Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Monday_ posted:

Is all this poo poo you guys are talking about going on game pass, or will I have to pay full price?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS doesn’t plan to charge us anything more, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

So I'm thinking I'll buy an Xbox Series X at launch, but since I'm a cheapo, I'm not going to buy any games. I have Xbox Gold and Xbox Game Pass after all.

Any thoughts what Xbox Game Pass will have for Series X? New Halo and upgraded Gears 5 sounds for sure. Hellblade 2, but a little after launch. Anything else?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

The Grey posted:

So I'm thinking I'll buy an Xbox Series X at launch, but since I'm a cheapo, I'm not going to buy any games. I have Xbox Gold and Xbox Game Pass after all.

Any thoughts what Xbox Game Pass will have for Series X? New Halo and upgraded Gears 5 sounds for sure. Hellblade 2, but a little after launch. Anything else?

Didn't Microsoft say that all first party studio games will be available on Game Pass day 1? I'd say there will be plenty to keep you busy if you decide to go with just the console on launch.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
are they ever going to add the last forza to game pass

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hellblade 2 is an unreal engine 5 game. Dont expect it until late next year or 2022 if covid slows ue5 down

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Celexi posted:

are they ever going to add the last forza to game pass

Forza motorsport 7? With how long it's been very likely not. All forza games going forward will probably be on gamepass though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Grey posted:

Whatever else launches in that window first party would be there too, which I think Psychonauts is the most likely. Also coming sometime soon probably would be another Forza and a Battletoads game I will pre-emptively call bad. Further out Senua 2, Fable, Perfect Dark(?).

Any other series x upgrade versions for first party stuff as you noted, and grounded seems likely to get one of those too along with Sea of Thieves. Hopefully Ori gets a patch because it chugs on the X occasionally.

I doubt youll get much series X 3rd party stuff for a few months after launch but you may well get Series X enhances of Bone titles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The best next gen console is a pc

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The best next gen console is a pc

Unironically true in the Xbox’s case since all their games will also come to PC.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wait is psychonauts 2 a confirmed next gen title or am I dramatically misinterpreting that post

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its tba 2020 still.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Wait is psychonauts 2 a confirmed next gen title or am I dramatically misinterpreting that post

Its a 2020 tba title so Im expecting it to have faster loading, crude raytracing and run at an inexplicable locked 37 frames a second.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

univbee posted:

Unironically true in the Xbox’s case since all their games will also come to PC.
Yeah I've done just fine this gen with a PC/GamePass and a PS4

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1277629328071811074

Only one anecdote, and I've never actually heard of this particular game, but that's neat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats why probably. Gamepass puts the game in front of people vs not at all. Interested to know what it does for say a capcom game that has marketing of its own

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats why probably. Gamepass puts the game in front of people vs not at all. Interested to know what it does for say a capcom game that has marketing of its own

Yeah I've heard that even getting a game mentioned on something like the Playstation blog helps sales a lot. (for indies mostly)

And gamepass means people play the game and have word of mouth and that generates more sales.

The biggest problem seems to be marketing as there's tons of games to play, hell look at all the new ones that come out every week. I bet it's an average of 20+ even on 'slightly curated' and I use that loosely, platforms like xbox/ps4/switch.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got a game pass deal, and beat crackdown 3 on it. There's quite a few other games I wanna play too. Worth the cash, hope it sticks around.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Rocket League wouldn't have got the massive spike it did if it didn't initially come out as a free PSPlus game

Word of mouth is a massive seller

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

uvar posted:

https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1277629328071811074

Only one anecdote, and I've never actually heard of this particular game, but that's neat.

I’ve played maybe two hours of this game thanks to gamepass quests. It’s ok, but I would never have played it otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Descenders isnt the first or only dev to say this, several devs have mentioned it boosting their sales. As a small dev, it seems kind of a no brainer to take the upfront dosh to be on the service and possibly enjoy boosted sales.

For big devs Im not sure anything other than the cash infusion matters, but it would be interesting to see like Monster Hunter World 2 launch on gamepass day 1.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Got a game pass deal, and beat crackdown 3 on it. There's quite a few other games I wanna play too. Worth the cash, hope it sticks around.

There's like 10 million subscribers, it will be here for a while.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Real hurthling! posted:

Hellblade 2 is an unreal engine 5 game. Dont expect it until late next year or 2022 if covid slows ue5 down

Should be fine, I mean there's no bad history or anything with xbox exclusives sitting in development hell for long periods of time, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It'll probably be fine. How hard is it to make those hidden shape puzzles?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

It'll probably be fine. How hard is it to make those hidden shape puzzles?

They are gonna use 12 flops of power for the next stage in Magic Eye technology

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

graventy posted:

I’ve played maybe two hours of this game thanks to gamepass quests. It’s ok, but I would never have played it otherwise.

same. my son and i hosed around with it one arvo, and without gamepass never would have. but i also wont be buying it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
:911: at gamepass saving independent gaming

thank you Microsoft

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

If it was not for Game Pass I would never have played Journey to the Savage Planet, which I absolutely adored.

Then again, this goes for many many other games as well. I don't think I have ever been as satisfied with a service as this one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

If it was not for Game Pass I would never have played Journey to the Savage Planet, which I absolutely adored.

Then again, this goes for many many other games as well. I don't think I have ever been as satisfied with a service as this one.

Journey to the Savage planet is one of my favorite games so far this year, it just hit the right notes for my brain and same.

Bought the extremely overpriced DLC too.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I probably wouldn't have bought/tried Lonely Mountains Downhill but have played it a bunch and recommended it to friends because it's on PC Gamepass. If you just look at screenshots it seems like an artsy fartsy mood piece about biking down a mountain. It's actually something more like a trials but while trails is more about moment to moment difficulty spikes, Lonely is more about working on perfecting your overall speed and control from checkpoint to checkpoint. The biggest compliment I can give to Lonely Mountains is that the feel of controlling the bike matched with the sounds adds up in a really satisfying way. It just feels good to play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soul Caliber VI up on gamepass, which is great because it reminds you how awful it is to play fighting games with load times before next gen hits

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fallout 76 is being added to PC Game Pass

It also got added to Steam not that long ago

These are things that Bethesda should have done about a year ago, along with going FTP

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they wanted to trick people into buying the game when their npc patch hit a few months ago

Barudak posted:

Soul Caliber VI up on gamepass, which is great because it reminds you how awful it is to play fighting games with load times before next gen hits

yep

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Barudak posted:

I really love gamepass for these games. I've waffled on buying SC6 multiple times and if I ever saw it for $5 I'd probably just do it. Now I can buy it, put a few hours into it, and remember why I don't stick with fighting games for a long time and move on.

I also played crackdown 3 via gamepass and man I was bored in less than two hours. Now I never have to think about that game again. Gamepass is worth it if you can find deals on it regularly making it half off, so $90 a year is a good deal considering that $50-60 dollars is for playing online already (feels like xbl gold deals have gotten worse because now it's about GPU). If you play at least two full priced games on it a year and save yourself buying those games, it's well worth it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I somehow wrangled like 4-5 months from the 1 dollar convert-your-xbl thing and I'm still unsure if I'll continue it after it ends. I'll probably check here for some deep discount and then say nah.

Was nice to play Stellaris and Forza and Red Dead Online without needing to buy another copy though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
MK11 has ruined me for QOL on fighting games. The only thing I could possibly ask from it is better per-character training programs but whatever that's what youtube is for.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I somehow wrangled like 4-5 months from the 1 dollar convert-your-xbl thing and I'm still unsure if I'll continue it after it ends. I'll probably check here for some deep discount and then say nah.

Was nice to play Stellaris and Forza and Red Dead Online without needing to buy another copy though.

My 4 month PC GamePass trial is coming to an end and it turns out, 2 hours of Dishonored 2 was about all I did with it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You guys should play more video games. There's a lot of good ones out there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What I don't get is why they're ok with lowering the standard for offerings to some beta-level-indies and old rear end 360 games but don't go all out and just license like a million of those two kinds of games and become a true Netflix of games.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There are a lot of good games

There's not a lot on gamepass

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I would probably give games a lot more chances to get through their bad stretches or slow starts if I wasn't literally 3 button presses away from Skate 3 at all times. That's a powerful temptation to tell a game to take a hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
PC

No Man's Sky
Age of Empires II
Alan Wake
Ape Out
Bloodstained: ROTN
Broforce