Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nickmeister posted:

I feel like Ellie letting Abby go after killing so many is pretty dumb, considering how many she has already killed in the first game. It's hard for me to imagine a person like that would be so conflicted about violence against their enemy, especially in a world w/o an existing justice system.

I don't think it was the act of killing that bothered Ellie - she's clearly fine with taking a life. It's that she realised that killing Abby wouldn't fill the hole inside her - and that revenge wasn't what she needed anymore. Abby wasn't her ideological or strategic enemy, and she didn't pose any threat to her anymore. The only benefit to killing her would be to make herself feel better, which ultimately wasn't possible or necessary. There was no point in perpetuating the cycle of violence any more, it'd just be another pointless death on top of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

nickmeister posted:

I feel like Ellie letting Abby go after killing so many is pretty dumb, considering how many she has already killed in the first game. It's hard for me to imagine a person like that would be so conflicted about violence against their enemy, especially in a world w/o an existing justice system. I like to think she let Abby go, because like Batman and the Joker, they understand each other better than anyone else. or something

I felt like if you're not going to have one kill another, they should've just looked at each other as they went on their separate ways. A fight like that to that finish made no real sense narratively. Ellie seeing Abby had already suffered enough would've been believable to me, or just being tired of it herself, or weakened from the stab, whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

nickmeister posted:

WLF being so dysfunctional was a bit strange to me, since the "most of us don't know it, but we're cannibals" settlement was a real town with people and kids and poo poo. I liked how the creepy, crazy guy you kill as Ellie in that restaurant is just someone else's Joel. Not a "bad" guy, just not on your side. The WLF are easier to hate because of how foolishly aggressive they are, to the detriment of their basic lifestyle.

Are you talking about the paedophile in tlou?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Panzeh posted:

I felt like if you're not going to have one kill another, they should've just looked at each other as they went on their separate ways. A fight like that to that finish made no real sense narratively. Ellie seeing Abby had already suffered enough would've been believable to me, or just being tired of it herself, or weakened from the stab, whatever.

I guess you could argue that it makes sense narratively, but it doesn't make sense dramatically.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

nickmeister posted:

WLF being so dysfunctional was a bit strange to me, since the "most of us don't know it, but we're cannibals" settlement was a real town with people and kids and poo poo. I liked how the creepy, crazy guy you kill as Ellie in that restaurant is just someone else's Joel. Not a "bad" guy, just not on your side. The WLF are easier to hate because of how foolishly aggressive they are, to the detriment of their basic lifestyle.

Erm.. the paedophilic cannibal would be a bad guy if he was on my side too...

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah David the paedophile cannibal man who had a reputation enough that one of his group described Ellie as "David's latest pet" was definitely a "bad guy". That group definitely did not seem to be anything like a real town to me. Just hunkering down in an abandoned town during the very cold winter and eating people.

The WLF also definitely had like, a massive, pretty advanced settlement. Spoilers for the second half of the game It and Jackson seem like the most advanced place we ever see in either game really apart from maybe the QZ at the start of the first game but that seemed kinda lovely. The WLF at their stadium have a gym, bunch of farms, butchers, firing ranges, classrooms and other stuff, they apparently harvest fish enough that they aren't too concerned about losing the "hatchery" which one would assume is chickens I guess.

I think you're supposed to assume that the breakdown in the truce leading to constant skirmishes with the scars and keeping watch on the outskirts of the city have prevented them from doing too much actual work on like infrastructure. Probably hard to convince the people good at construction work to do anything outside the stadium when they could get an arrow in the spine at any point.

The real tragedy post day 3? Who is going to hold Manny's dads spoon for him to eat now?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah David the paedophile cannibal man who had a reputation enough that one of his group described Ellie as "David's latest pet" was definitely a "bad guy". That group definitely did not seem to be anything like a real town to me. Just hunkering down in an abandoned town during the very cold winter and eating people.

The WLF also definitely had like, a massive, pretty advanced settlement. Spoilers for the second half of the game It and Jackson seem like the most advanced place we ever see in either game really apart from maybe the QZ at the start of the first game but that seemed kinda lovely. The WLF at their stadium have a gym, bunch of farms, butchers, firing ranges, classrooms and other stuff, they apparently harvest fish enough that they aren't too concerned about losing the "hatchery" which one would assume is chickens I guess.

I think you're supposed to assume that the breakdown in the truce leading to constant skirmishes with the scars and keeping watch on the outskirts of the city have prevented them from doing too much actual work on like infrastructure. Probably hard to convince the people good at construction work to do anything outside the stadium when they could get an arrow in the spine at any point.

The real tragedy post day 3? Who is going to hold Manny's dads spoon for him to eat now?

The hatchery is a fish hatchery. They're not concerned about losing it because they can wild fish.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
david wasnt a paedophile was he? dont think its even implied.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's vaguely alluded to but I don't think it's ever like, confirmed. The "David's latest pet" and "you have no idea what I'm capable of" lines definitely go in that direction.

He's creepy as gently caress in any case though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vikar Jerome posted:

He's a rock spider. He strokes Ellie's hand and he's going to keep in a cell as a pet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think you're meant to think he's a pedophile so the cannibal thing can be the surprise. They give him this super creepy pedo voice too. He's creepy as gently caress whether it's meant to be a misdirection or not though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hes creepy as gently caress because hes basically joel and then the other poo poo comes out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Macaluso posted:

I think you're meant to think he's a pedophile so the cannibal thing can be the surprise.

That's a hell of a sentence.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

stev posted:

That's a hell of a sentence.

I didn't know how to word it, my point was I think it's meant to be a misdirection becasue they give him such a stereotypically creepy pedo voice and the cannibal reveal comes later

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Vikar Jerome posted:

The voice actors argue about it a bit in this clip and though it's never spelled out for us or them, Ashley says she played it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AaaGoWfOhY&t=1507s

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDG9K5Pu3VA&t=147s

"davids newest pet"

he's a pedo

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

mcbexx posted:

The voice actors argue about it a bit in this clip and though it's never spelled out for us or them, Ashley says she played it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AaaGoWfOhY&t=1507s

i agree with nolan, the way he explains it, he knows his craft.

its great that people can play off the vibe and viewers get their own perspective to it tho.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 2, 2020

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I can see it both ways but I think reading the scene as sexual is more thematically cogent considering David's role as "the Anti-Joel". He twists Joel and Ellie's platonic father-daughter relationship into something perverse.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dewgy posted:

It's vaguely alluded to but I don't think it's ever like, confirmed. The "David's latest pet" and "you have no idea what I'm capable of" lines definitely go in that direction.

He's creepy as gently caress in any case though.

I had huge pedophile alarms going off in my head too. Perhaps too early, as I've been conditioned to see a large hulking adult male going after a young girl in the worst of lights. After (TLOU1 spoilers) Joel comes in to scoop Ellie up after she tenderizes his face with a butcher knife she says something like "he... he tried to..." and the world may never know how to complete that sentence. These people were killing people to eat them; I don't think pedophilia (or worse) is too taboo a bridge for them to cross at their level.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

enojy posted:

I had huge pedophile alarms going off in my head too. Perhaps too early, as I've been conditioned to see a large hulking adult male going after a young girl in the worst of lights. After (TLOU1 spoilers) Joel comes in to scoop Ellie up after she tenderizes his face with a butcher knife she says something like "he... he tried to..." and the world may never know how to complete that sentence. These people were killing people to eat them; I don't think pedophilia (or worse) is too taboo a bridge for them to cross at their level.

funny thing is that it does piss them off, when joel is going on his friendly walk through the neighborhood you can overhear a couple of guards grumbling about how david's "hobbies" have cost them too much and they're going to vote him out at the next community meeting

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
uh yeah I think the implication is pretty clear

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Oxxidation posted:

funny thing is that it does piss them off, when joel is going on his friendly walk through the neighborhood you can overhear a couple of guards grumbling about how david's "hobbies" have cost them too much and they're going to vote him out at the next community meeting

It's also not clear that David's community are aware of his cannibal practices, and you hear them shouting to get the women and children to safety while Joel is stalking them in the snow. They're not a functional community, but neither are they purely a militia with no dependents.

It's also unclear of course just how much they need it, given Ellie takes a deer in the inciting incident.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jetrauben posted:

It's also not clear that David's community are aware of his cannibal practices

Joel goes through a meat locker with a few corpses strung up, it doesn't look hidden or anything. I don't think the cannibalism thing is much of a secret within the community

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

Joel goes through a meat locker with a few corpses strung up, it doesn't look hidden or anything. I don't think the cannibalism thing is much of a secret within the community

Yeah I just took it that they all ate what was available.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the meat locker also has a rota with different poundages/quotas written up, it's all very organized

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
From the first raspy word out of David's mouth I thought "pedo"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

He wanted the deer so he could gently caress it

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

thats a yikesaroo

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Welp, there's another encounter stealthed after quite a few attempts, entirely to avoid killing dogs, specifically what looked like a Golden Retriever with the same name as one of my old dogs.

Seriously, I'm not really that ok with the dog mechanics. I'm not overly fond in general of the "look! see! your enemies are unusually humanized for the genre!" thing with mooks, but the "screaming a dog's name in anguish in the middle of a firefight" feels artificial, it feels like someone abruptly stops acting like a hardened killer and abruptly just becomes something tailor-made to make you, the modern player not living in a hellish kill or be killed world where we value and treasure each other and our pets, shudder.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I blew all of the dogs up and didn't feel bad about it.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Ok but let's talk about the biggest flaw in the game: everyone's willingness to swim with their backpacks

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

heckyeahpathy posted:

Ok but let's talk about the biggest flaw in the game: everyone's willingness to swim with their backpacks

Yeah the first time Ellie swims I assumed she just didn't have a gun on her. Because that gun is gonna have some gunk in it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

stev posted:

Yeah the first time Ellie swims I assumed she just didn't have a gun on her. Because that gun is gonna have some gunk in it.

rip her walkman

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Welp, there's another encounter stealthed after quite a few attempts, entirely to avoid killing dogs, specifically what looked like a Golden Retriever with the same name as one of my old dogs.

Seriously, I'm not really that ok with the dog mechanics. I'm not overly fond in general of the "look! see! your enemies are unusually humanized for the genre!" thing with mooks, but the "screaming a dog's name in anguish in the middle of a firefight" feels artificial, it feels like someone abruptly stops acting like a hardened killer and abruptly just becomes something tailor-made to make you, the modern player not living in a hellish kill or be killed world where we value and treasure each other and our pets, shudder.

The game's trying to be a movie so it fits pretty well as people calling out their friends' names as they disappear/stop talking is a classic horror staple. Kinda supports the endless corpse trail Ellie leaves behind her in that way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only video gamey suspension of disbelief that bugs me is that you can't fashion a melee weapon out of the glass bottles in an emergency, and that you only get like 5 or 6 swings max out of a machete. Come on. I get that the handle is probably all jigged with tape and whatnot, but you spend the entire game collecting tape. If you were sneaky enough, you should be able to complete the game with a single machete (some scripted encounters notwithstanding.)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

How are people who started on Survival difficulty enjoying the game? I have to say that I like this difficulty a lot less than its equivalent in the first game. I think they give you even fewer bullets now than in TLoU1 because melee combat has been expanded, and I think that was the wrong design decision. Most fights now come down to stealth, melee, and traps, three mechanics that aren't as well developed as the gunplay. It makes me feel like I'm not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

I guess I should've heeded the warning the game gave me that said not to go for Survival difficulty on your first playthrough. :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

How are people who started on Survival difficulty enjoying the game? I have to say that I like this difficulty a lot less than its equivalent in the first game. I think they give you even fewer bullets now than in TLoU1 because melee combat has been expanded, and I think that was the wrong design decision. Most fights now come down to stealth, melee, and traps, three mechanics that aren't as well developed as the gunplay. It makes me feel like I'm not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

I guess I should've heeded the warning the game gave me that said not to go for Survival difficulty on your first playthrough. :(

If you're not enjoying it you should turn up the resource levels or something. I did that my first time through and now I'm going through it again on new game Hard+ lazily and trying to kill less WLF to see if that changes anything or not.*

*I mean, I'm not shooting them but I do rile up zombies at them and let them flail around and get eaten. They are phenomenally bad at fighting zombies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I blew all of the dogs up and didn't feel bad about it.

Yeah I don't really feel bad about killing the dogs, though the whine they make when either they die or when their owner dies is slightly more sad than the human NPCs saying each others' names.

I saw a cat run by at one point in the game, and I was like :unsmith: because these games are always like dogs and horses and roaches, so it was nice to see that the powerful kitty cat was thriving

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RareAcumen posted:

If you're not enjoying it you should turn up the resource levels or something. I did that my first time through and now I'm going through it again on new game Hard+ lazily and trying to kill less WLF to see if that changes anything or not.*

*I mean, I'm not shooting them but I do rile up zombies at them and let them flail around and get eaten. They are phenomenally bad at fighting zombies.

Oh, I didn't even know you could customise the difficulty! I feel kind of iffy on moving away from one of the tailored difficulties, but if I start pulling my hair out I might tinker with the sliders somewhat. Thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Oh, I didn't even know you could customise the difficulty! I feel kind of iffy on moving away from one of the tailored difficulties, but if I start pulling my hair out I might tinker with the sliders somewhat. Thanks for the heads up!

Buddy, there are a plentiful smorgasbord of options to play with in this game, you simply must take a look at them.