Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Then both of those guys definitely need to be credited better. It isn't like they're doing CG characters who get completely replaced in post, they're on screen all the time.

Absolutely agreed. Don't get me wrong, Bomer and especially Fraser's vocal performances are excellent, but they're only providing half the performance while getting all of the acclaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they're not just phoning in a couple of days work seeing how often Bomer actually appeared last season in flashbacks and such (Fraser less so but he still popped up every now and again.) But they still should give the physical guys opening credits billing too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Unsolved Mysteries is such a bummer, half the episodes are just local law enforcement being failures. Just watched an episode of the "missing" Christi Nichols, and it's basically an abused spouse trying to divorce abusive husband, two days after talking to divorce attorney she "disappears" and after a while the husband finally reports her missing after lying about her disappearance to people at first. Police eventually found a suitcase containing a suspiciously specific list of stuff. Husband sold house few days after the "disappearance," got rid of all her stuff before that. Cops found blood in their bedroom floor and in the trunk of the abusive husband's car.

Looking for updates, she's still "missing" and her family on facebook are still wanting leads on what happened... They had kids together, these kids grew up with their mother's murderer and had to reach adulthood being gaslit the entire time.

The scariest thing about this show is knowing the cops might not be able to "solve" the world's most obvious murder.

I also tried watching the Netflix version of Unsolved Mysteries, but it's missing the Narrator. To be fair, it was also a UFO episode and UFO-abductees are just the worst.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Unsolved Mysteries gets remembered for the handful of ghost and alien stuff but mostly I remember it being depressingly obvious murder mysteries.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unsolved Mysteries gets remembered for Robert Stack and having great music. That's about it. Sightings had neither and nobody gives a poo poo about it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I saw so many R rated movies of varying genres when I was a young kid, but the only time I can remember getting scared was the alien abduction episodes of Unsolved Mysteries.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The alien abduction episode of Netflix's new Unsolved Mysteries series is one of the worst things I've seen. The witnesses are totally unbelievable and they cram every trope they can into the story. The other episodes were dull too and I'm just
disappointed :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the notion of these kind of abductions is just kind of insulting. Really claiming that another lifeform not only got the tech and energy to get out of their own solar systems all the way to ours, secretly, and then their next idea is to visit populated areas, flash really bright lights, fly extremely low, and then like, spook the heck out of some weirdo rural folks and then be on their way? Like, if they want to be secret, why make a big show and leave witnesses?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

swickles posted:

I saw so many R rated movies of varying genres when I was a young kid, but the only time I can remember getting scared was the alien abduction episodes of Unsolved Mysteries.

In the thread i mention the queen mary episode as having freaked me out as a kid

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

I think the notion of these kind of abductions is just kind of insulting. Really claiming that another lifeform not only got the tech and energy to get out of their own solar systems all the way to ours, secretly, and then their next idea is to visit populated areas, flash really bright lights, fly extremely low, and then like, spook the heck out of some weirdo rural folks and then be on their way? Like, if they want to be secret, why make a big show and leave witnesses?

I mean, I don't believe in them but I would assume that those who do would chalk it up as something similar to us capturing, testing on, tagging, and observing animals. And I mean, there's no reason to think probing alien species was a high priority in their theoretically advanced society. If there are aliens abducting and probing people that COULD be the poo poo job whee they send guys as punishment or because they're incompetent or weird the other aliens out. We could be getting probed by alien sex pests.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ll be honest, I kinda love the whole 1940s-1990s era of UFO poo poo. I don’t believe an iota of it and the current Ancient Aliens poo poo that’s popular is horrifically racist and dumb as hell, but that 50 year span is a fascinating little chunk of what is essentially modern folklore.

Specifically in America, it’s a snapshot of the culture at that time. You’ve got the constant “they say we have to stop using nukes!” warnings in the 50s and Project Blue Book, and the rise of “abduction” reports in the 60s starting with the Betty & Barney Hill case (which in itself is interesting because, as an interracial couple, they were afraid to come forward and had to deal with so much racist poo poo in the process). Post-Watergate everything becomes less benign and more sinister as the public loses confidence in their government, until you get to the 90s and stuff like The X-Files pushes UFO poo poo fully into the mainstream and now you’ve got these ridiculously complex conspiracies for everything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I guess I'm assuming since they bothered to hide the energy and tech required to even get here, they wanna be secret, so even if they wanna poke around at us to probe around, why do so in areas where there's a lot of the only animal around that itself has primitive technology.

You're right though that there's no reason to assume theoretical super-aliens would have some kind of Prime Directive poo poo going on. Plus, evil aliens, like, that kind of power imbalance is the direct recipe for abuse in all species on our planet... if alien life is anything like any of the life we know, cruelty isn't out of the question and publicly loving with these unbelievable goobers could just be a two-tiered evil.

Evil alien theory just isn't something I dig but drat, it really is just kind of blind optimism to assume otherwise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I personally prefer the theory that its happening but like no one really wants the job where you travel thousands of light years across galaxies to anally probe noisy alien animals that bite and poop and have a lot of projectile weapons. So we just have a bunch of incompetent ones collecting random science data instead of the best of the best plotting some evil scheme.

I mean, wouldn't that be the most like us? I mean sure, they'd probably be racists or perverts too but just not like competent or important ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think if I had the freedom to be a super-alien who can get grunt-work across the universe, I'd take a remote post somewhere and just play demigod. I've stuck sticks down anthills just to watch them freak out as a kid... Using my alien-stick to crush some aliens' hitlers and stuff would be my MO. maybe that's some hack shitthat's been played out to death in their civilization already though.

There is also some beautiful irony to space-perverts alien theory, just give how often we make fictional aliens that are just hot humans. Maybe we get visitors, but none of them have been carbon meat-bag types and not even the most depraved hydrogen sulfide type crystalline intelligence wants anything to do with that mess, which would just explode or die on contact anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

isaboo posted:

The alien abduction episode of Netflix's new Unsolved Mysteries series is one of the worst things I've seen. The witnesses are totally unbelievable and they cram every trope they can into the story. The other episodes were dull too and I'm just
disappointed :(

It's really weird because I can't figure out who it was made for. Like, History channel trash is better

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only episode I found genuinely interesting was the first one with the guy who fell through the roof, and even that one was incredibly obvious once his buddy’s company put out the gag order and lawyered up. The only questions were motive and how exactly he fell.

ed: Also the bizarre letter he left behind.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

I personally prefer the theory that its happening but like no one really wants the job where you travel thousands of light years across galaxies to anally probe noisy alien animals that bite and poop and have a lot of projectile weapons. So we just have a bunch of incompetent ones collecting random science data instead of the best of the best plotting some evil scheme.

I mean, wouldn't that be the most like us? I mean sure, they'd probably be racists or perverts too but just not like competent or important ones.

One guy with experience and a bunch of student volunteers. Half of whom are interested but over-enthusiastic and naive, half are just there for the course credit and completely checked out, and half are there for the alien equivalent of hippy-dippy "getting back to nature and communing with the planet" BS. Yes, that's three halves, deal with it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I really wish I could put down the bong long enough to get through an episode of Dark S3 without having to start it over again a couple of times. I've been stuck on episode 2 for days and Mrs Isaboo is on E7 and just keeps shaking her head at me.

But how else does one watch time travel shows?? :2bong:

isaboo fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 7, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched the first episode of Dark earlier and made it over halfway before losing focus. I wanna know what that note says.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This is now my favorite twitter thread, he's been watching the whole series:

https://twitter.com/ICELEVEL/status/1246297853116289024?s=20

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ll be honest, I kinda love the whole 1940s-1990s era of UFO poo poo. I don’t believe an iota of it and the current Ancient Aliens poo poo that’s popular is horrifically racist and dumb as hell, but that 50 year span is a fascinating little chunk of what is essentially modern folklore.

Specifically in America, it’s a snapshot of the culture at that time. You’ve got the constant “they say we have to stop using nukes!” warnings in the 50s and Project Blue Book, and the rise of “abduction” reports in the 60s starting with the Betty & Barney Hill case (which in itself is interesting because, as an interracial couple, they were afraid to come forward and had to deal with so much racist poo poo in the process). Post-Watergate everything becomes less benign and more sinister as the public loses confidence in their government, until you get to the 90s and stuff like The X-Files pushes UFO poo poo fully into the mainstream and now you’ve got these ridiculously complex conspiracies for everything.

I'm going to laugh when ~ancient aliens~ turns out to be real, but our culture is just based on an accidental encounter with a bunch of university phd students on safari...

Or we're like that island off the coast of India, that was pre-metallurgy before some dolts shipwrecked there: no one is allowed to contact us because we're so primitive it is worth protecting.

But man, did I love that pre-millennium UFO/Doomsday schlock that Fox and the networks used to run, ad naseum. That stuff was some primo content! :discourse:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like the explanation of UFO encounters from Hitchhikers Guide: it's just a bunch of space rich kids loving with us. It calls them "teasers."

But yeah, I don't believe a single word of the UFO craze, but it's a really loving cool modern myth.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

David Prowse got credits, it’s not like there isn’t precedent. Crediting is one of the most ridiculous arbitrary processes that comes down to producers’ whims in the end.

They get first credits after the show as "also starring", ahead of Abigail Shapiro and name guest stars like Mark Sheppard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1280485120760307712

MI 2 is by far the worst one.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is now my favorite twitter thread, he's been watching the whole series:

https://twitter.com/ICELEVEL/status/1246297853116289024?s=20

https://twitter.com/ICELEVEL/status/1246516721478844416

:yikes:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Funny enough for the pairing of tweets above.

Mission Impossible 2 is why we got Star Trek: Nemesis.

Paramount called Stuart Baird to bail them out for MI:2 in the editing room because what was filmed was an incomprehensible mess (much more so than the finished product.)

In return for that (and doing the same on Tomb Raider), they promised Baird a chance in the director's chair. He was not happy that this chance ended up being Star Trek and was completely ill suited to working with the franchise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Curse America's brief obsession with hardboiled HK action!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Also they're not just phoning in a couple of days work seeing how often Bomer actually appeared last season in flashbacks and such (Fraser less so but he still popped up every now and again.) But they still should give the physical guys opening credits billing too.

Do the stuntmen deliver the characters' lines during original shooting? I'm pretty curious, but I imagine they would for the sake of accurate physical movement and the other actors' lines.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Do the stuntmen deliver the characters' lines during original shooting? I'm pretty curious, but I imagine they would for the sake of accurate physical movement and the other actors' lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFho0_G1VI

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Really enjoying the High Fidelity tv adapation on Hulu. Zoe Kravitz is playing the John Cusack role and it's oddly authentic to the feeling of the movie while taking place in modern times. My favorite line so far is when she's in a bar where an rear end in a top hat misogynist dude complete ignores her and talks all over and she says that talking to him felt like being in a Michael Bay movie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They should've just had him for Dark Helmet in Spaceballs and made that the gag.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bruceski posted:

They should've just had him for Dark Helmet in Spaceballs and made that the gag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDKiQfBs9lo

imo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Mulaney signed a deal with Comedy Central to do two more Sack Lunch Bunch specials.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Mulaney signed a deal with Comedy Central to do two more Sack Lunch Bunch specials.

Ugh. I’d really rather just have two standup specials instead.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ugh. I’d really rather just have two standup specials instead.

Yeah, it was a weird idea that worked OK but I don't need any more of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

It had some good parts that I really enjoyed (the grandma’s new boyfriend part had me cracking up) but there was more than enough of it just in that one hour. If he took it in a new direction for each special, then I’d be down, but I don’t need two more hours of “kids show spoof”.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PostNouveau posted:

I knew going in I'd hate it, and I did. Hopefully it won't take up too much time, because Mulaney is great and one of the few standups I get excited about seeing material from.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It had some good parts that I really enjoyed (the grandma’s new boyfriend part had me cracking up)

yeah, you can solve ‘em, Paul

I loved Sack Lunch Bunch for the most part, I’d definitely rather have a new standup special but this is good too

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Alien probe talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZar4wRP40

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the funniest things Dave Foley has done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tnWFojtcY

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, Home Movies was so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

One of the funniest things Dave Foley has done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tnWFojtcY

Girl Drink Drunk might be the only thing that tops it.