Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I like British cheddar but it's too crumbly sometimes (I mean, the market ones), toasted sourdough and brie is p. tasty. Borough market had really nice cheese stands that sold French and Italian cheeses but they were expensive as gently caress.

Gonna toast some sourdough slices and get me cheese on now.

Can't find a fresh catpic, here is an old one I have found on twitter/imgur/idk?:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I had a cheese toastie for lunch today. A fancy one I mean, I think it was 4 cheeses but I didn't ask, I just saw all the cheese and demanded it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Galewolf posted:

I like British cheddar but it's too crumbly sometimes

I mean, to be fair, that is literally what cheddaring is supposed to do to it, it's why it's cheddar and not something else :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

I've heard people call them say them with the J like in juice here too

I mean I've heard Americans talk about 'djalapeeeenoes' too, granted I did used to live in the Midwest.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I mean, to be fair, that is literally what cheddaring is supposed to do to it, it's why it's cheddar and not something else :shobon:

Some mild/light cheddars are still easy to eat without having cheese crumbs all over the place but yeah any mature cheddar will crumble like a motherfucker, which is, as you say, the nature of it. I like grating a block of mature to use it in the mash, gives really nice salty/tangy touch.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby Deluxe posted:

why the gently caress did i eat all of that cheese i am in so much pain

Can't help you, I don't know why anyone eats any cheese.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

wtf

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Sunswipe posted:

mods

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

state of this

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

post your favorite cheeses itt

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i poo poo myself inside out and feel a bit better

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Thirteenth Step posted:

Turkish tulum cheese (tl;dr cheese made by filling a goats hide "tulum" with curds and waiting it to be fermented), fresh mozzarella, mild/mature cheddar and Edam for toasties or sammiches.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hemale in pain posted:

is that what the generic chinese curry sauce is from?

I believe that takeaway curry sauce is essentially the same thing as the curry sauce base they have in Japan, which is bizarrely all down to the Royal Navy:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/japanese-curry-history

Galewolf posted:

Tortilla was good for a chain restaurant (citation needed) and reliable to have a burrito. The tacos were okay, too.

Tortilla is a 101% exact clone of Chipotle, which has made it to the UK, but only has about 3 branches that I’ve ever seen.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Went to barburrito a couple of times when I lived by Manchester and it was thoroughly miserable both times but I don't remember exactly why.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
In one of my d&d campaigns from long ago there was this npc halfling with tourette's except instead of swearing he would uncontrollably blurt out names of cheeses

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

wooger posted:

I believe that takeaway curry sauce is essentially the same thing as the curry sauce base they have in Japan, which is bizarrely all down to the Royal Navy:
hmm, this is interesting because the first time i tried good katsu i thought that takeaway curry tasted like a poo poo imitation of it

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Went to barburrito a couple of times when I lived by Manchester and it was thoroughly miserable both times but I don't remember exactly why.

Pancho’s in the Arndale is the only remotely acceptable Mexican food I’ve had in the UK, and I was looking for a good while before fully giving up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the oxford mission burrito wasnt bad a few years ago because they had international students working in the kitchen who kept going off book

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Stilton

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Stilton on a burger and Camembert to dip crusty bread and meats in imo

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It's a tie between Castello Danish Blue and Point Reyes Original Blue.

Seriously, the Point Reyes is an American blue cheese made with unpasteurised milk and it is loving incredible.

edit: Also - Yorkshire Dales Extra Mature Yorkshire Cheddar.

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 29, 2020

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

All cheese is valid

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well, blue cheese isn't

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Blue cheese is good. The mould grants 'rona immunity.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Neurophonic posted:

Pancho’s in the Arndale is the only remotely acceptable Mexican food I’ve had in the UK, and I was looking for a good while before fully giving up.

El Cartel here in Edinburgh is the closest I've found to a real Mexican place. Its tiny, super small menu - their lengua taco is nice.

They've opened a second, bigger location last year though, so I'm sure it'll go to poo poo soon.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goldenninjawarrior posted:

It's basically a knockoff of Chipotle iirc, which is fine in and of itself but is nothing like an actual hole in the wall non-chain Mexican restaurant in the US. It's like going to McDonalds when you want a steak.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

Roquefort :getin: Papillon for preference. Yes I am hipster enough to have a preferred Roquefort producer.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Baron Bigod is top tier cheese. It's not easy to find but somehow the local Budgens had a couple of huge wheels on sale last year.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

We have a mysterious French cheese van that all French people i know rave about but I've never been able to find at any of it's rumoured locations.

Until late last year! We stumbled across it at Stockbridge Market, and can confirm - it's a van with a very French guy who imports his own cheese, and its amazing :france:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

DaWolfey posted:

edit: Also - Yorkshire Dales Extra Mature Yorkshire Cheddar.

From Yorkshire (made in Yorkshire)

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Tome fraîche is the best cheese and if I could get it outside of holidays I wouldn't eat a meal without it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is doing someone else's food properly cultural appropriation?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Pecorino and Taleggio are my favourites. I brought back a pile of Taleggio in my suitcase from a trip to Italy once, and had to throw out the T-shirt it was wrapped in.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Halloumi

When I was in the US it was hellishly hard to get halloumi. We used to drive miles to this tiny little middle eastern shop but then they shut and for a while it was only a seasonal trader joes product and also not really halloumi

loving love walking into a british supermarket and seeing 3 different brands of it.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

fridge corn posted:

In one of my d&d campaigns from long ago there was this npc halfling with tourette's except instead of swearing he would uncontrollably blurt out names of cheeses

This sounds EPIC FTW

I think my favourite cheese to have by itself is manchego but it's hard to use in a meal, so probably parmesan would be my pick

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

StyleFresh posted:

Thanks y'alls, RIP old el paso. We tried Las Iguanas when we first got here but it didn't hit the spot. There's another latin-themed restaurant in town but their burritos were plain. We'll try the canned tomatillo/peppers thing on Amazon because I've been craving chile verde! Lupe's Cantina in Leeds looks like a classic Mexican spot so might drive down to give it a shot sometime. Haven't tried Wahaca in London yet but next time I'm down that way I'll check it out!!

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1107227433223237632?s=20

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Port Salut.

No further questions.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Aw poo poo now I want some port salut.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a Wahaca in Manchester too, if you're ever over that way.

I used to buy in cheese for a kitchen, can't remember any of them now. But I am definitely going to buy a shitload of cheese when I go shopping next, because it's been way too long since I made a nice cheese plate and gorged myself into a coma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Cheese is one of the few subjects I have to be careful with around my students because the French ones particularly see British Cheese as a very funny two word joke, mainly because the only British cheeses generally available here are dogshit bright orange American style cheddars and also the French absolutely huff their own farts due to decades of the rest of the world fawning over their cuisine. I have been visibly irritated while having to defend our cheese producing credentials, which I would argue are at least as good if not better than anywhere else in the world.

There's many things wrong with the UK but the fact you can go into any medium sized supermarket and get a respectable selection of British and also European cheeses is a very good thing. Funny how we can be so racist yet also extremely receptive to adopting foreign tastes and flavours

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 30, 2020