Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

alex gets horny for bobby in the books despite being like 30 years his senior

i'm cancelling alex and cas and none of you can stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

T-man posted:

alex gets horny for bobby in the books despite being like 30 years his senior

i'm cancelling alex and cas and none of you can stop me

that plus this is what books!Alex looks like

yeah, I can see him doing sex crimes

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm so confused by James S.A. Corey responded to the allegation that "he" was staking "his" reputation on it, when he is in fact two people that co-wrote the expanse. This is weird.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm so confused by James S.A. Corey responded to the allegation that "he" was staking "his" reputation on it, when he is in fact two people that co-wrote the expanse. This is weird.

They've said before that they prefer to think of the books as the product of one person instead of two people co-authoring, sort of a brand.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Eiba posted:

Yeah, we're going to have to deal with Cas Anvar in season 5. Depending on why it feels bad there are a couple ways to think about it:

First, Alex is a fictional character. Even if an rear end in a top hat is portraying him, there's nothing wrong with Alex who is a cool and good guy who doesn't engage in any predatory activity.

Well, I mean he did abandon his wife and kid to go fly spaceships... AND let them think for years that he'd died on the Cant...

Kind of a lovely thing to do. But yeah, I get your point.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 7, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
lol how Alex was into a married lady and immediately backed off when he realised she wasn't available.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Its openly acknowledged that only one of the authors runs the joint Twitter. Hint; its the author who didn't also respond from a personal account.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

On an emotional level I know both of these rationalizations are unsatisfying, but I think they're worth keeping in mind, and rationalizations in general are worth attempting. The Expanse is cool and Cas Anvar, by all accounts, sucks. Don't let a jerk like him ruin something good.

We're already supporting Amazon by watching the show, so that isn't great either. At least his behavior is out in the open and being discussed now.

If some bad things happen to the character of Alex next season, I may enjoy that more than I normally would

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Look as a Stargate fan, just bring in Ben Browder or Claudia Black to replace Alex.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jack2142 posted:

Look as a Stargate fan, just bring in Ben Browder or Claudia Black to replace Alex.

Wil Wheaton

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Okay, so the Roci is involved in a battle, and suffers some damage that causes a console to break with big shards sticking out, and Alex slams into the console, and the shards jab into his brain killing him painfully. BUT! There was some Protomolocule schmutz on the console that they missed during decontamination, and it's able to merge Alex's consciousness with the Roci, so now the Roci can fly itself and a Texan vocoder can do all of Alex's lines. Also, to make sure there's no possible further Protomolecule contamination, they strap Alex's body to a nuke and launch it at the sun, where his body is definitely destroyed so Cas can never come back to the show.

We get to "keep" Alex, but get rid of Cas.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

davidspackage posted:

We're already supporting Amazon by watching the show, so that isn't great either. At least his behavior is out in the open and being discussed now.

If some bad things happen to the character of Alex next season, I may enjoy that more than I normally would

Assuming the showrunners do the right thing, they deserve to be supported for that. There’s still plenty who are enablers of bad behavior on the set, if not active participants in it.

It’d be different if Anvar were an inseparable part of the production, like Bill Cosby with The Cosby Show. I don’t know if I can ever watch that again, but I am for drat sure not spending a penny if it will go into his pocket.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Alex dies off screen of space justice, holden tearfully turns on the autopilot AI that's been sitting there the entire time and roci flies herself.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I suppose the creators might have some sentiment towards the character and want to recast in order to have a "real" Alex we can remember fondly after the show is done.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I wonder if there are many s5 scenes where alex can be cut out?
I hope he's paid by screen time and gets rekt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I doubt it. If they aren't changing the book too much, Alex is extremely important this season.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Jack2142 posted:

As a fan of Stargate, Farscape, and Claudia Black in general, I'm 100% down with replacing Alex with her.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

only if Browder does that accent.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Wa11y posted:

Okay, so the Roci is involved in a battle, and suffers some damage that causes a console to break with big shards sticking out, and Alex slams into the console, and the shards jab into his brain killing him painfully. BUT! There was some Protomolocule schmutz on the console that they missed during decontamination, and it's able to merge Alex's consciousness with the Roci, so now the Roci can fly itself and a Texan vocoder can do all of Alex's lines. Also, to make sure there's no possible further Protomolecule contamination, they strap Alex's body to a nuke and launch it at the sun, where his body is definitely destroyed so Cas can never come back to the show.

We get to "keep" Alex, but get rid of Cas.

That is completely insane and illogical. Why would they send a nuke into the sun, just send a regular old rocket and save yourself the warhead.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Chaos option: make Alex trans, replace with trans actress

Cyberpunk option: deepfake Alex in without Cas using Bezosbux

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I think the "clarissa mao becomes the new alex" is probably the least controversial option?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

T-man posted:

:hmmyes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Best case scenario is they recast.

Worst case scenario is they do an ~independent investigation~ and determine there was no wrongdoing.

Also, let’s not act like major Hollywood productions have not already done this, up to and including huge, expensive reshoots when they recast a main character.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

T-man posted:

I almost posted earlier to ask what the ethics would be of deepfaking a living actor against their will

But I decided not to

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Worst case scenario is they do an ~independent investigation~ and determine there was no wrongdoing.

Also, let’s not act like major Hollywood productions have not already done this, up to and including huge, expensive reshoots when they recast a main character.

So you're saying Christopher Plummer will be Alex in season 5?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

While I appreciate the recommendations to have Ben Browser or Claudia Black replace Alex's character, the obvious best answer is to crossover Scorpius.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh man, if they just straight up brought in the Scorpius character. chef's kiss. Bonus points for the version in his head with the hawaiian shirt.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Data Graham posted:

I almost posted earlier to ask what the ethics would be of deepfaking a living actor against their will

But I decided not to

Zemeckis got sued for replacing Crispin Glover for Back to the Future Pt2 with an actor made up to look just like him.

"According to Wikipedia posted:

Crispin Glover was asked to reprise the role of George McFly. He expressed interest, but could not come to an agreement with the producers regarding his salary. He stated in a 1992 interview on The Howard Stern Show that the producers' highest offer was $125,000, less than half of what the other returning cast members were offered. Gale has since asserted that Glover's demands were excessive for an actor of his professional stature at that time. In an interview on the Opie and Anthony show in 2013, Glover stated that his primary reason for not doing Part II was a philosophical disagreement on the film's message; Glover felt the story rewarded the characters with financial gain, such as Marty's truck, rather than love.

Rather than write George McFly out of the film, Zemeckis used previously filmed footage of Glover from the first film as well as new footage of actor Jeffrey Weissman, who wore prosthetics including a false chin, nose, and cheekbones to resemble Glover. Various techniques were used to obfuscate the Weissman footage, such as placing him in the background rather than the foreground, having him wear sunglasses, and hanging him upside down. Glover filed a lawsuit against the producers of the film on the grounds that they neither owned his likeness nor had permission to use it. As a result of this suit, there are now clauses in the Screen Actors Guild collective bargaining agreements which state that producers and actors are not allowed to use such methods to reproduce the likeness of other actors. Glover's legal action, while resolved outside of the courts, has been considered as a key case in personality rights for actors with increasing use of improved special effects and digital media, in which an actor may have agreed to appear in one part of a production but have their likeness be used in another without their agreement.

If it's done with permission from the actor (or their estate, like in the use of Carrie Fisher's likeness Star Wars).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Zemeckis got sued for replacing Crispin Glover for Back to the Future Pt2 with an actor made up to look just like him.

If it's done with permission from the actor (or their estate, like in the use of Carrie Fisher's likeness Star Wars).

Presumably, they would have the permission of whatever actor was chosen to replace with a deepfake? So not 100% insane?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I think the latter would be challenging in this case because this has to have damaged Cas’s relationship with the rest of the cast, possibly to the extent that they won’t be able to act well alongside him.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Presumably, they would have the permission of whatever actor was chosen to replace with a deepfake? So not 100% insane?
That's not helpful. In these cases of course you can count on the permission of the actor who is covered up, either via makeup (as in BttF II) or via deepfake. The actor who you don't have permission from is the person being excluded from acting in the thing and they're the one whose permission you need.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Offer a fat Amazon payoff in exchange for his likeness. We're talking about a production coming from a business with more money than most countries.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

T-man posted:

Offer a fat Amazon payoff in exchange for his likeness. We're talking about a production coming from a business with more money than most countries.

If the point is to punish his misbehavior through loss of employment, what the gently caress would this accomplish?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's not helpful. In these cases of course you can count on the permission of the actor who is covered up, either via makeup (as in BttF II) or via deepfake. The actor who you don't have permission from is the person being excluded from acting in the thing and they're the one whose permission you need.

The way I read that, they ran afoul of the law because they tried to copy his likeness. If you deepfaked it to make him look like someone completely different, with that person's VA replacing, would they need the original actor's permission, since their likeness is not being used?

Anywho, it's all moot. Pretty sure they will release the next season as-is and recast for future shoots. :shrug:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Slashrat posted:

If the point is to punish his misbehavior through loss of employment, what the gently caress would this accomplish?

the point is to literally get him out of the spotlight so your lovely company can save face, not anything moral. this is capitalism, remember?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Giving him a fat payout in order to be able to continue to use his likeness in the work going forward, even without his continuing involvement, doesn't seem like it would accomplish either of those things.

Anyway, I misunderstood the post I responded to as a suggestion for what Amazon should do, not what the poster thought they were likely to do.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Oh man, if they just straight up brought in the Scorpius character. chef's kiss. Bonus points for the version in his head with the hawaiian shirt.

https://i.imgur.com/5Mi4tam.mp4

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

What's wrong with Catwoman?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I can't see recasting Alex. IMO, he has to be written out and replaced as a crew member, as impossible as that seems. Some of his best moments are yet to come, going by the books*.

I think this would mean (spoilers) the show might keep around at least one character longer than they're supposed to live

*That said, if I were to choose any of the original 4 crew to be replaced, he's probably it. Clarissa's arc could have even more meaning if she doesn't loving die soon after being accepted.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I can't see recasting Alex. IMO, he has to be written out and replaced as a crew member, as impossible as that seems. Some of his best moments are yet to come, going by the books*.

By the same logic, I can see recasting as the best route. I hope they choose well though.