Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

bought 1000 9mm for $250 right as this whole mess got started. should hold me over for quite a while

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

bought 1000 9mm for $250 right as this whole mess got started. should hold me over for quite a while

:bsdsnype:

cabela's has a sale on gun safes rn and I'm considering grabbing one while its 300$ off

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

always good to have a gun safe for safe gunning

for laffs gun safes be sure to see if lockpickinglawyer popped all of the good deal ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chu4mvEUc5I

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've had no problems at all with my Outback in six years other than replacing a set of tires and brake pads. That's it. Only thing I've done.

A lot of oil burning problems with the 2010+ engines were because of people not taking the break-in recommendations seriously.

good to know subarus are pretty reliable if you only drive 5k miles a year

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We got hosed by assuming that warranties would be respected and parts would be available. Turns out the year of Forester we bought had a short run engine with a design flaw. because it sucked they stopped building it after like two years. because they all exploded, replacement blocks were really hard to find. it cost me ten thousand dollars to put a new motor in it. (and no we couldn't just give it back or let them repo, you get dragged into court and sued over that poo poo and I would have been down one vehicle AND out the money).

it's fine, it's whatever, i will never buy a car that doesn't have an engine that is super common ever again though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

We got hosed by assuming that warranties would be respected and parts would be available. Turns out the year of Forester we bought had a short run engine with a design flaw. because it sucked they stopped building it after like two years. because they all exploded, replacement blocks were really hard to find. it cost me ten thousand dollars to put a new motor in it. (and no we couldn't just give it back or let them repo, you get dragged into court and sued over that poo poo and I would have been down one vehicle AND out the money).

it's fine, it's whatever, i will never buy a car that doesn't have an engine that is super common ever again though.

the engine actually stayed together all right in mine, it was everything after the crankshaft that was a disaster.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the evictions are starting

this country is so, so loving sick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

the evictions are starting

this country is so, so loving sick

everybody's going to have an eviction on their record and landlords are going to start asking for rent in full for the year up front

and that, my friends, is when the riots start. the floyd protests weren't poo poo compared to whats gonna happen when three million people are suddenly homeless and terrified overnight

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I want to believe that the impending threat of nationwide mass evictions on the scale of seven digits will get the american public started on direct action but watching crisis after crisis turn from "hey this sucks let's burn something down" into "please sir may I have some more" in the span of two weeks makes me worry that all that it'll result in is a quiet footnote in a textbook 20 years from now about a curious and unexplained drop in the population of the united states in the year 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kazinsal posted:

I want to believe that the impending threat of nationwide mass evictions on the scale of seven digits will get the american public started on direct action but watching crisis after crisis turn from "hey this sucks let's burn something down" into "please sir may I have some more" in the span of two weeks makes me worry that all that it'll result in is a quiet footnote in a textbook 20 years from now about a curious and unexplained drop in the population of the united states in the year 2020

there will be enough evictees that they don't need any allies to do the direct action

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

"we have removed the racist branding of Aunt Jemima and a bunch of other things you didnt ask for"

"systemic change pls"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

can you vote if you're homeless in the US?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
last week I had a complete breakdown from stress at my job and my manager said 'stop answering emails right now, call me tomorrow with what you want to do' and at which point they immediately granted my request for several weeks of time off and said that I should work from wherever in the country I feel the most comfortable, especially if I can be with family.

it feels extremely weird that I was mentally expecting anything other than this but many years of being told 'sign this paper acknowledging you're being put on documented coaching because you're late regularly. No we don't care that you take the subway, maybe leave home earlier' I don't know what to feel any more.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

MononcQc posted:

can you vote if you're homeless in the US?

yes. The degree to which it may be a pain varies. In some places you're required to say where you live, but you can put a park in the location field.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

"we have removed the racist branding of Aunt Jemima and a bunch of other things you didnt ask for"

"systemic change pls"

"The white man will try to satisfy us with symbolic victories rather than economic equity and justice."

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"The white man will try to satisfy us with symbolic victories rather than economic equity and justice."

pretty much yeah

like i'm glad that we're changing some terminology at work but ultimately it's so incredibly minor that you feel patronizing doing it but at the same time everyone else is doing the same poo poo so you don't want to be the person /not/ going with that flow since it's at least in a more correct direction

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
renaming the master branch in git is stupid

I'm pretty sure linus torvalds wasn't referencing 1800s alabama with that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
remove the diff command from git because it implies inequality

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Methanar posted:

renaming the master branch in git is stupid

it should be 'trunk'

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Methanar posted:

I'm pretty sure linus torvalds wasn't referencing 1800s alabama with that.

idgaf what linus was referencing

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i mean it's not really accomplishing anything but at the same time i don't care enough to put any effort whatsoever into resisting it

other things, like 'whitelist' and 'blacklist' i can get due to the whole subconscious white=good black=bad thing and also from a l10n perspective of 'oh yeah these are kinda colloquial terms that not everyone from everywhere will immediately understand like "allow" vs "block"'

anyway it'd be nice if the government could do something instead of this lead-from-behind PR crap

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

psiox posted:

i mean it's not really accomplishing anything but at the same time i don't care enough to put any effort whatsoever into resisting it

other things, like 'whitelist' and 'blacklist' i can get due to the whole subconscious white=good black=bad thing and also from a l10n perspective of 'oh yeah these are kinda colloquial terms that not everyone from everywhere will immediately understand like "allow" vs "block"'

anyway it'd be nice if the government could do something instead of this lead-from-behind PR crap

You want an executive order / law insisting that all uses of "master" in software shall henceforth be replaced with "trump" if you want to sell to the US federal government?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

rotor posted:

idgaf what linus was referencing

so does intent matter or not.

tell me how you feel about masters degrees

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

at least we don't use ide drives anymore

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Methanar posted:

why on earth do you care? it is a really dumb name and might as well be changed.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Methanar posted:

shut the gently caress up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Methanar posted:

in this case? no, it doesn't.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I mean i kinda agree with psiox. This isn't really a big deal and if you don't wanna then don't. But the idea that youd expend effort opposing it seems very weird.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Does git have "slaves" too or does it just use "master"?

Either way trunk is a simpler, better name than master

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

things that have branches, survey says:

rotor posted:

'trunk'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Methanar posted:

"master" in and of itself is not an offensive term. there's no implied power dynamic in saying you mastered the guitar. describing a controller/executor system as a "master and slave" system is problematic.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

rotor posted:

This isn't really a big deal and if you don't wanna then don't. But the idea that youd expend effort opposing it seems very weird.
"Patches welcome!"

Seriously though I had someone send me a patch like this once and clicking approve is the easiest thing in the world

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

why on earth do you care? it is a really dumb name and might as well be changed.

its performative empathy for techbros to show how woke they are by leading the charge on something visible yet insignificant.

in the sense of the whole thing being insignificant I guess it doesn't matter too much to me.

but its still stupid

psiox posted:

it's so incredibly minor that you feel patronizing doing it but at the same time everyone else is doing the same poo poo so you don't want to be the person /not/ going with that flow

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sure but performative empathy is still an improvement over the status quo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

trunk makes more sense than master just in context of a system that branches off a primary source

the fact that switching from master to trunk is making Not Racist But people show their true colours is a happy side effect

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

rotor posted:

disagree

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sagebrush posted:

"master" in and of itself is not an offensive term. there's no implied power dynamic in saying you mastered the guitar. describing a controller/executor system as a "master and slave" system is problematic.

jenkins does bother me with this. i have to go out of my way to explain what the differences in types of nodes are without using their terminology.

at least redis changed it (and i updated our configs and then realized we were on too old a version and then broke production but that's another story)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

agreed because at least it's the right intent building momentum

and thankfully we're at a point where so many of us are publicly recognizing and acknowledging that it is largely performative and needs to be backed by real substance. so insofar as it's accomplished that, that is objectively Good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

trunk makes more sense than master just in context of a system that branches off a primary source

i suspect that the reason why 'trunk' wasn't originally chosen was to not imply that development has to proceed with some special trunk, it is just a branch like any other.

possibly 'default' is the better term if one wants to preserve that, the only thing distinguishing it is after all that it is created by default, and it is the branch you by default are on when cloning the repo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Methanar posted:

its performative empathy for techbros to show how woke they are by leading the charge on something visible yet insignificant.

in the sense of the whole thing being insignificant I guess it doesn't matter too much to me.

but its still stupid

even if i think renaming code stuff is a bit patronizing, main is fewer characters to regularly type and is therefore better. every time i'm explaining how git works to someone i would just describe master as "the main branch" since master doesn't really fit and implies a relationship with the other branches that doesn't exist at any technical level

similarly i recently renamed "whitelist"/"blacklist" settings in a config file schema to "override"/"block" and the latter actually gives you an accurate indication of what they do

so if you want to die on that inaccurate names for things hill then go for it i guess