Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Doom Eternal may have gone overboard with lore, abilities and cool downs to juggle, and the marauders slowing the gameplay down to a crawl when they appear, but overall I thought it was a blast and a worthy sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Marauders were great.

All the things you mentioned in specific were great.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

man nurse posted:

Doom Eternal may have gone overboard with lore, abilities and cool downs to juggle, and the marauders slowing the gameplay down to a crawl when they appear, but overall I thought it was a blast and a worthy sequel.

i liked all this stuff

Marauders are also an interesting piece to the combat puzzle in Eternal because you have to figure out how to do all that cooldown and ammo juggling while being pursed and still dodging other enemies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Marauders were extremely not great

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Marauders were annoying at first but I think the reaction to them was way overblown. If you just sit in front of them with the SSG and shoot on react to the sound cue you can easily stunlock them with a fast swap to the ballista. Everything else about Doom Eternal was cool except the story which was noticeably weaker than the first.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Sounds like a Metal Gear boss tbh.

Wasnt that the Pains gimmick? Except replace sponges with bees

God I love metal gear

I can’t think of a similar series that makes me feel like I’m playing metal gear

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
me on a monthly basis "what if i did a MGS series replay..."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Marauders were annoying at first but I think the reaction to them was way overblown. If you just sit in front of them with the SSG and shoot on react to the sound cue you can easily stunlock them with a fast swap to the ballista. Everything else about Doom Eternal was cool except the story which was noticeably weaker than the first.

:hai:
https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1242235603409920012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

If you just sit in front of them with the SSG and shoot on react to the sound cue you can easily stunlock them with a fast swap to the ballista.

That works in the first appearance but not when there are other enemies around, and having to mix dealing with them with the inflexible marauder pattern was not good.

I will admit marauders got a lot less annoying once I learned One Weird Trick to reliably damage them, but they never stopped feeling like they invaded from an entirely different game, probably a brawler with a dedicated dodge/parry button.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I’ll get back to Doom Eternal eventually but I didn’t find it as fun as the first Doom for whatever reason. I think a lot of it was just expectations. I really like busy action games like DMC and all those but something about the business in Doom was like... a step too far? I dunno how to articulate this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Doom Eternal's main problem, and I'm 100% serious about this, is that it didn't have an active style meter. If there was one then I think more people would have totally Gotten It.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Actually yes

Did they have it in the arcade mode? The original game had that when you replayed it sort of

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I’ll get back to Doom Eternal eventually but I didn’t find it as fun as the first Doom for whatever reason. I think a lot of it was just expectations. I really like busy action games like DMC and all those but something about the business in Doom was like... a step too far? I dunno how to articulate this

I'm on the same boat. I feel like it's too tightly designed and that's just not something I'm looking for in Doom.

I love dmc/Platinum games too but I don't want that style of stuff in an FPS.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 29, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

God I love metal gear

I can’t think of a similar series that makes me feel like I’m playing metal gear

MGS3 is in my top 10 best games of all time.

I still think MGS2 is a fantastic game. Shame about the absolute banal setting though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I suppose I can understand people not feeling the cooldown abilities and constant weapon swapping and perk/talent bloat but I have MMO brain so all that fit like a glove

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

I'm on the same boat. I feel like it's too tightly designed and that's just not something I'm not looking for in Doom.

Yeah, pretty much. The enemies are built around using the right counter and not anything else but at the same time the whole bestiary is coming at you simultaneously and it just gets exhausting trying to execute one kill move while also doing the avoid moves for everything else and also glory killing trash to keep yourself topped up. The older games, even 2016, tolerated and even encouraged running around firing whatever willy-nilly at everything that moved and if you do that in Eternal you will be punished.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CyberPingu posted:

MGS3 is in my top 10 best games of all time.

I still think MGS2 is a fantastic game. Shame about the absolute banal setting though.

You think MGS2's floating platform on top of a giant computer spaceship is more banal than MGS3's "the woods"?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Gripweed posted:

You think MGS2's floating platform on top of a giant computer spaceship is more banal than MGS3's "the woods"?

At least mgs3 had woods, swamp, desert, mountains, inside.

Mgs2 had hexagonal rooms. The setting was cool but all the rooms looked the exact same

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Painkiller looked pretty cool

It is too bad there isn't a modern version of Duke Nukem 3D and Blood that are on the level of the Shadow Warrior reboot thing.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Painkiller looked pretty cool

It is too bad there isn't a modern version of Duke Nukem 3D and Blood that are on the level of the Shadow Warrior reboot thing.

Painkiller loving rocked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What ever happened to Witchfire, that fantasy FPS being made by some of the Painkiller devs.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

What ever happened to Witchfire, that fantasy FPS being made by some of the Painkiller devs.

"release TBA, 2020" on their website

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo I just assumed (after, I thought, trying everything) that there was no reload button but there is! That makes things a little easier.

edit: all right, I'm done. A fitting end: I leave the bad guy in a pit and do an escape sequence , climbing up all the time and running full speed. Me: "of course, the bad guy I left below me is in front of me actually". 1 second later, bad guy steps out from in front of me and hits me or whatever, and the final fight starts.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 29, 2020

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jim with another, dare i say, even better video than the last one.

https://youtu.be/qB7c2uZACcI

Keeps it up, i might have to join his patreon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked Eternal except marauders

Very fun game imo, whenever a marauder is not on screen

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

FirstAidKite posted:

Sorry if the wizard101 stuff bugs any of you

Doesn't bug me, it's like watching a slow-mo trainwreck with every post, it's great

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Marauders need to move at half the speed they do, and not summon their pet outside the "boss" battle.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

don't shoot their shield and you won't get dogged

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

the marauder is the worst thing doom eternal has aside from its head being far up its own rear end

one completion in ultra violence was all i needed before uninstall

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thank you hideki naganuma
https://twitter.com/Hideki_Naganuma/status/1277538087149559810

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should put Jet Set Radio Future on Switch or something because I did not own an Xbox and would like to play it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE3xxppXlv4

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hey fellow goons, I was banned in the great Burt purge of January 2020 and am (thankfully) now back on the forums! Myself and another goon have been making this game for about two years, it's called Rhyme Storm and it's a freestyle rap rhythm game. We're launching in Early Access this Summer and you can wishlist us here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250350/Rhyme_Storm/

It's a big help if you do wishlist us and takes only a second! We just published a second video demonstrating how the gameplay works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKgbRZ7GQog

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i am unlikely to play that game but i will wishlist it just for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92__UaovpiI

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
add this song to ur game and i will buy it ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsaS1Tm-Ic

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

Hey fellow goons, I was banned in the great Burt purge of January 2020 and am (thankfully) now back on the forums! Myself and another goon have been making this game for about two years, it's called Rhyme Storm and it's a freestyle rap rhythm game. We're launching in Early Access this Summer and you can wishlist us here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250350/Rhyme_Storm/

It's a big help if you do wishlist us and takes only a second! We just published a second video demonstrating how the gameplay works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKgbRZ7GQog

Man, this looks like it would be really good brain practice.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I think they should have simply made the marauder fun to fight

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wendell posted:

Man, this looks like it would be really good brain practice.

It's definitely a brain twister of a game! At launch we will have an easy and normal difficulty in this style, as well as a really cool mode that generates whole sentences. If you're familiar with Markov chains/IRC bots back in the day, picture that but in a rap style. It's like a whole AI generated freestyle and it's pretty hilarious! We'll be showing that off sometime soon.

Our first big priority post launch is a full VR mode.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Relax Or DIE posted:

I think they should have simply made the marauder fun to fight

They left "is_fun" as "0" and not "1" real amateur hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

i am unlikely to play that game but i will wishlist it just for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92__UaovpiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LspHkXsuVjY