Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Joke option: MGEX G-Saviour.
I would love a kit of the G3-Saviour from the PS2 game tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

I wonder if the G-Else was released partially to test the claimed interest.

There's a lot of people saying they want a G-Self, but the kits only sold okay at best, the show's ratings were better than expected for the timeslot, but not amazing, the DVD sales were worse than IBO season 1 or Build Fighters, but better than their sequels, and in general (as best I can tell without the movie box office numbers), it falls into an area where nobody at Bandai can know how it sells, while suspecting it's not going to be worth the investment of a full Master Grade.

A Build Fighter kit is a good way to see how much people like the design independent of the show context.

The G-Else was a bad resdesign built on the bad already existing G-Self HG. From a side story manga to one of those Build Fighters sequels. The sales of the G-Else would not be representative of much.

Although we know at least that they were good enough to get a P-Bandai color variant.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Unicorn is good, and I'm glad that the line's starting off with it instead of yet another loving RX-78, or god forbid some weird bulbous monstrosity.

Me too :buddy: I just finished snap fitting together the Banshee Ver Ka and it really grew on me. Can't wait for my setter to come in so I can affix the several dozen freakin waterslides!!!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Marx Headroom posted:

Me too :buddy: I just finished snap fitting together the Banshee Ver Ka and it really grew on me. Can't wait for my setter to come in so I can affix the several dozen freakin waterslides!!!

That are some awesome shots!

Looking really forward to building my Banshee now. Thanks! 😊

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That's some good banshee.

Now take it a step further and invest in some uv lights. They look great on the unicorn frames. In conjunction with that pose and angle in the first shot it'd be really cool and menacing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

this new Ultraman kit is insanely badass

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I'm sure it's a really simple kit all things considered but I'm having a ton of fun putting the Shia QAN[T] together. It feels a lot more complex and interesting to assemble compared to the other kits I've done so far.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm building the MG QAN[T] and my non-gundams friends are amazed that 1) it glows 2) it's very posable

I'm not-so-secretly hoping that once I finish, they will become enamored enough to buy their own kits so I have more people to build with. :hmmyes:

Sykic posted:

I'm sure it's a really simple kit all things considered but I'm having a ton of fun putting the Shia QAN[T] together. It feels a lot more complex and interesting to assemble compared to the other kits I've done so far.

I haven't done that specific kit, but QAN[T]s in general have that wacky shield/backpack thing and a ton of clear plastic bullshit to deal with. That alone can make it seem more complex than other kits in the same grade/scale.

(shiny clear plastic bullshit is my favorite part)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Qant is really well balanced as well as poseable. It can get some very stable poses while being on only one foot

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I sent a coworker and his kid a couple of SDCS kits (char's zaku and a ground gundam) along with one of those tamiya starter tool kits and the kid's really into it. Gotta get em addicted while they're young.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
These build diver kits are just out of a 7 year old's ability to cut from the sprue, but we figured out most of the directions without too many problems. She liked the stickers a lot.

https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1278808094622056453?s=21

https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1278808355637735431?s=21

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

In case you want to spend extra for a special box, MGEX Unicorn special box edition went up on PB today.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I finished weathering my Hello Kitty and made a dumb trendy video of it for my instagram/twitter

https://twitter.com/nullofundefined/status/1278873613169332224?s=20

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Null of Undefined posted:

I finished weathering my Hello Kitty and made a dumb trendy video of it for my instagram/twitter

I like the heavy weathering, very 3A "too dirty". Overall it works.

I have one minor area that keeps grabbing my attention. The weathering scale feels inconsistent. It's very heavy industry neglect on the back of the head, and the spalling / pitting on the v-fin feels hand-tool.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Vaporware posted:

I like the heavy weathering, very 3A "too dirty". Overall it works.

I have one minor area that keeps grabbing my attention. The weathering scale feels inconsistent. It's very heavy industry neglect on the back of the head, and the spalling / pitting on the v-fin feels hand-tool.

good critique, thanks. I did the core of the weathering with heavy chipping fluid and it was really hard to control. I'll probably only use it for color variation in the future and go back to hand/sponge chipping.

Edit: the scale I was going for was "5 apples high", so canon kitty height.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 3, 2020

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Edit: the scale I was going for was "5 apples high", so canon kitty height.

Oh god another fiver, Watch some Hello Kitty Paradise and respect the original source material. the only TRUE scale is 3 apples tall.

Actually regarding the chipping fluids, I'd lean in harder on another large surface project like kitty and just see if it's a medium mismatch or something like that which is messing up the control. It's good to have something other than hairspray and rock salt in the toolbox, and I haven't played with chipping method yet, so I'd be interested in your results.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Vaporware posted:

Oh god another fiver, Watch some Hello Kitty Paradise and respect the original source material. the only TRUE scale is 3 apples tall.

Actually regarding the chipping fluids, I'd lean in harder on another large surface project like kitty and just see if it's a medium mismatch or something like that which is messing up the control. It's good to have something other than hairspray and rock salt in the toolbox, and I haven't played with chipping method yet, so I'd be interested in your results.

I'm sure if I worked at it hard enough I could get it working well. Tons of people are really successful with it, it was just my first time using it like this, so I was playing around a little. I'll try it again next time I do a weathered kit.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

That is not something I would have done, but it sure is unique and creative. Good job! :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Oh god I have such a strong aversion to rusty things like that and Kitty is legit triggering.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Bees on Wheat posted:

Oh god I have such a strong aversion to rusty things like that and Kitty is legit triggering.

When I was a kid and learned about tetnus I would freak out at the sight of rust cuz I thought I'd get lockjaw. I guess I've overcome that. I was also afraid of windex because it had chemicals in it and I didn't know what that meant.

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

So what do y'all recommend for topcoating metallic paints? I'm almost done with the HG Efreet Schneid and I have no idea what topcoat to use for the heat darts.

Painted with gloss aluminum.

Aand some WIP shots! Had this RG Tallgeese in my backlog for a long time but I also stupidly bought the TV color version - so now I got 2 Tallgeese kits.
I'm not too fond of the EW colors so currently making the extra kit into a TG II (that head crest is a pain in the rear end to scratch build and it still looks shoddy :argh:)

Last completed kit.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

BattleRobit posted:

So what do y'all recommend for topcoating metallic paints? I'm almost done with the HG Efreet Schneid and I have no idea what topcoat to use for the heat darts.

Future or Alclad aqua gloss.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Now take it a step further and invest in some uv lights

Thanks! Black lights should be fine right?

Also can anyone recommend me LEDs I can put in an MG head? I heard the Bandai ones are awful.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Bill Posters posted:

Future or Alclad aqua gloss.

Yes. And if you love the look right now run a test spoon to make sure the luster won't change. Some metallics change badly.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Build Fighters was a mistake. :shepspends:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Thanks! Black lights should be fine right?

Also can anyone recommend me LEDs I can put in an MG head? I heard the Bandai ones are awful.

Yeah, blacklights work great. I lost my example image in a phone swap a few years back but this works:

It really makes it pop.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Sykic posted:

Have the Denial in there is just :kiss:

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Give me GM Z'Gok or give me death.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Injuryprone posted:

Give me MG Z'Gok-E

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sykic posted:

I feel like there should be a link to the first episode of Build Fighters in the thread OP :unsmigghh:.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Not gonna lie, Build Fighters is how I got back into the hobby after college.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, blacklights work great. I lost my example image in a phone swap a few years back but this works:

:getin: this is gonna rule

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Azubah posted:

Not gonna lie, Build Fighters is how I got back into the hobby after college.

Same here

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Started building the MG Guncannon and boy it's uh...

old

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Newtype is having a sale on HG kits this weekend. It's 15% off if you buy 3, or 20% off if you buy 5+. Unfortunately, half the stuff I wanted was sold out already, but that's probably for the best because it did not stop me from filling my cart. :sigh:

They also have 30% kits with damaged packaging, if there's anything left in stock. (hint: there likely isn't)

When I was a kid and learned about tetnus I would freak out at the sight of rust cuz I thought I'd get lockjaw. I guess I've overcome that. I was also afraid of windex because it had chemicals in it and I didn't know what that meant.

Yeah I don't know why I feel like that, I just do. I think it's the texture. Kid me was afraid of a lot of dumb things. Adult me is afraid of slightly fewer dumb things. :shobon:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Okay hands up ! Who wanted another Unicorn Gundam ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jesDcNYd0s

MG-EX grade is now a thing.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I'm still amazed at how poseable a HG kit from 2006 can be.

A modern remake of the Strike Noir could be really cool.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sykic posted:

hello fellow new backlogger

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The Messer has just been released, HLJ previously said it wouldn't be until the end of the month. Looking forward to that one, Gunpla Club is doing a UC grunt/custom group build so I'm going to mess(er) around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mllaneza posted:

Okay hands up ! Who wanted another Unicorn Gundam ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jesDcNYd0s

MG-EX grade is now a thing.

I wasn't but honestly that trailer has me kinda hype.

Although it bugs me that they make a big deal out of being able to recreate scenes from the show when all I've wanted from a Unicorn Gundam kit for the past 8 years is a Garencieres hull base and a Nahel Argama hook accessory.