Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

galactic brain sid meier: a good game is a series of intersting choices.

mouth breather: holds r2 shield button circle strafe

me, genius: presses x to knife a dog in the throat then presses x again to learn the dogs backstory

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

me, genius: presses x to knife a dog in the throat then presses x again to learn the dogs backstory

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Been replaying Sekiro, first time since launch, only played it the once. It kicks so much rear end and I only like half remember where anything is so I get to look for secrets again and probably find stuff I missed before. Pwnage

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Been replaying Sekiro, first time since launch, only played it the once. It kicks so much rear end and I only like half remember where anything is so I get to look for secrets again and probably find stuff I missed before. Pwnage

This, but a month ago

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cleared out most of the bbastille other than some salt tower with a big lad who’s two lads glued together. He seems a big step up so gonna take the other route from majula now rather because I got to the bastille from the pursuer area

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The fat dragon rider boss sucked so much. Just an easy first try kill. The Heide knights in the are are much harder than he is. Those dudes are so awkward. They don't kill me but they're so hard to beat without taking damage. They have like no window between when one combo ends and the next begins and they spin so fast when you try get behind them. then the huge giants in the area go down in like two hits lol. Found a boat too and cleared out the whole wharf without a death too, so feeling good rn.

Also put my summon sign down altering beating sentinels and the host summoned three of us for the fight so it was super nice getting revenge on the 3 sentinels lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFacCzxKDcA

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also cleared out no man I hard with double caestus with no issues or deaths 🥊🥊

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

Also cleared out no man I hard with double caestus with no issues or deaths 🥊🥊

I've died the most in this area so far :negative:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn’t get in the boat yet I only cleared out the area with Lucatiel and the bell to summon the ship and the big lads who hate fire.

I did bastille first so I’m a bit higher level. The Heide knights are way harder than anyone I met in wharf

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cleared out the wharf. Had go through it again to actually open the way to the ship lol. Area sucked kind of imo. I liked the design and lighting the braziers as you went was cool but there were just an insane amount of dudes in there. Only died twice, once to BS when I just stood there swinging at a dog doing 0 damage because they're asburdly janky and another time I thought I'd killed literally everyone and there was a house full of dudes still. Not a hard area just a time consuming one killing so many weak dudes. Archers that slowly shoot at you across the map forever and dogs always suck the most in these games imo.

The boss on the ship would have been cooler if I hadn't explored the Saltower and seen it as a regular enemy already lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i think i spent more time lighting braziers in ds2 than almost anything else

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Cleared out the wharf. Had go through it again to actually open the way to the ship lol. Area sucked kind of imo. I liked the design and lighting the braziers as you went was cool but there were just an insane amount of dudes in there. Only died twice, once to BS when I just stood there swinging at a dog doing 0 damage because they're asburdly janky and another time I thought I'd killed literally everyone and there was a house full of dudes still. Not a hard area just a time consuming one killing so many weak dudes. Archers that slowly shoot at you across the map forever and dogs always suck the most in these games imo.

The boss on the ship would have been cooler if I hadn't explored the Saltower and seen it as a regular enemy already lol

I hate to say it but that boss wouldnt have been cool no matter what you did

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

net cafe scandal posted:

It's one of the many cases in DS2 where the arena is much cooler than the boss.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'll never forget getting to the top of castle drangleic and the boss being two fuckin dragonriders. what a fuckin disappointment

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

net cafe scandal posted:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fungah! posted:

i'll never forget getting to the top of castle drangleic and the boss being two fuckin dragonriders. what a fuckin disappointment

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am like 2 a lot, double caestus and powerstancing ftw. The bosses mainly suck though, only enjoyed the pursuer so far as dude's in armour go. Sentinels were lame because it was just a medium enemy but three of them. Which is never interesting.

Joined Bell Bros and going to do the boss there next. Had ignored it thinking I'd be booted out if I rang the bell.

Also got a handle on the sword Heide Knights but they are so awkward when they pair up with the big knights.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I keep trying to get back into 2 but bounce off it hard; usually when I put down a souls game for a while it’s because I’m stuck on a single post-game boss like OoK or Friede that I just need to put in more attempts on, but 2 just feels like so much more of a slog and the early areas suck hard. It even has the only souls content I’ve yet to touch (ivory king)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The development of 2 seems like it was a total mess. It had co-directors who apparently didn't gel at all and years' worth of asset and story work had to be scrapped or repurposed after one of the directors left the project. The DLCs are noticeably better all-around because the remaining director basically had free reign on the project for the first time. Ivory King is arguably the best of the three DLCs but imo they're some of the best Dark Souls content period.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

emember how cool the game looked at first with the focus on darkness and dynamic lighting and using torches and they just kind of dropped all of that at the last minute, so half the areas just have hideous flat fullbright lighting like an early PS2 game

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
having put 700 combined hours into ds2 and sotfs, I can say with certainty that it's not a good game, not like "it's a good game but not a good souls game" no it's just a bad game full stop. I still love it because my brain is broken and every other souls like I've tried sucks even more than ds2

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I like the hub music and that they added my favorite Souls weapon type, the lance. The PVP in general was more fun than DS1 somehow. Besides that it sucks so bad that it still pisses me off to this day and I will never play the DLC

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dark souls 2 is the greatest PS2 game they never made

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sekiro's level design is criminally good how did they make this game this dense and still so fun to explore

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Unlikely as it was gone from DS3 I hear but I’d love powerstancing in the demons remake so I can dual wield hands of god

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Powerstancing is cool, I liked the two greatshields that fit together like a puzzle piece

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want to power stance a pair of big tits.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beat poo poo Ornstein tongith as well as the Gargoyles redux. The former sucked a lot lol because it’s just a totally neutered Ornstein. And not even an homage it’s just him lol. However i liked the gargoyle fight a lot more than the original. It was cool they had a shared HP bar instead of just separate ones. Got them down to one hit twice and died which was enraging but beat them on go three.

Messing around in the salt tower cos no idea where else to go. Doing good damage on the sentinel in there and now that i am trying to fight him seeing his pattern isn’t too bad so hopefully soon can beat him reliable and get near the mist door in there.

Heide Knights would be my favourite enemy in the game if they balanced them a little more. On their multi hits I’d bait out the first hit and make it miss, then instantly dodge into their second one and hit them as i was coming out of the roll. Then they’d just hit me again before i was finished hitting them. Not even like the third part of their sequence which is a recognisable overhead. They’d just start an ew attack. Their window between wen they whiff and can attack again is BS if you’re only dodging imo. So I just parried them all and took no damage instead. Only time I used a shield all game :saddowns: But tbh it’s about having the most fun playing and normally that is dodging and never blocking but in this case gently caress them knights.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

emember how cool the game looked at first with the focus on darkness and dynamic lighting and using torches and they just kind of dropped all of that at the last minute, so half the areas just have hideous flat fullbright lighting like an early PS2 game

my theory is that they were trying to build with with the same graphic techniques as bloodborne but it was impossible to run on last gen so they had to scrap it and rebuild it with no time left. i think this because they were developed in tandem and the geometry in that early footage looks similar to the bloodborne geometry

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

my theory is that they were trying to build with with the same graphic techniques as bloodborne but it was impossible to run on last gen so they had to scrap it and rebuild it with no time left. i think this because they were developed in tandem and the geometry in that early footage looks similar to the bloodborne geometry

That makes a lot of sense yeah. You can tell they tried to improve it a bit in Scholar with... Mixed results, like Scholar in general

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I played through DS2 fairly recently, and it did strike me as looking kind of washed out or something. I didn't realise this was down to the lighting engine.

Also I never knew about powerstancing and now I'm annoyed because that sounds fun, I was just using the mace and then a big boss soul hammer.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Don’t think I’d have known about powerstancing if Go5 hadn’t mentioned it in this thread lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beat lost winner on my first to after multiple tries to beat the sentinel before hand. Got good at beating it’s pattern but first time I beat it had 2 Estus but figured I’d see the boss at least. Only got hit once 💪 and then hit save on the recording and only took a screenshot 😭

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Grats. BTW that was the last good boss until the dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Beat lost winner on my first to after multiple tries to beat the sentinel before hand. Got good at beating it’s pattern but first time I beat it had 2 Estus but figured I’d see the boss at least. Only got hit once 💪 and then hit save on the recording and only took a screenshot 😭

congrats on dodging the giant with a sword that does a 3 swing combo, eenjoy the next 100 hours of game