Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It may not be important but... what’s inside the container?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Air

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The question is poorly posed, but perhaps you are interested in lapse rate.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Platystemon posted:

The question is poorly posed, but perhaps you are interested in lapse rate.

That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-snip-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 1, 2020

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Y'all know any free apps that will;
1. Say something (entered by user)
2. Wait an amount of time (entered by user)
3. Say something different (entered by user)

-----

I want a Yoga App where I can define intervals and positions, but I can't find any that are free. AKA I want to make a unique yoga class.

So anything that can attain the above features would be appreciated.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

-----

I want a Yoga App where I can define intervals and positions, but I can't find any that are free. AKA I want to make a unique yoga class.

Have you considered making a voice recording in real-time? It might be a bit boring to make but then you’re set.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

IFTTT can surely do it but might be too big or unwieldy

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

-----

Can you record it as different mp3s, and then hit random play?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Or record three different phrases and set three alarms with custom sounds?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Have you considered making a voice recording in real-time? It might be a bit boring to make but then you’re set.

You could record just the instructions and then use any audio editing program to add pauses of specific lengths between them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Goons Are Great hit me up with the most informative PM about ants and it has made me really want to read about the previous ant saga. So I tracked it down in this thread and it was a cool read. 10/10, would recommend for all your ant related queries.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

My pet ants were on a feeding frenzy lately and ate like 5 crickets in one day, plus most of my remaining flies. They're still swarming the glass lid. I think they are planning something. I might be next.
If you suddenly don't hear from me again, call

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Goons Are Great posted:

My pet ants were on a feeding frenzy lately and ate like 5 crickets in one day, plus most of my remaining flies. They're still swarming the glass lid. I think they are planning something. I might be next.
If you suddenly don't hear from me again, call

Hey, so ant question.
I live in Sydney Australia and in the warmer months, basically the 9 months that aren’t winter, we’ll see these tiny ants in our kitchen if we leave the barest crumb of anything behind or any food unsealed on the counter.
They are maybe a millimetre in size, 2 at most, what species of ant are they? I think they live in our walls, they come from the windowsill area.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hmm, the size itself is not really telling, it definitely is a smaller species as most ants are about 4 to 5 mm in length for the workers, but the smaller ones tend to be bigger in absolute numbers of individuals. Since you live in Australia, aka the continent that hosts 90% of all ant species in modern and ancient existence with more species in one place than the rest of the world combined, it doesn't really narrow it down. :v:

Do you happen to have a picture? Or maybe you can describe them? Most important features for ant descriptions are size, color, variance between the workers (described as minor, media and major), existence of other castes (eg soldiers that look very different to workers but are the same colony), the length of their antennae, size of the mandibles (the mouth claws) and especially the general shape of the body; specifically the part that connects the thorax and the abdomen, called Petiolus in particular or metasoma for the entire area. Also important features can be their movement pattern during scouting, hunting, marching and fleeing respectively and how they react when they meet other ants. They trade secret often species-specific handshakes when meeting each other.

Actually Qubee suggested I should do an AT thread for ants, might be interesting to do!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ah, it’s winter now so they aren’t about and I never took pictures.
Can’t even help you with their features because they are teeny tiny black specks. All looked the same size though and they bee lined (antlined!) for any bread or breadcrumbs.
If an ant thread gets started and they reappear in spring I’ll post then.

Interesting to learn that Aus is the ant capital of the world though!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Goons Are Great posted:

Hmm, the size itself is not really telling, it definitely is a smaller species as most ants are about 4 to 5 mm in length for the workers, but the smaller ones tend to be bigger in absolute numbers of individuals. Since you live in Australia, aka the continent that hosts 90% of all ant species in modern and ancient existence with more species in one place than the rest of the world combined, it doesn't really narrow it down. :v:

Do you happen to have a picture? Or maybe you can describe them? Most important features for ant descriptions are size, color, variance between the workers (described as minor, media and major), existence of other castes (eg soldiers that look very different to workers but are the same colony), the length of their antennae, size of the mandibles (the mouth claws) and especially the general shape of the body; specifically the part that connects the thorax and the abdomen, called Petiolus in particular or metasoma for the entire area. Also important features can be their movement pattern during scouting, hunting, marching and fleeing respectively and how they react when they meet other ants. They trade secret often species-specific handshakes when meeting each other.

Actually Qubee suggested I should do an AT thread for ants, might be interesting to do!

I don't really have a question but you have made me realize ants are super cool. Yesterday I was out walking the woods and saw thousands of what I guess are red wood ants (Formica rufa) since wikipedia says that's one of the most common ones we get here in Swedish woods that build anthills and I thought about your posts in this thread. And I felt bad because it was impossible to not step on them :(

But it was really cool to see just hordes of them walking around working hard for The Colony. It's been raining this week so I'm guessing that has something to do with their numbers?

Anyway, I'd read your A/T thread.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Helith posted:

Ah, it’s winter now so they aren’t about and I never took pictures.
Can’t even help you with their features because they are teeny tiny black specks. All looked the same size though and they bee lined (antlined!) for any bread or breadcrumbs.
If an ant thread gets started and they reappear in spring I’ll post then.

Interesting to learn that Aus is the ant capital of the world though!

It's a wild guess, but if they are small, black and do not have any brutally looking mandibles or extraordinarily long legs or something like that, chances are it is most likely a Formicinae species, probably genus Lasius and for black ones it is most likely Lasius Niger, Lasius Alienus or Brunneus if it's a dark brown rather than black - similar as the ants posted in the last ant saga we had ITT. Those are just extremely common across the more temperate regions of the earth, to which Sydney usually more or less counts, doing hibernation (which is a rather rare feature in Australia for ants) and they do not grow larger than two or three milimeters in size, the queens being roughly double the size.
Of course, since it is Australia, it might as well be some Ponerinae (primal ants) which are very common in Australia but hardly anywhere else or Dolichoderinae, however just statistically speaking by the likelihood of appearing Formicinae and specifically Lasius have it, as you can barely find a driveway or street corner that does not have those guys around somewhere. They are among the most successful species of animals ever to exist on the planet and love human settlements and if we ever all die out due to a brutal apocalypse, it won't be the cockroaches that are still left, it will be them hunting the roaches, I am very certain.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Man with Hat posted:

I don't really have a question but you have made me realize ants are super cool. Yesterday I was out walking the woods and saw thousands of what I guess are red wood ants (Formica rufa) since wikipedia says that's one of the most common ones we get here in Swedish woods that build anthills and I thought about your posts in this thread. And I felt bad because it was impossible to not step on them :(

But it was really cool to see just hordes of them walking around working hard for The Colony. It's been raining this week so I'm guessing that has something to do with their numbers?

Anyway, I'd read your A/T thread.

Oh I love Formica Rufa, wait, I have this gif of them doing their venom spraying comedy bit, where is it
Here:
https://i.imgur.com/DmoZSn3.mp4

Sadly they are endangered by now due to us tearing down forests, but no worries for stepping on them, it's unlikely your pressure can pop their exoskeleton in soft forest soil and even if so, they have a solidly quick reproduction cycle.
The reason they are very active right now is because of the month, we are very, very close to nuptial flight season. Anytime between today and the next few weeks, they and almost every other ants in the entire country will choose one specific day through a mechanism entirely unknown to fly off to mate with other hands. Hundreds of millions of virgin queens and male ants will fly dozens of kilometers to meet and mate in mid air before the queens start founding their new colonies. This only happens once per year and for temperate regions in Europe, America and Asia, it results in one massive blowup of flying ants. If you live in those areas and you see unusually large and weirdly shaped bugs on the ground then, take a closer look. Chances are it's an ant queen looking for a new home and found a new colony.
The swarm of them mating can be so insanely big that our weather radars sometimes pick them up and believe it's rain.

Anyways, gonna post an ant thread soon!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Goons Are Great posted:

Awesome, ants are cool as heck :dance:

I need a new source of ant geek info. I used to watch this guy who had a million ant farms on youtube but at some point poo poo started to get real weird. Ant info = cool. Spoken word christmas songs about ants and strapping household objects to rhinoceros beetles = :wtc:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Fruits of the sea posted:

Awesome, ants are cool as heck :dance:

I need a new source of ant geek info. I used to watch this guy who had a million ant farms on youtube but at some point poo poo started to get real weird. Ant info = cool. Spoken word christmas songs about ants and strapping household objects to rhinoceros beetles = :wtc:

Yeah I never understood why that dude went full nuts on the youtube celebrity part and started doing bug fights and whatever the hell those bug olympics were supposed to be. He of all people, as someone who kept ants for what, 10 years, should know better how to handle insects and pets in general and not force them to do stupid poo poo for clicks. I mean I know that guy is probably legit crazy, but at least I always got the impression he had the best in mind for his animals, but I assume if that becomes your profession based on clicks, it starts to shift.
Anyways, made a thread, feel free to pester me about ant pests there, I did a quick forum search and figured we have filled this thread with far too much ant business lately.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Woohoo!

Thread relevant post: What's a good temperature monitor for laptops these days? AMD GPU and Intel processor if that matters.

I'm doing some troubleshooting and would like somewhat accurate readings. In the past I've tested multiple programs and got different results which wasn't exactly encouraging.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Qubee posted:

Goons Are Great hit me up with the most informative PM about ants and it has made me really want to read about the previous ant saga. So I tracked it down in this thread and it was a cool read. 10/10, would recommend for all your ant related queries.

Glad to be of service

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 8” tablet. It has a built in metal stand that also has a hole for a hook. It’s great for using around the house as a mobile TV. The battery life is phenomenal. It’s also old as poo poo and takes forever to switch between apps, even though I’ve basically stripped it down to running the bare minimum of background services.

Is there anything on the market today with a stand and a hole for a hook?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maybe but couldn’t you just buy a decent tablet and use a case with a stand or a hook instead of tying you down to a single form factor that may not exist anymore?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 8” tablet. It has a built in metal stand that also has a hole for a hook. It’s great for using around the house as a mobile TV. The battery life is phenomenal. It’s also old as poo poo and takes forever to switch between apps, even though I’ve basically stripped it down to running the bare minimum of background services.

Is there anything on the market today with a stand and a hole for a hook?

Surface tablets have a built in stand and it would be a 30 second job to drill a hole in it. Drill like a 1/8" hole first and then expand it to 3/16" or 1/4".

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 2, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Microsoft's Surface tablets do this. They are kinda pricey, so if you just want to use it as a mobile TV/media thingy try and get one used or heavily discounted.

The Surface Pros are real nice and have good build quality but they are total overkill.

E: too slow

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I still think an iPad mini and $20 kickstand case would be a bette options than drilling holes in a $500+ surface tablet

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FCKGW posted:

I still think an iPad mini and $20 kickstand case would be a bette options than drilling holes in a $500+ surface tablet

Yeah I got no argument there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It appears Lenovo make a new version. Not sure it’s worth the $250 for the specs but I’m glad they’re making it.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Lenovo-Yoga-Smart-Tab-with-the-Google-Assistant/p/ZA3V0005US

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Goons Are Great posted:

:dance:

I still have my SimAnt "manual" that was like 1/5 about the game and the rest a primer on Myrmecology.

Myrmecology is the study of ants, you see*.

*I was thinking of a different word but when I looked it up this is what I find :shrug:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I want to buy a bag of colorful marbles. I don't want to play games with them, just... hold and roll them around and feel nostalgic and admire them. Anyone got recs? The top ones on amazon all have mixed reviews. I'm willing to go more expensive if it gets me pretty things.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

credburn posted:

:dance:

I still have my SimAnt "manual" that was like 1/5 about the game and the rest a primer on Myrmecology.

Myrmecology is the study of ants, you see*.

*I was thinking of a different word but when I looked it up this is what I find :shrug:

Antomology

Serious: formicology is no longer the preferred term, but dictionaries will back me up on it

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Both is quite correct, Formica is Latin for ant, Myrmex Greek for ant, since the term Logos also is Greek it's by now streamlined into Myrmecology. Usually people who are nerdy in that matter however are Entomologists (entomos is Greek for insect) anyways that just specialized in ants.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want to buy a bag of colorful marbles. I don't want to play games with them, just... hold and roll them around and feel nostalgic and admire them. Anyone got recs? The top ones on amazon all have mixed reviews. I'm willing to go more expensive if it gets me pretty things.

I would buy old ones on eBay.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there such thing as a wall shelf that is REALLY long, like 80-90 inches wide?

like this but longer

https://www.homedepot.com/p/inPlace-60-in-W-x-4-5-in-D-x-3-5-in-H-Black-MDF-Large-Picture-Ledge-Floating-Wall-Shelf-9084682/205322474

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I remember seeing image or video that demonstrated how smoking mother seems to increase health in both underweight and non-underweight babies. The trick was that normally only unhealthy babies are underweight, meaning that as smoking pushes otherwise healthy babies to underweight category, average health in both categories actually increases while average in whole population decreases.

I can't seem to find this any more nor do I remember what this statistical anomaly is called, so any help on that?

Edit: VVVV: Thanks, it seems that I got too complicated on my search terms, as that Wikipedia article should have been easy to find.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 3, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Low birth‐weight paradox

The general form is Simpson’s paradox.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Qubee posted:

Hey no fair, GaG, we wanna read the most informative stuff about ants, too. :mad: Wikipedia doesn't have any personality.

E: what a terrible mod lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Hey no fair, GaG, we wanna read the most informative stuff about ants, too. :mad: Wikipedia doesn't have any personality.

E: what a terrible mod lol

:smith:
I made a new ant thread just for you for all the exciting ant words!!