Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jared Leto also insists on doing these extreme physical transformations for roles that nobody even loving remembers. It's like he only understood the gaining/losing weight part of method acting and nothing else while he desperately tries to be the next Robert DeNiro or even Christian Bale. I mean, who can recall that he got up to 250lbs in order to play Mark David Chapman? Or all the poo poo he did to play the Joker in Suicide Squad, and now every "Who is the Best Joker?" includes Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, Heath Ledger, and Joaquin Phoenix while skipping right the gently caress over him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

fuuuuuck yeah gimme more tron and bring back the cartoon!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Because we're on a discussion forum?

That was an argument imo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No it wasn't :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Or all the poo poo he did to play the Joker in Suicide Squad, and now every "Who is the Best Joker?" includes Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, Heath Ledger, and Joaquin Phoenix while skipping right the gently caress over him?

to be fair that's people deliberately snubbing him out of a combination of "everybody hates Leto" and "that Joker was a fundamentally bad idea"

i think he actually did fine in that role, and the problems were mostly conceptual ones that Leto really couldn't have done anything about (it was Ayer's call to make the Joker a weird pseudo-gangsta, not Leto), but i get screamed at whenever i say that outside of SA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brad Pitt is teaming up with David Leitch for an action movie set on a Japanese bullet train, called Bullet Train. Apparently the plot is that Pitt is playing an American hitman on a train traveling the Japanese countryside and he discovers that there are other hitmen on the train as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Brad Pitt is teaming up with David Leitch for an action movie set on a Japanese bullet train, called Bullet Train. Apparently the plot is that Pitt is playing an American hitman on a train traveling the Japanese countryside and he discovers that there are other hitmen on the train as well.

All the passengers are hitmen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lobok posted:

Except for the woman or child he's trying to protect, until the end, when BLAM! it's revealed that they are a hit-person, and were hired to kill Pitt.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's a con-baby, in a flashback we see it don a different diaper and then slip into the carriage.

Edit: the other baby is shown on a changing shelf in a bathroom, tied but unharmed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lobok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TYaJWE_W3g

Subway, train. Tomato, tomato.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

That was an argument imo.

A lot of the time in these situations I end up keeping the argument/discussion going because I just restate my argument over and over in an attempt to clarify it.

But there's also a tendency here to get a lot of pushback if you question a highly respected director's artistic vision, and I get that. I think having an opinion on those things is fine as long as you don't let it prevent you from watching and enjoying the director's actual work on it's own terms. If the Furiosa prequel comes out and it's fantastic and the new Furiosa knocks it out of the park I'll have no problem acknowledging that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

feedmyleg posted:

Wait why not Cillian Murphy he was set up by Legacy for a sequel and he's so much better than Leto :mad:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

But there's also a tendency here to get a lot of pushback if you question a highly respected director's artistic vision, and I get that. I think having an opinion on those things is fine as long as you don't let it prevent you from watching and enjoying the director's actual work on it's own terms. If the Furiosa prequel comes out and it's fantastic and the new Furiosa knocks it out of the park I'll have no problem acknowledging that.

Antifa Poltergeist posted a number of reasons he thought the prequel sounded like a potentially lousy idea. Literally no one responded.

You posted that George Miller was an idiot for not throwing away the movie he had been planning to make. People took issue with that.

It's not the basic idea of questioning his decisions that people are responding poorly to.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Antifa Poltergeist posted a number of reasons he thought the prequel sounded like a potentially lousy idea. Literally no one responded.

You posted that George Miller was an idiot for not throwing away the movie he had been planning to make. People took issue with that.

It's not the basic idea of questioning his decisions that people are responding poorly to.

Ah, well now I think I can see the specific words that offended you. I said the decision Miller made was stupid, so just to be clear that's not the same thing as calling the man an idiot. I think you're overreacting a bit.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

No, I got how you were using "dumb." My point is, I wasn't reacting to your disagreement with his vision. I was reacting to your incredulity that he didn't agree with your vision, your incredulity that he didn't want to abandon a movie he'd already started preparing. That what's struck me as ridiculous.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I don't see why Theron can't play herself 15 years younger, they did it with Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp and nobody complained.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dunno what to tell you, it does seem like a pretty obvious decision to me to make sure you get Theron back if you're gonna do a Furiosa movie. I would bend over backwards to make that happen, that would be #1 priority. But we've established that not everyone feels the same way about her performance in Fury Road as I do, so I understand why there would be disagreement.

So yea I guess I am incredulous. Is that bad?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

to be fair that's people deliberately snubbing him out of a combination of "everybody hates Leto" and "that Joker was a fundamentally bad idea"

i think he actually did fine in that role, and the problems were mostly conceptual ones that Leto really couldn't have done anything about (it was Ayer's call to make the Joker a weird pseudo-gangsta, not Leto), but i get screamed at whenever i say that outside of SA

Yeah, I could never understand the vitriol his Joker got. Suicide Squad wasn't even the first time Joker was in a theatrical movie and not the total focus. Isn't a comics character being an element of a movie what nerds want in a cinematic universe? It might have been received better if he wasn't the first Joker since Ledger, but I don't know.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I thought the Leto Joker was a valid interpretation and he did fine. He puts in effort but his performances don’t feel genuine outside being the brother in Lord of War

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno what to tell you, it does seem like a pretty obvious decision to me to make sure you get Theron back if you're gonna do a Furiosa movie. I would bend over backwards to make that happen, that would be #1 priority. But we've established that not everyone feels the same way about her performance in Fury Road as I do, so I understand why there would be disagreement.

No. And anyone who thinks it is doesn’t want to be a human being.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What the gently caress are you werreting on about?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Well, if you can believe different people have a different opinion than you on this, you're not incredulous. It's specifically a state of disbelief.

Your earlier posts expressed incredulity, so it's not surprising people responded. You're now just expressing a personal opinion, and, as could be expected, even if it's in disagreement with a respected director, no one cares. Everything that wasn't posting about posting died as soon as you agreed that George Miller should make whatever movie he wants. People got into it when you seemingly couldn't believe he wouldn't drop everything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is a discussion forum, but it’s also a place where people can just talk like you would with anyone. So idk why we have to make this a weird discorse thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Emotionally I am incredulous. Rationally I am able to understand that other people may disagree with my opinion.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think the big reason people despise Leto Joker is, as mentioned, his weird pseudo-gangster thing and a lot of the on-set rumors, like him sending used condoms to other people. The idea for that interpretation of the Joker wasn't good from the get, but I don't think Leto deserves sole blame for that, since as far as I know, he didn't make the final decisions on how Joker would be portrayed.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

PenguinKnight posted:

fuuuuuck yeah gimme more tron and bring back the cartoon!

I have never gone so fast from anticipation to antipathy than when I saw Tron 3 trending on twitter and then immediately below it "trending with: Jared Leto." The cartoon was so good. Cast Elijah Wood in whatever role they were going to give to Jared loving Leto. The only thing Jared Leto should be cast in is a volcano.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ChickenMedium posted:

I have never gone so fast from anticipation to antipathy than when I saw Tron 3 trending on twitter and then immediately below it "trending with: Jared Leto."

Extremely :same:

I absolutely love Legacy and I’d kill for a sequel, but Leto is just loving awful and I’d rather have just about any other actor as the lead. gently caress, just bring back the completely bland white guy from Legacy, he can’t be busy right now. Or just focus on Olivia Wilde’s character, Legacy basically ended with her set up as a future lead with Cillian Murphy as the next villain.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...why does Leto keep getting opportunities like that, anyways?

like, I genuinely don't think he's a bad actor, he's been fine-to-great in everything I've seen him in except Blade Runner 2049 (and there, he was clearly just a really loving bad fit for the part, and it made huge amounts of sense when I found out that Niander Wallace was written for Bowie instead).

but also, like, everyone on planet earth hates him. it doesn't matter how good of an actor someone is, if their very presence in a movie will inherently make it get worse reactions and make less money. i genuinely do not understand why he's still getting considered for these parts unless he has, like, some film execs' Epstein tapes or something.

It's be really great if he just stopped appearing in movies, I think I've had enough Jared Leto for a lifetime

that said I thought he was really good in br2049. The fact that the part was written for Bowie makes me really sad though, that would have been amazing

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenMedium posted:

The only thing Jared Leto should be cast in is a volcano.

lol

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I think the big reason people despise Leto Joker is, as mentioned, his weird pseudo-gangster thing and a lot of the on-set rumors, like him sending used condoms to other people. The idea for that interpretation of the Joker wasn't good from the get, but I don't think Leto deserves sole blame for that, since as far as I know, he didn't make the final decisions on how Joker would be portrayed.

Yeah, the final decisions on how Joker would be portrayed came from the studio and that trailer company that recut the movie. The director has talked about how the Joker plotline is one of the most butchered parts. Maybe the original was terrible, and if the Mexican cartel aesthetic doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you, but in terms of executing on the idea it seems hard to judge when most of the original version was cut or reshot.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Leto's performance in BR2049 is too much weird for the sake of weird. If he put a little charisma into it he could have sold it a lot better. Bowie would have been a natural, just see his performance as Pontius Pilate.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

The director has talked about how the Joker plotline is one of the most butchered parts. Maybe the original was terrible
The stuff I've seen of the cut Joker sequences wasn't super inspiring, but probably would have worked in the context of the character as Harley's skeezy ex-boyfriend.
One of them had Joker try to sway Harley back to his side after throwing her out of a helicopter by proclaiming himself the king of Gotham and saying "every king needs his sweet little bitch".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cacator posted:

Leto's performance in BR2049 is too much weird for the sake of weird. If he put a little charisma into it he could have sold it a lot better. Bowie would have been a natural, just see his performance as Pontius Pilate.

yeah, this is basically why I don't think Leto was a good fit. Leto as Wallace comes off like he's affecting being a weird, offputting dude, whereas Bowie was pretty much at that level of weird 24/7 anyways and would have felt way more natural, like the character just is that way.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thinking about Bowie in that role and it makes a lot of sense. Otherwise imagining Christopher Lee if he could have been in that role sounding almost poetic with that gravitas of a voice and line delivery could have also worked at a man sounding like he's channeling God/Creator.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Young Freud posted:

IIRC, and it was from that first chapter of "Freakonomics", is that a lot of people thought the crime rate would peak sometime around 1996-1997, which didn't happen largely because of aggressive policing, an improved economy, and, as the book argues, legalized abortion.

A far bigger factor than the gnarly, though not totally false, abortion argument is that leaded gasoline was banned in the 70s, and then lead in new plumbing, so by 1996 lead levels in blood in the US had dropped 70%. You can roughly see the same drop in crime rates a generation after banning tetraethyl in gas elsewhere too

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Robot Style posted:

The stuff I've seen of the cut Joker sequences wasn't super inspiring, but probably would have worked in the context of the character as Harley's skeezy ex-boyfriend.
One of them had Joker try to sway Harley back to his side after throwing her out of a helicopter by proclaiming himself the king of Gotham and saying "every king needs his sweet little bitch".

Yeah, the bits and pieces I heard laid a lot of the butchering back at Ayers' feet since he supposedly wanted the Joker to be way more of an abusive rear end in a top hat which would have probably been too unpleasant and generally bad anyway, and then when the recut changed the tone it completely stood out and had to get recut to pieces on top of what already happened.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

muscles like this! posted:

Throw Mr. and Mrs. Smith From The Train

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its based on a Japanese novel that hasn't been translated into English yet.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Throw Mr. and Mrs. Smith From The Train

drat this is good.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

yeah, this is basically why I don't think Leto was a good fit. Leto as Wallace comes off like he's affecting being a weird, offputting dude, whereas Bowie was pretty much at that level of weird 24/7 anyways and would have felt way more natural, like the character just is that way.

But that, in turn, fits the aesthetic of the world and the layers performance and artifice that everyone has up at all times. It fits the way his corporate hq is just a far bigger version of the Tyrell HQ. The character is playing a character within the movie. If you don't make those insane 'we'll build colony ships' ceos weird dorks, people start thinking they're actually good, like Mr House in New Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Gatts posted:

Thinking about Bowie in that role and it makes a lot of sense. Otherwise imagining Christopher Lee if he could have been in that role sounding almost poetic with that gravitas of a voice and line delivery could have also worked at a man sounding like he's channeling God/Creator.

Imagine Fassbender in that role.

It was just such a weird and offkilt performance, like Leto was acting in a different movie, it's just jarring.the movie comes to a halt when he's on screen.the only part where it kinda works is the Rachel scene.mf is the devil, wanting to buy your soul.