Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

out of curiosity, does anyone use actual backup software on their home desktop installations? Either centralized like amanda or bacula or single-workstation like deja-dup or duplicity.

I just use rsync for big files and clone mercurial repositories for code and etc. I might try to get bacula working since I haven't tried it before.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I use time machine + backblaze on my unix desktop op

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I use syncthing on all machines for sync and immediate "oops delete" recovery including my phone. Then use restic for actual backups with a backblaze B2 repo as remote storage.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pram posted:

I use time machine + backblaze on my unix desktop op

yeah, my mac has time machine too, but the cook hasn't made that jewel of a program open source so I gotta make do with open source substitutes on my linux desktop. Also, I'm a paranoid idiot so I don't trust online backups. Maybe I'll hook up my parents with that service though.

maybe once Munich gets back into open source development, they'll make open source backup software actually user friendly. I won't hold my breath. Maybe I should learn German.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Xik posted:

I use syncthing on all machines for sync and immediate "oops delete" recovery including my phone. Then use restic for actual backups with a backblaze B2 repo as remote storage.

Syncthing and restic seem cool. I'll take a look. Thanks!

Looks like both of these programs were written in go.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

starbucks hermit posted:

out of curiosity, does anyone use actual backup software on their home desktop installations? Either centralized like amanda or bacula or single-workstation like deja-dup or duplicity.

I just use rsync for big files and clone mercurial repositories for code and etc. I might try to get bacula working since I haven't tried it before.

file history (windows' lovely time machine wanna be) to a raid1 storage pool + periodic robocopy to an external drive i keep offsite

planning to eventually replace that with a nas + backblaze or similar

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

file history (windows' lovely time machine wanna be) to a raid1 storage pool + periodic robocopy to an external drive i keep offsite

planning to eventually replace that with a nas + backblaze or similar

hmm, writing is on the wall here

I really like backblaze's hard drive stats and blogs, so maybe I should take the plunge

pram
Jun 10, 2001

starbucks hermit posted:

yeah, my mac has time machine too, but the cook hasn't made that jewel of a program open source so I gotta make do with open source substitutes on my linux desktop. Also, I'm a paranoid idiot so I don't trust online backups. Maybe I'll hook up my parents with that service though.

you can use your own encryption key fwiw

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pram posted:

you can use your own encryption key fwiw

:tinfoil: but what if I leak my key or use bad entropy or ...

I really should just deep freeze a copy of my data on Amazon S3 glacier with multiple hardware backed keys

maybe I should be doing this as my quarantine project

or maybe I should just use backblaze

really, thanks y'all for the information. NAS + Backblaze is actually what I should probably setup for my parents anyway, and if it works ok, then I'll probably do it for my own data too.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol at the idea that anything of value would be lost if all the computers in the world died at once

backups are for the weak

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
you guys keep important things on your computers ???

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol if u don't have 37 gigabytes of the finest memes

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
all of my desktop/laptop machines take btrfs snapshots on every boot, and i regularly sync those to a big RAID 1 in my home server

time machine to two separate disks for my wifes mbp, two disks for more reundancy, and because time machine in high sierra regularly seems to get into a hosed up state where no further incremental backups will hapen, goes from 'preparing backup' to idle, not actually doing the backup, only way ive found to work around it is to zero the backup disk and do another full backup, so still have one readable backup while one disk is getting a full backup

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the russians just store their stockpile of funny pictures on google drive and treat their entire pc as a throwaway piece of garbage

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
is google drive not eol yet

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

leave it to linux users to turn "set and forget" into "unpaid job"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

is google drive not eol yet
You're not allowed to back up MMS messages on Android unless you subscribe to Google drive so no.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Who tf uses mms?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as an unrepentant android user: no, they do not. partially because mms will not work without incomprehensible carrier janitoring half the time.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

Who tf uses mms?

i have a friend who keeps sending me mms pics

I'll never know if they are nudes because my phone just says "MMS not supported" or some poo poo like that

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

"Project Springfield" Is Red Hat's Effort To Improve Linux File-Systems / Storage

looked into that stratis project not that long ago, but it just seems like a binary that provides a dbus endpoint for creating thin lvm volumes with xfs on them, and nothing more?

another project where its "redeeming feature" is that it's written in rust, like that's a goal in itself

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol seems like the Springfield project does not mention stratis at all, guess that bodes well for them

https://springfield-project.github.io/

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

carry on then posted:

yeah that macos time machine behavior/bug is a huge pain, automated incremental btrfs send/receive works perfectly

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

"Project Springfield" Is Red Hat's Effort To Improve Linux File-Systems / Storage

looked into that stratis project not that long ago, but it just seems like a binary that provides a dbus endpoint for creating thin lvm volumes with xfs on them, and nothing more?

another project where its "redeeming feature" is that it's written in rust, like that's a goal in itself

Interesting!

I think the primary selling point of stratis is that it uses hidden tricks to automatically grow thinly provisioned filesystems so that "free space" is irrelevant. The idea is that you have a pool of space, and you create one or more thin volumes that can grow to consume the entirety of the space. I assume that stratis changes the filesystem metadata and underlying data allocation which is why they ask you to please not use xfs tools on stratis volumes and let stratis do it.

Of course, I read through the first few sentences and thought "this is just lvm, with magic". And "btrfs would probably do this better since it's built from the ground up for this".

Either someone really wanted to learn more about xfs, or someone wanted to extend (or simply exercise) their current knowledge of xfs. Because I think this kind of magic looks brittle as gently caress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1275786471841112064?s=20

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol i dont need to click on a twitter feed to see poorly aged things

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Remember, as
of the twin towers and
spin recovery above Times
is a pilot's first

share if you agree

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

FMguru posted:

lol i dont need to click on a twitter feed to see poorly aged things

same *clicks monitor off*

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sapozhnik posted:

Remember, as
of the twin towers and
is a pilot's first

share if you agree

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

psiox posted:

same *clicks monitor off*

:same:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

spankmeister posted:

Who tf uses mms?

It's the one friend that refuses to upgrade to anything else.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Remember, as
of the twin towers and
is a pilot's first

share if you agree

yeah I had to make sure my brain wasn't completely broken when I first read that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Weaponized Autism posted:

It's the one friend that refuses to upgrade to anything else.

I don’t think I have seen anyone at all use mms even once. maybe you need better friends

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's me, i'm the one that still uses mms for when i need to send something to multiple recipients

or a picture, gently caress snapchat

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

groupchat mms works surprisingly well though, i think that's an android feature few people know about

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

when one of my friends samsung sends video over mms to me it looks like 140p

im fairly certain they didn't record it that way. wahts the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

unless you're using the new-fangled "chat features enabled" crap, you are sending data via an out of band signaling method, not over the Internet. This stuff prioritizes high reliability and robustness but bandwidth really suffers. So movies are adjusted accordingly.

Solution is to just not use mms. Use google hangouts or slack or discord or kakaotalk or LINE or iMessage or...