Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

...printed with what?

Goatse, what else?

Company logos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

PabloBOOM posted:

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2009 335i convertible for the few weeks I've owned it. It has even been assembled and driven 75% of those weeks!

Using the word "uninspired" is very apt for the ZF. Flappy paddles do in a pinch when the mood strikes you, but it's otherwise... Adequate. If your friend is OK putting in hours of affectionate swearing/paying lots of money to shops, then they'll have a wonderful time. If it's going to be their sole means of transportation then do a bunch of preventative procedures and pray.

They are delightful cars and I love my n54, but I know we're going to continue come to blows and I'm at peace with that.

I have a 2008 335i sedan with manual and the sport package.
I love that car and will fight anyone that tried to take it.
Personally, I love the N54. Some of the issues with it were addressed in recalls, others.... Well let's just say you should do your research and keep your eyes on it and give it the attention it needs.
A lot of the other stuff is just regular BMW type stuff.

I will say, my N54 (running a stage 1 off the shelf tune) does like nice fresh spark plugs.
Getting more power out of that is remarkably easy and cheap.

I'm not sure how it compares to newer 3 series, but my E90 seems to have body roll under control. But some of that may come from having the sport package. I also swapped on Koni Special Active shocks and struts last year.

Now if you weren't married to the idea of having a BMW engine, you could pick up an E9x and swap in an LS and transmission. They already make kits for that. If my N54 dies, that will likely be my route (honestly, it might be anyways given how cheap E9xs can be had).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: you know what, this is a dumb question.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 30, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You F3x guys have any issues with the tail lights? I had one replaced on mine (330D) under warranty and brother had both his (320D) done when it was two years old due to moisture issues. They are pretty loving expensive since they replace the entire unit so wondering if there might've been an update to keep it from happening in the future. It would suck to have to pay 500+ bucks every couple of years otherwise. (Other than that the car's been flawless for 2 years and 25k miles.)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You F3x guys have any issues with the tail lights? I had one replaced on mine (330D) under warranty and brother had both his (320D) done when it was two years old due to moisture issues. They are pretty loving expensive since they replace the entire unit so wondering if there might've been an update to keep it from happening in the future. It would suck to have to pay 500+ bucks every couple of years otherwise. (Other than that the car's been flawless for 2 years and 25k miles.)

I had one for 6 years and never had an issue with my tail lights but my car wasn't the LCI. Big sample size here but I know a few people locally and that's not something I've heard a lot about.

loving electric water pumps, that's poo poo you hear from F30 peeps everywhere you go.

Can't wait to see what fucks up in my M340

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
No tail light issues. Did have to have the horns replaced though, but that's the other end of the car. And got the oil filter housing gasket replaced. Radiator got a hole, so they replaced that and the coolant, but afaik they didn't change the pump, but I had good luck on E90s by just redoing the coolant proactively.

Been pretty reasonable so far!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kronix posted:

I had one for 6 years and never had an issue with my tail lights but my car wasn't the LCI. Big sample size here but I know a few people locally and that's not something I've heard a lot about.

loving electric water pumps, that's poo poo you hear from F30 peeps everywhere you go.

Can't wait to see what fucks up in my M340

Ours are LCI and wagons so maybe that's a difference. Electric water pumps eh? Will have to keep an eye out for that. Love the god drat thing though, super comfortable ride, great handling, massive towing power and xDrive is excellent. Went to a scout meeting and found one of the participants stuck halfway up a gravel hill with a heavy trailer. Hooked it on to the 330 and just walked it up barely off idle. All that and I still get an easy 40mpg.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I feel like a broken record shill on here sometimes, but if you buy this from FCP Euro, your replacements are free forever!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Hill Descent Control light came up on my E92 dash while I was driving today. It was rainy, but a flat surface. I didn't press the button. Did it kick in automatically?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Ours are LCI and wagons so maybe that's a difference. Electric water pumps eh? Will have to keep an eye out for that. Love the god drat thing though, super comfortable ride, great handling, massive towing power and xDrive is excellent. Went to a scout meeting and found one of the participants stuck halfway up a gravel hill with a heavy trailer. Hooked it on to the 330 and just walked it up barely off idle. All that and I still get an easy 40mpg.

Yep I had mine go out at 50k and BMW did me a solid and replaced it for free. Basically it shorted on and ran constantly until it completely drained the battery and the water pump isn’t stopped by the low voltage cutoff that shuts down just about everything in the car when the battery voltage gets too low.

What they didn’t replace for free was the $270 battery that had its life ended early by a series of very deep discharges.

That water pump is really the only problem I had with my 335i xdrive after 6 years and 60k miles.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
N55 problems I had:

Oil filter housing gasket leak. This is very common. If you don't get it addressed quickly it'll spit oil on your accessory belt (and everything else). If your accessory belt breaks you gotta replace it and the front main seal. Maybe bits get sucked into your oil pan so be prepared for that.

God damned cooling system. Replaced the pump (electric), a couple hoses, expansion tank. All at different times so getting stranded on the interstate was great.

But that's it! Honestly kinda poo poo but you can mod the gently caress out of it and put out stupid power just check your poo poo often.

Don't have to worry about walnut blasting like ke a n54 or turbo issues iirc.

E: so yeah it has problems but they're fairly obvious and it's very moddable

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
For me I had to get the valve cover replaced because it cracked and the expansion tank for the same reason on my N55.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

The Big Jesus posted:

N55 problems I had:

Oil filter housing gasket leak. This is very common. If you don't get it addressed quickly it'll spit oil on your accessory belt (and everything else). If your accessory belt breaks you gotta replace it and the front main seal. Maybe bits get sucked into your oil pan so be prepared for that.

God damned cooling system. Replaced the pump (electric), a couple hoses, expansion tank. All at different times so getting stranded on the interstate was great.

But that's it! Honestly kinda poo poo but you can mod the gently caress out of it and put out stupid power just check your poo poo often.

Literally my favorite thing about the B58 (after the closed deck) is that they went back to a mechanical water pump. They kept an electric one too just for the turbos to keep things over engineered but the primary one is mechanical again.

If I were going to have kept the car long term I would’ve had most of the hoses and the expansion tank replaced.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

rscott posted:

For me I had to get the valve cover replaced because it cracked and the expansion tank for the same reason on my N55.

Oh yeah this reminds me they recommended a valve cover gasket replacement as well but I didn't get it done.

Most issues presented between 65 and 85k miles FYI. OFHG was probably mid 50s and a lot of the rest were resulting from that I think.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

The Big Jesus posted:

Oh yeah this reminds me they recommended a valve cover gasket replacement as well but I didn't get it done.

Most issues presented between 65 and 85k miles FYI. OFHG was probably mid 50s and a lot of the rest were resulting from that I think.

Yeah you should just do it. It’s not super expensive and will possibly save you the indignity of driving a car that smells of burning oil everywhere.

It’s like $300 in parts of you want to do it yourself. It’s not too bad if you’re mechanically inclined at all and it’s probably no more than $1200 at a shop.

Oil going places it’s no supposed to go isn’t awesome. It’s one of those things you probably won’t have to worry about again.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kronix posted:

Yeah you should just do it. It’s not super expensive and will possibly save you the indignity of driving a car that smells of burning oil everywhere.

It’s like $300 in parts of you want to do it yourself. It’s not too bad if you’re mechanically inclined at all and it’s probably no more than $1200 at a shop.

Oil going places it’s no supposed to go isn’t awesome. It’s one of those things you probably won’t have to worry about again.

I got mine done under warranty and the listed price was about $650 and most of that was the valve cover itself because the EGR valve is integrated into it as one assembly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kronix posted:

Literally my favorite thing about the B58 (after the closed deck) is that they went back to a mechanical water pump. They kept an electric one too just for the turbos to keep things over engineered but the primary one is mechanical again.

If I were going to have kept the car long term I would’ve had most of the hoses and the expansion tank replaced.

I think they put a mechanical pump on the S55 as well? I'm pretty sure it was one of the many things they beefed up from the N55.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The Big Jesus posted:

N55 problems I had:

I have had the exact same issues with mine. I also have a minor head gasket leak that I'll need to take care of at some point, but it doesn't even move the oil level gauge over 5k miles.

I think my front left LCAB needs to be replaced as well as it's starting to make a thunk sound when I accelerate from a stop.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

I think they put a mechanical pump on the S55 as well? I'm pretty sure it was one of the many things they beefed up from the N55.

They did put a mech pump on the s55 and kept an electro one as well by the turbos that will run after you're done driving if it's still hot. They're in series

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m in an 2011 F11. Would a dead AC compressor throw up a dashboard warning of any kind? I’m 90% mine died after a few weeks of wheezing and, well, no difference between air temp with AC on/off (the volume of air changes though). I want to make sure before I go off looking for a salvage replacement unit.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Mokotow posted:

I’m in an 2011 F11. Would a dead AC compressor throw up a dashboard warning of any kind? I’m 90% mine died after a few weeks of wheezing and, well, no difference between air temp with AC on/off (the volume of air changes though). I want to make sure before I go off looking for a salvage replacement unit.

Wouldn't expect for any codes to be thrown. Most obvious verification method is reading air temperature at the vent with AC on, I believe targeting low ~30°F. Throwing a new compressor at the situation might not be advisable. Could have lost refrigerant due to broken line, damaged condenser or evaporator. A dye-test would be wise.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kronix posted:

Yep I had mine go out at 50k and BMW did me a solid and replaced it for free. Basically it shorted on and ran constantly until it completely drained the battery and the water pump isn’t stopped by the low voltage cutoff that shuts down just about everything in the car when the battery voltage gets too low.

What they didn’t replace for free was the $270 battery that had its life ended early by a series of very deep discharges.

That water pump is really the only problem I had with my 335i xdrive after 6 years and 60k miles.

Well, I looked into it and it appears the engine in mine (N57) is blessed with a mechanical water pump.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

The Big Jesus posted:

They did put a mech pump on the s55 and kept an electro one as well by the turbos that will run after you're done driving if it's still hot. They're in series

That makes sense on the S55 but according to this the electric pump is dedicated to the turbo on the B58.

Frankly, the B58 is probably the best engine BMW has made in a long time. I think compared to the S55 I’d rather have the B58. Similar power stock no crank hub issues.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So, my dad is in the market for a low-mileage F30. I know a fair amount about e9x but next to nothing about F30s. Which of the engines has the fewest long-term problems? I love the fact that my N52 is relatively trouble-free and he is looking for the same.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AFAIK the B-series motors are significantly less problematic than the N-series. They've been around for a bit now and seem to have a better reputation.

Bear Trade
Aug 8, 2010
the internal door handles of my E90 started melting but every BMW fix is like three hundred dollars minimum so instead I just stopped driving people in my car. it’s a win-win in my book

I miss my E46 :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bear Trade posted:

the internal door handles of my E90 started melting

New thread title right here

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I imagine the melting is caused by some sort of advanced electrical or pneumatic system, maybe a microwave emitter?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

G80/G82 M3/M4 teaser

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eugh is the M3 going to have that stupid grille too?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Eugh is the M3 going to have that stupid grille too?

By the looks of this pic, no. BMW has their demographics sliced so thin they probably know why the M4 buyers will accept the snoot but not the M3 buyer.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ultimate Mango posted:

By the looks of this pic, no. BMW has their demographics sliced so thin they probably know why the M4 buyers will accept the snoot but not the M3 buyer.
I think it will. The photos of the camouflaged M3 seem to show the larger grille and several of the BMW insiders have posted on Bimmerpost that the M3 and M4 will have the same front end.

Here’s a M3 test mule on a trailer. If you zoom in you can see the horizontal bars on the big front grille.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 2, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU THE M3 WILL HAVE SMALL GRILLS LIKE THE 2002 LA LA LA

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So, my dad is in the market for a low-mileage F30. I know a fair amount about e9x but next to nothing about F30s. Which of the engines has the fewest long-term problems? I love the fact that my N52 is relatively trouble-free and he is looking for the same.

Nothing in the F30 generation is going to be as problem free as the N52. The N20/N26 have timing chain issues that need to be addressed before 100k. I’ve heard the N26 is better but have no experience. The N55 is probably the most trouble free engine pre-lci.

If you can swing a 2016+ the B series engines are a big improvement. I’ve seen guys on the B58 facebook group swinging ridiculous deals on F30 340’s the last few months so I’d keep an eye out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Do any of you E39/E46 people have experience with the aftermarket Android Auto head units designed for them? Specifically looking at the AVIN Avant-4.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kronix posted:

Nothing in the F30 generation is going to be as problem free as the N52. The N20/N26 have timing chain issues that need to be addressed before 100k. I’ve heard the N26 is better but have no experience. The N55 is probably the most trouble free engine pre-lci.

If you can swing a 2016+ the B series engines are a big improvement. I’ve seen guys on the B58 facebook group swinging ridiculous deals on F30 340’s the last few months so I’d keep an eye out.
Thanks, he's looking to pay under 20k so the 340 is probably not gonna happen. He also wants a manual transmission and AWD, so this is not gonna be easy lol.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I've got an F30 335xi that I have this vague idea about manual-swapping. I have no idea how viable that is, though.

Thanks, he's looking to pay under 20k so the 340 is probably not gonna happen. He also wants a manual transmission and AWD, so this is not gonna be easy lol.

I think the F30 328 is still a really fun car, which I am pretty sure could be configured with AWD and a manual -- might find one of those around 20k.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do any of you E39/E46 people have experience with the aftermarket Android Auto head units designed for them? Specifically looking at the AVIN Avant-4.
Holy poo poo, they finally figured out how to use a semi-modern SoC and operating system in one. That's amazing.

Last time I looked at those things they were all running 3-5 year old builds of Android that were hacked to hell. It's probably still hacked to hell but at least it's not ancient trash anymore.

Here's a review of the newest one compared to a few generations old: https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/avin-avant-4-installation-first-review.1253277/

It certainly seems to be less bad than previous ones.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah, probably shooting for a 328 or 330.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Those android things always seem amazing at first and then 10 minutes later just throw a wobbly and they never work again and there’s no aftermarket support etc. I would buy one of the Gucci Pioneer CarPlay ones that fits instead