Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have a degree in political science so Hamilton was basically made to drive me loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have the barest minimum of good taste so Hamilton was basically made to drive me loving insane.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Sirens was another show that worked because the cast was pretty great.

drat I miss Sirens. The cast really had great chemistry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Graceland had a strong first season but then they had to figure out what exactly they wanted to do with Daniel Sunjata and their answer was to kind of retcon/rehab him so he wasn't such a bad guy.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

hope and vaseline posted:

drat I miss Sirens. The cast really had great chemistry.

:rip: Bill Nunn, he was a key part of that show and died soon after the second season ended.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Ah yes. I, too, am an intellectual who dislikes Hamilton The Musical. :hmmyes:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ah yes. I, too, am an intellectual who dislikes Hamilton The Musical. :hmmyes:

Welcome brother

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be honest I just think the songs are just bad

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not that familiar with musical theater but Hamilton is way too long. Satisfied, Battle of Yorktown, and Schuyler SIsters are banging tunes but I just wanted it to end around halfway through. My mom made me see The Nutcracker ballet when I was a kid and I wanted to die and Hamilton is even longer. If I saw it live I'd leave during the intermission.

I’m not big on musicals and Hamilton is aggressively mediocre, but ~2.5-3 hours with intermission is a fairly average length.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Anyone wanna take bets on how long Southern Survival is on air before Netflix takes it down and issues an apology for some stupid rear end comment from a cast member?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never saw the show. I was into the soundtrack for a minute. There's a few songs in my shuffle. I get a lot of the political/moral issues people have with it or LMM. I imagine it probably is overrated compared to other shows given the amount of cultural focus it got. LMM isn't a very good rapper but like, I ain't someone who puts showtunes on my playlist. I'll probably check it out whenever I subscribe to Disney+. I'm not subscribing for it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like, I don't enjoy Hamilton personally, but I get why it was so successful. Other than LMM it has an amazing cast, and while I personally find the music to be overall bad, it's probably very easy listening for those who don't like showtunes or rap, tbh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm truly sad that neither of you enjoyed it, but I'm also wondering if you were predisposed to hate it because you hate musicals (as a surprising amount of people do).

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about esp over the years it’s that she automatically hates anything more than one person has told her is good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been watching Curb and enjoying it for the most part, but between the season I'm on now (8) and the last one, Larry has said the slur for trans people, said the N word, Michael Richards was on a couple years after he called that guy the N word, and, in the episode I'm on now, both he and Rosie O'Donnell said they hate bisexuals :yikes:

This has not aged well. 2011 was a real poo poo time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
COMPLETELY UNRELATED, but I thought this was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4U_lfgPac

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have to ask: do you both dislike musical theater in general? Because I just can't see how anyone who appreciates musicals could dislike Hamilton. It's kind of the pinnacle, especially if you're into the craft of songwriting, or American history, or hip hop -- all things I love.

We saw it live on Broadway last year, and it's easily my favorite musical ever, but I've also seen close around 20 musicals over the years, between local theater, touring productions, and a handful of Broadway shows. I can barely imagine how great it's going to be to finally see it with the original cast.

I'm truly sad that neither of you enjoyed it, but I'm also wondering if you were predisposed to hate it because you hate musicals (as a surprising amount of people do).

Saw it today for the first time. Never even listened to the soundtrack before now.

The show tunes are good, especially the King George ones.

The raps are loving garbage. Like embarrassingly bad. All the poo poo that would come out in normal exposition gets shoved into a rap and it sounds like something a white, 50-year-old history teacher would write to jazz up his senior class.

It's pretty much a decent musical with a book report stapled to it. The opening song is like someone set a Wikipedia page to music.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

COMPLETELY UNRELATED, but I thought this was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4U_lfgPac

Titanic owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Musicals are the anime of theater

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In a good way

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Escobarbarian posted:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about esp over the years it’s that she automatically hates anything more than one person has told her is good

Hey esp, sunmi is good >=)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Hey esp, sunmi is good >=)

wow, wrong

good is not a strong enough word to describe how much 4d sunmi owns

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

alright folks here's some real hot content: after I saw Hamilton and heard they were making a movie version I decided to fantasy cast the whole thing with rappers/singers. I found this document, untouched since the middle of 2016, for your amusement:

the one thing I have to put into context is that this is before Kanye's Trumpening. Also while I won't defend all of these choices I would absolutely still kill to see Bey/Alicia/Zendaya sing all of the Schuyler Sisters' songs.

edit: actually I'll also defend Drake as Aaron "if you stand for nothing then what will you fall for" Burr and Chuck D as George Washington.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

esperterra posted:

wow, wrong

good is not a strong enough word to describe how much 4d sunmi owns

Gah, you have outwitted me

And I get irrationaly annoyed at how 'fantasy' castings are always either super famous or super popular. There's one I saw going around about fantasy casting for harry potter's dad and his friends: Dr who, Loki, Sherlock, and Bilbo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hamilton is the worst.

But still not as bad as Grease.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've never had much interest in Hamilton because I have a difficult time parsing song lyrics in real time unless they're slow or simplistic—like most musicals tend to be. But the snippets I've heard of Hamilton sound like I'd have to put in a bit of work to not get lost and I'm not nearly interested enough in the subject matter to do so.

However, it's popularity with millennials/gen X doesn't surprise me at all because most of us grew up with Schoolhouse Rock in the classroom, and Hamilton just looks like a prestige version of that. Seems to me that a lot of the folks who loathe it would probably be a lot more forgiving if they just thought of it through that lens.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People don’t talk enough about how big chunks of Hamilton literally turned into EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY, and it’s just excruciating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife is the whitest girl ever and doesn't care for most hip hop or rap but she fuckin loves Hamilton!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've pretty much decided that anyone who stans for Hamilton is going to be the most droll person I've ever met.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I've pretty much decided that anyone who stans for Hamilton is going to be the most droll person I've ever met.

Do you mean dull? Because it sounds like you mean dull and are calling them funny and I'm having a hard time parsing the sentence.

EL BROMANCE posted:

People don’t talk enough about how big chunks of Hamilton literally turned into EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY, and it’s just excruciating.

When that first turned up I said "Oh, what the fuuuck" aloud. Of course it was going to happen but it was still somehow an unpleasant surprise when it did.

I don't think I would have hated Hamilton as much if it wasn't so relentlessly popular, I'll admit it. But when it's hyped up for ages and ages and ages and is then... that... the gap between expectations and reality is just that much harsher.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s like two songs out of 50 haha

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

precision posted:

Musicals are the anime of theater

This post is making me wish this thread could discover Takarazuka shows now

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s like two songs out of 50 haha

Most of the other 50 are just bad, those ones are beyond terrible.

This excludes the regular musical numbers, those are perfectly fine.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Even if Judge isn't an outright chud he still does a lot of "those damned hippies are just lazy and will sell out as soon as they are given an opportunity" running through his stuff which tells you he's never met a real hippie and he honestly thinks that the 1960s conservative caricature is 100% true. See basically any episode of King of the Hill where Hank interacts with one. Even in episodes where he agrees with them (like the co-op episode) they're still portrayed as dumb and selfish, lacking the moral fortitude of real Americans like Hank Rutherford Hill.

I dont know, Ive been watching Legends From the Tour Bus (aka my fav show of 2020) and he tears into the hypocrisy of the media treating rap like a crime blotter when every real country star accidentally discharged a gun at some point. That warmed my heart.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I've been on a streak of finishing shows lately. Finally finished Mr Robot last week. Next up on the list of unfinished projects: Californication. Finished Season 6 yesterday.

All I know about that show is there is an large absurd amount of too young women that Duchovny sleeps with in the show. Any hooks for it other than that?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: actually I'll also defend Drake as Aaron "if you stand for nothing then what will you fall for" Burr and Chuck D as George Washington.
"Chuck D dies on stage of anger induced aneurysm after being forced to play white slave owner"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Hamilton praise/backlash/backlash to the backlash already played out four years ago so I don't really have anything to add about it but Lin-Manuel Miranda crossover success as a result has been awful. Him as Lee Scoresby in His Dark Materials was just clunker after clunker, him delivering lines meant for a fast-talking cowboy trickster with awkward theater kid desperation didn't work at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ8vWvctiMQ&t=94s

Plus as someone who used to be a big fan of the McElroy brothers I feel like him becoming buddies with them and exposing them to his infantile positivity grift is at least partially responsible for their comedy going off of a cliff over the past couple years.

e. https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1279466466270560256

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 4, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Do you mean dull? Because it sounds like you mean dull and are calling them funny and I'm having a hard time parsing the sentence.

Yes. For some reason, all these years, I had thought droll was a fancy term for dull :negative:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aArqS8RHWT0

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Moana is pretty good, but I'm not really interested in Hamilton despite liking some musicals. I think I prefer older ones like Hello, Dolly and Once Upon A Mattress since those are the ones we did in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm glad we all agree that Grease is the goddamned worst.