Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

PageMaster posted:

Oof, hopped into multiplayer to check it out and it was a slaughter. Hopefully the community stays active long enough now that it's out on Steam to actually get somewhat decent.

it's much better with friends, hop in: https://discord.gg/kV2HaFf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

it's much better with friends, hop in: https://discord.gg/kV2HaFf

Thanks! No sarcasm either, been looking for a new multiplayer hook since I (finally) stopped playing Team Fortress 2 and this game feels really good and would love for it to stick around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Slim Pickens posted:

I mained ion before they nerfed his laser, goosing ejecting pilots was the funnest poo poo

Tried playing him again and all the power management poo poo just annoys me.

The instant 2nd laser was honestly Ion's biggest strength.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FastestGunAlive posted:

Ion is so good in the hands of a capable player, from my perspective as a 🅱️onarch main. If you can manage that shield then I’m pretty much useless and just trying to get in pot shots in between shield uses. Of course an ally will come along and start unloading so instead of (maybe) keeping mutual damage even, at best, I end up getting smoked

As a newbie,
Ion's shield feels pretty bad to use compared to other titans, because it eats up the same energy pool you use for all your damage tools, so holding the shield up to block stuff ends up with you feeling pretty neutered until you can go sit on your hands around a corner for 10 seconds while your laser battery refills.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

As a newbie,
Ion's shield feels pretty bad to use compared to other titans, because it eats up the same energy pool you use for all your damage tools, so holding the shield up to block stuff ends up with you feeling pretty neutered until you can go sit on your hands around a corner for 10 seconds while your laser battery refills.

That's where the strategy comes in, Ion has a decent chassis and can take some beats but you really have to prioritise what you're blocking to throw back. For example vs Tone, he'll hit you with 3 shots to lock on and then launch the missiles at you. Those 3 shots aren't that damaging but the missiles really are so you find yourself counting how many times you've been shot so you can ready yourself to stop the missiles to throw back in his face. A crappy Tone will mash missiles as soon as they've locked, if they're smart they'll expect you to be holding out your vortex shield and delay the missiles as long as possible in order to get the damage. Monarch's gun is similarly not that damaging unless it's upgraded, the missile rack does hurt though. And vs a Legion they should probably be fairly scared as everything they throw at you you're going to send right back at them with added damage. I've found that Ronin is Ion's biggest annoyance as outside of the grand cannon (and even during) it's hard to pin him down because he's so loving fast. Scorch is sloooooooow so he's no real issue, just don't let him get close and Northstar is just an annoyance as the projectile snipe has travel time, you have a superior snipe shot with the laser :v: and you can throw his back at him too.

It does take some learning the quirks of your titan and what the others are capable of so you can combat them effectively. That comes with time in all the titans, the more you know about them the easier it will be. I'm sure others will chime in with some tips.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 27, 2020

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
^^^ Great advice about Ion matchups. Agreed that Ronin is basically the only Titan matchup that I have trouble with. If it's a GOOD Ronin player then I'm probably coming out of the fight doomed at best. The only thing I can really do besides keep distance and pick at with laser shots is when Ronin comes up close to attack with sword put up smoke, put up energy shield to try to block and let the energy smoke pick away at Ronin health.

https://i.imgur.com/wDiKSzB.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/Gd2Rvty.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/29wwsyx.gifv

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh yea forgot my other monarch tip: use your laser blast on enemy drop ships to help you charge shields before going into combat or if you aren’t around any enemies.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I hope this doesn't break a rule around shilling, but there's a tournament for TF2 coming up on July 18. Sign-ups are here, closing July 12: https://t.ly/x1E7 I'm not playing but I'm going to throw $20 into the prize pool.

Edit: Re Monarch tips following from the guy above: don't be surprised when veteran players rage at you, depending on how you play her. ;) For attrition mode, the monarch core gain is probably a bit too high, the XO-16 Accelerator a bit too good, or some mix of the two. There's a certain species of player - usually uses JUST CAR, Spitfire or R-97 and nothing else - who will grunt farm until they get Monarch and then sit in the safest plaec possible until they can get the XO-16. I don't actually mind it that much because I think a team who actually focuses on killing titans instead of just ignoring them until they get out of control can do so pretty easily. Some people get funny about how the game is MEANT to be played. I geuss they're not entirely wrong since most of the things complained about should be toned down a bit...

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 28, 2020

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Any protips to initiating rodeos effectively? Titans just move too goddamn fast, even if they are unaware of a pilot looking for a drop on them.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Use the Grapple, Beef :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The cloak says it's more effective vs titan sensors so I've just been popping that and rushing at them when I'm on a loadout that has it and it seems to work pretty well.

But is it actually invisible to titan sensors, or is it a noticeable blur like it is for other pilots?
If it's not truly invisible to titans I'll probably ditch it and try out the grapple.

Also, re: beef:
Titans are faster than a sprinting pilot but really you should be wall-running and jumping around everywhere, you move way faster and should have no problem catching up with titans. Of course it puts you at the perfect height to get punched outta the air for an instant kill, so don't do it if they see you.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The cloak says it's more effective vs titan sensors so I've just been popping that and rushing at them when I'm on a loadout that has it and it seems to work pretty well.

But is it actually invisible to titan sensors, or is it a noticeable blur like it is for other pilots?
If it's not truly invisible to titans I'll probably ditch it and try out the grapple.

A Titan can still see a cloaked pilot's jump jets when boosting around. If a Cloaked Pilot uses the perk Low Profile then they are completely invisible to Titans.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Wazzit posted:

A Titan can still see a cloaked pilot's jump jets when boosting around. If a Cloaked Pilot uses the perk Low Profile then they are completely invisible to Titans.

The completely invisible part isn’t true. Cloaked pilots show up as digital shimmering mirages to Titans. That’s not entirely accurate, but it conveys the idea.

There’s also other tells like moving in smoke, and running through dirt or water.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I just have low profile and boost onto the Titans. If they didn't see you coming you'll be done before their smoke can kill and if they did you weren't getting it anyway. Might as well make reaching them easier.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Be aware that stealing batteries off a Scorch near a wall is risky at any point. As a Scorch if you get rodeod simply stand with your back against the wall, look directly up and hold your flame shield. Steal your battery back from the charred pilot corpse and enjoy your new shield. :v:

I've seen similar done with Northstar's missile and a wall.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
But but I love my stim boost :(

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Be aware that stealing batteries off a Scorch near a wall is risky at any point. As a Scorch if you get rodeod simply stand with your back against the wall, look directly up and hold your flame shield. Steal your battery back from the charred pilot corpse and enjoy your new shield. :v:

I've seen similar done with Northstar's missile and a wall.

Stealing a battery off of any titan is always risky, and against a player that knows the trick I'm about to reveal it's practically certain death. This is probably only possible with a keyboard and mouse.

If performed correctly, you can always kill a player right as they finish rodeo-ing your titan. A sound plays as a player finishes stealing a battery, and it ends in a sort-of DING sound. Right after that ding, the player ALWAYS dismounts in the direction opposite that the titan is facing.

As soon as you hear the DING, do a 180 degree turn, and melee while you're in the middle of the turn. You will punch the player dismounting.

It takes a little practice to get the timing right, but once you get the hang of it you can reliably kill players stealing batteries from your titan as soon as they're done. I only figured this out after having it done to me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ aye, it takes some practice to do but is maximum hilarity when you pull it off.

My favourite rodeo kill however is still on Forward Base Kodai. On one side is all rock, the other side all the cable towers feed a satellite dish off in the distance and there's a section of map that juts out over a death drop. I was stomping my titan around there doomed state when the rodeo alert popped up onscreen so I quickly dashed over to the edge, turned to face away from the drop and just let him jump off to his doom. Even better was because he'd killed me I got to see him make a futile non-grapple attempt to stay alive via the kill cam. 100% worth the trade :v: if I still have the video I'll upload it.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

John DiFool posted:

Stealing a battery off of any titan is always risky, and against a player that knows the trick I'm about to reveal it's practically certain death. This is probably only possible with a keyboard and mouse.

If performed correctly, you can always kill a player right as they finish rodeo-ing your titan. A sound plays as a player finishes stealing a battery, and it ends in a sort-of DING sound. Right after that ding, the player ALWAYS dismounts in the direction opposite that the titan is facing.

As soon as you hear the DING, do a 180 degree turn, and melee while you're in the middle of the turn. You will punch the player dismounting.

It takes a little practice to get the timing right, but once you get the hang of it you can reliably kill players stealing batteries from your titan as soon as they're done. I only figured this out after having it done to me.

Yeah I used to be able to frequently spin 180 and punch in the direction but at some point they fine tuned the rodeo jump giving the pilot more control or something. Still dismounts in the opposite direction but I think the player is able to pull back further or something. Not quite sure what it is.

Anyways regardless you get to do fun stuff like this!

https://i.imgur.com/MACmRHR.gifv

Also had probably my best game earlier today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMNs_fsyrd8

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 28, 2020

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that's good advice and all but try to do it while 2 other titans and pilots are shooting at you.

It takes laser focus to pull it off

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Rodeoing is best done on titans with higher priorities than dealing with the pilot on them

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I miss TF1 rodeos with my spitfire... :blastu:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Emptying out a mag into to the top of a titan was one of my favorite things from tf1.

I wish there was a talent or spec or something that would let you do that instead of jacking a battery. Just massive fuckin damage instead.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I miss TF1 rodeos with my spitfire... :blastu:

I was thinking about this today too. And how tense it was in high level play where everyone ran Cluster Missile, so you'd need to cloak, jump on, bait the missile, jump off before you got trapped, *not* double jump so you didn't fire your jets, guess which way they'd dash to avoid getting crushed, then jump back on so you could then proceed to unload.

And then also fight the Pilot once they jumped out.

It was a lot of effort, but man. It felt good.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

John DiFool posted:

And as a player doing the rodeo, set your titan to fast drop instead of dropping behind a shield. While the rodeo animation is ending look straight at the enemy titan's feet and mash the summon titan key. If the enemy titan turns in place to punch you instead of moving your titan will land on him destroying him outright just before the punch animation hits you. You can score a titan kill way more than 50% of the time, around 75% at least on PS4.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

The amount of times I’ve laser cored an unguarded Warpfall Titan just doesn’t seem worth it to not have the dome shield equipped. Obviously the kit you want to use when trying to drop titans on other titans but it seems so situational as opposed to the dome shield. Even without a laser core the time it takes for someone to hop into a titan and regain control is enough to get medium chassis Titan down to half health or less.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Never ever use the fast drop, your titan will be half gone by the time you get into it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dome shields are very strong!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Field Mousepad posted:

Never ever use the fast drop, your titan will be half gone by the time you get into it.

Realest talk.

Was it TF1 or TF2 where you could change the AI voice in your titan? I remember it being TF2... but I can't find the option and I'm remembering having Spyglass from TF1 as my AI voice so it might have been 1.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TF1 let you chose the titan's voice.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

TF3 will sell you titan voice packs for $18 a pop

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sigher posted:

Realest talk.

Was it TF1 or TF2 where you could change the AI voice in your titan? I remember it being TF2... but I can't find the option and I'm remembering having Spyglass from TF1 as my AI voice so it might have been 1.

It was Titanfall 1. In TF2, there are different voices, but those voices are tied to the Prime models.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wheeee posted:

TF3 will sell you titan voice packs for $18 a pop

Probably true, but I'll buy every piece of DLC for a TF3 as long as it keeps getting support; I did for TF2. Some of it twice.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

TF1 voices were great. Jeeves was the best lad, always keeping the seat warm for me. :allears:

There was a cool Japanese one but I rarely used it because it became quite detrimental to my actual situational awareness as I had no idea what it was saying.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ronin has the best voice acting/lines and I will fight anyone

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Field Mousepad posted:

Ronin has the best voice acting/lines and I will fight anyone

"Pilot, we are outnumbered. Focus. Plan. Attack."

Legion is pretty good too: "Pilot, we are at a disadvantage. Recommendation: Sustained aggressive counterfire."

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I always liked Ronin's "Friendly titan down. A shame."

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Wazzit posted:

The amount of times I’ve laser cored an unguarded Warpfall Titan just doesn’t seem worth it to not have the dome shield equipped. Obviously the kit you want to use when trying to drop titans on other titans but it seems so situational as opposed to the dome shield. Even without a laser core the time it takes for someone to hop into a titan and regain control is enough to get medium chassis Titan down to half health or less.

I only ever run warpfall on Ronin with the nuke eject for when I’m playing like an absolute maniac.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Scorch.

SCORCH.

SCORCH SCORCH SCORCH SCORCH.

So much fun. Tone has the coolest looking legs tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Papa scorch bless :pray: