Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Edit: poo poo, I didn't expect to be at the top of the page.

Amazing.

Conan the Barbarian Aug. 20th- Aug. 26th, 1979

"Thanks, Ysabela."

I mentioned the... ambivalence towards civilization in Howard's Conan stories before. In Beyond the Black River, one of Howard's final Conan stories, he finally explicitly states the common theme running through the series:

"RE Howard, Beyond the Black River" posted:

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind," the borderer said, still staring somberly at the Cimmerian. "Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Edit: ^^:lol:

readingatwork posted:

Father Goose scares the poo poo out of me.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 29, 2020

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Roller Derby Popeye is something I didn't know I wanted but now I need it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix takes a look at season 12.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:trumppop:

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

holy poo poo

man, life before air conditioners sure was a trip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

EBB posted:

B̷̛͍̜̭̅R̵̻̜̾I̴̜͉͒͒̋̈́̓̈N̸͓̝̳͉̤͛͑̄̄G̴͚̼̹͊̊́́͝ ̸̢̤͚̆̉̔̀͆͘̚Ḿ̵̨̳̏͛̒͘Ḙ̸̖̯̳̲̬̬̈́̅̾͜ ̸͎̾́̈́͘͠B̸̰̓͐̈̈́͋́̋͝U̷̡͖̯͉̤̱͕͚̓̃̿͒̌̍̂̕͘ͅS̶̨̱̮̬̫͙͓̳̩̘̽͐̆͝͠T̷̥͓̳̮͉̠̐̂̈́͆͆̆̈́̓̈͛E̸̬͙͚̣͖̳̞̓̀̏͂̀Ŕ̵̝͍̬̱̻̟̯̈́͂̆͜ ̴̧̰͙̣͕̔̿͐̎͋̒̋͝Ḇ̴̺͎̲̦̳̅̊̍̃R̸̲͕̰̊͆̉͌O̸͖̠̗̺̔͌̂̋̀̏̈́͌̕͠W̴̙̻̩̎̆̈́͌͐́̂N̴̫̿̉

WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER???

(So, where were we? Oh, right...)

Alias: Buster Brown (April 26, 1908)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goatface posted:

The heads take up too much real estate. It really does make me think of children's books.

That and horror things with creatures that have one giant eye instead of a face.

Olive has done a few jokes about Rae's one big eye, actually. But that's a future thing.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

catlord posted:

I mentioned the... ambivalence towards civilization in Howard's Conan stories before. In Beyond the Black River, one of Howard's final Conan stories, he finally explicitly states the common theme running through the series:

In one of the Conan comic collections (I think it was the adaption by Dark Horse) they mentioned how Howard and Lovecraft would have these arguments in the letter section of Weird Tales regarding the merits of civilization vs barbarism (with Lovecraft taking the side of civilization).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nemo

A detail shot of that magnificent elephant while I set up some more pages...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zooks, there's one spiffing pachyderm

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Dustin is actually pretty insightful when it comes to the dynamics between Millennials/Zoomers and Boomers, which I think is the funniest thing about it. Kelly and/or Parker tell on themselves so much.
especially in the ways that dustin is heaped criticism upon for being lazy, yet ed is shown to be just as lazy.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"How Father Goose Got His Red Wings"

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

EasyEW posted:

9 "The Knot In The Dialogue Balloon Is Symbolic" Lane

I think this strip in particular kind highlights why I hate 9CL the most out of all the bad comics that get posted here. Brooke just thinks he's so loving deep.

Like, Rose is Rose is saccharine boomer catnip and Intelligent Life is "nerd humor" at its most tedious - they're both terrible comics, but at least the creators don't seem to think they're making some profound masterpiece.

On the other hand, you just know Brooke thinks his uncomfortably horny, terribly drawn comic is the height of wit and sensuality, and that level of delusion is just infuriating.

And also I hate looking at it and reading the words.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo

The Dinette Set is just a feeling it gets.

Working Daze get bent.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix goes too far.

Cul De Sac doesn't like change.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

sweetguts posted:

holy poo poo

man, life before air conditioners sure was a trip.

My grandpa definitely told me he'd sleep on the roof in Florida when the summer nights were too hot.

It was a flat roof, mind you.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

My grandpa definitely told me he'd sleep on the roof in Florida when the summer nights were too hot.

It was a flat roof, mind you.

Sleeping on the fire escape was a summertime thing in New York (and presumably other cities) back in the pre-AC days.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 8/31/41
This complete stranger showed up, claiming to be Brenda's cousin, and this guy whose whole job is making sure only people who are supposed to be there can go into the building just went "sure, sounds legit; let me open the door for you." :stare:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set has no filter.

Working Daze actually makes an actual office job joke!

Super-Fun-Pak Comix knows the more things change, the more the stay the same.

Cul De Sac thinks big.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Gunther: canonically worse than Anne Eiffel

Tiff's probably going to end up living in Luann's house.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 25, 2022

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Do you think even his mother would notice or care if Gunther just "disappeared?"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze actually makes an actual office job joke!

Julet Esqu posted:

Gunther: canonically worse than Anne Eiffel

Tiff's probably going to end up living in Luann's house.

Yeah, I thought the Anne Eiffel abuse was being played sincerely and thought all the chat about Luann normalizing that kind of behavior was a bit of a stretch. But uh, Tiff making such frivolous light of it here is suggesting to me that this was in fact the correct interpretation.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This was actually one of the harder ones to translate. I couldn't quite grasp the intent of maybe half the lines at first but I'm not sure anyone would know which ones those were if I didn't tell you.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 30, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I mean.....it ain't gotta be pretty but...yeah fold the towels if they go in the drawer. Just cramming them in there, isn't gonna work.
Though Gunther is still a prick for screeching it like that, in such a condescending manner.

Jesus, it's like the Pat/Nice Pete dynamic, if you smoothed all the edges off.

brb gonna shove Gunther in a locker for being Gunther

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Les holding up a fist in defiance of Gunther's nagging

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set is just a feeling it gets.

This brings back memories. During monsoon season growing up I used to go out back and watch the stormwall roll up the canyon. Life was pretty boring back before internet, but it was still cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JethroMcB posted:

Les holding up a fist in defiance of Gunther's nagging

YOU CAN'T JUST TALK! TODAY IS RAISING YOUR HAND DAY! THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS!

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Could be; I had never thought of that. I've always theorized that Dustin's clinically depressed because his family is so unsupportive.

I'm preaching to the choir, but Dustin's family is holding him back; not a "useless" degree and laziness.

If memory's not failing me there was a strip a few months back that addressed this theory: The sister asked Dustin if maybe he had depression, and she almost seemed genuinely concerned... and then when Dustin said that he didn't feel depressed, she dug in with "well you SHOULD"

So, to reiterate, Kelley and Parker can eat an entire bucket of poo poo

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunisland

Rhymes with Orange

Donald Trump School of Decorating 6/29/00

Yo Cousin So Fat 9/7/41

Brenda takes a wrong turn and ends up in a Gil Elvgren pinup scenario. Or one of Brooke McEldowney's wank fantasies.

The Stylish Stout.

Smokey Stover 4/12/36

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Zelda is not in the wrong there, but I am surprised this particular friend of hers would take that stance.

Like, that’s the same lady who got constantly harassed at the gym for being a woman, while very obviously aware of that fact. It seems weird for her to not see Zelda’s point immediately.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BigglesSWE posted:

Zelda is not in the wrong there, but I am surprised this particular friend of hers would take that stance.

Like, that’s the same lady who got constantly harassed at the gym for being a woman, while very obviously aware of that fact. It seems weird for her to not see Zelda’s point immediately.

It's very human and realistic, is it not?

Real people work like that, our internal logic is absolutely inconsistent and full of holes we don't even know about ourselves. In this case this was a friend of hers I assume, so it overrode her usual judgement.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Remember Crystal? The Evanses don't.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 1/4/54

They'll Do It Every Time 1/3/47

Mopsy 1/14/43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Selachian posted:

Brenda takes a wrong turn and ends up in a Gil Elvgren pinup scenario. Or one of Brooke McEldowney's wank fantasies.

Art Frahm. So very very Art Frahm.