Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Capitalist china really loves tanks, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

homex unironically supported North Korea so, Khmers aren't too much a stretch.

he was alpha tankie though

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A4R8 posted:

Capitalist china really loves tanks, yes

You were claiming that tankies are imaginary, yet they can be seen right here in this thread. Plenty more in CSPAM.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

stephenthinkpad posted:

You should ask the NZ government offer more refugee status to HK young radical students who are too poor to immigrate out of HK
That seems to be a problem with the UK proposal. It says BNO passport holders right? Am I understanding correctly that the cutoff is for a birth date of 1997 or later? The protesters are young. That may leave a majority of them ineligible.

The US is considering a Safe Harbor bill for activists in danger.

Australia, Germany, and Taiwan seem like they're deciding what to do right now. They're all willing to review asylum applications from Hong Kong like any other country but they may not implement a special process for it.

Japan doesn't seem interested in giving refuge to the actual protesters but they want to absorb Hong Kong's financial professionals.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

That seems to be a problem with the UK proposal. It says BNO passport holders right? Am I understanding correctly that the cutoff is for a birth date of 1997 or later? The protesters are young. That may leave a majority of them ineligible.

Someone mentioned it included their children too, which I guess would include a lot of people born post 97

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Devils Affricate posted:

You were claiming that tankies are imaginary, yet they can be seen right here in this thread. Plenty more in CSPAM.

I don’t think tankies support capitalist states like china

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

A4R8 posted:

why not?

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Because china kills tankies on behalf of capital like america does

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

if only, tankies are super aesthetic the party loves that poo poo

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Something something sparkling authoritarianism.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is this for real? Are you from NZ?

You should ask the NZ government offer more refugee status to HK young radical students who are too poor to immigrate out of HK, not some unrealistic trade "sanction" a tiny country like NZ is in no position to execute. I don't remember ever reading NZ's name in any of the "Five Eyes countries trying to sanction China" news.

I don't see New Zealand putting trade sanctions in place, China buys 29% of our exports.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have this weird nostalgia for a place I never got to visit and only saw through grainy youtube videos. I'm talking Hong Kong in the 1990s: red post boxes, John Woo movies, 747s making a tight turn to land at Kai Tak, pirate vcds everywhere, playstation modchips, the union jack. Ah well it's all gone now.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I have this weird nostalgia for a place I never got to visit and only saw through grainy youtube videos. I'm talking Hong Kong in the 1990s: red post boxes, John Woo movies, 747s making a tight turn to land at Kai Tak, pirate vcds everywhere, playstation modchips, the union jack. Ah well it's all gone now.

Prime Chow Yun Fat era and slightly later Prime Stephen Chow era were tits. Every HKer was hustling.

I still can quote most Stephen Chow movies like white nerds quoting Mighty Python.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ya shits been dead for a while

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Like lets do an action sequence that goes for 2 and a half minutes without an cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lnsOG9nuDA

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Netflix HK added most of Stephen Chow's early films recently and they're just so good. poo poo like 情聖 (Magnificent Scoundrels) and the one where he beats Jimmy White at snooker. The Tang Bohu film, 唐伯虎點秋香, is one of the very best too. So much better than his later output.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rabelais D posted:

Netflix HK added most of Stephen Chow's early films recently and they're just so good. poo poo like 情聖 (Magnificent Scoundrels) and the one where he beats Jimmy White at snooker. The Tang Bohu film, 唐伯虎點秋香, is one of the very best too. So much better than his later output.

Taiwanese Netflix also has a bunch of stuff, including alot of 80s Chow Yun Fat. If we're giving recommendations out, A Better Tomorrow, I feel, is better than Hard Boiled, and on par with The Killer.

I tried watching Taipei Story this morning on Criterion but my NordVPN was making GBS threads on me. I blame Lowtax.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On Stephen Chow movies:

I am fond of CJ7. Not as showily funny as the other stuff, but I think it's sweet.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Reading these nostalgia posts makes me want to re-watch Full Contact. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I am going to have to use a spyware filled Chinese pirate site or buy a DVD. The true 90's experience!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s7Q-Z2PGQw

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is this for real? Are you from NZ?

You should ask the NZ government offer more refugee status to HK young radical students who are too poor to immigrate out of HK, not some unrealistic trade "sanction" a tiny country like NZ is in no position to execute. I don't remember ever reading NZ's name in any of the "Five Eyes countries trying to sanction China" news.

The sanctions is only one of three requests. With our closed borders 2# is already hard. 3# is a "freebie".

Australia is in an undeclared trade war with China as well as a cyber war. They have tariffed barley 75% because they took the lead for simply asking to make an investigation into the virus. US is triggering specific Hong Kong sanctions and related to the Uighurs. EU has made dénouements as have Japan and Canada. UK has the BNO as aggravatingly flawed as it maybe is the largest contribution thus far.

It's not that nothing is happening, it's that there is a clear lack of leadership that the US normally takes because you know, Bunker Bitch, virus or not. It's uncoordinated. Hence why I have this line

quote:

There is no better time to end CCP belligerence. The world is ready. We can be the people that unites those efforts.

The thing is we are invariably going to "Hurt Chinese feelings" because No Why. With the pandemic our economies is almost decoupled. National is obviously feeling the pressure as they keep trying to open the borders with China in mind. Labour is already aware having specifically rebuked National on this.

The letter isn't so much a list of things I want as much as it is a set of policy options they no doubt are already considering. Any one of those would be great, the hidden 4# option is what I really want. Jacinda's leadership is bullet proof, more powerful than any direct action we can take. People overseas adore her. Certain things are going to happen, many things from many countries, what isn't happening is leadership.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im here to perform my No True Tankie bit.

Oh....

Its already being done......

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A4R8 posted:

tankies are fascists with a red flag fetish, hth

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i believe the past 7 pages have been fojar arguing with tankies, did i miss anything interesting?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
despite this being lucky page 8 of the assault the cspam posters have failed to take the spur

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Jeoh posted:

tankies are fascists with a red flag fetish, hth

Tankies are communists, actually.

Jeoh posted:

i believe the past 7 pages have been fojar arguing with tankies, did i miss anything interesting?

There are no supporters of Chinese capitalism itt

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

A4R8 posted:

Tankies are communists, actually.

Must have missed the chapter in Das Kapital where Marx states that using tanks on civilians is an integral part of post-capitalist economics.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Dont Touch ME posted:

Must have missed the chapter in Das Kapital where Marx states that using tanks on civilians is an integral part of post-capitalist economics.

I must have missed the part where china is communist

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I wish people stick with more descriptive term such as "Wumao" to refer to "CCP fans" instead of over used and meaningless word "tankie". You are grouping modern "Communism for 4chan white people" and wumao into the same word.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

A4R8 posted:

But you support the CCP?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wumao is probably better yeah

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Taiwanese Netflix also has a bunch of stuff, including alot of 80s Chow Yun Fat. If we're giving recommendations out, A Better Tomorrow, I feel, is better than Hard Boiled, and on par with The Killer.

Story wise maybe, but as far as action goes, Hard Boiled will remain, much like Taiwan, #1.

In some ways, part of me is glad I won't get to visit HK, since I know deep down I'd be dissappointed if it wasn't like the 80/90s movies.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

A4R8 posted:

It's not, but West Taiwan is legalist, and communism is but a worse, western version of legalism.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

I saw the news about the UN Human Rights commission approving PRC’s takeover of HK and... how are only 26 countries in the UN against this? Christ.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cnidario posted:

I saw the news about the UN Human Rights commission approving PRC’s takeover of HK and... how are only 26 countries in the UN against this?

:20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::ussr::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Cnidario posted:

I saw the news about the UN Human Rights commission approving PRC’s takeover of HK and... how are only 26 countries in the UN against this? Christ.

"Solidarity in Corruption"

For content:

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

I too long for the return of White imperialism and the subjugation of the yellow man by their obvious western superiors

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Batsoup drinking gooks aimirite loll

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah! They should be brutalized and beaten into submission in a dystopian surveillance police state by the yellow man instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
That white guy just ignored me, I was feeling a little unloved.

Now I’m getting my liver harvested for dissent by some one the same color as me, this is great! All hail fascist ethno-states.