Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think I'm gonna hunt down Rubicon and rewatch it

e: terrible snipe

here meet Hondo my newly found 7 week old kitten

isaboo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If you’re okay with subtitles, IRIS is good though don’t watch it on Prime. It was a series and compressing it into a movie doesn’t do the series justice.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

isaboo posted:

I think I'm gonna hunt down Rubicon and rewatch it

e: terrible snipe

here meet Hondo my newly found 7 week old kitten

What a cutie, you gonna keep him? Either way, good on you for taking in a foundling.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

X-O posted:

It has some good spy stuff going on sometimes but it also has a really dumb mytharc about the inventions of a renaissance inventor that is so overly complicated that even the people writing at times didn't know what the hell they were doing. But when it's not doing that it's fun.

what about Killing Eve. It sounds so silly to me despite it's supposed high drama

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mu Zeta posted:

Is the Alias spy show from JJ Abrams any good? All I know about it is that the lady wears a lot of pink hair and that Tom Cruise loved the show and is the main reason why JJ was hired to do Mission Impossible.
Alias is one of those early network attempts at premium TV, alongside its contemporary, 24, it is very much the product of a 911-in-progress and post-911 world that does a good job at keeping a serial story going with shocking and surprising twists and turns every few episodes. And much like 24, after hitting a high in its second season, it gradually gets worse and worse, to the point that the ending isn't quite Game of Thrones bad, but it's close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrXhPJD2G-M

Bonus points for some truly fantastic casting, including Victor Garber as an older Jack Bauer type character who is very proud of his daughter rather than incredibly embarrassed, and Bradley Cooper before he became a talking raccoon in the highest grossing movie of all time.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/american-hustle-star-bradley-cooper-666231

X-O posted:

It has some good spy stuff going on sometimes but it also has a really dumb mytharc about the inventions of a renaissance inventor that is so overly complicated that even the people writing at times didn't know what the hell they were doing. But when it's not doing that it's fun.
The mytharc stuff was a lot more interesting early on when you remember that the only show JJ Abrams had done previously was Keri Russell's Felicity, which was a standard network drama that he somehow convinced the execs to let him add time travel to by the end. So when the CIA and Section Six start chasing several hundred year old manuscripts written in binary code it's obvious that there's only one place that can go but a lot of fun ways to get there. The problem is that like the rest of the show it ultimately goes nowhere and ends with the least interesting macguffin possible.

TV Zombie posted:

If you’re okay with subtitles, IRIS is good though don’t watch it on Prime. It was a series and compressing it into a movie doesn’t do the series justice.
The sequel to IRIS is Athena: Goddess of War and it is very much the Korean answer to 24 but it is better than 24 in every way. It uses what must have been an insane budget for Korean TV to expand the anti-terrorism action into a globe trotting adventure befitting the most ambitious spy dramas. It even has a take on the overused 24/Spooks/MI-5 plot point of "terrorists attack the anti-terrorism headquarters" that actually works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjceTslqDgs

And as you mentioned regarding IRIS, Amazon only seems to have the cut-down movie version. If you can imagine a season of 24 cut down into 2 hours and how well that would work, yeah, there you go.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 2, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Athena also has BoA appear to play herself in a couple episodes which is silly fun t b h

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Iris is actually good? I grew up on korean melodrama tv and hated them all. To be fair I haven't watched any in like 20 years. I just wish we had another season of Homeland. Or The Americans.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

esperterra posted:

Athena also has BoA appear to play herself in a couple episodes which is silly fun t b h

wait BoA is a person? kpop idol?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Is the Alias spy show from JJ Abrams any good? All I know about it is that the lady wears a lot of pink hair and that Tom Cruise loved the show and is the main reason why JJ was hired to do Mission Impossible.

Its good until the end of the 2nd season.

Alot of international locations that take place in basement hallways

And if you love cliffhangers whoo boy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Some melodrama and camp goes hand in hand with Korean television in general tbh

which is why it owns

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

wait BoA is a person? kpop idol?

BoA is an icon and a legend

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

So Iris is actually good? I grew up on korean melodrama tv and hated them all. To be fair I haven't watched any in like 20 years. I just wish we had another season of Homeland. Or The Americans.

At least give it an episode or two to see? I don’t remember any melodrama though it’s been a while since I’ve seen it.

BoA stands for Beat of Angel I think and she is a very successful Kpop Idol.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Her name is Kwon Boa, it's just a fun way to spell it. Though she herself came up with Beat of Angel iirc, most people expand it to Best of Asia however due to her incredible and unprecedented success in Japan when she debuted.

I can and will turn anything into a conversation about kpop, I think I have a problem.

It's her 20th anniversary as an artist, and she's only 33. Blessed tbh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

oh no i forgot he's a chud now :smith:

Are you confusing him with the Dilbert guy? He’s definitely not a chud, he’s maybe a bit “you kids get off my lawn” but he was looking to do anti-trump ads with the Idiocracy IP until 20th century fox wouldn’t let him.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

The United States posted:

The sequel to IRIS is Athena: Goddess of War and it is very much the Korean answer to 24 but it is better than 24 in every way. It uses what must have been an insane budget for Korean TV to expand the anti-terrorism action into a globe trotting adventure befitting the most ambitious spy dramas. It even has a take on the overused 24/Spooks/MI-5 plot point of "terrorists attack the anti-terrorism headquarters" that actually works.

Huh KBS. Figured that one of the Korean Cable companies would have produced it. Anyways, the actor/actress list is really impressive that I think that they could make any melodrama work even if you hate melodrama. The ratings for it for Korea are also stellar, if that’s anything to go by/convince you to watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
e: misread!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Senator Chuckles posted:

Just finished The Good Place. Are there any other shows on streaming right now that scratch the same itch in terms of somewhat lighthearted character-based comedy?

Recently re-watched Psych and strongly recommend.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slamhound posted:

Recently re-watched Psych and strongly recommend.

Definitely seconding this, that show is so goddamn good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is Psyche as smug as it looks?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I don’t think so.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

Sometimes but it's a character flaw of the main character. I effing love Psych because it's totally designed for a dude my age with tons of 80s and 90s references. Also, I had a psychic detective agency so I relate.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Kinda.

The main lead rides that razor’s edge between charming and insufferable, but the rest of the cast provides great ballast.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slamhound posted:

Kinda.

The main lead rides that razor’s edge between charming and insufferable, but the rest of the cast provides great ballast.

He’s written as a kind of annoying guy but he never hits the point where he’s so annoying that you’re wondering why any of the characters spend any time around him or begins annoying the viewer, they really nailed the balance there.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Alias has multiple episodes with Quentin Tarantino in a purely acting role, it's a really bizarre artifact from that time between Jackie Brown and Kill Bill when he was just loving around doing whatever trying to find himself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you confusing him with the Dilbert guy? He’s definitely not a chud, he’s maybe a bit “you kids get off my lawn” but he was looking to do anti-trump ads with the Idiocracy IP until 20th century fox wouldn’t let him.

He was a guest on Alex Jones and did promotion for him in 2013, after Sandy Hook had happened and he was peddling the crisis actor narrative. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt with The Goode Family/Idiocracy/Extract having reactionary streaks to them that's pretty hard to bounce back from.

The last B&B revival even had poo poo like an entire episode about them getting jobs that weren't allowed to fire them when they just spent all day in the bathroom because of those pesky workers rights, his politics don't map directly to modern convervativism but they're still eye-rolling.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

He’s written as a kind of annoying guy but he never hits the point where he’s so annoying that you’re wondering why any of the characters spend any time around him or begins annoying the viewer, they really nailed the balance there.
Yeah, especially the Shaun/Gus dynamic. It’s great how they act as each other’s straight man.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Even if Judge isn't an outright chud he still does a lot of "those damned hippies are just lazy and will sell out as soon as they are given an opportunity" running through his stuff which tells you he's never met a real hippie and he honestly thinks that the 1960s conservative caricature is 100% true. See basically any episode of King of the Hill where Hank interacts with one. Even in episodes where he agrees with them (like the co-op episode) they're still portrayed as dumb and selfish, lacking the moral fortitude of real Americans like Hank Rutherford Hill.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, especially the Shaun/Gus dynamic. It’s great how they act as each other’s straight man.

Huh. I never thought as Gus as being a character needing a straight man though that maybe because his antics aren’t as big as Shauns.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

TV Zombie posted:

Huh. I never thought as Gus as being a character needing a straight man though that maybe because his antics aren’t as big as Shauns.

Have you heard about Pluto?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

He was a guest on Alex Jones and did promotion for him in 2013, after Sandy Hook had happened and he was peddling the crisis actor narrative. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt with The Goode Family/Idiocracy/Extract having reactionary streaks to them that's pretty hard to bounce back from.

The last B&B revival even had poo poo like an entire episode about them getting jobs that weren't allowed to fire them when they just spent all day in the bathroom because of those pesky workers rights, his politics don't map directly to modern convervativism but they're still eye-rolling.

His politics are pretty weird and often bad but when I hear “chud” it has pretty specific connotations of full on-alt right/MAGA poo poo and that’s a line I haven’t seen him cross yet. Dilbert guy, for example, is for sure a chud. Judge has a mix of old guy and tech guy brain worms.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TV Zombie posted:

It happens more as the show progresses. He does some equally ridiculous poo poo after season 3 or 4.

To answer the original question, Shawn is far more likeable than he may appear at first glance. Him being smug is usually a specific joke or ironic, he's mostly just a goofball who people get used to and try not to encourage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you’re a Twin Peaks fan there’s an episode towards the end that you will absolutely love. It’s basically 43 minutes of twin peaks fanservice with some really fun stuff in it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

If you’re a Twin Peaks fan there’s an episode towards the end that you will absolutely love. It’s basically 43 minutes of twin peaks fanservice with some really fun stuff in it.

That's the only episode of Psych I've ever seen, but as a major Twin Peaks fanboy, it was a drat delight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Simon Barry's new Netflix show, Warrior Nun, is pretty fun.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Simon Barry's new Netflix show, Warrior Nun, is pretty fun.

gently caress. Yes. I was wondering if this was good or schlock.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

gently caress. Yes. I was wondering if this was good or schlock.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I actually kinda liked the first season of Preacher. But it took way to long to get Tulip, Jesse and Custer into that diner and everything that happened before it is rendered pointless.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

The complete series is $25 on iTunes. Tempting. I need more spy shows. Condor looks ok but it's on some nothing network nobody heard of.

ABC did a 6 episode mini series on Aldrich Ames, one of the biggest traitors the US ever had, entitled The Assets. I love anything spy related especially cold War Era and I would say it's pretty good and fairly accurate to the true story from what I remember. Paul Rhys nailed playing Aldrich.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because I'm tired of lovely crap-tier Syfy shows. No more Vagrant Queen.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

swickles posted:

Have you heard about Pluto?

Thats messed up

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The complete series is $25 on iTunes. Tempting. I need more spy shows. Condor looks ok but it's on some nothing network nobody heard of.

I enjoyed season one of Condor, some of the villainy is over the top but the analyst character is will played. I have not had the time to watch season 2 yet, maybe I will be able to binge it after it finishes airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shut the gently caress up! Clone High is coming back: https://deadline.com/2020/07/clone-high-animated-series-reboot-phil-lord-chris-miller-bill-lawrence-mtv-studios-1202976045/