Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you have the cash I'd pick up one of the premium hand grinders just for usability alone. Personally I'm waiting for the Comandante to come in stock. I like my LIDO a lot but changing the grind settings is a huge pain so I'm probably going to give it to my cousin or try to sell it. I love how the Porlex looks but that's all. The handle on mine slipped off a lot but I thought the new version locked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I really quite like my hand grinder but I now find myself occasionally wanting to make coffee for more than one person. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good electric grinder that will work for an aeropress, a moka pot and a french press?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

HERAK posted:

I really quite like my hand grinder but I now find myself occasionally wanting to make coffee for more than one person. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good electric grinder that will work for an aeropress, a moka pot and a french press?

Price range?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Mu Zeta posted:

If you have the cash I'd pick up one of the premium hand grinders just for usability alone. Personally I'm waiting for the Comandante to come in stock. I like my LIDO a lot but changing the grind settings is a huge pain so I'm probably going to give it to my cousin or try to sell it. I love how the Porlex looks but that's all. The handle on mine slipped off a lot but I thought the new version locked on.

I'm in the same boat but I just dropped 300 for a freshroast 540 with the extension tube and modified chaff collector so I'm cutting myself off.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Gunder posted:

Price range?

Ah knew I should have waited until after my 2nd cup of the day to post. around £100 - £150ish but higher is also possible if it's a great machine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

HERAK posted:

Ah knew I should have waited until after my 2nd cup of the day to post. around £100 - £150ish but higher is also possible if it's a great machine.

I'd say a Baratza Encore? It's right in that price range, and should be capable of all the things you want it to do.

https://baratza.com/grinder/encore/

Edit: The only thing I'm not so sure about is the moka pot range, as that is pretty close to espresso, and the Encore isn't an espresso grinder.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 5, 2020

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

HERAK posted:

I should be recieving the Wilfa Svart sometime in the next week, I'll give you a trip report if you'd like? Like it's been said it might not do Moka as it's very close to espresso but I can definitely give opinion on pour over and french press et Al.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Gunder posted:

I'd say a Baratza Encore? It's right in that price range, and should be capable of all the things you want it to do.

https://baratza.com/grinder/encore/

Edit: The only thing I'm not so sure about is the moka pot range, as that is pretty close to espresso, and the Encore isn't an espresso grinder.

You will be plenty fine with an Encore with a moka pot. Espresso grinds are a whole other beast

Gunder
May 22, 2003

With Munkaboo's clarification, I'd happily recommend the Encore. It's a really well made, well-reviewed grinder.

Edit: Here's an in-depth review of the Encore: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-coffee-grinder/

Here's a James Hoffmann comparative review of the Wilfa and the Encore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gm6UfD9qSc

Both grinders perform pretty similarly, the Wilfa will probably be a bit cheaper. Baratza is known for having a fantastic support and repair network, I can't speak to that about the Wilfa, as I have never owned one.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 5, 2020

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I use an encore with a moka pot all the time. I usually have it set at the 20 mark. You just need to grind it a bit coarser than the perforations in the basket so the grounds don’t get forced through.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Don't forget you can buy the m2 burr which is used in the virtuoso for an easy and awesome upgrade to the Encore

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Try to grab an Encore or Virtuoso refurbished or even used. Virtuoso is in stock for 150. Edit: oops ships to US only.

https://www.baratza.com/shop/refurb

They’re really bulletproof. I don’t mess with Espresso and my setup right now is pretty great with no upgrades needed for a while. My only variable is the new beans I try. Everything else is dialed in.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you're buying in the UK, then you can certainly get an Encore from coffeehit.co.uk. They have them currently for around £130.

Edit: They also sell refurbished models for cheaper, although I don't think they have any refurbs in stock at the moment.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does anyone know if the Upgrade to Preciso Burr Kit is compatible with Maestros? It seems like it probably should be but I can't find any actual confirmation.

Edit: Oh never mind. If you look at the page for the GB 2.0 kit by itself (without the burr from the upgrade kit) it has actual instructions on how to check for compatibility although annoyingly you have to open it and look at the motor.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 5, 2020

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Gunder posted:

With Munkaboo's clarification, I'd happily recommend the Encore. It's a really well made, well-reviewed grinder.

Edit: Here's an in-depth review of the Encore: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-coffee-grinder/

Here's a James Hoffmann comparative review of the Wilfa and the Encore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gm6UfD9qSc

Both grinders perform pretty similarly, the Wilfa will probably be a bit cheaper. Baratza is known for having a fantastic support and repair network, I can't speak to that about the Wilfa, as I have never owned one.

I went down a James Hoffmann rabbit hole over the weekend. I think it will be the Baratza with the upgraded burrs, I'll need to check the various cookware stores around me. and see if they have a second hand one lurking somewhere.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

HERAK posted:

I went down a James Hoffmann rabbit hole over the weekend. I think it will be the Baratza with the upgraded burrs, I'll need to check the various cookware stores around me. and see if they have a second hand one lurking somewhere.

You might want to see if anywhere is selling a Virtuoso+ refurbed. Saves you the upgrade.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So what's the recommended entry level espresso machine these days? I've only done a quick search and it looks I'll be spending around $1,000 AUD. Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silva seem to be the most common

Gunder
May 22, 2003

There's also the cheaper Breville/Sage stuff too. I like my Breville Barista Pro a lot. Silvia is probably better, though more expensive.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

screaden posted:

So what's the recommended entry level espresso machine these days? I've only done a quick search and it looks I'll be spending around $1,000 AUD. Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silva seem to be the most common

Hell for ~1000AUD you could get a Europiccola, but that's not exactly entry level. Same website has the Gaggia Classic though for 800AUD

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

screaden posted:

You’ll also need to budget for a grinder if you don’t have one yet, espresso grinders are expensive. Rancillio Rocky + Silvia is a pretty common recommendation for entry level espresso. It’s a single boiler machine though, so if you want to steam milk and make coffee, it can take a while.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
You also likely want to get one with a PID installed (or buy a kit and do it yourself), unless you're a superfan of surfing for the right temperatures.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My ROK coffee grinder seems to be delayed. It's in the country since the weekend, but according to the tracking code hasn't been handed over to the local mail service yet. No bragging rights and pictures yet :(

red19fire
May 26, 2010

HERAK posted:

This is what I did and it’s fantastic. There was a virtuoso posted on baratza’s refurb section for $150 that was gone within a day. The Encore with the M2 upgrade ended up being about $165 for me.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lord Stimperor posted:

My ROK coffee grinder seems to be delayed. It's in the country since the weekend, but according to the tracking code hasn't been handed over to the local mail service yet. No bragging rights and pictures yet :(

*Shakes fist at covid*

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

You’ll also need to budget for a grinder if you don’t have one yet, espresso grinders are expensive. Rancillio Rocky + Silvia is a pretty common recommendation for entry level espresso. It’s a single boiler machine though, so if you want to steam milk and make coffee, it can take a while.

I've been using the v60 for a while but sometimes miss my flat whites so I've already got the Baratza Encore, will that be sufficient?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Hell for ~1000AUD you could get a Europiccola, but that's not exactly entry level. Same website has the Gaggia Classic though for 800AUD

I hadn't even thought about manual ones, I just assumed they were all crazy expensive.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

screaden posted:

I've been using the v60 for a while but sometimes miss my flat whites so I've already got the Baratza Encore, will that be sufficient?

I hadn't even thought about manual ones, I just assumed they were all crazy expensive.

No, for espresso an Encore is definitely not sufficient. If you like the Baratza line, I think the Vario is the first grinder that can output decent espresso quality.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

screaden posted:

I’ll be able to tell you Thursday, I’ve ordered an espresso machine but haven’t gotten my new grinder yet either so I’ll be testing it out with my old encore.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When it comes to espresso, the problem with something like the Encore is that you can’t make small enough adjustments to properly dial in the grind size. Espresso grinders, like the Eureka Mignon Specialita, or the Baratza Sette 270, have way more grind settings, so you can really minutely control the grind size.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Oh, I’m aware, but it will be interesting to go from an entry level machine to a high end one.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Oh, I’m aware, but it will be interesting to go from an entry level machine to a high end one.

What about the mignon filtro? https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/eureka-mignon-filtro-coffee-grinder-black

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

It's supposed to be Eureka's grinder for filter (duh) coffees, but it has the same adjustment knob as my Specialita, so it could work for espresso. I'd ask the retailer to be sure, though.

The Manuale is supposed to be their entry-level espresso grinder - it's the same as the Silenzio, sans noise-damping or the timer

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

It's supposed to be Eureka's grinder for filter (duh) coffees, but it has the same adjustment knob as my Specialita, so it could work for espresso. I'd ask the retailer to be sure, though.

The Manuale is supposed to be their entry-level espresso grinder - it's the same as the Silenzio, sans noise-damping or the timer

Yeah I have the Eureka Mignon Instantaneo and love it. It and the filtro both have 50mm burrs so I would assume they would grind similarly?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
So, while the encore can grind fine, it reeeeaaaally struggles at the finest settings. Lowest I was able to set it and still get coffee was #4, but I think I still need finer as my extraction ran too fast.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Grinder has finally arrived, looking forward to trying to dial in the grind size.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 9, 2020

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
does the thing on your wall say Gone Suckin’

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Normie coffee alert:

Nespresso essenza mini with milk frother is on sale at Macy's for $125. This is a good price for this machine (I paid $140 on sale, no milk frother) and it's a rock.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...%21Single+Serve

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

prayer group posted:

does the thing on your wall say Gone Suckin’

If it does, I want to buy one.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

evilolive posted:

Sadly not, it's gone surfing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

evilolive posted:

i'll make this happen but shipping might be iffy unless you happen to be canadian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Does that Wilfa Svart have a version that comes with a US plug or is it European only?