Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Darth TNT posted:

Who is Jeffrey of Yospos and why are we happy about him specifically taking over?

They're not Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think its less him specifically and more that it isn't lowtax

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll vouch for Jeffrey. We both got signed up to mod the GBS reboot, and he was always one of the best mods while I was one. He tried to be fair with everyone and take the time to solve whatever issues came up. There's good reason he was promoted to admin, and he's been doing a lot of work on the backend of these forums recently, adding long-overdue features. I think the forum will be in good hands under him.

That said, I still want to support LP Beach as a place for non-SA posters to do LP's, as it's still nice to have an alternative. I encourage everyone who's considering doing an LP to crosspost both here and there, though of course it's up to you. I know I will for my next LP (sorry Robopon, you're too loving boring to finish).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Mega64 posted:

I'll vouch for Jeffrey. We both got signed up to mod the GBS reboot, and he was always one of the best mods while I was one. He tried to be fair with everyone and take the time to solve whatever issues came up. There's good reason he was promoted to admin, and he's been doing a lot of work on the backend of these forums recently, adding long-overdue features. I think the forum will be in good hands under him.

That said, I still want to support LP Beach as a place for non-SA posters to do LP's, as it's still nice to have an alternative. I encourage everyone who's considering doing an LP to crosspost both here and there, though of course it's up to you. I know I will for my next LP (sorry Robopon, you're too loving boring to finish).

Edit: I should double check before I post things.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 26, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Okay. I saw more posters liking him, this makes sense.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Cuveball Sliders posted:

where I disagree is in that we shouldn't call out bad behavior just because we've also done bad things. I've been a complete piece of poo poo to people and burned plenty of bridges but I've also learned from those experiences (slower than I wish) and I would say am ultimately a better person than I was, obviously not perfect but I understand who I want to be and how to get there better with every mistake.

Other people calling me out and confronting me when I hosed up has been extremely helpful in helping me with that learning process. Some of these people were not great themselves but ultimately not being rewarded for bad behavior helped me learn not to keep doing it on a chemical level, while being directly told the why helped me grasp it mentally and make the changes I've needed to make.

I totally agree with this and think it's a necessary part of growth - that's why I included the first point about the obviousness of saying that bad behavior is indeed wrong.

Also definitely glad to hear about the prospect of the transfer to new ownership.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What would be the best way to upload .mid files for an SSLP?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mr. Steak posted:

I think LPix hosts music as long as you adhere to the 2 MB limit, but most people I've seen just link to YouTube vids.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Mr. Steak posted:

I use clyp myself, but I don't know which sound files it allows.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rip tindeck, the best and most hassle free music host.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've realized I just have to bite the bullet and record my PC audio while playing back the midi files, because with other "conversions" it keeps sounding different cuz it uses different instruments. I really don't understand how midi works lol

edit: Question though. Would it be worth it to upload the actual base midi file to a filehosting site, in addition to linking a youtube video of the track? Like, would anybody conceivably be interested in that, for the sake of examining the notes or whatever?

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 29, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

I really don't understand how midi works lol

It's basically note sheets with instructions for how fast to play them and which instruments to use. But different machines and software provide different-sounding instrument noises, so the same midi can sound very different depending on where it is played. With good audio equipment, they can sound pretty good! ...but on a regular computer, probably less so.

It absolutely won't hurt to offer the midis, but i don't imagine there's going to be a lot of interest. Maybe just zip them up and offer the whole package at the end of the lp? (Or from the start, if you're not worried about spoilers.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey gang, I am having a shocking time trying to find this. I'm looking for a non-commentary playthrough of the classic non-HD, non-remaster, non-remake, non-director's cut Resident Evil 1 for the PS1 that also doesn't have watermarks and logos or text on it, and also hasn't been stretched to accommodate widescreen resolutions. The few I've found are incredibly low-quality. I know it's PS1 and therefore not great quality to begin with, but I mean, the game text is unreadable due to video compression.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to do a thing and nobody is going to see it but three or four folks. I'm not trying to steal anyone's effort.

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 1, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That sounds like one of those things that only exists in the form of pre-2008 YouTube videos, which as you've noted have problems. Hopefully someone has it for you, but if not you could always cheat in infinite health/ammo/etc to grab whatever footage you need.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Yeah that's a rough thing to get ahold of.

Your best bet is two videos on YouTube by TurkishBullet19 imo. Its probably the most palatable compromise, short of just recording it all yourself.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does this work? Searching for longplay is your best bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArlQ91tX2JU

The website is long gone, unfortunately.

E: Never mind, the video's the director's cut. Sorry.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 1, 2020

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Req.Martyr posted:

just recording it all yourself.

Perhaps I will do this... and capitalize on this scarcity! (dollar sign eyes)

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

So, uh, I'm doing a Let's Play of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. And I found the most entertaining way to work on it was in the form of a narrative LP.

That being said, I've heard rumors (and only rumors) that the reason the old "No Pokemon" rule was erected was because of a narrative Pokemon Mystery Dungeon LP that was apparently a bit weird? And I don't want to screw over Crosspiece's series of LPs.

So my question is: does this seem alright? I know most of the GIFs look like blurry crap, but what I want to know is if the narrative quality seems fine.

I just really don't want to get Pokemon LPs banned from this sub-forum again.

Thanks!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The old PMD LP was a long time ago now and it was pretty... weird, but I believe it was a combination of a lot of low effort Pokemon LPs along with that that required mod's permission for it. I had to do so for Yellow, but since then they've relaxed it quite a bit, I sincerely doubt the current mods would ever doing such a thing. It looks good, you're putting effort into it and so long as you don't make it weird, I think you'll be just fine!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

So, uh, I'm doing a Let's Play of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. And I found the most entertaining way to work on it was in the form of a narrative LP.

That being said, I've heard rumors (and only rumors) that the reason the old "No Pokemon" rule was erected was because of a narrative Pokemon Mystery Dungeon LP that was apparently a bit weird? And I don't want to screw over Crosspiece's series of LPs.

So my question is: does this seem alright? I know most of the GIFs look like blurry crap, but what I want to know is if the narrative quality seems fine.

I just really don't want to get Pokemon LPs banned from this sub-forum again.

Thanks!

I had a skim of this. I don't really have much of value to say on the subject of Pokémon so for feedback I'll just note I spotted a broken image link to bubbles bubbles bubbles.gif.

About the other thing though; you've got nothing to worry about here. The Pokémon MD narrative LP you're referring to was a completely different beast than what it looks like you're attempting here, and also wasn't the sole impetus for the ban - the other factor was the slew of identical effort-starved Pokémon LPs cropping up at the time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I recall the other LP specifically was a self-insert and the mods decided that maybe self-insert fanfiction wasn't something they wanted on the forum. Also the thread got helldumped. Anyway that was twelve years ago.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Crosspeice posted:

The old PMD LP was a long time ago now and it was pretty... weird, but I believe it was a combination of a lot of low effort Pokemon LPs along with that that required mod's permission for it. I had to do so for Yellow, but since then they've relaxed it quite a bit, I sincerely doubt the current mods would ever doing such a thing. It looks good, you're putting effort into it and so long as you don't make it weird, I think you'll be just fine!

Fedule posted:

I had a skim of this. I don't really have much of value to say on the subject of Pokémon so for feedback I'll just note I spotted a broken image link to bubbles bubbles bubbles.gif.

About the other thing though; you've got nothing to worry about here. The Pokémon MD narrative LP you're referring to was a completely different beast than what it looks like you're attempting here, and also wasn't the sole impetus for the ban - the other factor was the slew of identical effort-starved Pokémon LPs cropping up at the time.

Hey, thanks for the clarification.

And also for spotting that broken link, Fedule, that'll teach me to do my commentary before uploading my images.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just to chime in: yeah, that seems fine. you have the :justpost: seal of approval!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Wait no come back I want to know about the trash fire self insert fanfic

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The old PMD2 LP spiraled out of control into something creepy with the thread participation. Helldump also got involved after the creepiness kept spiking, and the LP went down in flames. It wasn't the sole reason for the Pokemon ban, but it was one of the straws that broke the camel's back. The other real issue was that there were a ton of low effort copycat narrative style Pokemon LPs popping up, which is clearly not happening now.

As far as I remember, the LP itself didn't get too bad until the thing kept crumbling down, so it's not of much interest iirc. it was the thread participation that kept getting out of whack. The OP proceeded to make normal LPs afterwards that did not go down in flames like that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 3, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
helldump was a weird kinda preview to the kind of toxic callout culture that suffuses twitter these days, where the substance of the callout doesn't actually matter as much as ABC, Always Be Calling out
the thread itself was not actually that weird, even by Something Awful standards

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
not really, since helldump's favorite pastime was calling out people for not being straight or cis & the people being ~~cancelled~~ today are generally getting done so for being bigots, rapists, and/or pedophiles

equating the two isn't really fair

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

i'm not talking about ~cancel culture~ i'm talking about the "this fanfic writer i dislike once liked a tweet that said 'herp derp' back in 2013, if you think about it that's p much the same as saying we should sterilize criminals" stuff

StillFullyTerrible fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 3, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Ah, you mean the stuff people make up! Sorry, I got confused and wanted to talk about real things that happen

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

... You don't use much twitter, do you

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

StillFullyTerrible posted:

... You don't use much twitter, do you

this is rapidly not becoming a conversation for the lp sandcastle but, like, that poo poo legit doesn't happen in any appreciable amount. it gets made up by people who want to undercut people getting called out for real poo poo, so that people like you don't look any further into why people are getting called out and dismiss it out of hand -- and sometimes, it works

this is why people like nick robinson have a big ol youtube career still after being fired from polygon for harassing nearly every woman in the industry (including sending dick pics to underaged fans): they pretend it never happened, and hope that people just assume that those callouts were fake and meaningless because if they were real how could he ever become popular again?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

While I am annoyed about the sweeping assumptions you have made about me and my intentions, this is not the correct place to argue about this.

StillFullyTerrible fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 3, 2020

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Hello! This is a test post for a podcast i've been working on and would like feedback on.

We have been playing and recording for several weeks now. I have finished the first episode to my satisfaction, and am almost finished with the second... but before I keep going, I'd like to know if there will be an audience for it.

Let me know what you think!

[Below this line is what WOULD be the first post of the thread, if people like this, and i make a thread for it]

-----------------

PARANOIA: THE ROLEPLAYING GAME

Paranoia is a phenomenally funny tabletop RPG first released in 1984 by West End Games. (Although later, more well-known versions, including current ones, are now published by Mongoose Publishing.) The original version was created by Greg Costikyan, Dan Gelber, and Eric Goldberg. The setting is, at first glance, retro sci-fi dark comedy; a hilariously dystopian 1984-nightmare. But the details are quite astonishing, and even putting the humor aside, the world can be quite immersive and interesting.

Paranoia is not like most other tabletop games.
Other games may have you worrying about your class or species. In Paranoia, even minor differences like ethnicity and gender are non-existent, due to gene-banking melding everybody together, and hormone suppressants keeping anyone from experiencing puberty. You don't even have much of a family or backstory: Your genetic template was created by clone-tech experts based on what they thought might work best, and you were raised in a Junior Citizen complex along with everyone else.
In Paranoia, everyone is your enemy, including other players. Especially other players.
Living in the underground society known as Alpha Complex, run by a machine referred to only as "Friend Computer", you are tasked with keeping order among the chaos by combating The Computer's sworn enemies: Mutants, Traitors, and Communists. Failing to keep order is treason.

Also, every player is a Mutant, Traitor, and/or Communist. (This is treason.)

Of course, you don't have any proof of this. If someone finds out what your secrets are, they can turn you in for a promotion and financial gain. But on the other hand, if you manage to find out what society someone ELSE is in, or what THEIR mutation is, you could turn THEM in! And don't get me started on if you both find each other out at the same time.

So how can you manage to play the game if every player is just trying to ruin each other's lives? If you know out-of-character that everyone is a traitor... isn't that unfair? Not at all! You don't know what kind of traitor they are. There's more than a dozen secret societies, and they all want different things. Not only that, but the GM may decide to gently caress with you by picking a random player to NOT be a mutant, or to NOT have a secret society. Or maybe they'll decide to put everyone into the SAME society, so that if you turn someone in, you're hurting your own team! Maybe they'll secretly take you aside and say "I'm making you a non-mutant for this game." But maybe they're lying; what if you're a mutant but you just don't know it yet?

By the way, false accusations of treason are treasonous. Also, unhappiness is treason.

---

PARANOIA: FIGHT TOGETHER, OR DIE A CLONE

Fight Together, or Die a Clone is the name for this particular campaign of Paranoia, which I, Gosts, am running. I will be using the 2004 edition Paranoia XP, although I am also taking rules from previous editions AND future editions, and some of my own rules, too. Very few game masters run paranoia in the same way.

The Details:

This 'Let's Play' podcast will document this campaign - in which five players are participating. Our sessions are quite long, generally around 4 hours, and we try to play every other week. Instead of trying to post updates in such a terrible way, I will be splitting things into smaller chunks and posting those weekly. I will try to miss as few weeks as possible, but some holidays may need to be skipped. Even if there's no upload, I'll make sure to post SOMEthing once a week, even if it's just a text update or a notice about how things are going.

Small note: there are two versions of this podcast: The RED version, and the ULTRAVIOLET version.

ULTRAVIOLET contains all the secret missions, secret sessions with me, DMs back and forth in the middle of the game as they give me instructions on what ways they want to betray everyone else... and so on. Each player only knows what THEIR secrets are, but you get to know ALL of them. (There will also be some episodes that will be ONLY for ultraviolets, which contain nothing but secrets.)

RED will contain NO secrets.

I will only be posting the ULTRAVIOLET version because it will be much more interesting to listen to. The RED version exists mainly so that my players can listen to the podcast without spoiling themselves for the game. But since I will be talking about that in the podcast itself, I figure that I should tell you.

Speaking of which: You can spoil ANYTHING you want to in this thread. Regardless of if they do or don't have a Something Awful account, all my players are banned from reading this thread, on pain of death. Don't worry about spoiling them.

---

THE CAST

Gosts

"Hi, I'm Gosts. I'm the game master. I've been running tabletop games for a while and I've considered doing a podcast, but I always thought I had too much self respect to do it. Until now."

Lights

"In the first tabletop game I played, my character was a wizard with a greatsword that jumped out of cover to melee attack a 15 foot tall golem because "this is the part of the stories where the player crits". I haven't improved since."

Kyle

Kyle is the most dangerous man to make your enemy due to his perfect record of starting eternal blood feuds with other players. And with the GM.

Ram

Imagine Chancellor Palpatine but very soft-spoken and depressed.

Frit

He smokes a pack a day and his skin is falling off. We have no idea how he's alive. He is quoted as having said "I know for a fact there's a liquor store in running distance from this hospital."

Bees

"just trying to see how far button mashing would get me in a structured fighting game tournament"

---

MISSION LOG

MISSION 1: "MINE UR OWN BUSINESS"
Episode 1: Prepare Yourself, Troubleshooters.

[i'll probably have links on spotify or something later, but right now the podcast is still being verified, so it's just on Acast]

Gosts fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 5, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I gave it a listen during my commute (which is where I listen to all my podcasts) and liked it. Would like to hear more.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Pleased to hear! Assuming nothing critical comes up i'll probably make a thread soon.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Ok, so I'm currently writing up a test intro for an Against the Bot SSLP of MekHQ (that takes some cues from Yooper's Strike Command/C: MO LP) and I need eyeballs to tell me if I'm making any mistakes. This is going to be my first LP, so don't hold anything back; tear into me with all your might.

What I'm looking for feedback on in particular:

--Tone (is it too informal, too stuffy, etc.)
--Pacing (does it flow well, do I need to slow down)

Here's the test intro as it stands now. I plan on adding new sponsors to the mix and letting the thread vote on the name of the intrepid mercenary band, but I need to get feedback first before I do anything (including pulling the trigger on this).

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 13, 2020

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Could I make a request for the subforum in general? I'd love for threads to have a secondary tag that shows what kind of LP it is; Screenshot, Solo Video, Group Video, etc.

I've been off and on SA the past few years and there's always a bunch of new threads that I'll probably never get around to checking out since it would mean opening them all up individually and watching a couple of minutes of video to see if they're for me or not. It'd be great if that were a little easier.

Also I'm really happy about the change to the donations rule! There have been a bunch of threads here over the years where the authors do great work while at the same time struggling with finances so I'm glad they're allowed to put a paypal link or whatever in the op now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hmmm...y'know, that's not a bad idea. people've been informally doing it in thread titles but it'd be easier to sort with actual tags. and it's already in place within ask/tell. i will ask Jeffrey

obviously, with him in the midst of purchasing the site, he doesn't have time or inclination to code at the moment... but this would be nice to have in the backlog for when he is available.

(course, we'd need someone to make tags. probably need the following: Untagged, Solo VLP, Group VLP, SSLP, Hybrid)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah it's definitely not massively farfetched as a forums construct although I do wonder how granular you really can make it, like, Ask/Tell is a very tidy binary, but we've got screenshot/video/hybrid(/text?) as well as solo/group to think about. Plus we've had group SSLPs before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

In theory it'd be possible to have two extra levels of groupings, one for Video/SSLP/Hybrid/CYOA and one for Group/Solo. It's definitely worth asking if that's reasonable to do given the fragile state of our backend.

e: Actually, that can be stored as a single value even if it results in multiple tags being displayed. So it's not even that much worse than what we have in Ask/Tell already.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 13, 2020