Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No Wave posted:

I do think Mortal Kombat is like... the opposite of anime. Like anti-anime in some kind of distilled form.

You're going to need to sell me on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

No Wave posted:

I do think Mortal Kombat is like... the opposite of anime. Like anti-anime in some kind of distilled form.

Scorpion is a ninja who does a dashing slash

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

:smith:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You're going to need to sell me on this one.

If you wanted to repulse someone who generally enjoys anime aesthetics showing them a NetherRealm made game would probably do the job nicely.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

NetherRealm games do just fine at being repulsive even in a vacuum.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you watch Mortal Kombat and think "this is anime" I can't convince you otherwise. It's too many things, it's like it comes from a different world. MK features adults in a totally non-anime way, the narratives aren't entirely about hidden powers manifesting themselves, there's so much about it that makes it not anime but none of it is conclusive so I don't think I can convince anyone who believes the opposite. I'd have to start smaller and look at why something smaller and individual isn't anime and contrast it with a GGX cutscene but maybe another time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 7, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

No Wave posted:

If you watch Mortal Kombat and think "this is anime" I can't convince you otherwise. It's too many things, it's like it comes from a different ideological universe. MK features adults in a totally non-anime way, the narratives aren't entirely about hidden powers manifesting themselves, there's so much about it that makes it not anime but none of it is conclusive so I don't think I can convince anyone who believes the opposite.

you can't convince anyone because that's dumb as poo poo and untrue on its face lol

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
if it's got jiggle physics and people throwing fireballs its anime.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nobody ships or cosplays as MK characters. It's in a different ideological universe and I wish I liked MK enough to actually dedicate the brain cells towards figuring it out.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

No Wave posted:

MK features adults in a totally non-anime way,

I don't care about any of that other stuff but this is a great phrase.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

No Wave posted:

Nobody ships or cosplays as MK characters. It's in a different ideological universe and I wish I liked MK enough to actually dedicate the brain cells towards figuring it out.

People definitely shipped Johnny and Sonya

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People absolutely cosplay MK characters.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

No Wave posted:

Nobody ships or cosplays as MK characters.

This is insanely untrue

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

No Wave posted:

wrongo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8BuyTGthws&t=81s

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
pictured: a game that isn't anime

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There are definitely people who are super dry and normie (for lack of better word) about Mortal Kombat, but surprisingly there exist people who are dry and super technical about Guilty Gear/Blazblue/whatever and don't really engage in waifu-posting, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

As You Request by SepZet
Fandoms:Mortal Kombat (Video Games)
Explicit
No Archive Warnings Apply
M/M
Complete Work
08 Oct 2015
Tags
No Archive Warnings Apply Scorpion/Sub-Zero Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat) Hanzo Hasashi Kuai Liang Anal Sex Blow Jobs Rimming
Summary
Kuai Liang requests Hanzo return to enjoy some tea with him again, properly this time

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

One of the biggest points of the MK story is a ninja come back from the afterlife to swear vengeance against another ninja who he's been led to believe killed his family and clan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

“I miss my wife,” Hanzo said weakly, hating that his sight was getting blurrier. “I want her back. I want…”

“Hush, Hanzo,” Kuai Liang whispered, drawing him in. He embraced Hanzo tight, pressing the other’s forehead against his shoulder, rubbing his back in slow, soothing circles. “I acknowledge your pain, my friend. Do not let it fester. It has been years. It is not the same, but…perhaps it would help you to find another to love.”

Hanzo reared back as if he had been struck, rage shining through even the tears in his eyes. “How dare you? I could never love another!”

“I know it feels that way,” Kuai Liang reassured him, cupping the back of Hanzo’s neck in a firm hand. “And though it will never replace her, it could fill the gap, just a little, so that you do not feel so empty.”

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
MK isn't anime, it's kung fu movies thru 90's USA aesthetics.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MK is just as tropey as the wuxia and kung fu films it clearly takes inspiration from, it just does it with some western veneer.

Where is my MK RPG

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
1,090 results for Mortal Kombat on Archive Of Our Own

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

MK is just as tropey as the wuxia and kung fu films it clearly takes inspiration from, it just does it with some western veneer.

Where is my MK RPG

The single player stuff in.. Uh, Armageddon? I think? came close to that

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

No Wave posted:

literally completely wrong

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Barudak posted:

Where is my MK RPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FUCEteb4c

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is a very bad character action game and also you can't make me watch it again, you can't make it hurt me again

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Barudak posted:

Where is my MK RPG

I'm too dumb and slow for fighting games anymore and while mythologies and special forces should make me hesitant to want non fighting game MKs, I'd kill for an MK tactics rpg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm too dumb and slow for fighting games anymore and while mythologies and special forces should make me hesitant to want non fighting game MKs, I'd kill for an MK tactics rpg

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks was real real good, and Ed mentioned wanting to get back to that someday, so not all is lost

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

mortal kombat is not anime, mortal kombat is art

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8BuyTGthws

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

No Wave posted:

No other fighting game has ever given as much of a poo poo about its story and characters as MK has that has had such mainstream appeal. It has a ton of fan interaction with multiple facets of it. Even back when SF was at its most popular, the fan theories and stuff all came from obtuse poo poo and gaming magazines whereas MK actively made games to further the narrative of MK because people were so engrossed with its weird rear end world and that has persisted into today.

Trust me, people really do ship MK characters and cosplay as them, that has not stopped for the last 30 or so years.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dias posted:

MK isn't anime, it's kung fu movies thru 90's USA aesthetics.

Yeah, MK could not be more blatantly an action-movie pastiche that's evolved into a sort of self-contained ultraviolent comic-book universe. The last couple of games in particular remind me of the last days of the Wildstorm comics, where most of the characters had moved on past superheroics and into a weird array of other adjacent genres.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

obviously this isn't going to kill everyone's locals, FGC-adjacent poo poo like saltybet is probably going to hang around, etc, but... i'm not the only one getting grim visions of a future where every game is played in con bathrooms and not just Melty, right?

It's too early to say, particularly in the USA. At the rate we're going with COVID containment, 2021 won't have a convention season at all.

That being said, the FGC is bigger than these big names. This is an adjustment period, not a total cancellation, and the genre itself is healthier than ever. It may be the end of the FGC's brief, questionable dalliance with e-sports, but people will organize their own tours and continue to support the scene, especially since some of the most crucial behind-the-scenes talent is still around and kicking. We've still got Spooky, Bum, Yipes, Alex Valle, Fox, and any number of high- to middle-end players out there who are just in it for the game.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I think it's a good thing that all the old peeps are getting swept out of the FGC. A real good thing, because for every JWong or Mr. Wiz, there's a SonicFox or a SMUG, and a dozen people like Ninjakilla and Semiji who are viable, impressive players to take their shots at the champs. And it helps to highlight content creators like Lythero or UrbanBoy who enjoy showing off and just having fun with the games they love without being creeps.

The removal of the worst parts of the culture shouldn't be something to lament, it should be an opportunity to hold your game high and proud and welcome people in.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

No Wave posted:

i dont think you actually know what any of the things you're talking about are

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

Agreed. We need to get rid of games women like to prevent them being abused

Sorry global women. You will continue to be objectified and commodified in all media because Endorph and some other internet lesbians think objectification is hot and okay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm sure that you, unlike them, speak for all women globally somehow

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People absolutely deeply kare about MK Kharacters and Lore because a DLC expansion that tweaked Sindel's backstory was a wide-spread hot topic.

Hell MK itself deeply kares what with things like making Kano australian because the film did that, and the film was cool.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's lots of stuff in the world that isn't anime and there are a lot of advantages to not being anime. For example, not being social suicide.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sorry global women. You will continue to be objectified and commodified in all media because Endorph and some other internet lesbians think objectification is hot and okay.

I mean, if the games are at fault for the culture, then the response should be to get rid of series that are more prevalent in the community instead of ones that are rejected for not being good enough.

Barudak posted:

People absolutely deeply kare about MK Kharacters and Lore because a DLC expansion that tweaked Sindel's backstory was a wide-spread hot topic.

Hell MK itself deeply kares what with things like making Kano australian because the film did that, and the film was cool.

Didn't they also get Shang Tsung's actor from the movie to voice act for him in the DLC?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

No Wave posted:

There's lots of stuff in the world that isn't anime and there are a lot of advantages to not being anime. For example, not being social suicide.

The only people who virulently hate anime like you're suggesting here are embarrassed anime fans. Most people just don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Im pretty sure a game nobody loving plays isnt the reason the fgc has issues with women but feel free to blame someone you dont like online for poo poo that has affected said person you dont like online. Thats what being woke is, right.