Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Lol the characters in this game don't just have "basic dental hygiene", they all have movie-star perfect smiles with straight, white teeth. There isn't a gap tooth to be found in this game. Keep stretching like this and you guys might pull something!

We couldn't sweatshop the labourforce any further. Distinctly modeled teeth was the last straw. 0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is ridiculous, and you know it! Humans don't need ridiculous plastic toothbrushes, Aquafresh, and regular checkups to have clean teeth. Hell, many cultures still chew loving antibacterial twigs to clean their teeth. It isn't that hard to imagine humans finding natural solutions that don't involve mail-order sonicare refills.

Lucky as hell no one in the apocalypse needed bracers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lucky as hell no one in the apocalypse needed bracers.

Now braces, THAT'S a convention.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Like it’s fine to take liberties with your protagonist because they need to be marketable and plastered all over your promotional material. It’s also fine to take a lot of liberties with the aesthetics of the world you want to present. TLOU2 does a good job of selling you on the idea that the world ended but the communities that survived managed to build something out of it.

If anything it’s almost too idealized. Sure you can theoretically have electricity decades from now but poo poo light bulbs would be a finite (and precious) resource. Same with computer / personal devices. They could still be working but their internal batteries would be so dead by now they’d barely hold a charge. Quality of living would not be terrible but it’d still be pretty far from the way things are now.

Basically I was with the story until the Vita.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Every named human character in this game, male or female, is hot, except for Seth the bigot

This is because no goons survived the first wave

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This popped up in my related videos - Nolan North playing through TLOU along with Troy Baker and other actors from the game with lots of commentary.

Oh, I had no idea Nolan was David in the first one.
loving chameleon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsINAKreB0

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 29, 2020

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Every named human character in this game, male or female, is hot, except for Seth the bigot

Features aside, there wouldn't be a bunch of farasses running around

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

mcbexx posted:

This popped up in my related videos - Nolan North playing through TLOU along with Troy Baker and other actors from the game with lots of commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsINAKreB0

Yeah it's a good video series. They did Uncharted 1 and 2 as well and Nolan is currently playing 3. Nolan and Troy had some kind of falling out at some point and Troy is no longer on the show. It is kinda weird, Troy plays through the game mostly himself and then dumps the game on Nolan to control on a difficult late game section while giving him bad advice about how to play (keeping in mind Nolan is the less experienced of the two of them at games)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never understood the desire for more ugly people in media. People in this game, to me, just seem normal looking. If these people are movie star hot, then I guess I should move to Hollywood.

There are plenty of games where everyone is ridiculously hot but I just don't think this is one of them.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Oh yeah the people in this game feel more like actual humans than almost every other video game, but I still rate all their bone structure

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What does “attractive” really mean

Hmmmm

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Older Maria is hot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

Older Maria is hot

Most definitely

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think a lot of people in this game are unconventionally attractive, but I guess that's just my weird photography background talking because I like looking at faces. I think the animators also put considerable effort into making the models look visually distinct from their mocap/voice-actors, given the conditions of the world they're supposed to inhabit.

Saying Ellie is conventionally attractive is in some way just saying Ashley Johnson is conventionally attractive, which may or may not be true but it kind of diminishes a lot of the work the artists did to give the characters in the TLOU games a painterly almost rubenesque look that helps mitigate the uncanny valley response. Also, the woman who was used as facial inspiration for Dina (Cascina Caradonna) is very unconventional looking to me, though her voice actress Shannon Woodward looks a bit more like how I'd imagine western culture defines conventional.

This is all to say I think ND actually did make the effort here to cast/model all sorts, and that in order for someone to be labeled conventionally attractive you first have to define what the particular cultural convention is. But anyways

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

LMAO

mcbexx posted:

Oh, I had no idea Nolan was David in the first one.
loving chameleon.

I literally yelled :tviv: when I saw his name pop up in the credits in 2013, because that was basically the exact moment in gamer-dom where everyone was saying they were sick of hearing him in everything.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This is all to say I think ND actually did make the effort here to cast/model all sorts, and that in order for someone to be labeled conventionally attractive you first have to define what the particular cultural convention is. But anyways

I defined a pretty clear convention the game adheres to universally re: teeth and was told that everyone looks like they could be in a Crest commercial because they have TVs and I guess can tie hog hair to sticks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I defined a pretty clear convention the game adheres to universally re: teeth and was told that everyone looks like they could be in a Crest commercial because they have TVs and I guess can tie hog hair to sticks.

How you doin today, friend?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess to be fair the characters aren't eating too much sugary foods and drinking soda (30 year old vending machines aside).

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

"I let you live, and you WASTED it" is one of the all time great line reads.

The fact that the actors don't look like the characters is great, the combination of animation, modelling and performance brings to life a character in a way that's incredible. Obviously all MoCap work is this but ND does it on a level unlike anyone else in games or film imo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What the gently caress the game ended like an hour ago but its still going. gently caress it I'm going to bed.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

stev posted:

What the gently caress the game ended like an hour ago but its still going. gently caress it I'm going to bed.

If you're where I think you are Santa Barbara you probably have about an hour and no more than 2 hours left but if you gotta sleep you gotta sleep.

The takes of this game that "I don't need a game to tell me violence/revenge is bad" is so lazy because Ellie is motivated not just by revenge but by self-loathing and disassociation. The conversation at the end brings this home "I was meant to die". She owed Joel her life in the most horrible of circumstances where her very existence is antithetical to the hope for a better future.

Then she owes her life to Abby! Twice! In the sense that Abby makes an active choice to let her live. Again her not dying brings horror and wrath upon the people around her. Ellie is caught in a belief that she is living a half-life to the point that vengeance is the only way she can have some sort of purpose of closure.

Ellie letting Abby live is such a great ending because it brings that full circle. Abby actually owes her life to Ellie because she probably would have died on that pole otherwise.

It's funny that Dunkey made the best point about this game, and something that fans of a lot of franchise media understand, that you have to open your mind to what is being shown. Of course the onus is on a storyteller to make something compelling but the audience does have to do some of the work to get everything out of a provocative story. This game is way more thematically rich than most video games. What video game has inspired this level of discussion about the story? Maybe MGS?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Yeah weird decision to put a fake out ending where Abby and Lev leave Dina and Ellie alive and each group goes on to live their lives, only to keep going to the real ending where Ellie leaves Abby alive and each group goes on to live their lives. Nothing changed, aside from the amount of fingers Ellie has left. And she hosed up her relationship with Dina.

They could have stopped at the farm house and left Abby and Lev for a sequel or DLC or something. Abby should get her own game.

I actually really liked the game, but the ending kinda fell flat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got a question for you: what do you think your opinion of the game would've been if they showed Ellie setting out for Seattle but immediately afterwards had made you play 3 days of Abby until the theater, then made you play 3 days of Ellie? Do you think that would read weird due to the point they are trying to make?

I've thought about it a bit and, ultimately yeah I don't think it would have worked or at the very least it would have changed the entire tone of the game so much it would feel like a different game. On one hand I think that swapping Ellie and Abby's stories might have been more interesting from a gameplay perspective. like, the game just MGS2's you out of the gate and then it's a pleasant surprise that you do in fact play most of the game as Ellie once you hit that point. But then the entire revenge story doesn't work and Ellie's end of it would have probably felt pointless.

I think it could have worked but not with the way the story was written.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah people saying that aspect of the game would have been better if that was flipped around are off base. The game is making a conscious choice to have you hate a character before engendering empathy for them, it's interesting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I will say after everything is said and done, the structure of the game is very ballsy and unorthodox. ND definitely didn't play it safe here and I gotta respect that.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

It's pretty funny, in the Spoilercast with Greg Miller he asks Druckmann whether Sony ever balked at any choices in the game and he says literally the only concern they got was someone saying "do the girls have to smoke weed?"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's pretty funny, in the Spoilercast with Greg Miller he asks Druckmann whether Sony ever balked at any choices in the game and he says literally the only concern they got was someone saying "do the girls have to smoke weed?"

LMAO

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

veni veni veni posted:

I've thought about it a bit and, ultimately yeah I don't think it would have worked or at the very least it would have changed the entire tone of the game so much it would feel like a different game. On one hand I think that swapping Ellie and Abby's stories might have been more interesting from a gameplay perspective. like, the game just MGS2's you out of the gate and then it's a pleasant surprise that you do in fact play most of the game as Ellie once you hit that point. But then the entire revenge story doesn't work and Ellie's end of it would have probably felt pointless.

I think it could have worked but not with the way the story was written.

The way they did it brings out a lot of dread as you march to the inevitable outcome of the characters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a ballsy story. There isn't a whole lot I'd change about it tbh.

I think the lead-up to Ellie going back out to find Abbie again in the prologue could have been handled better, but that is about all I'd change

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It will never be as clean, unimpeachable, or origami-like as the original game's structure, but 2LOU angles for a feeling that's quite a bit more complex and even more ambiguous than the first game's story, which is impressive because TLOU's entire reputation was built on a long, methodical lead-up to an ambiguous conclusion that people got to ponder for most of a decade. I honestly hope we don't see another addition to the story besides maybe a Left Behind chapter and multiplayer. Just sever the fingers, Naughty Dog, force our separation from this excellent series before things get too formulaic.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

JBP posted:

What are the regressive mistakes this game makes?

Short list:

• I think that it's obvious that Abby is the character that they player is supposed to empathize with the most. Problem is she's a war criminal. Abby shows no qualms about being a happy and productive member of an apartheid state, using hidden explosives to kill civilians, or unquestioningly taking orders from a torturer.
  • Abby is only forced to come to terms with her engagement in these activities in the lightest possible method. She is never directly confronted by Lev or Owen. She never has to actually confront Isaac. The light bit of introspection she does with regards to this only comes because she personally meets and interacts with a Seraphite, and she only does that because she wants to steal Owen from Mel. Naughty Dog is taking all these efforts to justify how Abby isn't some monstrous psycho who was just killing Joel for fun, but she kills lots of people for fun everyday.
  • On that topic, the game justifies Abby by showing us scenes of her dad and what a good guy he was. Except that he still was prepared to murder an unconscious teenager. Ellie never consented to be killed to make a cure, so the whole zoo flashback fell completely flat. Why do I care that he is going to free a zebra when he is prepared to murder a child? In the flashback Abby says that she would want to sacrifice herself, but that isn't Abby's decision to make. This is important because it cuts the legs from under how the game wants to justify Abby- her father wasn't murdered by Joel. Joel was literally defending an unconscious child from death.
  • Despite being a story about two women who are bent on destroying each other, almost all of the complication and plot is still driven forward by men. Part of this is the game's obsession with motherhood and crafting parallels with Abby and Ellie.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It’s funny but I didn’t realize until just now that the zebra probably came from the exact same place as the giraffe in the first game. Those two moments happen within probably 20-30 minutes of each other in real time.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think there are some interesting comments to be made about class identity and how Jackson contrasts against the stadium, but those are kind of predicated on accepting that there is a discrepancy in how the protagonists are favored by the audience/Naughty Dog.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I haven't seen brought up, although I'm sure I just missed it since the last week has mostly been me avoiding all black text.

So many people have stated that the ending was pointless because Ellie didn't even kill Abby, and all she ended up with was 2 less fingers and a newly single lifestyle...but, she actually freed a bunch of slaves and saved Abby/Lev's lives, albeit in the sloppiest way imaginable. She also came to terms with Joel's death. Even though it was basically the opposite of what she set out to do. It all ended as an optimistic moment in a very dire situation. Abby and Lev were literally set free by the person who came to kill them. How is that a nothing ending? it was a pretty cool way to end the game imo.

I like it so much more than if Ellie had just killed Abby and then realized it didn't make her feel better, which would have been the obvious ending. Or if Abby killed Ellie and we all collectively went "woah ND that was some Game of thrones poo poo, drat" or if they just bled out on the beach together which I was half expecting. The real ending was better than all of those.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a new study bible! posted:

Short list:

• I think that it's obvious that Abby is the character that they player is supposed to empathize with the most. Problem is she's a war criminal. Abby shows no qualms about being a happy and productive member of an apartheid state, using hidden explosives to kill civilians, or unquestioningly taking orders from a torturer.
  • Abby is only forced to come to terms with her engagement in these activities in the lightest possible method. She is never directly confronted by Lev or Owen. She never has to actually confront Isaac. The light bit of introspection she does with regards to this only comes because she personally meets and interacts with a Seraphite, and she only does that because she wants to steal Owen from Mel. Naughty Dog is taking all these efforts to justify how Abby isn't some monstrous psycho who was just killing Joel for fun, but she kills lots of people for fun everyday.
  • On that topic, the game justifies Abby by showing us scenes of her dad and what a good guy he was. Except that he still was prepared to murder an unconscious teenager. Ellie never consented to be killed to make a cure, so the whole zoo flashback fell completely flat. Why do I care that he is going to free a zebra when he is prepared to murder a child? In the flashback Abby says that she would want to sacrifice herself, but that isn't Abby's decision to make. This is important because it cuts the legs from under how the game wants to justify Abby- her father wasn't murdered by Joel. Joel was literally defending an unconscious child from death.
  • Despite being a story about two women who are bent on destroying each other, almost all of the complication and plot is still driven forward by men. Part of this is the game's obsession with motherhood and crafting parallels with Abby and Ellie.

both ellie and abby are both super broken people in a hell world. none of them are really good people and are flawed as gently caress and dont act rationally. i dont think that makes it a chud game though.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Dapper_Swindler posted:

both ellie and abby are both super broken people in a hell world. none of them are really good people and are flawed as gently caress and dont act rationally. i dont think that makes it a chud game though.

I don't think it's a chud game at all! Sorry to give that impression. I was really responding to the uninformed chud comments that call this game SJW propaganda. It's pretty neoliberal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Short list:

I think you are missing the forest for the trees here by expecting a character to be wholly good in a series that entirely revolves extremely flawed characters. Much like Ellie and Joel, Abby has done some poo poo, and you can still empathize with her and want her to get got for the things she has done at the same time. Which I think is pretty much the point of her whole character. Not "see the bad guys aren't actually bad". The point is that it's complicated

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 30, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I don't think it's a chud game at all! Sorry to give that impression. I was really responding to the uninformed chud comments that call this game SJW propaganda. It's pretty neoliberal.

its generic liberal poo poo. why care about what the chuds thing. they legit believe the stupids poo poo they see repeated on image boards by trolls who themselves believe the dumb poo poo. i never went into the game thinking it would be some super far left thing.

veni veni veni posted:

I think you are missing the forest for the trees here by expecting a character to be wholly good in a series that entirely revolves extremely flawed characters. Much like Ellie and Joel, Abby has done some poo poo, and you can still empathize with her and want her to get got for the things she has done at the same time. Which I think is pretty much the point of her whole character. Not "see the bad guys aren't actually bad". The point is that it's complicated

that too.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

veni veni veni posted:

I think you are missing the forest for the trees here by expecting a character to be wholly good in a series that entirely revolves extremely flawed characters.

Because of how the game is structured and written Naughty Dog is asking the audience to make a comparison between our two central characters. I think it matters when one is clearly preferred to the other, especially considering the backstories of these two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The point is that they are literally both sides-ing a conflict that has a clear moral and immoral position.