Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Maximum Vershitbin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

the paradigm shift posted:

rbr told to gently caress off

skipped a couple of unimportant pages

Never underestimate how much this triggers quid

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

You just know the FIA had this prewritten and ready to go.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Did Merc bring DAS-equipped cars to Austria?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

GramCracker posted:

Never underestimate how much this triggers quid

It’s dumb that they didn’t define what the gently caress steering is which makes the whole regulation void but they didn’t so it’s void 🤷🏼‍♂️

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

Did Merc bring DAS-equipped cars to Austria?

yeah both bottas and lewis used it in practice so far

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the fia letting mercedes cheat? im shocked!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The entire sport of f1 is trying to legally cheat via loopholes, if you don’t embrace this you’re doing it wrong

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

the corona quid posted:

It’s dumb that they didn’t define what the gently caress steering is which makes the whole regulation void but they didn’t so it’s void 🤷🏼‍♂️

See:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The entire sport of f1 is trying to legally cheat via loopholes, if you don’t embrace this you’re doing it wrong

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Typically when someone is cheating via a loophole, they get told "oh how funny and convenient you read it that way, no, clearly that's not right, stop doing that".
It's pretty dumb for them to say "lol I guess we didn't actually say what steering is, so you can cheat until we define it.... Next year".

The argument against allowing it is always the same simple logic. Once one team is doing the dumb thing, they'll all have to develop the same dumb thing (a financial burden) and then everyone is on equal footing again.

It's incredibly moronic that in a year emphasizing upcoming budget caps, and with work hampered by mandatory social distancing rules, they've said "you now all need to go and make this dumb loophole work on your car for the next 8ish races, because we, the governing body of a Motorsport, never actually thought to write down what steering means"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It is the determination of the stewards that driver number 44, Lewis Hamilton, is blessed and still rises

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

#blessed

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Khablam posted:

Typically when someone is cheating via a loophole, they get told "oh how funny and convenient you read it that way, no, clearly that's not right, stop doing that".
It's pretty dumb for them to say "lol I guess we didn't actually say what steering is, so you can cheat until we define it.... Next year".

The argument against allowing it is always the same simple logic. Once one team is doing the dumb thing, they'll all have to develop the same dumb thing (a financial burden) and then everyone is on equal footing again.

It's incredibly moronic that in a year emphasizing upcoming budget caps, and with work hampered by mandatory social distancing rules, they've said "you now all need to go and make this dumb loophole work on your car for the next 8ish races, because we, the governing body of a Motorsport, never actually thought to write down what steering means"

Pretty much this. It’s also why while I hope the new rules work I’m ridiculously skeptical.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Khablam posted:

They also outright admitted that changing the toe angle directly affects the suspension but then went "but we're not going to call you out on that."

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

They also outright admitted that changing the toe angle directly affects the suspension but then went "but we're not going to call you out on that."

I said before that moving the steering rack is the very definition of changing the steering. But if they’re too god drat stupid to actually define that then Mercedes deserves it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It is the determination of the stewards that driver number 44, Lewis Hamilton, is blessed and still rises

Sounds like a good call on the Stewards’ part

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

lol at tombazis getting to be the tech delegate for that one

double lol that liuzzi got a win in 2020 f1

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
formula 1 is bad

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

the corona quid posted:

I said before that moving the steering rack is the very definition of changing the steering. But if they’re too god drat stupid to actually define that then Mercedes deserves it.

Changing the toe angle of the wheel has traditionally always been linked with tuning the suspension. It's not the method of how they did it that is the issue here, it's the end result.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Death to racing point

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

paul_soccer12 posted:

Death to racing point

This, but Mercedes

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Zeta Acosta posted:

the fia letting mercedes cheat? im shocked!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ferrari Impeding Association

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I wish the stewards had been all drivers the red bull programme had hosed off after a couple of seasons and Mark Webber.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Christian Horner is telling Sky that Red Bull protested the Mercedes DAS so everybody could have clarity on the legality of the system, how very kind of them

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Williams still doing top work then

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Croc posted:

I wish the stewards had been all drivers the red bull programme had hosed off after a couple of seasons and Mark Webber.

What

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sorry, my first attempt at a markov bot.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Lmao @ Latifi already binning it

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Fighting for third with loving Stroll Grand Prix Racing. Just loving cancel the season and ban Ferrari from motorsport.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The stewards' ruling is very clear in explaining that DAS is a steering system and steering systems must be exempt from the rules around moveable aero and suspension changes because otherwise steering would be illegal, which is ridiculous. The exact thing that we concluded would be the case in testing. It's not complicated and it's not cheating to find a loophole.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

But I don't WANT Mercedes to be the best :qq:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Where do I create a fantasy team? What site?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm ready for :lewis: to qualify on pole.

And for McLaren to make q3

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Custard Undies posted:

And for McLaren to make q3

:hmmyes:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

But I don't WANT Mercedes to be the best :qq:
They're all going to just copy the simple design, until they're told it's not steering anymore.
It's super dumb. No one gets an advantage.

If I was an F1 team principal this weekend, I'd tie a string from the DRS flap to the steering wheel, so drivers can use it on every straight. I'd claim that if I used this in a corner, it would cause "car rotation" and is therefore steering. As all steering is allowed even if it violates other rules, this is fine!

This is exactly how dumb DAS is.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Toto’s face shield is an interesting choice.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I miss the days of Stroll failing to make it out of Q1 every race weekend.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Goddamn the racing point car is fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Stroll driver of the day