Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

organburner posted:

It's an amazing example of a polished turd.
It looks alright. Everything works, there's no jank or anything like that.

Then actually playing it just... sucks.

I can’t even tell you how it sucks. On paper it should be just as fun as the others but then you play it and ... it’s not. It’s super boring but I don’t know what difference is there that makes it super dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can’t even tell you how it sucks. On paper it should be just as fun as the others but then you play it and ... it’s not. It’s super boring but I don’t know what difference is there that makes it super dull.

First there's absolutely no sense of speed in the game, making it feel like a sim but at the same time the default controls make it feel like you just can't loving steer yourself.

Turning up the steering sensitivity and removing some of the driver assists makes the game feel less like "my first racing game in unity!" but it still doesn't feel good. I think they tried to go too much in the sim direction and not enough in the arcadey direction if that makes sense. I suspect they then hosed up the default controls because of this, or they had some weird controllers they made it for.

One other issue is that, to me, all cars feel the same.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia may outlive SA - just sayin

Stadia, backed by one of the largest multinational corporations in the world. MAY outlive SA.

SA funded by reregs and avatar wars, will probably outlive Stadia.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Must have been real fucky for a Google employee to see management posting "moving forward" in any context.
I mean, that's a hyperlink right there, you can click it!

I'm told it's good and normal to take 6months to add links to a Google page.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

West of Loathing is one of the free games for Stadia this month.

A fine product from the upstanding developers of Kingdom of Loathing who definitely are not abusers.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Aw loving hell and I was just about to say it's a good funny game, that doesn't take any advantage of being on Stadia (it's around 200 megabytes).
That last part is true still, but drat I didn't know that poo poo about Jick and have both played and recommended those games for quite a while now.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ahh this thread is back. All I have seen about Stadia in the last few weeks is some heavy advertising on Twitch. Which I gotta wonder how effective that is since every chat just uses the commercials to mock the product.

They aren't very good commercials either. Mostly shilling Fortnite on Stadia.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Drunk Theory posted:

Ahh this thread is back. All I have seen about Stadia in the last few weeks is some heavy advertising on Twitch. Which I gotta wonder how effective that is since every chat just uses the commercials to mock the product.

They aren't very good commercials either. Mostly shilling Fortnite on Stadia.
I get a lot of Stadia ads on Duolingo.

Fortnite isn't on Stadia, are you confusing it with PUBG?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finally, our long national nightmare is over.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1278007354114670597?s=20

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's the sort of thing that shows how little planning went into this service.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
So if i have old hardware can i buy cyberpunk 2077 on steam, play it on geforce servico and it would run better than on my local hardware? big if true

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's not reasonable to expect Google to support Android, an OS they have no relationship with, at launch. Very impressive they got it done in under a year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

So if i have old hardware can i buy cyberpunk 2077 on steam, play it on geforce servico and it would run better than on my local hardware? big if true

Yes.

You do have to pay 4.99 a month though but it gives you access to (some?) of your other things.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

Yes. Apparently it must be on Steam, though, I'm not sure this will be possible with a GOG copy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

univbee posted:

Yes. Apparently it must be on Steam, though, I'm not sure this will be possible with a GOG copy.

It might be?

You can play Fortnite and Guild Wars 2 through GFN.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Gobbeldygook posted:

I get a lot of Stadia ads on Duolingo.

Fortnite isn't on Stadia, are you confusing it with PUBG?

Yes, right it's PUBG. Shows how much I look at those are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

No Wave posted:

It's not reasonable to expect Google to support Android, an OS they have no relationship with, at launch. Very impressive they got it done in under a year.

Only the brightest and the best.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Green Man Gaming sent out a survey for opinions on game streaming and subscription services. Looks like they're considering getting into that.

quote:

Scenario 1 - the monthly subscription.

Player 1 enjoys a lot of different games, owns a couple of consoles as well as a slightly older PC (not quite a potato) and last year's iPhone. The game streaming service they use gives the option of playing one of over 100 games on any of these devices any time their internet connection is solid.

It's kinda cool to be able to play PC games on their smartphone.

New games are added every month and although not every release makes it into the service quite a few triple A games turn up.

quote:

Scenario 2 - the short trial.

Player 2 wants to ensure a game lives up to the hype before buying it. By paying a small fee they are able to play up to 6 hours of a new game. If the player then decides they like the game, that fee goes toward the purchase of the game. If the game isn't for them, they're only out a few dollars.

quote:

Scenario 3 - game player.

Player 3 enjoys completing games above all else. The gaming service they use allows them to play a single game for up to 20 hours within a 3 month period, using any of their devices.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ErrEff posted:

Green Man Gaming sent out a survey for opinions on game streaming and subscription services. Looks like they're considering getting into that.

quote:

It's kinda cool to be able to play PC games on their smartphone.

well I guess there are *some* PC game that you could play on a smartphone without a magnifier...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ErrEff posted:

All of these are poo poo, GMG.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

univbee posted:

Pretty sure the EGS version will run on GFN as well.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Seems like all 3 scenarios are a pile of doo-doo, vastly superseded by existing options.
Literally this week have I bought two games at 75% off. Tried both, returned one.

Oh, and the one I like I get to play for *checks notes* as many hours as I god-drat choose. Let's look at the data use.
None!?

What manner of efficiency allows this?
*whispering in ear*
I can store the entire game code locally?
*more whispering in ear*
And local storage is less than $0.15 a GB?
Why are so many people using stadia then?

Oh, I see.
0.5% of the general population and 0.3% of the PVP population, on their headline 'free to play' title.

Hardly seems worth a survey.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I always get a kick out of the different proportions that are playing PVP. 60 percent in the crucible vs like 20. That increased lag and small player base absolutely kills multiplayer on the Stadia.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FWIW it looks like the Xbox Cloud Gaming is going to release around sept 21st for android phones (prob no iOS).

Edit: Or not... who knows but MS is releasing a bunch of phone hardware on that date for XCloud. :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1280145540328521728

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah some dude from the verge was in the comments saying that the date doesn't mean anything so :shrug:

If they could get on iOS I'd 100% get in on that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah some dude from the verge was in the comments saying that the date doesn't mean anything so :shrug:

If they could get on iOS I'd 100% get in on that.

Yeah the fact its not gonna be on iOS is a huge bummer.

That and I have no idea what it will cost for extreme edge case useage

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
xCloud preview is available on iOS so I doubt it wouldn't be included. That's like 400 million users.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

American McGay posted:

xCloud preview is available on iOS so I doubt it wouldn't be included. That's like 400 million users.

iOS support will be more about Apple and whether they demand a cut of revenue.

Actually, not "whether". How much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Klyith posted:

iOS support will be more about Apple and whether they demand a cut of revenue.

Actually, not "whether". How much.

They could just do the same thing YouTube does and make the user pay the Apple tax.

If you sub to YouTube via iOS it’s 14.99 but if you go through google it’s 11.99.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xbox finally gets symmetrical sticks.

And stops leveraging AAs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

univbee posted:

Xbox finally gets symmetrical sticks.

Worst part of the entire design.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Symmetrical sticks basically cripple me whereas offsets mean I'm merely bad.

MarcusSA posted:

They could just do the same thing YouTube does and make the user pay the Apple tax.

If you sub to YouTube via iOS it’s 14.99 but if you go through google it’s 11.99.
...and everyone is tired of forking over 30% extra for zero value added (like the stadia and game prices).

We won't see this on iOS until antitrust suits shake out.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 6, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just sub outside the app.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It could happen, MS does Office 365 subs through Apple

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

wyoak posted:

It could happen, MS does Office 365 subs through Apple
Yeah and they actively want to stop. The problem is that you can't advertise that it's possible to subscribe outside and I'm sure there are a dozen other gotchas Apple has to block streaming services like "cannot duplicate our lovely first party offering".

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Guys stop talking about not stadia. Xbox cloud is just a fuckin phase.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
This week in Stadia news: absolutely nothing. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Didn’t Crayta come out? I remember that being highly anticipated on r/stadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

iajanus posted:

Worst part of the entire design.

That’s 8bitdos design and that’s kinda their thing. You can still use the Xbox controller though.