further away. You fly around the arena like a ping-pong ball

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i nearly forgot to write this out but the decision to have dashes in this game than a faster base move speed was a great one, and the reason why shows up when you use the speed on glory kill/chainsaw/crucible rune: you can move so loving fast with it active (and a good player can chain boosts well) along with a modicum of bunnyhopping that you can straight up dodge enemy shooting just by booking it. but it is absurdly fast, and if people are already complaining about the combat being too fast paced, having the player always be speeding around the maps is mentally exhausting. dashing as an active ability is way more intuitive to people in general, and when you get better with it, you can start using it as an offensive tool instead of just a defensive one. nothing like a quick dash -> ssg blast to put the hurt on drat near everything (albeit dangerously so in the case of mancubi)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

But that's two runes you could use to have more fun with, like the combo of speed on glory kill plus savagery plus the one that lets you gk from further away. You fly around the arena like a ping-pong ball

So many ways to play, and each as valid as the last

Ammo rune basically negates having to use the chainsaw to refuel and you can save it for annoying enemies like Pinkies

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

dangerously so in the case of mancubi

Flaming meathook->double barrel blast->midair dash away->land for a sec, let dash and meathook recharge->rinse/repeat :getin:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Flaming meathook->double barrel blast->midair dash away->land for a sec, let dash and meathook recharge->rinse/repeat :getin:

the mancubi aoe slam has enough vertical range to hit an incoming low meathook, right? i really need to get better at staying on top of dudes, i noticed they struggle with hitting you in mid-air to a surprising degree

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

the mancubi aoe slam has enough vertical range to hit an incoming low meathook, right? i really need to get better at staying on top of dudes, i noticed they struggle with hitting you in mid-air to a surprising degree

Slingshot past them and you'll basically never get hit.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
You're missing blood punches in that loop.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
So I picked this up the other day because I loved Doom 2016, and the gameplay is great and everything, but what the gently caress were they thinking in terms of the plot?

2016 was great because Doomguy interacted with everything by punching/crushing/shooting, while Hayden desperately pleaded with you to please let him keep exploiting hell, but Eternal has a codex and a plot that I think it wants you to take seriously and that seems baffling to me.

Also I'm not sold on the first-person platforming, but whatever.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I literally only read the Codex for tips on how to be baddies. Shoehorning the story into it was a bad idea if the developers wanted me to actually follow it.

Doom Eternal is all about that gameplay loop, and it's hilarious just how far of a backseat the story takes to it in comparison to 2016.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There is no story, there are only periods where I can sit back, stretch, and let my fingers recover before leaping back into the fray

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

There is no story, there are only periods where I can sit back, stretch, and let my fingers recover before leaping back into the fray

I have to say, this game is one of the few that makes my hands feel tired after a particularly brutal combat loop. I have dash mapped to the right paddle on my controller and I use it so much it makes my hand cramp.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

OR you can just hold "R" to skip those cutscenes and get back to ripping and tearing!

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Magic Mango posted:

So I picked this up the other day because I loved Doom 2016, and the gameplay is great and everything, but what the gently caress were they thinking in terms of the plot?

2016 was great because Doomguy interacted with everything by punching/crushing/shooting, while Hayden desperately pleaded with you to please let him keep exploiting hell, but Eternal has a codex and a plot that I think it wants you to take seriously and that seems baffling to me.

Also I'm not sold on the first-person platforming, but whatever.

The plot is laughably terrible. It's incredible how we went from 2016's general plot of "yeah whoops we hosed up this awesome technology and a bunch of people died but our intentions were good we swear!!" to... Khan Makyr, King Novik (LOL) and "The humans must be tortured, the flesh tenderized" so cringeworthy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm convinced that people who think that 2016 had a better story than Eternal just have no idea what actually happens in Eternal, because "Elon Musk wanted to solve an energy crisis but oops demons" was literally the complete summary of that game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For real, the Betrayer, a character who appear only in a single scene, has more character depth than anyone in 2016.
A hermit in self-exile gives you the means of killing the last living remnant of his son, that meant so much to him that he was willing to doom all of his comrades in arms for to get back, in an attempt at some sort of redemption despite it making his betrayal ultimately pointless.

Meanwhile what were the motivations of Olivia Piece for example? Studying Hell made her loopy now she does what hell wants.
Writing of the century right there.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I'm convinced that people who think that 2016 had a better story than Eternal just have no idea what actually happens in Eternal, because "Elon Musk wanted to solve an energy crisis but oops demons" was literally the complete summary of that game.

Jack Trades posted:

For real, the Betrayer, a character who appear only in a single scene, has more character depth than anyone in 2016.
A hermit in self-exile gives you the means of killing the last living remnant of his son, that meant so much to him that he was willing to doom all of his comrades in arms for to get back, in an attempt at some sort of redemption despite it making his betrayal ultimately pointless.

Meanwhile what were the motivations of Olivia Piece for example? Studying Hell made her loopy now she does what hell wants.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Jack Trades posted:

People prefer 2016's presentation more than they strongly prefer its content. The setting was a little more grounded and the Slayer was an intrusion of rage and tearing upon a semi-naturalistic world rather than one player in a big cartoon war.

I'm not going to call it good or highly developed, but Pierce's motivation was her disease/disability.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Also, the sequence of locations and events in 2016 made a lot more sense.

and the codex was well-written, informative, and funny, while the Eternal holograms (which seem to be their replacement for the 2016 codex entries in tone) are just way worse.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I just hate how intrusive story is in Doom eternal. In 2016, they mainly show you the story. In eternal, they literally stop the game and make you listen to the story.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I really wish they'd done more with the whole Hell on Earth thing instead of 3/4s of the game taking place in spots that didn't resemble Earth at all (despite supposedly being there) or on alien worlds we don't care about. Put the scifi cathedrals and hell temples in ruined Earth areas as examples of intrusion by both demons and makyr.

Though everything from the BFG segment onwards was mostly great.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I will maintain to the very end that every single complaint people have about Eternal would have been received as "awesome" to "loving awesome" if it was Quake 2020 (with the original Quakeguy/Ranger etc.)

e: especially the dumbass plot. I'd be 100% in for a story where we find out that in the time between Quake 1 to now, Ranger's been imprisoned by natives of some outer world, impressed them enough to become their whatever-the-hell, and has beef with some Betrayer and some King Novik bullshit or whatever

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 29, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'll give you that. I think there needed to be more hell on Earth

Goddamn I loving love that song too

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

The plot is dumb as gently caress and i love it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jack Trades posted:

If I have too find and read loads of codecs to understand, then Id rather stay ignorant.

Eternal has a lot of things I love about it but the way it tells its story is god awful. 2016 plot was silly too, but it was told in a fun way with Doom guy smashing the consoles and mostly ignoring their please to stop, the presentation is what made it. So far in eternal I feel like I'm playing some 15 year old kids spawn fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

b-minus1 posted:

I just hate how intrusive story is in Doom eternal. In 2016, they mainly show you the story. In eternal, they literally stop the game and make you listen to the story.
I helplessly mash the R key in Hayden's office, screaming "Clearly this one cutscene means all of 2016's pacing is worse than Eternal by default!"

On the other hand, the Eternal Hologram says Lemmy is God so it is impossible to say it's story is terrible.