Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So I watched that tier list video, and looked up a few things, but there's no real good answer out there.

I play with my 7yo. I tend to play Blaze and he plays Cherry. He literally only uses the punch button. What would be the best character for him to use? Is there a list out there of the best characters to just button mash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

SOR1 Axel, if you're fine with using the retro characters. He's pretty much built entirely around his jab combo. Otherwise I would maybe say Floyd? He's fun to swing hands with.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

yup, sor1 characters are basically few tools, high base damage so go with them

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

RodShaft posted:

I play with my 7yo. I tend to play Blaze and he plays Cherry. He literally only uses the punch button. What would be the best character for him to use?

Cherry, since that's who he likes and he's 7.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Well he'd also like to do well on normal.

He informed me this morning that I was wrong and he plays as Axel. So he tried SOR1 Axel and actually made it to the end of both stages we played. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anyone had success transferring a Gamepass SoR4 save file to Steam? I'd like to go to where there's a larger playerbase for co-op games, but I'd also like to keep my progress and unlocks. Microsoft likes to keep their save files in quadruple nested folders though so I'm not sure where to find it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Update: as a team my 7yo and I are able to now do hard and we've even done the first couple levels of harder. Thanks so much he's loving SOR1 Axel.

(This is as opposed to him dying halfway through levels on normal with Cherry then watching me finish)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Some guy is posting info about the new patch that's apparently in beta. New to this build: Blaze can now jump cancel off the high kick in her normal 5-hit combo! This opens up a lot more potential links for her which the streamer showcased in his run. Another nice change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab6ftzTcHzc

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Okay so unless you're all super-pro, playing 4P is not easy. Got the poo poo slapped out of us on Hard. HARD.

Edit:
The way enemy health scales up with each extra player adds so much more pressure. Any and all SP (or even 2P) tactics just go straight out the loving window.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My first playthrough of the game was on normal 4p and it took us like 2 hours plus with lots of retrying.

My second playthrough was solo and I finished in about 1 hour 30. 4 player is haaaard, it's difficult to coordinate

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Do you keep friendly fire? Cause I found it was a matter of pushing a boss to a wall and wailing on them.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Friendly fire in this genre is an atrocity and why I don't think Final Fight 2P holds up at all.

If it's on, flag that garbage off and go have actual fun.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Oh gently caress.

Here it comes.

I'm up to Y tower on mania.

Managed to clear art gallery with Alex on my first try without boosts tho, so I'm getting the hang of the difficulty level.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Holy poo poo. Stage 12 sucks as Axel. The yellow donovans and the robots plus the fat guys combined with his lack of mobility and range just sucks.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It sucks as everyone. That first inner castle segment is a nightmare. The second floor's a lot easier to deal with, despite all the Big Bens, thanks to the spike ball.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The 'Z'-type Donovans and Robo-bobo leapy guys are a horrible combination for sure.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
#JackieChan #StreetsOfRage2 #RumbleInTheBronx
Jackie Chan dubbed with 'Streets of Rage 2' game sounds! | RetroSFX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnRDPt4j5pw

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

YES. Sad Rhino and I finally beat Normal Arcade. Way to go team Metal Machine Music (Floyd and Cherry). A rank, which I'm sure we can improve on. I was a bit too careful at times since I didn't want to lose all my lives. We did pretty good getting a close call at Barbon and I would eventually lose a life at Shiva and then stupidly lost another one in the Art Museum. After that it was relatively smooth sailing. Sad Rhino was a pro through and through.

We should do that again and I want to try Blaze, though I should practice with her again.

Also, good timing on the invite, I had just beaten a boss in FF8 and was given an immediate prompt to save which I took to then join the fight in SoR4.

Hey 100YrsofAttitude I wanted to post this but I kept forgetting lol. It was really great playing with you those few times and I was genuinely delighted to watch both of us improve so much when we were doing Arcade Normal that third time. loving Metal Machine Music hell yeah! If you see me online give me an invite and let's go gently caress up a bunch of mooks' faces (especially those loving Zs in Y Island).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The 'Z'-type Donovans and Robo-bobo leapy guys are a horrible combination for sure.

This is one of those rare situations where the mob comp is worse on Hardest than Mania because you get two robo guys stomping around instead of 1 robo guy and more Donovans, who are easier to deal with.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Hey 100YrsofAttitude I wanted to post this but I kept forgetting lol. It was really great playing with you those few times and I was genuinely delighted to watch both of us improve so much when we were doing Arcade Normal that third time. loving Metal Machine Music hell yeah! If you see me online give me an invite and let's go gently caress up a bunch of mooks' faces (especially those loving Zs in Y Island).

Definitely. I finally beat FF8 and have moved on to Black Flag, but same goes for me. Nothing like SoR4 co-op to brighten a day.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Switch online is so dead I’m gonna have to double dip on Steam. Plus I’m hoping for mods :pray:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

Switch online is so dead I’m gonna have to double dip on Steam. Plus I’m hoping for mods :pray:

I keep European hours but feel free to invite me out of any game I'm playing. My code is in my post history.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I finally S-Ranked Chinatown. :negative:

The score requirements here are completely insane: 44,800 on Mania just to qualify, which essentially means you have to be flawless on the Galsia/Donovan rooms in addition to landing your OOTW combo at the beginning. So many things that can go wrong on every screen, so many failed attempts! I don't know if the sheer unfairness of this level comes off on video, but I made a capture of my S-Rank run. Too bad the first 30 seconds got cut off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvRsw_f4Ito

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

goddamn just getting an S on Hard took me many MANY retries, not sure what trying it on Hardest and Mania will do for my sanity

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I kinda wish that they'd gone with the implementation of special usage as in SOR3 with regards to that slowly-charging meter that gives you the occasional 'free' special, because between the fact that they no longer break you out of blockstun and the fact that some characters' specials make you take up to 1/5 a health bar of damage means that I'm frequently doing playthroughs (including my Mania playthrough) without touching specials at all. They're just too risky a proposition/not useful enough.

It's still the greatest beat-em-up of all time, through; don't get me wrong.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

I kinda wish that they'd gone with the implementation of special usage as in SOR3 with regards to that slowly-charging meter that gives you the occasional 'free' special, because between the fact that they no longer break you out of blockstun and the fact that some characters' specials make you take up to 1/5 a health bar of damage means that I'm frequently doing playthroughs (including my Mania playthrough) without touching specials at all. They're just too risky a proposition/not useful enough.

The upcoming patch allows you to break out of hitstun with your defensive special as well as cancel a knockdown into an air special as an anti-juggle manouver.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You 100% can't be stingy with specials on Mania. You have to use them, and you can't get hit. Good luck!

Knocked out Underground yesterday, only Y Tower and Y Island left. :whitewater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Peyq4kv-E

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Breetai posted:

I think it's the opposite to be honest. Specials exist to give you ways to avoid damage, even if it's just clearing enemies out or assuring a particularly annoying enemy dies. Using them wisely gives you a lot more flexibility and if you're worried about using them you'll end up taking a lot of damage you could have avoided.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

On higher difficulties it's better to imagine your specials as staggered damage that you would have taken from enemies and food as a damage reset button. Putting all those on a cooldown would basically make Mania impossible.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

On higher difficulties it's better to imagine your specials as staggered damage that you would have taken from enemies and food as a damage reset button. Putting all those on a cooldown would basically make Mania impossible.

Oh, by all means keep the ability to heal the damage back by hitting people. Just make it so that using specials sparingly doesn't all of a sudden make a single errant Galsia jab remove a quarter of your health.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Breetai posted:

Oh, by all means keep the ability to heal the damage back by hitting people. Just make it so that using specials sparingly doesn't all of a sudden make a single errant Galsia jab remove a quarter of your health.

That’s Galsia’s only job, though. How could you do this to him?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kiranamos posted:

That’s Galsia’s only job, though. How could you do this to him?

Galsia's job involves a knife and an oversized hitbox. 🙃

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Breetai posted:

Galsia's job involves a knife and an oversized hitbox. 🙃
Utterly loving infuriating hitbox that doesn't match any other SoR game at all. "Haha try to hit me n-" -hit by mere existence of knife within 5ft-

Don't get me wrong I love SoR4 but the oversized hitbox on a Knife Galsia is nothing short of absolute loving dogshit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What the gently caress is this thread title? That's not a turkey, it's a chicken. Even when I play at my friends' houses and the chicken is a burger it's a chicken. "Eat the chicken" I cry!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

New video about potential buffs to Axel--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyc0hqt9-oQ

- Charge attack is better
- Grand Upper travels farther, does more damage, OTG, third hit into it can be cancelled
- neutral special OTGs and costs a bit less health
- air special recovery is better
- forward special has better hitbox
- walkspeed a bit better

If they keep most of these changes it really sounds like he'll be on par with the other 4 and more fun to play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

New video about potential buffs to Axel--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyc0hqt9-oQ

- Charge attack is better
- Grand Upper travels farther, does more damage, OTG, third hit into it can be cancelled
- neutral special OTGs and costs a bit less health
- air special recovery is better
- forward special has better hitbox
- walkspeed a bit better

If they keep most of these changes it really sounds like he'll be on par with the other 4 and more fun to play.

Fix the grand upper and I'm there. I still enjoy playing him but the difference really starts to show when my mate of similar skill level comes over and one of us plays Axel. The Axel player always tries their heart out to prove he's good, but is left in the dust.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Otg?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Off the ground apparently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

OTG means On The Ground and refers to moves that can hit enemies while in a grounded state, like Blaze's blitz attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JBP posted:

What the gently caress is this thread title? That's not a turkey, it's a chicken. Even when I play at my friends' houses and the chicken is a burger it's a chicken. "Eat the chicken" I cry!

It came from a Reddit post about upcoming changes to the game.