Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MRC48B posted:

FDR gave a speech at the dedication of rushmore.

In it, he expressed the hope that their descendants would give them "the benefit of the doubt"

No more benefit. We have no more doubts.

FDR also nailed the first keel plate into the USS Arizona in 1914.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CBJSprague24 posted:

Get ready for KIM AND DON'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE!

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1279236111680917504

driving back to DC from western South Dakota should be a real treat

25 hours through core Trump support terrain + holiday weekend traffic just to keep it interesting

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

US Berder Patrol posted:

25 hours through core Trump support terrain + holiday weekend traffic just to keep it interesting

Maybe they'll stop and rent a private plane. Nothing bad has ever happened to a President's namesake son while flying.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

US Berder Patrol posted:

They should just rent a lodge for 14 days in that area until she's good. Otherwise she's going to be exposing others while stopping for food/restrooms/hotels (I doubt they are driving continuously).

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
You must be confusing them with people who would voluntarily inconvenience themselves for two weeks for the sake of others

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1279240413090643970

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The most horrifying part of that is the phrase "Hamptons insider", which sounds like something you should be hauled before a people's tribunal for calling yourself.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

It's about to start and they've already tripped on their collective dick.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1279235535157055488

How do these dumb motherfuckers keep not getting the disease?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
What I got from that Guilfoyle Corona story is that Don Jr traveled to South Dakota and didn’t get to see his dad in person.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

I live in Western SD, Berder Patrol is right on: this is chud country through and through. I agree too, that the black hills aren't all that, Wyoming and Colorado are way more stunning. The entire stunt was a shitshow.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

mlmp08 posted:

What I got from that Guilfoyle Corona story is that Don Jr traveled to South Dakota and didn’t get to see his dad in person.

Yeah, I love that nobody doubts that part of the story.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

I mean, it seems equally possible to me that he did and they're just lying and praying Trump doesn't come down with coronavirus, because they know he'd probably melt down with cabin fever and start pushing buttons on the nuclear football around day 8 of a 14-day West Wing self-quarantine.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Porfiriato posted:

I mean, it seems equally possible to me that he did and they're just lying and praying Trump doesn't come down with coronavirus, because they know he'd probably melt down with cabin fever and start pushing buttons on the nuclear football around day 8 of a 14-day West Wing self-quarantine.

Or he'll insist that he's fine even after the coronona psychosis kicks in and he tries to strangle Eric.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That does sound fine though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

News stories going around about testing errors and lower rate of death that thought;

Covid- First Wave, part 2 is gonna be dope.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
Covid Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

Reviews said it has more death with less reporting. Decent for a summer blockbuster but very pedestrian and won't make it to the awards.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

News stories going around about testing errors and lower rate of death that thought;

Covid- First Wave, part 2 is gonna be dope.

They're not really wrong, as hospitalization rates and death rates are down compared to where they were earlier. What we don't know is that if it's a function of the cases now skewing younger or if it's a function of us knowing how to treat COVID better and prevent deaths.

The problem though is that when you're pumping out numbers like these, it kind of gets irrelevant when deaths are a lagging indicator.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1279432366197538816?s=19

And of course, Florida and travel isn't shut down, so there's going to be a fuckload of carriers getting exported from Florida to all over.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s irresponsible and incredibly misleading to try to identify trends from the national statistics. There’s no single national outbreak and no single national response. Do it locally or don’t do it at all, imo.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

It's this.

Fallom posted:

It’s irresponsible and incredibly misleading to try to identify trends from the national statistics. There’s no single national outbreak and no single national response. Do it locally or don’t do it at all, imo.

A good Twitter thread about the phenomenon of how inappropriate aggregation of local data to a national level causes hospitalization and death rates to appear to decline, while positive rates are increasing.

https://twitter.com/mbeckett/status/1278750660771504128

To quote that thread, “We are about to have dozens of NYCs around the country. The next 8 weeks are going to brutal, no matter what we do. ICUs overflowing, ventilators rationed, hundreds of thousands of deaths.”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Right, “knowing how to treat covid better” only matters in states that didn’t let their hospitals get overwhelmed. The ones that did might as well be treating people in February because they won’t have the luxury of giving patients 4 weeks of one-on-one therapy in a private room.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the earlier treatment begins, the better off you are.

most Americans are also absolutely terrified of the expense of treatment and will avoid seeking it.

Fs in chat, boys

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

I hear you. I work out here and make the drive on I-90 to Ohio once a year at least. South Dakota and Southern Minnesota are just wastelands, like the Steppe but not as exciting, but with the same common clay of the new west stereotypes. Wisconsin as least has Spotted Cow beer, which is pretty good.

Having lived with this stupid rally being planned I will echo what you said about it being chud-central. It is. They even have one of those nauseating trump shops that never seems to have any business. Rapid City's main claim to fame is the president statues but that's gonna get ruined when they have to find somebody to make one of Donnie.

The Governor, Krisiti Noem is such a goddamn moron. I call her Palin of the plains because she's really not smart. When she won the House she joked about needed to read a book on Civics. Some loving college gave her college credit for her term in Congress. Just to show you how enlightened this place is, the local news called that House race "the battle of the babes" because it was between two reasonably attractive women.

This morning she said that taking down Confederate statues is in violation of the founding fathers. I can't even begin to parse what the gently caress she meant. The current House rep, a little dweeb named Dusty Rhodes Johnson proposed a Congressional bill to "protect Mount Rushmore". The loving mountain ain't going anywhere, ever.

Every time somebody would come visit they wanted to go to Mount Rushmore. We'd take them, because we're nice people. It's $10 to park (parking is privatized so you're not supporting the NPS) and it's about a 30 minute visit. There is a patriotic soda machine in the men's room, which is worth a picture. Maybe I'm just plain not very American anymore but I despise that loving Mountain. Crazy Horse is just as bad, it's owned by a 100% Polish-American family and milks the poo poo out of tourists for "native Americans".

If anybody ever comes out here, hit me up. There is a pretty decent craft brewery scene, some decent wineries, and six hours away the Little Big Horn Battlefield, which is always worth a visit. Plus we can go visit the statue of Colonel Sam Sturgis, CO of the 7th Cavalry before, during, and after the Battle.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Burning Beard posted:

I hear you. I work out here and make the drive on I-90 to Ohio once a year at least. South Dakota and Southern Minnesota are just wastelands, like the Steppe but not as exciting, but with the same common clay of the new west stereotypes. Wisconsin as least has Spotted Cow beer, which is pretty good.

Having lived with this stupid rally being planned I will echo what you said about it being chud-central. It is. They even have one of those nauseating trump shops that never seems to have any business. Rapid City's main claim to fame is the president statues but that's gonna get ruined when they have to find somebody to make one of Donnie.

The Governor, Krisiti Noem is such a goddamn moron. I call her Palin of the plains because she's really not smart. When she won the House she joked about needed to read a book on Civics. Some loving college gave her college credit for her term in Congress. Just to show you how enlightened this place is, the local news called that House race "the battle of the babes" because it was between two reasonably attractive women.

This morning she said that taking down Confederate statues is in violation of the founding fathers. I can't even begin to parse what the gently caress she meant. The current House rep, a little dweeb named Dusty Rhodes Johnson proposed a Congressional bill to "protect Mount Rushmore". The loving mountain ain't going anywhere, ever.

Every time somebody would come visit they wanted to go to Mount Rushmore. We'd take them, because we're nice people. It's $10 to park (parking is privatized so you're not supporting the NPS) and it's about a 30 minute visit. There is a patriotic soda machine in the men's room, which is worth a picture. Maybe I'm just plain not very American anymore but I despise that loving Mountain. Crazy Horse is just as bad, it's owned by a 100% Polish-American family and milks the poo poo out of tourists for "native Americans".

If anybody ever comes out here, hit me up. There is a pretty decent craft brewery scene, some decent wineries, and six hours away the Little Big Horn Battlefield, which is always worth a visit. Plus we can go visit the statue of Colonel Sam Sturgis, CO of the 7th Cavalry before, during, and after the Battle.

My dad's family is from New Effington, I know exactly what you're talking about. Why the gently caress South Dakota would support Confederate monuments is beyond me.

And Wall Drug is 10x better then Mount Rushmore. :colbert:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I know a few dudes who drool over your gov, because she believes in "constitutional carry."

I still don't know exactly what that is, but same dudes have grand kids, even though they are in their early 40's, so maybe I'm better off not knowing.

SD is a gorgeous state, too bad it's full of goddamn morons

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Burning Beard posted:

As one of those drat tourists who was driving through SD, I will say Little Big Horn Battlefield was a hell of a lot more moving and meaningful to me than Mt. Rushmore. I especially appreciated the memorial they put up for the native soldiers who fought, and how they laid it all out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bengy81 posted:

I know a few dudes who drool over your gov, because she believes in "constitutional carry."

I still don't know exactly what that is, but same dudes have grand kids, even though they are in their early 40's, so maybe I'm better off not knowing.

2a stuff that basically means everyone can concealed carry with no additional permit required if they don't fall in one of the typical "can't have a gun at all" categories.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bengy81 posted:

Constitutional carry probably refers to the fact that we have the right to bear arms enshrined in our constitution.

In an entirely unrelated note we happen to have a huge amount of shootings.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
there is a subset of our population that is utterly terrified of being the victim of crime, any crime, at every moment of the day. these people also don't wear masks and tell people not to live in fear.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

BigDave posted:

My dad's family is from New Effington, I know exactly what you're talking about. Why the gently caress South Dakota would support Confederate monuments is beyond me.

And Wall Drug is 10x better then Mount Rushmore. :colbert:

Wall Drug is 10x better! It's stupid tourist fun from a generation ago. Mount Rushmore is boring, even the ice cream sucks.

And The Little Big Horn is just awesome. It's basically untouched and very, very... what's a good word? Solemn, that works. I lead the local Army Staff rides on it so I am going in September again. It does not get old or tired to me, that battlefield is a very special place for both sides. If you go, go find Marc Reno's grave in the national cemetery. He was Custer's XO. There's quite a few 7th troopers there. The native monuments are very nice as well as the memorial to the 7th's horses. If any of you guys want, PM me and I'll give you my staff ride guide I wrote. I'm pretty proud of it. Trying to get it published right now (Army passed on it, for reasons I'll avoid right now).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bengy81 posted:

I still don't know exactly what that is,

Unless you're in Vermont, 'constitutional carry' is a dumbass slogan. As Midjack said, it's a legislature deciding to deregulate carrying firearms. But I guess constitutional sounds more founding father-y.
As for it being a thing for 40 year olds, not really. Except for Vermont, which has always respected those rights, unlicenced carry laws are mostly under 5 years old, and all except Alaska's are less than 10 years old, (AK's is 17)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My most memorable experience of Wall was standing outside the motel and a car driving by around midnight blaring "Hootchie Mama", which was also better then Mt. Rushmore.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Wall Drug has free ice water. And the best ice cream ever.

WHERE THE HELL IS WALL DRUG?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bored As gently caress posted:

Wall Drug has free ice water. And the best ice cream ever.

WHERE THE HELL IS WALL DRUG?

Wall, South Dakota! :rolleye:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

BigDave posted:

Wall, South Dakota! :rolleye:

I love the 600 miles of billboards. It's legit genius marketing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Next Walldrug, 24,900 miles

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

This all just made me think of South of the Border

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bored As gently caress posted:

I love the 600 miles of billboards. It's legit genius marketing.

well as a matter of fact I have sausage a place

sharknado slashfic posted:

This all just made me think of South of the Border

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All this poo poo makes me think I'd think it cool as a kid, lame as a teen and hilarious as an adult

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

All this poo poo makes me think I'd think it cool as a kid, lame as a teen and hilarious as an adult

so its the platonic ideal of a tourist trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

shame on an IGA posted:

well as a matter of fact I have sausage a place

GodDAMNIT