Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1280328442861498368?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

191 new cases in Melbourne. That's another 100% leap in cases in 24 hours basically. Troops have been deployed along the state borders to keep us in but yet the gym underneath my building is opening on Monday.

crack ping cockatoo.gif

wisconsin has 1/5th the population of australia and almost 3x your cases today (484)

everyone just shrugs

it's loving insane and I feel like I'm the crazy person because everyone is just shrugging

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Well I'm a grad student and I'm just finishing a dissertation so hopefully this doesn't effect me but gosh is that retarded.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Ruggan posted:

american academy of pediatrics recommends schools opening in fall

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2...tion-in-schools

super mixed feelings and very anxious about needing to send my 1st grader, but have to acknowledge that the negative impacts on kids are real

tough poo poo. it didnt have to come to “we either stunt kids development and kill teachers OR we save lives” just as it never had to be “we either die for the DOW or save lives”.

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

Ruggan posted:

super mixed feelings and very anxious about needing to send my 1st grader, but have to acknowledge that the negative impacts on kids are real

As a teacher, this is all correct. Doing remote learning hurts a ton of students, especially younger ones. We should be doing everything possible to get schools open. The problem is, my high school with over 2000 students has three working bathrooms for each gender. I have 35 kids in a tiny portable with the AC running all the time. Social distancing is impossible unless we treble the number of teachers. That’s what the EU did, temporarily giving teaching assistants their own classrooms. Lol if you can find a single high school in the US with teaching assistants for classes outside of SPED. Point is, it’s not possible to reopen schools in the US because of the political environment

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ruggan posted:

The American Academy of Pediatrics are a bunch of out of touch bougie aristocrats that need to get HENRY'd up STAT.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ruggan posted:

yeah and at every step of the way when we've said "don't worry the virus doesn't do that" it turns out, oopsie the virus DOES do that! i think the idea that the virus doesn't impact children is a lot of misplaced optimism with very little science or data behind it. it's just like.. why the gently caress risk it right now. is it going to take refrigerator trucks backing up to the childrens hospital to get admins to shut everything down?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SKULL.GIF posted:

wisconsin has 1/5th the population of australia and almost 3x your cases today (484)

everyone just shrugs

it's loving insane and I feel like I'm the crazy person because everyone is just shrugging

Yeah it's weird how different it is from country to country. Like my home town of Vancouver is doing bad by Aussie standards but thinks they're doing great since Canadians have always been smugly satisfied with being slightly better than the US. The BC health minister is being hailed as a hero for the same poo poo the Victoria health minister is getting destroyed for.

Australia is getting zero cases day after day except for Melbourne so Melbourne is a big loving deal. We were so close to eradication and it just got away from us.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

mod sassinator posted:

yeah and at every step of the way when we've said "don't worry the virus doesn't do that" it turns out, oopsie the virus DOES do that! i think the idea that the virus doesn't impact children is a lot of misplaced optimism with very little science or data behind it. it's just like.. why the gently caress risk it right now. is it going to take refrigerator trucks backing up to the childrens hospital to get admins to shut everything down?

The virus doesn't affect children! ...who have had BGC Vaccinations....WHICH THE US DOESN'T GIVE.

Lol. This is why tons of children have died from it in the US and not a single child died in China and the number of child deaths in most BCG using countries is minimal to non-existent.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gio posted:

if nYc guido voice gets a class im for it

lol nick Mullen teaching children

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

riseofmydick posted:

The virus doesn't affect children! ...who have had BGC Vaccinations....WHICH THE US DOESN'T GIVE.

Lol. This is why tons of children have died from it in the US and not a single child died in China and the number of child deaths in most BCG using countries is minimal to non-existent.

China started BCG vaccinations in 1985. Number of kids younger than 1985 birthdate that died in China = lol

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BoldFace posted:

I remember hearing Bolsanaro say that he is not worried about getting infected because he used to do sports when he was younger.

And even that's a lie because he can't do a pushup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBsf3njjW4

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

SKULL.GIF posted:

everyone just shrugs

Just lol if ur from Wisconsin and thought they would close bars

Morbus
May 18, 2004

BoldFace posted:

It's pretty crazy that a small country like Qatar already has 100k confirmed cases.

Qatar is testing just about everyone. They have a bunch of drive-in testing sites and have been encouraging people to use irrespective of symptoms or potential exposure, so they can gain a better understanding of transmission.

Incidentally, the CFR from small rich countries testing everyone are as probably as good a guess we are gonna get of the true IFR. And indeed Qatar's CFR is ~0.10% which is roughly in line with other estimates of IFR and pretty close to what you get from just demographically weighting the fataility rate estimate's per age bracket that we've had since February. Based on that, no matter how you cut it, it seems the US is destined to pick up another at least another 100k dead at this rate.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

COVID-19 is Airborne AIDS. I'm not joking, not pulling a prank, not talking about a conspiracy theory, not making a meme, not even being metaphorically.

COVID-19 is AIRBORNE AIDS.

I'm asserting and making a statement based on evidence that COVID-19 IS AIRBORNE AIDS.

If you have been on this sub you probably know that I'm the airborne aids guy and I have been saying that since January, but if you don't and this is the first time you come across that statement let me give you a brief explanation on how this came out to be:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Morbus posted:

Qatar is testing just about everyone. They have a bunch of drive-in testing sites and have been encouraging people to use irrespective of symptoms or potential exposure, so they can gain a better understanding of transmission.

Incidentally, the CFR from small rich countries testing everyone are as probably as good a guess we are gonna get of the true IFR. And indeed Qatar's CFR is ~0.10% which is roughly in line with other estimates of IFR and pretty close to what you get from just demographically weighting the fataility rate estimate's per age bracket that we've had since February. Based on that, no matter how you cut it, it seems the US is destined to pick up another at least another 100k dead at this rate.

pfft we were talkin bout millions what'sanother 100k?? number go uppppppp

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Morbus posted:

Only 1 in a thousand died? Does Qatar have an exceptional public health system with an exceptional surge capacity or something?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/serious-inflammatory-condition-linked-to-coronavirus-impacting-children.html?outputType=amp

Love to give children heart problems.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Morbus posted:

what's sweden's cfr like

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Constantly LARPing posted:

As a teacher, this is all correct. Doing remote learning hurts a ton of students, especially younger ones. We should be doing everything possible to get schools open. The problem is, my high school with over 2000 students has three working bathrooms for each gender. I have 35 kids in a tiny portable with the AC running all the time. Social distancing is impossible unless we treble the number of teachers. That’s what the EU did, temporarily giving teaching assistants their own classrooms. Lol if you can find a single high school in the US with teaching assistants for classes outside of SPED. Point is, it’s not possible to reopen schools in the US because of the political environment

yeah, keeping schools closed isn't about punishing parents or whatever. everyone knows that kids need to be in schools.

it's just that no one is going to spend the money to do it in a way that's safe, and it's such a wildly unsafe environment that you're going to create massive outbreaks even if kids hardly ever catch it or get sick.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

it’s gonna turn out it fucks their brain in some irreparable way

crack-ping, the virus

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morbus posted:

no, a fatality rate of 0.10% (whether CFR or IFR) means they’re lying about their numbers.

just like russia.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Fly Molo posted:

it’s gonna turn out it fucks their brain in some irreparable way

crack-ping, the virus

just a remix of boomers and their lead brains

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dumb Lowtax posted:

China started BCG vaccinations in 1985. Number of kids younger than 1985 birthdate that died in China = lol

It's crazy to watch US Based organizations use foreign infection rates of children to justify opening in the US when locally a lot of children have died from Coronavirus.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

The ICE international student thing is a disaster for US university's bottom lines, and they weren't doing all that well to begin with. It's an obvious attempt to punish international students by requiring them to pointlessly risk their health during a pandemic, with the happy bonus that it will crush already struggling schools. US universities are still relatively prestigious, but if this admin manages to depress international student enrollment that is going to change very quickly.

The announced ICE policy is draconian and extremely damaging for both US soft power and higher education. If I was an accelerationist, I'd support it just for the damage it would do to the US empire.

It is just so mean and stupid.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol nick Mullen teaching children

nyc guido voice is nick mullen?

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fly Molo posted:

no, a fatality rate of 0.10% (whether CFR or IFR) means they’re lying about their numbers.

just like russia.

You do realize Qatar is the country with like fuckall population, tons of oil fields, a bunch of US Military Base lease land and actively gives every citizen $40k annually from their oil revenues right? It's practically Monaco.

edit: gently caress I'm thinking about Kuwait actually. But I'm sure Qatar is pretty loaded too.

riseofmydick has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Jul 7, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

riseofmydick posted:

The American Academy of Pediatrics are a bunch of out of touch bougie aristocrats that need to get HENRY'd up STAT.

My wife is a pediatric nurse practitioner and she’s been skeptical of this (and past) announcements of theirs. Especially since they have a financial interest in this.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

riseofmydick posted:

It's crazy to watch US Based organizations use foreign infection rates of children to justify opening in the US when locally a lot of children have died from Coronavirus.

Betsy Devos in 5 months: "The death of children is tragic. The silver lining is that surviving children can benefit from smaller class sizes."

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I’m dumb about genetics. If my sister did a 23andMe and she doesn’t have the Neanderthal DNA that makes you more susceptible to bad roni outcomes, should that mean the same for me?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

welcome to THE BEAST

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Only 1 in a thousand died? Does Qatar have an exceptional public health system with an exceptional surge capacity or something?

It's a small rich oil country, their hospitals never got overloaded, there is almost certainly some intentional under-reporting of deaths, and most importantly it's a relatively younger country with only ~4% of the population over 55, so that obviously makes a huge difference. Again, IFR estimates in most countries are and have been pretty well in line with just the demographically weighted fatality estimates from China several months ago.

Even in the US, the overall IFR is almost certainly gonna lie somewhere between 1/500 and 1/50. I know that's a huge range but no matter how you look at existing data, you end up with an IFR bound of around 0.10-2.0%, so it's not really surprising that Qatar is on the low end.

Edit: for reference ~30% of the population is >55 in the US and most of western Europe. So, you do the math. If your demographics have 1/10th of the most vulnerable demographics (and the only demographic with even a case fatality rate much greater than 1/1000), of course the IFR will be lower. And if you test loving everyone, of course your CFR will be lower than "let's avoid testing at all costs" US.

Morbus has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Jul 7, 2020

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
I haven’t seen a single "reliable" study suggesting a 0.1% IFR or really anything less than 0.5% and more like 0.8% in the majority.

Edit: Oh well if Qatar is nearly all <55 year olds it’s a bit easier to believe

TheLemonOfIchabod has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Jul 7, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

riseofmydick posted:

You do realize Qatar is the country with like fuckall population, tons of oil fields, a bunch of US Military Base lease land and actively gives every citizen $40k annually from their oil revenues right? It's practically Monaco.

edit: gently caress I'm thinking about Kuwait actually. But I'm sure Qatar is pretty loaded too.

Are we including the guest workers as part of the population? They're a big part of all the gulf monarchies.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Fireside Nut posted:

I’m dumb about genetics. If my sister did a 23andMe and she doesn’t have the Neanderthal DNA that makes you more susceptible to bad roni outcomes, should that mean the same for me?

Having zero amount of Neanderthal DNA just means non European ancestry

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fireside Nut posted:

Do you have the same father and mother? You should do a 23andMe to give your dna to health insurance industry, tech, and pharma, but also to make sure no infidelity occurred.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/billycorben/status/1280332929613398017?s=21

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fireside Nut posted:

Yes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Saucer Hovers posted:

welcome to THE BEAST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN9gcEZMZO8&t=21s
RIP Jóhann Jóhannsson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Atrocious Joe posted:

Are we including the guest workers as part of the population? They're a big part of all the gulf monarchies.

Which ones? The European and Americans? Or the Indian and Southeast Asians they kill off in tribute to build stadiums?