Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That list gets a lot smaller if you have any standards at all and less than 8 hours everyday to play videogames. I mean godspeed if you do, that was me like 10 years ago but not so much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Metro Exodus is very good

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That list gets a lot smaller if you have any standards at all and less than 8 hours everyday to play videogames. I mean godspeed if you do, that was me like 10 years ago but not so much anymore.

I've reached the "freeroamer, huh? Nope, never getting anywhere in that" phase of life

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Those are all good games that i played

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wouldn't call a game good if it doesn't exclusively (or near exclusively if it's not a long-session type game) capture my attention for at least a month. Maybe a week when in quarantine mode.

I can tell a game is SSS-Tier if 1) I finish it or 2) my wife actually enjoys it.

The last game to achieve both was Death Stranding.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 1, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a month of exclusive attention is a pretty tall order now. I finished The Witness in a few days but I thought it was good, zen and chill.

however all gaming is worthless until somebody brings back Ape Escape

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Good short games are fine too but those are generally story-forward games and I actively avoid that most of the time.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Who's ready for Halo Infinite gameplay this month?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Following the decade trend, about 1.8 million fewer people than cared about the last one!!!

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Screw the haters. Anyone wanna play Halo: Reach in Master Chief Collection tonight on Xbox? HMU. Gamertag: faaart XCUSE ME

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Who's ready for Halo Infinite gameplay this month?
Ehh

I hope it’s good, if it’s on PC GamePass I will play it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

FlamingLiberal posted:

Metro Exodus is very good

I really tried to like the game but the control responsive is so dire I couldn't play more than an hour. Moving my aim felt like moving through sand.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stealth shooters often fall into the trap of making the shooting cumbersome so that the player will engage with what is otherwise a very passive exercise in waiting for patrolling npcs cause if you got to be a badass you'd just gun everyone down.
Mgsv has a great balance of action/stealth with both viable and lots of gimmick poo poo to play with but many games are too self serious to go that route

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 2, 2020

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ehh

I hope it’s good, if it’s on PC GamePass I will play it

All first-party titles come to Game Pass on day one. So, yay! I think Halo Infinite will have a ton of players because of it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Screw the haters. Anyone wanna play Halo: Reach in Master Chief Collection tonight on Xbox? HMU. Gamertag: faaart XCUSE ME

Whats your night time? Im in Aus +10GMT

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Laserface posted:

Whats your night time? Im in Aus +10GMT

I'm online right now. I'm Eastern time and it is current 8:35 PM

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Ineffiable posted:

I really love gamepass for these games. I've waffled on buying SC6 multiple times and if I ever saw it for $5 I'd probably just do it. Now I can buy it, put a few hours into it, and remember why I don't stick with fighting games for a long time and move on.

I also played crackdown 3 via gamepass and man I was bored in less than two hours. Now I never have to think about that game again. Gamepass is worth it if you can find deals on it regularly making it half off, so $90 a year is a good deal considering that $50-60 dollars is for playing online already (feels like xbl gold deals have gotten worse because now it's about GPU). If you play at least two full priced games on it a year and save yourself buying those games, it's well worth it.
If you use Microsoft Rewards you can get it for basically free. I'm paid up through March 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kecske posted:

however all gaming is worthless until somebody brings back Ape Escape

Where is my got dang no-loading Ape Escape game, Sony. Just make it that open world trash kids love these days, I'll still buy it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So I just got a Xbox One and man gamepass pretty much has everything you would want to play on it. There's like no reason to buy physical for it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Real hurthling! posted:

Stealth shooters often fall into the trap of making the shooting cumbersome so that the player will engage with what is otherwise a very passive exercise in waiting for patrolling npcs cause if you got to be a badass you'd just gun everyone down.
Mgsv has a great balance of action/stealth with both viable and lots of gimmick poo poo to play with but many games are too self serious to go that route

Just restarted mgs2 on the hd collection and it holds up super well, but since it's on Xbox I'm intimidated since all my metal gear muscle memory is tied to dual shocks, even bought a ds4 just for my steam copy of mgsv.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'm online right now. I'm Eastern time and it is current 8:35 PM

I ended up getting tied up with work stuff but I'll add you and jump in if I see you playing.

Gt is varvs

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Another Smart Delivery denied, along with a hint that base games are going to cost more next gen, which is going to further erode how many devs are on-board with smart delivery.

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1278691507906764807?s=21

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Famously not-greedy devs, 2K Games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2k isnt a brand its an msrp

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Famously not-greedy devs, literally any dev.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's loving hilarious. "The graphics cost 10 dollars more on PS5, but not if you buy the 100 dollar edition".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That's loving hilarious. "The graphics cost 10 dollars more on PS5, but not if you buy the 100 dollar edition".

I think they're just admitting you're getting $20 in microtransaction Itchy and Scratchy money, and $10 in graphics.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I work in games and everybody I've spoken to at Xbox genuinely wants users to not be dicked around, it's surprising the lack of cynicism. They've invested a shitload in being good to the "consumer," it's just a shame barely any other big games companies are on board with that sentiment.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Xbox brand was irreparably damaged when they tried to do the exact opposite, I think they just shifted their mission statement to stem the bleeding as much as possible.

There's also a huge difference between "person who works for Microsoft" and "someone who has a seat at the board at Microsoft and has yearly earnings of 7 figures or more" in terms of how much their opinion matters as far as the company's actions are concerned.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I mean yes, many human beings are irredeemable shitheads but the day to day difference between dealing with Microsoft and Sony is quite stark at the moment.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah that kind of culture change does come from the top. I don't work in games but I am a dev and the change in how Microsoft pushes their tools and their way of doing things to supporting open standards and all of that has been marked since Ballmer left and Nadella took over.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Another decade, another Project Ten Dollar.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

I mean yes, many human beings are irredeemable shitheads but the day to day difference between dealing with Microsoft and Sony is quite stark at the moment.

What's Sony been doing? Genuinely curious about this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
after declaring that I hate story games yesterday I started playing Yakuza 0 on gamepass lol

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

after declaring that I hate story games yesterday I started playing Yakuza 0 on gamepass lol

That’s not a story game. That’s THE story

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

An epic saga of win

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yakuza is an experience more than it is a story or a game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Even though I don't generally seek them out I think Japanese story games with a sense of humor are a blind spot in my hate for story games.

I feel like most of games, since somewhere during the PS3/360 gen, hit a sort of "uncanny valley" of storytelling where they've finally veered just close enough to being analogous to good movies that I cannot stand to experience them and they feel even shittier than PS2/Xbox era attempts at it. Back then most people were still very cognizant of the fact that games were still a fledgling weird cousin of movies, and were mostly just aping certain tricks of cinema that they figured out apply to games too.

I think it's even worse than being "uncanny valley" because it's less that they're almost good and eerie and more that they are actually quite bad and a bunch of VG writers and creators have convinced themselves that they're Very Serious People and they're better than they really are just because they're hiring and more fully utilizing decent actors, and it's producing WORSE results than back when they were more convinced that games are more of a B-Movie/exploitation thing.

I think a lot of people have clocked this with David Cage but I'm walking around with the They Live! glasses and seeing that everyone is a David Cage.

But getting back to the point I feel like having translation and culture as barriers against this sort of thing keeps a story like Yakuza still feeling ok to me.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 2, 2020

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I want to make the Housers disappear for like 2 straight GTA games and give them to someone who does not care as much about making Art and Cinema and just wants to milk that engine for as much fun as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun is not allowed in western aaa