Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

prefect posted:

i think it's still the tree metaphor, but i wanted to mention it because it's one of those words that i was always around and never really understood, like "pbx"

which itself is part of the tree metaphor

it's trees all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kazinsal posted:

which itself is part of the tree metaphor

it's trees all the way down

i spent almost ten years surrounded by phone and networking stuff, and learned zero about them :saddowns:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

that's been ongoing, i've seen a bunch of different terms. 'People Management' is one, 'Human Relations' is another that lets everyone still call it HR because force of habit dies hard.

sendgrid did "People Ops" and it made my hackles raise every single time i heard it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah to me networking stuff is like a magic river you throw messages into and the network pixies take the messages to the mystical router tree where the wizard tells them where its supposed to go

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

sendgrid did "People Ops" and it made my hackles raise every single time i heard it

plops

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i had to go boot the server today at the office and totally forgot that the older tech guy bought this

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i had to go boot the server today at the office and totally forgot that the older tech guy bought this

BARONS CYBER SKULL

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the hell is that, some kinda NUC for gamer's'?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they're installing a big new sewer trunk line on a road near me now, looks to be a 48" pipe so my posts will travel much faster

goddamn. it’s not a combined system is it?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

psiox posted:

the hell is that, some kinda NUC for gamer's'?

that is exactly what it is

intel sticks the gamer skull on anything consumer that would overlap a higher margin enterprise part

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I have that little PC and love it as a little linux workstation.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jonny 290 posted:

When Googlers are mad at the company's "People Ops" they go out of their way to call it "HR"

which is all to say that the term is explicitly pejorative

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tech guy so old his laptop is all bones

Roosevelt posted:

BARONS CYBER SKULL

awwwww f :eyepop:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

looks like a few of our satellite offices have had singular cases as they try to reopen so they are telling everyone to stay home still

our boss told us to not even bother coming in originally so its both a relief but also no change for us

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/slittletree/status/1280540852578729984

someone who is good with money please help budget for my city its dying etc

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i’m garrison keillor’s lovechild lurking behind the flag

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
how does a city of (googling) 1.6 something million people not have a health department

the podunk city of like 100k I grew up in had a health department.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

https://twitter.com/slittletree/status/1280540852578729984

someone who is good with money please help budget for my city its dying etc

wait hang on let's back up to those first five words

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

how does a city of (googling) 1.6 something million people not have a health department

the podunk city of like 100k I grew up in had a health department.

not sure how it’s done in AZ but around here that stuff is typically handled at the county level.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

they had a health department but steven segal drove a apc through it under suspicion of cockfighting

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

you know exactly why

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
it begins

https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1280659063437774849

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

good. bring back the 30s

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
everything is a sham.

there is no way that I contribute my salary's worth of value to the business

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Methanar posted:

everything is a sham.

there is no way that I contribute my salary's worth of value to the business

i feel the same way

my boss encouraged me today to take some vacation time, which only increases my paranoia :tinfoil:

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
luckily for me I’ve already saved my company multiples of my salary and am on track for waaaaaayyyyyyy more.

edit:
as in luckily for me as far as imposter syndrome and affirming my desire for more capital.

I’d much rather make far less, and pay way more in taxes for a robust social safety net so I could stop serving the whims of idiots.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

freeasinbeer posted:

luckily for me I’ve already saved my company multiples of my salary and am on track for waaaaaayyyyyyy more.

don't worry this means nothing to them lol.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

don't worry this means nothing to them lol.

oh, yeah I’m under no illusions. it just helps me with my imposter syndrome and leaves me hungry to get more of their capital.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
sales: I closed this killer sales contract that generates 5 mil in new business revenue
- so of course I get a 10% commission for the year and maybe some residuals
eng: I edited some obscure config file no one understands and now we have 20 mil per year less in infrastructure costs
- so maybe if I keep at it I can cite that when I apply for a promotion with a 20k/year salary bump

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

prefect posted:

i feel the same way

my boss encouraged me today to take some vacation time, which only increases my paranoia :tinfoil:

my company is making GBS threads itself right now because everyone has so much pto saved up and you can only roll over 40 hrs. so much so that they announced a pto buyback program today.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just finished using last years rolled over pto. i have something like 5 weeks left to take this year and no reason to use it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I was supposed to be on vacation in the US this week so obviously this isn’t happening

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

sales: I closed this killer sales contract that generates 5 mil in new business revenue
eng: I edited some obscure config file no one understands and now we have 20 mil per year less in infrastructure costs
- so maybe if I keep at it I can cite that when I apply for a promotion with a 20k/year salary bump

that doesn't sound like any engineering i've ever heard of. you are fired for lying about your job duties

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ShadowHawk posted:

i was the product manager on a new speaker line generating $40m a year in new revenue and i got a 0% bonus and a year later when i was up for promotion review i almost was rejected because “he drinks too much coffee”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the guy sitting beside me was the product manager for a single product that generated $100m in revenue in the first year and created an entire new product category for us and they gave him a letter thanking him for his hard work and increased his annual bonus from 5% to 6%. probably none of the other people working in the project got any bonus at all.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
if product managers want to get paid for their work they should go be entrepreneurs instead

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Shaggar posted:

HR people are the most useless people on the earth.

what about the software developers?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’ll uh start the wiki

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

what kind of loving stack does your company have that editing a single file would save eight figgies a year in what the gently caress?

radium woke up in a cold sweat and doesn’t know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

freeasinbeer posted:

edit:
as in luckily for me as far as imposter syndrome and affirming my desire for more capital.

I’d much rather make far less, and pay way more in taxes for a robust social safety net so I could stop serving the whims of idiots.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 9, 2020